• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Who should Danny Garcia fight next?

In theory, he should be fighting Mayweather. He has had a really good run of fights, and certainly "deserves" it. He handily beat Kahn, who is a rumored Floyd opponent.

In reality I don't think he brings enough $$$ to the table for it so I'd like to see him vs Provodnikov or Bradley. I bet his next fight will be a manditory or voluntary defense against someone who blows.

Boogybro

In theory, he should be fighting Mayweather. He has had a really good run of fights, and certainly "deserves" it. He handily beat Kahn, who is a rumored Floyd opponent.

In reality I don't think he brings enough $$$ to the table for it so I'd like to see him vs Provodnikov or Bradley. I bet his next fight will be a manditory or voluntary defense against someone who blows.

I think he fights Lamont Peterson somewhere down the line.

Tom_Cody

Who should Danny Garcia fight next?
Well, whoever it is, his next fight has been announced for March 15th:
http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/313533-lems-latest-danny-garcia-returns-on-march-15-on-showtime

Unfortunately the 140 pound division is pretty well cleaned out. It looks like this will either be a showcase fight against someone in the bottom half of the top ten at 140 or an acclimatization fight at 147 against someone ranked 10-20 in that division.

March 15 is less than two months away which means it definitely isn't going to be a top guy in either division. This mystery opponent is barely going to have enough time to train properly and GBP is not going to have much time for promotion.

I have mixed feelings about the Mayweather topic. While I agree that he is probably the most "deserving", I personally don't want that fight right now. What's the rush. Garcia is 25 and he's never fought above junior welterweight, whereas Mayweather fought his last fight at 154. Garcia needs to grow a bit physically and do some work at 147 before that fight can reach its full potential.

Regarding Provodnikov and Bradley, I assume from your allusion to money that you understand the promotional problems standing in the way of either of those fights. Yup, those fights aren't happening.
I think he fights Lamont Peterson somewhere down the line.
Assuming he is staying at 140 for the time being, I think it is very likely that he will fight the winner of Lamont Peterson vs. Dierry Jean later in the year.

I think another possibility is that Broner will move down to 140. Maidana balked at rushing their rematch and Broner vs. Garcia would be a ripe PPV for this fall. I would be very very happy with that match-up.

Tom_Cody

This still isn't officially official yet (even a day later) but it's looking more and more like this is actually going to happen.

Bradley is the guy I want to see in with Pacquiao more than anyone else. I mean that partly in the sense of his realistic options within Top Rank but, more than that, this is just a fight that I really want to see. I am a monster Bradley fan but even I don't think he deserved the nod in their first fight. That said, a lot has happened since then and I fully favor Bradley to win the rematch.

If the rumor mill is to be believed, the primary reason behind Pac taking the Bradley fight is that he is the most lucrative option. It is never a good sign when match-making is being driven by the IRS. Still, I don't think Freddy Roach or Top Rank would have taken the fight if he weren't confident that Pac will win. In addition to it being a good match-up, I have the added excitment of getting to see if I know better than Freddy Roach and the match-makers at Top Rank.

I hope that made sense.

Leunam

Had my first sparring sessions tonight. Two minute round against two different people.

The first guy had some experience, was taller and probably thirty pounds lighter than me. For every one good jab I got in he got five or six on me. Problem was my hands were at my chin instead of the sides of my head. After one jab connected I was pretty good about backing away from any follow ups and I didn't have much of a problem blocking body shots because he didn't throw too many and the few he did I easily dropped my elbows to stop them. After getting my rhythm I did better about seeing the punches coming in and they started to glance me instead of connecting. My biggest worry, besides getting hit obviously, was maintaining balance. Even though my stance got a little wide here and there I never tripped and was never at risk of falling. The round clearly went to him but I'm glad I didn't give up and was able to get a few hits on the body and good jabs to the head.

The second guy was there just so I could practice on defense. He got me a few times as well, but at this point I was hyped up and had minimal issues getting into the body and a couple of jabs to the head. But that was probably because he said he would hold back so he could train me.

Had a really good time and looking forward to putting more work in.

Tom_Cody

The undercard for Alvarez-Angulo has been announced. It is deep and overall very good:
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...fights-added-saul-alvarez-alfredo-angulo-card

PPV undercard:
Leo Santa Cruz vs. Cristian Mijares (super bantamweight) - WBC Title
Omar Figueroa vs. Ricardo Alvarez (lightweight) - WBC Title
Carlos Molina vs. Jermall Charlo (light middleweight) - IBF Title

"Free" on Showtime prior to the start of the PPV broadcast:
Jorge Linares vs. Nihito Arakawa (lightweight)

Santa Cruz is one of the top action fighters in the sport and, while he is a bit old in tooth, Mijares always brings a fan friendly style.

Figueroa and Arakawa engaged in one of the very best fights of last year so I'm greatly pleased to see them both back and fighting on the same card. Ricardo Alvarez is a dead man walking but Linares vs. Arakawa is a great match-up. It wasn't too long ago that people were calling Linares the future of the sport and it is only his chin that prevents him
being a complete package. Arakawa for his part will not budge an inch. Great fight.

Molina vs. Charlo is really only interesting in that sets up the winner for a choice spot in the division. Molina has a belt but he has never really shown himself to be remarkable in any specific way. He was being discussed as a potential opponent for Alvarez for this PPV card so I'm glad he is going to get at least one title defense under his belt before he fights Alvarez. Charlo, like his brother, is a decent prospect but this fight is a huge step up for him. A win for Charlo will bring a lot more upside than a win for Molina.

Garcia by UD.

Edit:
If anyone of you is interested, Huck vs. Aslan (for WBC cruiserweight championship) is happening right now and pretty entertaining.

Edit 2:
Finally another good performance by Huck. Let's hope he doesn't move up to heavyweight (where he has no chance).
What channel was that on? I missed it; watching fights on SHO now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Was that a marijuana ad?

"Accept the most popular drug!" with a photo of marijuana, wat lol

Garcia got rocked in the 2nd, but he's bounced back well and seems in control right now. Not a particularly exciting fight; I've been watching the Peterson fight mostly.

Jean had a good showing; nothing to be ashamed of. He's a tough fight for anyone at 140.

Good bounce back win for Peterson, that was an entertaining fight.

I was happy to see Jennings win, I hope he stays on course of working his way up and doesn't let HBO rush him into something he's not ready for like Seth Mitchell.

This Garcia fight is kind of zzzzzzzz

TuXx

This still isn't officially official yet (even a day later) but it's looking more and more like this is actually going to happen.

Bradley is the guy I want to see in with Pacquiao more than anyone else. I mean that partly in the sense of his realistic options within Top Rank but, more than that, this is just a fight that I really want to see. I am a monster Bradley fan but even I don't think he deserved the nod in their first fight. That said, a lot has happened since then and I fully favor Bradley to win the rematch.

If the rumor mill is to be believed, the primary reason behind Pac taking the Bradley fight is that he is the most lucrative option. It is never a good sign when match-making is being driven by the IRS. Still, I don't think Freddy Roach or Top Rank would have taken the fight if he weren't confident that Pac will win. In addition to it being a good match-up, I have the added excitment of getting to see if I know better than Freddy Roach and the match-makers at Top Rank.

I hope that made sense.

Roach doesn't seem like he's comfortable fighting Bradley. Roach has been very vocal of him preferring Manny to fight Provodnikov over Bradley and Top Rank seems like they don't give a shit whether or not Manny wins or loses. They seem pretty intent on cashing in on Bradley.

In terms of the fight, it's really a 50/50 fight. Pac should of won the first fight by a landslide , but at the same time, Tim was fighting with two bad feet and was still doing a really good job avoiding Pac's punches, so imagine a Tim Bradley with two good feet.

If you're favoring Pac, you can take away from the fact that Pacuiao dominated the the first fight giving a half ass performance and taking rounds off, so you would have to wonder how the rematch will look like if Manny is more aggressive given the fact that more is on the line.

Tom_Cody

Roach doesn't seem like he's comfortable fighting Bradley. Roach has been very vocal of him preferring Manny to fight Provodnikov over Bradley and Top Rank seems like they don't give a shit whether or not Manny wins or loses. They seem pretty intent on cashing in on Bradley.

In terms of the fight, it's really a 50/50 fight. Pac should of won the first fight by a landslide , but at the same time, Tim was fighting with two bad feet and was still doing a really good job avoiding Pac's punches, so imagine a Tim Bradley with two good feet.

If you're favoring Pac, you can take away from the fact that Pacuiao dominated the the first fight giving a half ass performance and taking rounds off, so you would have to wonder how the rematch will look like if Manny is more aggressive given the fact that more is on the line.
I didn't know there was that much drama going on behind the scenes. I guess the fight will make for a good 24/7.

i think that fight was closer than most think.bradley was making manny miss tons of shots.
I agree. I don't remember my exact score but I think I had it something like 8-4 with Pac winning. Bradley clearly won some of the rounds and was competitive in others but, even giving Bradley every benefit of the doubt, I don't think you can watch the fight and say that he actually "won".

Boogybro

People like to say Pac took rounds off and was just going easy. He wasn't. He was gassed the entire second half of that fight, and everything he was attempting, Bradley had an answer for.

I think Brad outboxes Pac in the rematch handily in the rematch. He's more experienced at the level now and he knows how Pac fights. He's been in there with before. Unless he gets robbed to try and make things even, I think he wins by a clear margin.

Tom_Cody

Random thoughts on last weekend's boxing:

FNF:
Rico Ramos vs. Jonathan Arrellano: Ramos looked ok in this fight and showed decent power. I still think it's possible that he will get another belt before his career is done.

Thomas Williams Jr vs. Cornelius White: Exciting 1 round fight but I'm not sure what to take away regarding the winner. White has been KOed twice before and I think this indicates his lack of durability more than anything else. I will have to see more of Williams before I can make any sort of judgement.

HBO:
Bryant Jennings vs. Artur Szpilka: I don't really care about the HW division and this fight didn't change my mind on the subject. I don't think Jennings deserves that much credit for beating and ultimately KOing Szpilka. Szpilka had defensive liabilities on display all night. He is the sort of guy that Deontay Wilder has been blowing out.

Mikey Garcia vs. Juan Carlos Burgos: Burgos is solidly in the top ten at 130 and it speaks to Garcia's class that he shut him out, though I'm not sure what it says besides that. This was a boring fight and Garcia showed no creativity in pursuit of a KO. It looked to me like he had been expecting to catch Burgos with a right hand counter to one of Burgos' super wide left hooks but then two things happened: 1) his right hands got Burgos' attention but they didn't knock him down and 2) Burgos was smart enough to adjust and not blindly walk into a KO. I want to see Garcia fight Gamboa this year. Talk about Pacquiao serves no purpose.

Showtime:
Jermell Charlo vs. Gabriel Rosado: Great performance from Charlo and a bit of a disappointing showing from Rosado. Charlo showed a lot of confidence and technique in boxing off his backfoot all night. He threw every punch in the book from every angle at Rosado. I had previously, correctly or not, thought of Charlo as an outside boxer. This super diverse inside game really impressed me. Skilled infighters are my favorite type of fighters. If I had my way, I would next match Charlo with a less physically imposing fighter who he could potentially try to walk down. Rosado for his part disappointed me somewhat. He came forward all night but he lacked a bit of the fire that he showed in his last few fights. I guess we'll have to see where he goes from here. Is he merely a gatekeeper or will he rebound and score some impressive victories?

Lamont Peterson vs.Dierry Jean: Great fight and a fight fought at a very high level. Peterson showed that he has his confidence back in the aftermath of the Matthysse fight (I mean, compare this performance to Bute's comeback performance against Pascal...) He also showed great skill and experience in beating a very good fighter in Jean. I loved the way that Peterson was able to mount successful offence from a range of distances, speeds, and angles. Jean looked very good as well and he never gave up on trying to win. It looks like Peterson will fight Garcia this summer and it looks like Jean will be back on Showtime as well, maybe against Matthysse. Those would be two fantastic fights.

Tom_Cody

I agree with the sentiment. This fight only makes sense in the context of the cold war. Goldenboy wants to showcase Garcia in Puerto Rico (even though he doesn't speak Spanish) and Herrera has a win over Provodnikov.

Peterson is the next fight I care about for Garcia and luckily it looks like we will get that fight this summer. There are also a few good up and coming guys at 140 but they will need one or two more fights before it would make sense for them to go up against the champ.

Garcia-Herrera isn't the best match-up but I will still watch. The undercard for that night looks pretty good as well.

Zep

Banned
Damn, I was looking for the fight. What channel was it on?

n/m see it was fox sports 1...Keep forget about that channel.

Catch a replay, you can see the exact moment that Ortiz soul leaves his body
Lol.

His punch resistance is gone. He's been slumped by light hitters in Floyd and Collazo; jaw broken by Lopez. Collazo caught him with a good clean shot, but I would have thought he could recover. He didn't even try to get up; maybe mentally he just checks out when he gets hurt. Yeah, he's done. Maybe Stallone will call him for Expendables 4.

jchap

Ortiz didn't even try to get up. Maybe he was really that hurt from the punch but given his past losses its easy to think that he just gave up.

Tom_Cody

Yeah, I don't blame Barthelemy; he was in the moment throwing punches. The ref is supposed to be aware of the time left until the bell, and position himself accordingly, to bring a halt to the action. I agree with you about "protect yourself at all times", definitely, but that ref pretty much blew it on his end.

And yeah, Barthelemy looks to be the real deal! Very impressed with his power and technique. I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure.

So I'm just now watching that Friday Night Fights and I can't get behind the decision in the Barthelemy v. Mendes fight. Protect yourself at all times applied in Mayweather v. Ortiz but in this particular case there were 3 punches thrown after the bell before Mendes went down. 1 punch I can see.. 2 punches ok if it's a combo.. 3 punches is just too many. In no way do I buy that Barthelemy didn't hear the bell. He was willing risk the penalty in an attempt to finish the fight. It ended up working in his favor but I don't like it at all.
The commission ended up siding with you guys. The fight was rules a no contest. Mendez keeps his title and the IBF is set to order a rematch. Somehow I don't think Mendez will want to take that fight.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10377969/argenis-mendez-wins-appeal-gets-title-back

Top Bottom