• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Tom_Cody

Looks like the Maidana Vs Broner rematch is happening:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/1/1...ks-option-rematch-showtime-golden-boxing-news

It's going to be a great fight.
Awesome news!

I don't see why a rematch is needed when it was a one sided match. I preferred if both fighters fought others. We will see i guess.
Really? I think it will be one of the most compelling narratives in the sport. Browner was soundly humiliated and now he's coming back for more. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Awesome news!

Really? I think it will be one of the most compelling narratives in the sport. Browner was soundly humiliated and now he's coming back for more. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I am still looking forward to it though. Who do you think Lara should fight next?

While I agree that Lara is the much better fighter, wouldn't both of you prefer to actually watch the fight vs. Angulo?

I just hope that Lara makes the cut for one of Alvarez's three PPVs this year.
Oh yes, by far Angulo brings a more exciting matchup. Lara might be more deserving, but I think that fight resembles the Floyd fight; low on drama and fireworks and high on technical mastery. I wanna see Canelo in a dogfight against either Angulo or Kirkland; that's something to invite the guys over for!

Tom_Cody

Oh yes, by far Angulo brings a more exciting matchup. Lara might be more deserving, but I think that fight resembles the Floyd fight; low on drama and fireworks and high on technical mastery. I wanna see Canelo in a dogfight against either Angulo or Kirkland; that's something to invite the guys over for!
Agreed.

I am still looking forward to it though. Who do you think Lara should fight next?
I have no idea. I don't think anyone will get in the ring with him. IMO the ball is in Showtime's court to make something happen.

It will be interesting in general to see how 154 shakes out over the next 12 months. In addition to Floyd, Canelo, and Angulo you've got Andrade, Kirkland and the Charlo brothers are on the rise.

Tom_Cody

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...ez-jr-vs-bryan-vera-rematch-set-says-bob-arum

Top Rank announces a March 1st card with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Bryan Vera II and Orlando Salido vs. Vasyl Lomachenko. Great fight card in my opinion.

Two good and important match-ups with great narratives and tremendous significance in the sport.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Bryan Vera II: If Chavez wins and looks impressive he will set up a PPV match-up with Ward. If Vera wins it will be a great underdog story and HBO will likely match him with Golovkin at 160 or 168.

Orlando Salido vs. Vasyl Lomachenko: Another interesting narrative. Salido is being brought in to showcase Lomachenko but I'm quite interested to see what Salido has to say about that. And Lomachenko is only 1-0 (or 7-0). Who's the underdog? If Lomachenko wins this sets in motion a fight with Guillermo Rigondeaux, a clash of superstars from their amateur days.

Tom_Cody

Maidana vs Bronder 2 pushed back.

http://www.boxingscene.com/maidana-ready-broner-ii-get-pushed-back--73710

Hopefully broner still fights in april vs keith thurman or someone else.
This is the best thing that could have possibly have happened to Broner. Goldboy has no shortage of fighters to throw his way. He wanted the Maidana rematch in order to restore his image and now he has a way out in that Maidana chose not to face him. He will probably start saying the Maidana is afraid of him (lol, Broner).
If Broner fights Thurman he will go to sleep. Guaranteed.
I agree. I doubt anyone wants that fight to happen in April though. Why cash in a future PPV now? That is a massive money fight 12-24 months from now.

Tom_Cody

So who should he fight? Devon Alexander?
Alexander is actually a realistic option.

If I were his manager I would move him back down to 135 or 140. As far as who he will more realistically fight in the spring, he could go for one of the second tier guys at 147. Two suggestions:

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=170917&cat=boxer
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=352193&cat=boxer

I don't think any of the top tier guys, like Therman, will fight him on such short notice. In the absence of Maidana, Robert Guerrero is another option now that Golden Boy has reasserted their control over his contract.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone watch the JP LB fight? The other match before, Mike Perez has a cut big enough to put your pinky in.

Leunam

One of the guys at the gym asked if I wanted to spar last night. I told him I'd be ready this coming week since I didn't even have a mouthguard. Picked up a boil-and-bite mouthpiece from Venom and I'm going to grab some headgear from the gym when I go on Monday. Been training since mid-December and even though it may be too soon, I feel confident in my movement and technique up until now. I don't expect to be beautiful in the ring but I see this as and important step if I want to improve. I'll share the results if and when it happens.

Perez looked like a different fighter. The tragedy of his last fight had to have affected him. Wonder if he'll ever be able to put it past him; some fighters get gun shy after seriously hurting an opponent. Except for Kovalev of course; he killed a guy, and actually looks even more aggressive nowadays lol.

Bute looks like he's just waiting for the ceiling to fall in. When he gets rattled he just drops his hands at his sides, and doesn't really try to counter. Froch took his heart.

Froch stole his soul, he is just tentative at the worst times. If he loses this fight with this effort, he really shouldn't be fighting anymore

The sad part is Pascal is wide open for Bute's best punch; he just doesn't have the confidence to commit to his punches. Can you imagine either of these two up against Adonis or Kovalev? That'd be licensed murder.

The sad part is Pascal is wide open for Bute's best punch; he just doesn't have the confidence to commit to his punches. Can you imagine either of these two up against Adonis or Kovalev? That's be licensed murder.
Pascal is so into himself because of this, I'd like to see him get into it with Stevenson and try this crap

That said, credit to Pascal, he executed his plan well, until he decided to show off.

Glad for Bute to get in some punches these last two rounds

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I hope Stevenson-Pascal happens, but you know Stevenson will win.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think we saw that Pascal was holding back to open the door for a rematch. He responded whenever Bute really took over, like it was easy to reply to. He said it himself that he let Bute hit him to make room for a rematch, and I think it's the truth.

Tom_Cody

Anybody catch Shobox last night? First KO I've seen in the new year and it was devastating.

That was awesome. Shobox has had a run of entertaining cards lately
I'm glad I'm not the only one who watched the Shobox card as it was fantastic.

Two great fights (the first and fourth) and a spectacular upset KO. Shobox always has aggressive matchmaking and this card did not disappoint.

Tom_Cody

One of the guys at the gym asked if I wanted to spar last night. I told him I'd be ready this coming week since I didn't even have a mouthguard. Picked up a boil-and-bite mouthpiece from Venom and I'm going to grab some headgear from the gym when I go on Monday. Been training since mid-December and even though it may be too soon, I feel confident in my movement and technique up until now. I don't expect to be beautiful in the ring but I see this as and important step if I want to improve. I'll share the results if and when it happens.
Good luck!

I had been boxing off and on for a few years before I sparred for the first time. I think you're definitely better off doing it sooner than later as it will completely alter your perspective on your training.

Just make sure he is someone that you trust. For your first time it should be more of a lesson than anything resembling a fight. I would try to simply focus on movement and range.

I was thrown in with one specific asshole early on who didn't care that I was brand new to sparring. People can react in strange ways when they are in a boxing ring.

Tom_Cody

The Perez hypetrain is already derailed? Ha! Oh well, Jennings-Szpilka is up next week. Should be interesting, although Jennings hasn't been in the ring for half a year.
Perez looked like a different fighter. The tragedy of his last fight had to have affected him. Wonder if he'll ever be able to put it past him; some fighters get gun shy after seriously hurting an opponent. Except for Kovalev of course; he killed a guy, and actually looks even more aggressive nowadays lol.
I agree to some extent that he was effected by Abdusalamov's health, but I think it's also that in boxing some fighters just need to be paired with the right dance partner. Abdusalamov set the pace in their fight and I've heard from other people who have seen more of Perez's fights that his performance with Takam was more of the 'real' Mike Perez.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens. His name still means something but that will evaporate quickly if he continues to look like he did on Saturday night.

Tom_Cody

Bute looks like he's just waiting for the ceiling to fall in. When he gets rattled he just drops his hands at his sides, and doesn't really try to counter. Froch took his heart.
Froch stole his soul, he is just tentative at the worst times. If he loses this fight with this effort, he really shouldn't be fighting anymore
Bute should retire after this, he looks done.
I agree. That, or he needs a few fights to rebuild himself, which seems unlikely as he is 33 and he looks like an old 33.

It will be interesting to see what happens. It's early in the year. If he can get two wins under his belt than he could build a more viable case for a fight with one of the top guys at 175. Or Chavez. Or Ward. That last one in a major money fight that probably still would have happened if the loss to Froch hadn't been so devastating.
If only Bute fought every round like he did that last one, we probably wouldn't have seen a decision in the first place.
Eh, I disagree.
That was some serious playing possum there.
Stevenson-Pascal is probably going to happen next
I think we saw that Pascal was holding back to open the door for a rematch. He responded whenever Bute really took over, like it was easy to reply to. He said it himself that he let Bute hit him to make room for a rematch, and I think it's the truth.
I more think this.

Tom_Cody

Regarding Pascal, IMO he has really rejuvenated his career with this fight. He managed to make the fight fun even though Bute simply didn't show up. I also enjoyed the narrative of having Jones in his corner.

Based on his past opposition, we have a pretty clear picture of the ceiling of Pascal's ability. Still, I would enjoy seeing him in with Stevenson or Kovalev. Those guys are starved for opponents and I still think that their boxing ability has not been fully vetted.

3Sixty

Was going to go to the event at The Copper Box on Feb 15th, but since Rudenko pulled out of the Chisora fight and Fury still hasn't announced an opponent i doubt i'll bother.

Top Bottom