• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Tom_Cody

Haye has had a shoulder surgery and has called off his fight with Fury. Apparently the doctors have told him to retire. Welp.
I don't know how to respond to this emotionally. I just have no investment in the heavyweight division.

I just checked out the top fighters on boxrec and none of them have fights scheduled. Only one fighter in the top 15 (Dereck Chisora vs. the dreaded TBA) has anything on the books.

The division is just so dead.

jimbor

Banned
I don't know how to respond to this emotionally. I just have no investment in the heavyweight division.

I just checked out the top fighters on boxrec and none of them have fights scheduled. Only one fighter in the top 15 (Dereck Chisora vs. the dreaded TBA) has anything on the books.

The division is just so dead.

Chisora is allegedly fighting Price next. Last chance saloon for both really, even in such a shitty heavyweight scene.

As for Haye, I was looking forward to seeing him smash Fury but that's about it. He's been a real waste of talent since the move to heavy.

Tom_Cody

The problem with the division is that at this point the talents avoid each other. Then they're brought before Wladimir when they would've needed some real experience and lose. From what I've heard Boytsov and Pulev are next, both which are talented but haven't really faced tough opposition (except for maybe Pulev beating Thompson).

The influx of talent is limited, but the division would already be much better if the good ones fought each other instead of waiting for a title shot or the Klitschkos to retire. At this point the latter would probably be best for the division. There's also the issue of wasted talent, see e.g. Solis. You really need the American market, else there's not enough money in it (for most boxers).
The more I think about it the stranger it seems that Wladimir never stepped away from the game to allow his competition to establish themselves. There is a clear precedent for this. Mayweather and SR Leonard both "retired" after clearing out their divisions and then came back after a few years to greatly increased purse sizes. Both Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali effectively did the same (though these situations were out of their control).

I would love to see the-best-of-the-rest in the heavyweight division fight each other and then let Wladimir come back and have his hand at them. In my opinion this would be his best option even today.

It may be rose colored glasses but it seemed like guys used to fight each other. There was a clear line to a title shot. Dudes fought a couple gatekeepers on Tuesday Night Fights then against another up and comer then on HBO a few times then on PPV against the champ.

No one fights each other now. When is Wilder going to fight Jennings or even Arreola? Why is Bermen Striverne fine with waiting 45 years for Vitali to decide if he wants to fight again? Tyson Fury blows but at lead he appears to want to face everybody. I didn't see anyone else trying to fight Haye.

Heel

"Freddie Roach is KICKED by Alex Riza when Freddie Roach confronted Robert Garcia about taking over gym time for Manny Pacquiao."

Video
Video

What a classy bunch.

Alex Ariza...wow! Speechless right now.

Freddie was wrong but Ariza showed his face right there. God, human slime is the worst given the fact he worked with him and Pac which made him more famous among boxing.

JLG-

iRSjvGN3xZ.gif

abuC

Alex Ariza is no fighter, and while Freddie may have parkinsons, he used to be a boxer and he could still beat the shit out of Ariza so I can understand why he kicked.

With that in mind, Ariza better not ever take a trip to the Philippines.

Heel

Dana White returns to boxing with 'The Fighters'

The UFC president, a former amateur boxer, trainer and manager, has teamed up with Craig Piligian, executive producer of "The Ultimate Fighter," to produce "The Fighters," a new show about the Boston boxing scene.

White told MMAFighting.com on Thursday that the show will premiere on Discovery Channel in 2014 "for sure," however, no specific date has been finalized.

Hopefully it's more of a 24/7 style documentary than reality television. That's what it seems to be.

jchap

To post some (small) good news regarding Abdusalamov: He has been brought out of coma and can breath on his own. Unfortunately he's still in a vegetative state and while his right eye is open and he can move his right foot, it's unclear if he's able to feel or move his left side at all, but at least it's a huge improvement.

This is really sad. Heavyweight punches are so dangerous especially to guys with really good chins like Abdusalamov.

sunnz

I feel Froch may have got the last 2 rounds ( maybe even KO) but the stoppage was just pure ridiculous, way too quick to call it.

Groves deserves a lot of respect either way.
Froch showing just how much he can take too!

What a joke. How many punches did Froch take, but the ref doesn't stop it (and rightly so) because he comes back swinging widely. But Groves takes a few shots, protects himself and the ref stops it because he's not throwing? And how's he not have another point deducted for the punches to the back of the head over and over?

Jordan

I am actually fuming abut that decision. Groves was still standing, still throwing punches. Ridiculous.

Edit: That fucking interview? The amount of free shots Groves had on him? When he could barely stand.

Froch going major heel in his post fight interview
Could have been a lot more smug but he knows he escaped.

Have to say though, no doubt the ref stopped it too soon but I think Froch would have finished that off and to come back from the beating he was taking there...that's impressive.

Jordan

That's true, but it should not of ended that way.

Froch deserved to win by continuing through it, but Groves deserved the chance...

That's true, but it should not of ended that way.

Froch deserved to win by continuing through it, but Groves deserved the chance...
Agree completely.

Groves deserves all the sympathy but seriously Froch most likely would have claimed an amazing win there with the backing of everyone if the ref didn't step in.

Anyhow - Groves really impressed me. Didn't think he was capable of that. Froch isn't amongst the best or anything but Groves was great out there.

Jordan

Agree completely.

Groves deserves all the sympathy but seriously Froch most likely would have claimed an amazing win there with the backing of everyone if the ref didn't step in.

Anyhow - Groves really impressed me. Didn't think he was capable of that. Froch isn't amongst the best or anything but Groves was great out there.

The punches in rounds 4 and 6 were fucking incredible from Groves, it was amazing that Froch was even still standing. I was saying during round 2 that the ref should stop it, because Froch was getting fucking destroyed.

Leg-End

That early stoppage ruined a potential classic, that was turning into a brilliant ending. Froch might have stopped him legit but Groves really should have been allowed a few more seconds, give him a standing eight count!

Real shame.

jimbor

Banned
Agree completely.

Froch is the clear number two in the division, I think that counts as amongst the best. If there's a rematch and Booth is back in Groves corner, I expect him to win handily. Booth will make him stick to the boxing and not get involved in the macho bullshit. Froch should've had points docked and how 2 judges only had Froch one point behind I'll never know. Corrupt as fuck.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Who is the commentator who sounds like a 70 years old crackhead? I always hear him, he can barely finish his sentences. Probably a former boxer.

edit; Hey it's Drake VS Tarantino.

Tekniqs

Who is the commentator who sounds like a 70 years old crackhead? I always hear him, he can barely finish his sentences. Probably a former boxer.

edit; Hey it's Drake VS Tarantino.

you watch your tongue! Roy Jones is an awesome commentator IMO. His insight of what's going on in the ring is so good. He often calls shots a round or two ahead of the fighters. Like I remember Trinidad vs Mayorga. In between rounds, he said something about if Tito would only go after the body, this fight would be over. Sure enough, Tito went to the body and got Mayorga out of there.

Shearie

you watch your tongue! Roy Jones is an awesome commentator IMO. His insight of what's going on in the ring is so good. He often calls shots a round or two ahead of the fighters. Like I remember Trinidad vs Mayorga. In between rounds, he said something about if Tito would only go after the body, this fight would be over. Sure enough, Tito went to the body and got Mayorga out of there.

Yeah, I like Roy a lot too. Probably my favorite boxing commentator since George Foreman.

Top Bottom