• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Broner has adjusted a bit, but win or lose it's clear that he's not a star in the welterweight division. This is a good wake up call for his silly ass.

jchap

Great card! What a way to end the year!

I'm glad Broner was humbled and I hope now he comes back with a new attitude

He showed heart though. Most guys would've folded after that first onslaught.

A rematch would be interesting.

Heart until the headbutt that almost killed him, way to push for a dq. His disrespectful act cost him in the early rounds and exposed him in the end. Other boxers may now take advantage of this. He should have stayed for an interview at least.

BadAss2961

This is what happens when you don't train hard and don't focus on your training.
Nah, just give Maidana credit. He hits fucking hard, hurt Broner early on, and was able to carry momentum throughout the fight.

Broner had to play catchup and it didn't work out.
Heart until the headbutt that almost killed him, way to push for a dq. His disrespectful act cost him in the early rounds and exposed him in the end. Other boxers may now take advantage of this. He should have stayed for an interview at least.

A lot of experienced fighters would've done that. I don't think he was looking for a way out, just rest and a possibly a point deducted from Maidana -- which he got.

Even when hurt, he kept trying to win all the way until the end. He's a clown, but he's got heart.

Heel

dHQvzlw.gif

2013, it's been real.

Nah, just give Maidana credit. He hits fucking hard, hurt Broner early on, and was able to carry momentum throughout the fight.

Broner had to play catchup and it didn't work out.

A lot of experienced fighters would've done that. I don't think he was looking for a way out, just rest and a possibly a point deducted from Maidana -- which he got.

Even when hurt, he kept trying to win all the way until the end. He's a clown, but he's got heart.

He has self belief even to the point where the trainer said "you need a knockout " and he disagreed in the beginning. I do like the fact that he can go forward and try to lead when wants to. Both fighters were not comfortable on the back foot due to the styles of both fighters. Maidana just used the tactic a bit more than broner and that cost broner in the end. It should have been much closer.

What surprised me was how punches affected broner so much, that he stops punching back. Imagine him against pacquiao who outputs more punches than maidana and with greater speed accuracy and power. he would just go into his shell.

I would like to see provodnokov against maidana, Maidana would get ripped by marquez , bradley, mayweather and pacquiao at this stage in his career so he needs more time to improve. Broner will need to fight canelo alvarez I think it will be a good fight for both of them. then after that they can rematch.

ZoddGutts

He needs to move down at least one weight class. He didn't look all that impressive against Malignaggi either. Looks like he jumped the gun in order to try get a fight with Mayweather next year.

Boogybro

He has self belief even to the point where the trainer said "you need a knockout " and he disagreed in the beginning. I do like the fact that he can go forward and try to lead when wants to. Both fighters were not comfortable on the back foot due to the styles of both fighters. Maidana just used the tactic a bit more than broner and that cost broner in the end. It should have been much closer.

What surprised me was how punches affected broner so much, that he stops punching back. Imagine him against pacquiao who outputs more punches than maidana and with greater speed accuracy and power. he would just go into his shell.

I would like to see provodnokov against maidana, Maidana would get ripped by marquez , bradley, mayweather and pacquiao at this stage in his career so he needs more time to improve. Broner will need to fight canelo alvarez I think it will be a good fight for both of them. then after that they can rematch.

It would be a good fight for Canelo, because he would destroy Broner.

Great to see Broner get properly exposed, Maidana is a handful for anyone, and I think Broner believed his own hype a bit too much and doesn't have the discipline of his hero Floyd. He certainly doesn't have the skills.

That said, Maybe this defeat will teach him a bit of humility and he will come back better for it, but I'm doubtful. I think we'll see Broner go back down to 135 - 147 was premature IMO, and 140 has Garcia and Matthysse, and Broner ain't going near those two any time soon!

Now does anyone here think that Floyd would have similar problems against Maidana? Nah, me either, it would be very similar to Floyd v Guerrero IMO.

I'd like to see Maidana vs Thurman next, that would be explosive!

Top Bottom