• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

jimbor

Banned
Great to see Broner get properly exposed, Maidana is a handful for anyone, and I think Broner believed his own hype a bit too much and doesn't have the discipline of his hero Floyd. He certainly doesn't have the skills.

That said, Maybe this defeat will teach him a bit of humility and he will come back better for it, but I'm doubtful. I think we'll see Broner go back down to 135 - 147 was premature IMO, and 140 has Garcia and Matthysse, and Broner ain't going near those two any time soon!

Now does anyone here think that Floyd would have similar problems against Maidana? Nah, me either, it would be very similar to Floyd v Guerrero IMO.

I'd like to see Maidana vs Thurman next, that would be explosive!

Floyd would handle Maidana but despite that I'd rather see Floyd fight him instead of Khan.

The Hermit

dHQvzlw.gif

2013, it's been real.

that was amazing... ironically it was the best round for Broner.

Popparoks

If Broner wasn't too busy trying to be a rapper, flushing money down the toilet, fucking nasty strippers with no condoms, and running his mouth he would still be undefeated.

Broner was looking like the life alert commercial last night.
When he calls Mayweather he's gonna be sent straight to voicemail.

jchap

He needs to move down at least one weight class. He didn't look all that impressive against Malignaggi either. Looks like he jumped the gun in order to try get a fight with Mayweather next year.

See, he skipped 140 on purpose, not because he was anxious to get at the WW money, but because Matthysse and Garcia are just better versions of Maidana and Paulie posed no real threat as a power puncher.

Adrien Broner ‏@AdrienBroner 8h
Don't trip y'all I'm fine lol that mf @ChinoMaidana fought a good fight can't wait for the #Rematch lol #TutnUP

lol still the same,i kind of like it though.

Floyd can make it work because he counter punches off rolling his shoulders. Broner doesn't so Maidana just unloaded from weird angles.

Broner either needs to learn to counter punch or do the next best thing, high output offense.

He needs to out work Maidana in the rematch so his hand speed is always an advantage.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
ok on Worldstar they got a video of one of maidana's trainers giving him some pills between rounds..... Is that normal.... cause I've never seen it. However, who really pays attention to the guy giving the fighter water? Maybe it was smelling salts, the video is shady....

Batman

Banned
Nah, just give Maidana credit. He hits fucking hard, hurt Broner early on, and was able to carry momentum throughout the fight.

Broner had to play catchup and it didn't work out.

A lot of experienced fighters would've done that. I don't think he was looking for a way out, just rest and a possibly a point deducted from Maidana -- which he got.

Even when hurt, he kept trying to win all the way until the end. He's a clown, but he's got heart.

Broner doesn't have the best stamina and he was walking at around 180 pounds a month before the fight. He doesn't care about boxing.

muddream

Banned
ok on Worldstar they got a video of one of maidana's trainers giving him some pills between rounds..... Is that normal.... cause I've never seen it. However, who really pays attention to the guy giving the fighter water? Maybe it was smelling salts, the video is shady....

a-side meth

Tom_Cody

I was so very wrong about how I saw the Broner-Maidana fight playing out. Props to Maida for relentlessly hunting Broner down.

I give Broner a certain amount of credit for fighting through to the end and continually trying something he could use to win but I agree with those who say that this fight shows that he shouldn't be at 147. He landed tons of flush shots on Maidana and Maida only seemed to have been bothered by a few punches in the entire fight. Also, Maidana hurt Broner continuously with the same punches, that awkward chopping right hand and that sneaky left hook. What an awful performance from Broner all around.

The reaction of the crowd from was unbelievable, lol. It felt more like pro-wrestling crowd. The total ecstasy at seeing Maidana beat up Broner was hilarious.

Broner has a lot of soul searching to do. Some fighters never come back from stuff like this (read: Naseem Hamed). I think I will need to see some re-building fights from him before I will be able to get excited again.

As for Maidana, the sky is the limit. What an amazing win. They are discussing a fight with Thurman and I would love to see that.

Tom_Cody

Regarding the undercard:

The Santa Cruz fight was fun as expected. It also proved definitively that they won't put him anywhere near Rigondeaux. Santa Cruz was fighting a blown-up 115 pound boxing southpaw. If Cesar Seda could give him that much trouble then Rigondeaux would murder him.

The Thurman vs. Soto Karass fight was outstanding. Soto Karass put heavy pressure on Thurman all the way up to the stoppage and you could see that Thurman was forced to deal with that mental adversity. That said, Soto Karass looked bothered by everything Thurman landed and generally he looked shop-worn as hell. He shouldn't be fighting these top punchers anymore.

I would love to see Thurman in with any of the top welters at this point.

SUPREME1

Banned
Not worried about Maidana. If he took something it'll show up in the follow up drug testing.

Also, they wouldn't openly handle a shady substance. It'd be all covert and shit.

Whatevs.

jimbor

Banned
http://instagram.com/p/h7hoPEBaVQ/

Looks like someone in Maidana's camp is going to get in trouble. It's a shame that his win will now be tainted to some degree.
There's a lot of people wanting to see something in that. On the one hand it could be him trying to separate a couple of pieces of gauze and then thinking fuck it, on the other... I don't know, need more evidence.

I fucking hate Ariza though, a worthless piece of shit.

Tom_Cody

That shit could be anything. Unless it turns out he was doped the win is crystal clear.

Not worried about Maidana. If he took something it'll show up in the follow up drug testing.

Also, they wouldn't openly handle a shady substance. It'd be all covert and shit.

Whatevs.

There's a lot of people wanting to see something in that. On the one hand it could be him trying to separate a couple of pieces of gauze and then thinking fuck it, on the other... I don't know, need more evidence.

I fucking hate Ariza though, a worthless piece of shit.
I still think that Maidana should get all the credit in the world for his win. This was a massive win that fans will remember for years to come. Even if his corner did give him some sort of stimulant, I seriously doubt that it had any impact on the fight.

Still, the commission should look into this. Steve Kim of Maxboxing has been commenting about this on his twitter feed and he wrote more about it on his site this morning:

Steve Kim said:
CORNER WORK

Much was made about the goings-on in Maidana’s corner after the 11th round after Broner hit him with a hard left hook after the bell. Judging by this video, which is among many things posted on social media platforms detailing what took place (http://instagram.com/p/h7hoPEBaVQ/#), it is certainly something the commission in Texas should examine.

What exactly was in that piece of gauze put over the nose of Maidana, who was certainly buzzed by that tardy punch from Broner?

Some will immediately cast stones at Alex Ariza given his reputation and recent news surrounding the positive drug test of Brandon Rios (http://www.maxboxing.com/news/sub-lead/rios-tests-positive-for-dmaa-suspended-five-months-by-cpbo) but that’s a job for the authorities to decide. But here are the facts courtesy of the commission of the “Lone Star State” (http://www.license.state.tx.us/sports/sportsrules.htm#6143) under section 61.43, “Responsibilities of Seconds,” stating:

(3) The use of an unapproved substance may result in disciplinary action.

(4) Only water and electrolytes shall be permitted for hydration of a contestant between rounds. Honey, glucose, or sugar, or any other substance may not be mixed with the water.

Now, looking at the footage, nothing was consumed orally but instead inhaled by Maidana. But it has to be stated; the use of smelling salts or ammonia caps in the corner has been banned for years in boxing. Back in 2004, trainer Stacy McKinley was disciplined by the state of California for utilizing them during the fight between Tito Mendoza and Librado Andrade (http://www.thesweetscience.com/article-archives/640-the-half-year-awards-in-boxing).

And in response to these allegations, Ariza spoke to Michael Woods of The SweetScience.com:

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news...at-he-slipped-energizer-into-mouth-of-maidana

Don’t be naïve; this stuff goes on. I’ve talked to more than one boxing veteran who tells me the use of smelling salts or other stimulants has gone on for years in the corner. They will sometimes put the substance onto the towels they will use before the fights and when needed, break them out and wipe them over the fighters’ faces. One even told me they had certain signals in the corner for when they were to be utilized. Others have told me they will put the capsules in the towel they use between rounds and do some hocus-pocus with their hands to make sure they’re hidden from the ringside inspectors as they use them to re-energize their boxers.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

It will be interesting to see how Texas deals with this - if at all.
TLDR: Smelling salts and stimulants are not uncommonly administered during fights in towels. This is technically illegal but it is almost never enforced.

pulsemyne

Also Floyd is prepared to drop titles rather than face Manny. So...yeah that fight is never going to happen is it.
Oh and the video from Maidanas corner clearly shows it was a load of swabs in the cloth. Swaps have adrenaline in them so there was nothing wrong with what was happening. It's just Broner fanboys trying to taint the result.

Leunam

Just had my first session at a boxing gym and my ass is kicked. Before I take a shower and knock out for the night I thought I'd ask about my hand wraps. I don't want to buy one of those mesh bags that I can throw into the laundry with the rest of my clothes, there should be not problem washing these in a sink and then letting them air-dry right?

Also Floyd is prepared to drop titles rather than face Manny. So...yeah that fight is never going to happen is it.
Oh and the video from Maidanas corner clearly shows it was a load of swabs in the cloth. Swaps have adrenaline in them so there was nothing wrong with what was happening. It's just Broner fanboys trying to taint the result.

manny is afraid of floyd.

muddream

Banned
Just had my first session at a boxing gym and my ass is kicked. Before I take a shower and knock out for the night I thought I'd ask about my hand wraps. I don't want to buy one of those mesh bags that I can throw into the laundry with the rest of my clothes, there should be not problem washing these in a sink and then letting them air-dry right?

those mesh bags cost a fortune

abuC

RJJ fighting in Russia this weekend in a "winner takes all" match.

ibgcoRuqxvWMW7.gif

Is Roy broke? He made such a big deal back in the day about not wanting to end up like Gerald Mcclellan yet here he is at 44 and still going despite having suffered some brutal KOs a few years ago.

Tom_Cody

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Is that only in Texas?
I'm only repeating what I've read. It is at least in effect in California as well.

Is Roy broke? He made such a big deal back in the day about not wanting to end up like Gerald Mcclellan yet here he is at 44 and still going despite having suffered some brutal KOs a few years ago.
Apparently he is. A boxing writer recently dropped his name (along with Holyfield) under the topic of fighters who have squandered their earnings on bad investments. I know he had a record label at one point.

Tom_Cody

I would always just wash them with the rest of my clothes. Just make sure to roll them up properly when you take them out of the dryer.

Tom_Cody

Who do you think floyd should fight in May? Also it's only 3 fights left for him right?
The Khan fight has been discussed to death already. I think they were just waiting for all of the major fights of 2013 to play themselves out before announcing it. The only other name that boxing writers seem to be discussing seriously is Malignaggi.

Maidana. It's the only fight that makes the most sense right now
I agree that this fight is PPV ready and this is the one I want the most. I unfortunately believe the rumors and my guess it that Floyd will fight Khan in May.

If Khan fights in May, I see one of two things happening: 1) They'll have Maidana fight another top 20 welterweight in hopes that he gets another KO to make the fight between he and Floyd even bigger in the fall or 2) they will have Maidana fight Malignaggi on Floyd's May undercard and let him fight the winner in the fall.
Danny Garcia.
This is the major X factor. Danny Garcia is now the undisputed number 1 at 140 and yet his name seems to have dropped off the map completely. Apparently Golden Boy heavily favored him to lose to Matthysse and now they don't know exactly what to do with him.

He might want to stay at 140 for another year just to cement his status in the sport. It's not as clear where he will rank if he moves up to 147; he'll have to reestablish himself to some extent.

My question is, where could Mathysse fit? And by that I mean, he's obviously coming off a loss to Garcia but he still seems like a viable opponent at 147. Is it absolutely insane of me to want to see him face Khan at Welter on the undercard of a Maidana v Mayweather?

Danny should be a hotter ticket than Maidana (I'd think anyways) but should he have at least a "tune up" fight at 147 first before taking a Mayweather fight?

Keep in mind I'm pretty clueless with regards to who is with who in terms of Promoters and the politics behind all that.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I rather see Garcia fight maidana..... But if it had to be Maidana just because he deserves to get the big money. Dude has been grinding it out for a long ass time and deserves a large as fuck payday that a floyd fight guarantees.

TuXx

Not making the Maidana fight right now would be a mistake. I don't think you can get more buzz off Maidana than you can right now and putting him at risk to lose to another fighter just seems dumb. A Khan fight wouldn't even be worth enough to risk all that.

Unless the fight with Khan is at Wembley, I don't see how an Amir Khan fight makes sense. With Maidana you have someone coming off a huge win, perfect back story of Floyd avenging Broner and you can sell it as a more competitive fight since Maidana was able to beat someone who fights like Floyd.

Tom_Cody

Not making the Maidana fight right now would be a mistake. I don't think you can get more buzz off Maidana than you can right now and putting him at risk to lose to another fighter just seems dumb. A Khan fight wouldn't even be worth enough to risk all that.

Unless the fight with Khan is at Wembley, I don't see how an Amir Khan fight makes sense. With Maidana you have someone coming off a huge win, perfect back story of Floyd avenging Broner and you can sell it as a more competitive fight since Maidana was able to beat someone who fights like Floyd.
I have no idea why the Khan fight is being pushed. Maybe Floyd just wants an easy fight while things at 140 better materialize at 147?

I do disagree with you about Maidana though. I think the fight would definitely be bigger if he scores another meaningful win. He has losses to three notable fighters on his record and he only managed a MD over half-dead Eric Morales. The story on him right now is that he's a brutal power puncher who can be out-boxed. Give him another win or two and he starts to look more invincible.

TuXx

I have no idea why the Khan fight is being pushed. Maybe Floyd just wants an easy fight while things at 140 better materialize at 147?

I do disagree with you about Maidana though. I think the fight would definitely be bigger if he scores another meaningful win. He has losses to three notable fighters on his record and he only managed a MD over half-dead Eric Morales. The story on him right now is that he's a brutal power puncher who can be out-boxed. Give him another win or two and he starts to look more invincible.

Well, you gotta give credit to Robert Garcia. He's made him into a better fighter since then, but I still think it's dumb to have Maidana figth other fighters. There's always the possibility of him losing his next fight. Maidana can easily find himself in a Victor Ortiz type situation where he loses a fight he's suppose to win and ends up missing his chance for a big fight.

My question is, where could Mathysse fit? And by that I mean, he's obviously coming off a loss to Garcia but he still seems like a viable opponent at 147. Is it absolutely insane of me to want to see him face Khan at Welter on the undercard of a Maidana v Mayweather?

Matthysse seems intent on staying at 140. He can easily be the top dog at 140 with Danny Garcia moving up.

Heel

There's some rumblings that Floyd is going to invest in GLORY kickboxing. Seen ringside at the last two events on Spike, one all the way in Japan.

Things about to get really interesting in the combat sports world.

Top Bottom