• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

jchap

GGG looks unbeatable as a MW. I don't think Sergio has anything for him. I think Andre Ward still handles him if and when he steps up to SMW.

We at least know GGG has a chin now.

muddream

Banned
He doesn't have the speed to focus on defense and potshotting contests like Mayweather/Rigondeaux. He wants his opponents to think he's open for power punches...pawing with both hands against a puncher like Stevens is pretty nuts, but it works for him.

abuC

He doesn't have the speed to focus on defense and potshotting contests like Mayweather/Rigondeaux. He wants his opponents to think he's open for power punches...pawing with both hands against a puncher like Stevens is pretty nuts, but it works for him.

He doesn't need to be a speed demon to just move his head a bit ha.

muddream

Banned
Meh...I think it comes with the territory of fighting at his weird range. It's not like he's looked like Rocky Balboa at any point..

abuC

ggg1.gif

Tom_Cody

Abdusalamov is in a medically induced coma. Fuck.
I hope he's ok. I haven't seen any updates yet today.

:/

An exciting heavyweight fight! I didn't know such a thing still existed.
Seriously. It's rare to see heavyweights who are willing to exchange and also able to withstand the power of their opponents. Usually heavyweight fights with spirited exchanges quickly end in knockouts. Early on in the first round they had each landed huge shots and both had adsorbed them well. From that point on it was clear that this was going to be a brutal contest.

I can't believe their managers agreed to this fight. Apparently they only made like $30k-$40k each. It just seems like such a waste. They should be fighting guys like Chazz Witherspoon at this point in their careers, not each other. They stood to gain nothing by risking their "O" for such little money.

Nice fight, but obviously neither will ever be a challenge to Wladimir. I'd love to see more "equal" fights though.
I'm just waiting for Wlad to age out of his reign. Once that happens there are a lot of good fights to be made among the next tier of fighters.

jimbor

Banned
I hope he's ok. I haven't seen any updates yet today.

:/

Seriously. It's rare to see heavyweights who are willing to exchange and also able to withstand the power of their opponents. Usually heavyweight fights with spirited exchanges quickly end in knockouts. Early on in the first round they had each landed huge shots and both had adsorbed them well. From that point on it was clear that this was going to be a brutal contest.

I can't believe their managers agreed to this fight. Apparently they only made like $30k-$40k each. It just seems like such a waste. They should be fighting guys like Chazz Witherspoon at this point in their careers, not each other. They stood to gain nothing by risking their "O" for such little money.

I'm just waiting for Wlad to age out of his reign. Once that happens there are a lot of good fights to be made among the next tier of fighters.

I like it. The obsession with the '0' nowadays is one of the many problems with boxing.

Tom_Cody

God-tier GIF. It was amazing to see this moment occur live. I expect to see this posted a lot in the years to come.
Yeah, Stevens got several big hits through. GGG is still too open at times, though I guess it comes with such aggressiveness.
I personally believe that he could fight with a more defensive style but he chooses not to. He doesn't want to wind up the boxing jail that Rigondeaux is currently in. He is trying to become must-see TV and he is succeeding.

He out-landed Stevens literally 3 to 1. Literally 3 to 1.
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=golovkin-stevens-compubox

When have we seen that before. He's not just a crude wrecking machine. He is extraordinarily technically skill and he chooses to apply those skills in an aggressive style to score KOs.

What the fuck did GGG just say?
He is seriously the Shannon Sharpe of boxing.

Tom_Cody

I like it. The obsession with the '0' nowadays is one of the many problems with boxing.
There is a difference between overly protecting a fighter and sending him into a bloodbath for no money. Why not let them build up their prominence a bit before pairing them against each other? AFAIK this was the network debut for both of them.

One of them is seriously injured, hopefully not permanently, and he made $40,000 for the fight. If either of them had fought on the network even a couple times and garnered impressive performances prior to making this match their purses could have be 5 times greater.

jimbor

Banned
There is a difference between overly protecting a fighter and sending him into a bloodbath for no money. Why not let them build up their prominence a bit before pairing them against each other? AFAIK this was the network debut for both of them.

One of them is seriously injured, hopefully not permanently, and he made $40,000 for the fight. If either of them had fought on the network even a couple times and garnered impressive performances prior to making this match their purses could have be 5 times greater.

I see what you're saying but ifs and buts and all that jazz.

Tom_Cody

I see what you're saying but ifs and buts and all that jazz.
I'll admit that my argument is based on hypotheticals. Still, I think it's pretty clear that these guys both stand to climb further in the sport (crossing my fingers that Abdusalamov fully recovers) and that a fight like this could have been made at a point further along in their careers.

Heel

Sometimes it's best to ignore the politics and enjoy what you've been given. Two undefeated heavyweights just went at it it for your entertainment, and that should be a good thing.

I completely understand where you're coming from, though. Sometimes I wish I was naive to all of the inner workings of prizefighting and just played my role as a bloodlusting spectator.

GGG is a machine, but I think Ward would handle him easily. Martinez he would walk down and stop, Chavez probably the same thing. I thought Quillin fought scared against Rosado, and GGG beat Rosado's ass with the flu, lol, so I think he beats Kid Choc too. How about GGG versus Canelo? He said he would fight at 154; that would be a big fight for him. Floyd is out of the question.

muddream

Banned
Canelo isn't even as good as Quillin. I only see Ward beating him around his weight...funniest fight would be Froch or JCCjr getting his brains scrambled.

Oh, I don't think Canelo can win, but that would be guaranteed action, and Canelo has a big fan base so GGG would get a nice payday. I almost forgot about Froch; that would be amusing while it lasts. Froch is a tough guy, at least.

Tom_Cody

GGG is a machine, but I think Ward would handle him easily. Martinez he would walk down and stop, Chavez probably the same thing. I thought Quillin fought scared against Rosado, and GGG beat Rosado's ass with the flu, lol, so I think he beats Kid Choc too. How about GGG versus Canelo? He said he would fight at 154; that would be a big fight for him. Floyd is out of the question.

Canelo isn't even as good as Quillin. I only see Ward beating him around his weight...funniest fight would be Froch or JCCjr getting his brains scrambled.
It will be really interesting to see how these fights play out over the next few years. Canelo and Cotto are the two big money players here. Martinez is not going to get close to Golovkin until he has fought both of those guys (or unless those fights fall through).

As far as I can interpret the rumors circulating around the boxing world, it looks like Freddy Roach wants Cotto to fight Martinez which, to me, means that Roach and Cotto believe that they can win. That would be a PPV fight and, if he wins, it would set up an even bigger PPV fight between Cotto and Canelo.

Canelo already has 3 PPV fights scheduled for 2014. To me that looks like some combination of Carlos Molina, Erislandy Lara (assuming he beats Trout), the winner of Demetrius Andrade vs. Vanes Martirosyan, Cotto, and Victor Ortiz. I seriously doubt that he will move up to 160 until 2015. When he does move up to 160, I see his first opponent being Peter Quillin

I see Martinez as being semi-retired currently. The only two fighters I can see him stepping in the ring against are Cotto, Canelo and JCCjr. Those are all PPV fights. He stands to gain nothing from fighting Golovkin or anyone else. His status can only go down from where he is and I don't think he would risk injury against any minor opponents or risk losing against Golovkin.

Regarding Golokin, he has a few options buy he largely does not control his own destiny. HBO has already said they expect him to fight Martin Murray next. Murray almost beat Martinez so that would be another nice win Golovkin. If he beats him easily it will do a lot to strengthen his claim as being the best at 160 without having to get Martinez into the ring. After that I see him going up against the winner of Barker-Sturm. HBO likes Barker and Golovkin's promoters are European so he can fight over there if he needs to do that to face Sturm. At this point, if he has raised his status enough, he will be able to look for a big PPV fight or he can move up to 168 where there will be a wealth of b-level opponents that he will be able to make money fighting against while he continues to haunt the big PPV names.

Whew, that was a lot of hypotheticals. It will be fun to see how this all plays out.

muddream

Banned
GGG can easily go down to 154 when the right fight presents itself. I can't picture him moving up to 168 for anyone other than Froch/Ward. He's gradually becoming a name and one of the only standout HBO fighters left, I'd be surprised if he was still fighting gatekeepers this time next year-

Tom_Cody

GGG can easily go down to 154 when the right fight presents itself. I can't picture him moving up to 168 for anyone other than Froch/Ward. He's gradually becoming a name and one of the only standout HBO fighters left, I'd be surprised if he was still fighting gatekeepers this time next year-
I don't think anyone at 154 will fight him. 154 really only matters if it could get a fight with Cotto, Alvarez, or Mayweather and all of those fights seem unlikely right for the next year or two.

At 168 he could face Carl Froch, Robert Stieglitz, Andre Ward, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, Edwin Rodriguez (if he does well enough against Ward to remain viable), Mikkel Kessler, and Arthur Abraham. All of those fights would make money in Europe and the US (some more than others depending on the territory). PPV boxing is an entirely different industry than the rest of the sport. Even if he doesn't rise to the level of being a PPV star he can still make a lot of money fighting this other level of fighter as long as he continues to look impressive and continues to be entertaining.

JLG-

Darchinyan looking real good.

edit: Donaire looked like shit but all it took was that one left hook to finally land.

jchap

Donaire looks like a shell of his prime.

Mikey Garcia looks like a great combination of a skilled boxer with huge power

Heel

Um, James Toney is in a one-night heavyweight tournament on Thursday.

Thursday, November 14

*Sky Sports (UK), 3:00 pm EST, Prizefighter - International Heavyweights. Jason Gavern, Michael Sprott, James Toney, Damian Wills, Larry Olubamiwo, Tom Little, Matt Legg, and Brian Minto will square off in a single elimination tournament until a winner is crowned. 2012 Super Heavyweight Gold Medalist Anthony Joshua will have his 3rd pro fight against Hrvoje Kisicek in the "feature attraction."

Prizefighter contender: James Toney

damn.png

jimbor

Banned
LOL

Speaking of Anthony Joshua, he looks like he could be the future of the heavyweight division.
I'm not sold on him yet. Never should've got that gold either. I have more faith in Hughie Fury amounting to something at the moment.

3Sixty

Watching Prize Fighter now.

James Toney is just stood in the middle of the ring throwing bombs.

If Toney gets dropped, he is not getting up, not because he'll be hurt, i don't think he could physically stand from a laying position.

OMG this fight is hilarious.

Heel

smh Toney dropping a 3 round decision to some Joe from Orlando in camouflage trunks who spent the fight infringing on a Ric Flair gimmick and falling flat on his ass after a fake glove touch.

Tom_Cody

ibmVZG43lR2Mow.gif

Boom! It's kind of amazing that this shot didn't result in a knockdown.
https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/401923508738867200

Ward is so frustrating to watch. Tons of skill. Could be landing 4 and 5 punch combos if he wasn't looking to hold after one shot.
I somewhat agree. I see a lot of Hopkins in Ward. He puts so much effort into constantly changing up his gameplan to throw off his opponents that he often fails at constructing a coherent offense. Just look at the shot above. His opponent was clearly hurt and he was not able to follow up in the time left in the round.

That said, I still love watching him fight. A master in his prime.

His chin isn't that great, he's been hurt and dropped before.
This is completely true and I think this factor is frequently ignored when fighters are criticized for being "boring". Fights are often more precarious than many realize. Even one mistake can be deadly in certain fights.

Top Bottom