• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Just saw the ortiz fight. Oritz should be embarrassed for losing to this guy,what a shame. He probably gave up again because of the way he had his legs there was no intention of getting up.

jchap

I find it strange that Ghana's national anthem sounds like a US Country Song

This ring looks small. Not much room to run from GGG.

And boom... Big knockdown and a battering in the first round

6 inch hook in round 6 KD, Jab KD in round 7, left hook wobbles Adama in round 7 and the Ref stops it.

Tom_Cody

GGG's next opponent will likely be Andy Lee in April on HBO.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/7388/ggg-likely-to-face-andy-lee
Yeah, it's looking like that.

The issue of Golovkin's quality of opposition is a difficult one. His resume is less about who he has fought and more about the results that he has gotten. Osumanu Adama (his last opponent) was barely at the level of a Friday Night Fights main even b-side. Any of the top guys at 160 would have been expected to knock him out. I mean, Golovkin repeatedly damaged him with his jab. Golovkin is good, but he isn't going to hurt people like Martinez with his jab...

Golovkin certainly isn't ducking anyone, but what can he really do? It seems that his only options are moving up to 168 (which probably won't help him get opponents anyway) or keep doing what he's doing and build up a fanbase to the point that it makes financial sense for the other top fighters to step into the ring with him.

On that note, I am going to go to the Golovkin-Lee fight live at MSG. I haven't been to a live fight in a few years but I know I will get action with Golovkin. It also doesn't hurt that James Kirkland is fighting on the undercard.

There's an official poll on whether Floyd should fight Khan or Maidana. Winner actually gets to fight Floyd in May. Did anyone vote yet?

http://lockerdome.com/6327756661203009/6327139997843736#/

I voted Kahn. I don't think Maidana brings anything to the table that can beat Floyd. At least Amir has reach and speed. If Floyd didn't have hands of glass he would beat Kahn by KO late, but it's UD12 for him, then hopefully a mega fight with Bradley in the fall. (I know cold war and stuff)

Tom_Cody

I voted Kahn. I don't think Maidana brings anything to the table that can beat Floyd. At least Amir has reach and speed. If Floyd didn't have hands of glass he would beat Kahn by KO late, but it's UD12 for him, then hopefully a mega fight with Bradley in the fall. (I know cold war and stuff)
Although I think that Maidana deserves to have a higher overall world ranking than Khan, I agree with your comments. I would also add that Khan has a win over Maidana and that Mayweather likely won't be able to exploit Khan's major weakness, his chin.

It's really just a shame that Khan didn't fight Alexander in the fall. If he had gotten a win over a top welterweight last fall this fight would be much more enticing.

I just hope Goldenboy keeps their momentum going and gives us a stacked undercard.

TuXx

I voted for Maidana. I know Khan makes for a better matchup, but I can't look pass the fact that he doesn't deserve the fight. He never fought at 147, he struggled against a blown up lightweight in his last fight and he never avenged or redeemed himself for getting thrown like a rag doll against Danny Garcia.

My vote doesn't really matter since it looks like Khan is getting the fight, but I'm starting to question just how legit this poll really is. It seems more like a publicity stunt to justify Khan getting picked since there's been so much negative feedback by the fans.

Tom_Cody

Lara calls out Golovkin.
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2014/erislandy-lara-challenges-gennady-golovkin/

I would definitely pay to see this fight. The best thing is that this fight might actually happen.

Lara is a Showtime/Goldenboy fighter and Golovkin is committed to HBO, but he isn't Top Rank affiliated.

Although Goldenboy and HBO are on the outs, I’m sure Goldenboy wouldn't mind putting Lara in this fight in order to keep him away from Floyd and Canelo. This would seem to be a winning move for all parties.

Leunam

Got these from Amazon today:

yPUQUhwl.jpg

16oz. trainers. They're already really without wraps on, so lots of breaking in ahead. They come down a little further on the wrist than my other gloves and definitely offer more support.

Got these from Amazon today:

yPUQUhwl.jpg

16oz. trainers. They're already really without wraps on, so lots of breaking in ahead. They come down a little further on the wrist than my other gloves and definitely offer more support.

I have the exact same gloves. Hoping to get in some smaller sized ones.

Tom_Cody

I will never understand why people irl pronounce his name that way.

Didn't think he would take this rematch so soon. I guess he was running out of options.
Sorry, that was purely a typo.

I don't know if we should be suprised that this is happening or not. It makes a lot of sense for it to happen and, after Froch initially postured that he didn't want/need the fight, it has only grown in value.

jimbor

Banned
Sorry, that was purely a typo.

I don't know if we should be suprised that this is happening or not. It makes a lot of sense for it to happen and, after Froch initially postured that he didn't want/need the fight, it has only grown in value.

Hearn and Sky wanted the fight to happen so it was always going to happen realistically. Was just building hype in the meantime. Hoping it's at the Emirates as will fork out for some tickets and take my dad along for his sixtieth, seeing as he got me into boxing as a kid.

Tom_Cody

People actually call him that. I've heard people call him that at work whenever a boxing discussion kicks off, plus a few fight night friends. I've just always found it... odd.
I've actually heard this too but I had always written this off as a 'British' thing. I have no idea why people do it. I didn't mean to leave your point hanging, I was just saying that my text was a typo.

Hearn and Sky wanted the fight to happen so it was always going to happen realistically. Was just building hype in the meantime. Hoping it's at the Emirates as will fork out for some tickets and take my dad along for his sixtieth, seeing as he got me into boxing as a kid.
This could be true. I don't know the British boxing scene well enough to know the details. Boxing writers in the US were saying that he wanted the Chavez jr. fight instead but that might have just been our take on things.

jimbor

Banned
I've actually heard this too but I had always written this off as a 'British' thing. I have no idea why people do it. I didn't mean to leave your point hanging, I was just saying that my text was a typo.

This could be true. I don't know the British boxing scene well enough to know the details. Boxing writers in the US were saying that he wanted the Chavez jr. fight instead but that might have just been our take on things.

He did keep mentioning it as Groves seems to have genuinely gotten under his skin. Unfortunately for Froch, no other fight was going to make as much money and he would've been cutting off his nose to spite his face, being the b-side to Chavez just to fight in Vegas and not fight Groves. No way Hearn (his promoter) was going to let this one slide as it actually had so many casuals talking about it, thanks to a good promotional job on the first fight and the dodgy stoppage. This is likely to be held in the Emirates stadium in London, sell out almost immediately and do gangbusters on PPV. Will be interesting to see if it approaches Hatton numbers. I doubt that very much but it's within the realms of possibility.

Tom_Cody

No major fights this weekend but some good fight cards.

Friday Night Fights has the start of their lightweight "Boxino" Tournament. 8 fighters in a single elimiation tournament.
http://espn.go.com/blog/Boxing/post/_/id/4268/fnf-kicks-off-boxcino-lightweight-tourney

ShoBox has a good, if not heavily consequential, main event.
http://theboxingblog.sho.com/2014/02/18/santana-career-suicide-lundy-shobox-imir-imam/

HBO has a card from Macao tomorrow featuring a lightweight title fight and another Zou Shiming fight.
http://www.hbo.com/#/boxing/fights/...afikov/article/vazquez-shafikov-overview.html

Tom_Cody

In spite of the lack of big fights this weekend there was still some entertaining action:

I really enjoyed the start of Friday Night Fights' "Boxcino" Tournament. The tournament format resulted in a few upsets. The six-round limit ensured that all of the fighters fought at a faster than normal pace and with a greater sense of urgency. Both undefeated fighters in the tournament lost and top performances of the night went to a 15-5 fighter (who happens to have a win over Vicente Escobedo) and a 32-4-2 fighter (who got KOed by Maidana). I don't know if the tournament will produce a star but it has been great fun thus far. I really hope ESPN can do more of these.
-

ShoBox was great (as always). I can never understand why ShoBox doesn't get more respect. Hank Lundy had a solid win in the main event. I don't know if he is good enough to beat any of the titlists at 135 but he is, as Teddy Atlas would say, 'a true pro'.

The ShoBox undercard featured one of the strangest things I've ever seen in a boxing match:

iFmkIGxWrwUQR.gif

1) Amir Imam knocked Jared Robinson out of the ring.
2) Robinson fell past Imam's cornermen and landed head-first on the ground.
3) Imam's cutman tried to help Robinson out but Imam's trainer pulled him away.
4) A dazed Robinson then stumbled over to the steps and climbed back in.
5) The ref had been counting and was at a count of 11 by the time Robinson made it back in. The ref then waved off the fight.

I had never known this, but apparently you technically have 30 seconds to climb back into the ring if you are knocked out of it. Every time I have seen a fighter get knocked out of the ring, the fight has been stopped immediately. The reason that Imam's trainer pulled the cutman away from Robinson is that, had it been determined that he had interfered with Robinson getting back in the ring, he could have gotten Imam disqualified. I am amazed that all of the parties involved had the clearness of mind to act the way that they did. I have been watching boxing for 10 years and I have never seen this happen, nor did I even know that these rules existed.
-

HBO's card from Macao was the only real stinker of the weekend.

Zou Shiming got his first KO against an embarrassingly over-matched opponent. While it is totally normal for prospects to face suspect opposition on their way up, there has to be a special prize for Yokthong Kokietgym. Going in to the fight, his official record was 15 wins and 3 losses, but that doesn't begin to tell the tale. 14 of his 18 opponents were fighting in their pro debuts. I didn't know that a built up record to that extent was even possible. I mean, where do they even dig up all those budding pros? Of those 14 making their pro debuts against him, he lost twice. Once by KO.
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=608148&cat=boxer

Overall I found the spectacle of the Shiming fight to be kind of gross, especially since he taunted his opponent after he had knocked him out in a type of display that I have never seen before. He literally stood above his over-matched foe and taunted him while he was on the mat. Gross.

The Miguel Vazquez fight was even worse. I guess I have to give him credit for beating a solid fighter in Denis Shafikov but the fight was as ugly as they come. I can see why he was exiled to Macao.

Nice on sergio vs cotto. i heard floyd/maidana is done?anyone know?
It's not final. I still want him to have Khan more (though neither is that compelling). Every day brings more drama but I won't believe anything until I see an official announcement.

Overall I found the spectacle of the Shiming fight to be kind of gross, especially since he taunted his opponent after he had knocked him out in a type of display that I have never seen before. He literally stood above his over-matched foe and taunted him while he was on the mat. Gross.

I need to see a video of this

jimbor

Banned
In spite of the lack of big fights this weekend there was still some entertaining action:

I really enjoyed the start of Friday Night Fights' "Boxcino" Tournament. The tournament format resulted in a few upsets. The six-round limit ensured that all of the fighters fought at a faster than normal pace and with a greater sense of urgency. Both undefeated fighters in the tournament lost and top performances of the night went to a 15-5 fighter (who happens to have a win over Vicente Escobedo) and a 32-4-2 fighter (who got KOed by Maidana). I don't know if the tournament will produce a star but it has been great fun thus far. I really hope ESPN can do more of these.
-

ShoBox was great (as always). I can never understand why ShoBox doesn't get more respect. Hank Lundy had a solid win in the main event. I don't know if he is good enough to beat any of the titlists at 135 but he is, as Teddy Atlas would say, 'a true pro'.

The ShoBox undercard featured one of the strangest things I've ever seen in a boxing match:

iFmkIGxWrwUQR.gif

1) Amir Imam knocked Jared Robinson out of the ring.
2) Robinson fell past Imam's cornermen and landed head-first on the ground.
3) Imam's cutman tried to help Robinson out but Imam's trainer pulled him away.
4) A dazed Robinson then stumbled over to the steps and climbed back in.
5) The ref had been counting and was at a count of 11 by the time Robinson made it back in. The ref then waved off the fight.

I had never known this, but apparently you technically have 30 seconds to climb back into the ring if you are knocked out of it. Every time I have seen a fighter get knocked out of the ring, the fight has been stopped immediately. The reason that Imam's trainer pulled the cutman away from Robinson is that, had it been determined that he had interfered with Robinson getting back in the ring, he could have gotten Imam disqualified. I am amazed that all of the parties involved had the clearness of mind to act the way that they did. I have been watching boxing for 10 years and I have never seen this happen, nor did I even know that these rules existed.
-

HBO's card from Macao was the only real stinker of the weekend.

Zou Shiming got his first KO against an embarrassingly over-matched opponent. While it is totally normal for prospects to face suspect opposition on their way up, there has to be a special prize for Yokthong Kokietgym. Going in to the fight, his official record was 15 wins and 3 losses, but that doesn't begin to tell the tale. 14 of his 18 opponents were fighting in their pro debuts. I didn't know that a built up record to that extent was even possible. I mean, where do they even dig up all those budding pros? Of those 14 making their pro debuts against him, he lost twice. Once by KO.
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=608148&cat=boxer

The Miguel Vazquez fight was even worse. I guess I have to give him credit for beating a solid fighter in Denis Shafikov but the fight was as ugly as they come. I can see why he was exiled to Macao.

It's not final. I still want him to have Khan more (though neither is that compelling). Every day brings more drama but I won't believe anything until I see an official announcement.

In Benn - McClellan, Benn got knocked out of the ring and got twenty seconds in total, iirc.

Tom_Cody

I need to see a video of this
I can't find a video. I will try to make a gif eventually if I can.

Maybe I'm being too dramatic. Basically he bent over his thai foe and yelled in his concused face until the ref pulled him away. The whole thing probably lasted two seconds. It's really more that the display happened in the context of him fighting an over-matched foe with a cartoonishly built-up record. He was supposed to do what two other minimal foes had already done: knock him out.

Here's the moment before it happened:

M0mOH0F.jpg

Basically he just bent down and taunted him until the ref pulled him away. So much for going back to your neutral corner.

Tom_Cody

In Benn - McClellan, Benn got knocked out of the ring and got twenty seconds in total, iirc.
Well, he was still on the ring apron though. Nothing as dramatic what happened with Jared Robinson (not that Benn - McClellan wasn't filled with drama).

jimbor

Banned
Well, he was still on the ring apron though. Nothing as dramatic what happened with Jared Robinson (not that Benn - McClellan wasn't filled with drama).

True but I think it was still considered out of the ring. He got ten to get in and ten to beat the count. This is all from memory, so I could be completely wrong.

jimbor

Banned
Khan fight is not happening from what i heard. So it has to be Maidana unless floyd surprises us.

I'd rather neither but if it has to be one of the two, Maidana deserves it more on recent showings. Khan would at least guarantee us a KO though so wouldn't be totally against it. I really don't think Khan would pose Mayweather any problems at all, unlike some posters on boxing forums I go on.

His best asset was his hand speed which helped him deliver his still extremely amateurish flurries. Since getting with Hunter, he seems to have stopped even that and looks even more vulnerable.

Tom_Cody

True but I think it was still considered out of the ring. He got ten to get in and ten to beat the count. This is all from memory, so I could be completely wrong.
Hmm, that might be right. He definitely got more that 10 seconds in total but I always blamed this on incompetence by the ref (he seemed visibly afraid in the fight, especially in the first round). I don't know the answer here.

Tom_Cody

Khan fight is not happening from what i heard. So it has to be Maidana unless floyd surprises us.
I won't believe anything until there is an official announcement. Until then I am going to believe that this could be narrative-building leading up to the fight. If the match-up itself isn't going to sell then they need to manufacture drama.

I'd rather neither but if it has to be one of the two, Maidana deserves it more on recent showings. Khan would at least guarantee us a KO though so wouldn't be totally against it. I really don't think Khan would pose Mayweather any problems at all, unlike some posters on boxing forums I go on.

His best asset was his hand speed which helped him deliver his still extremely amateurish flurries. Since getting with Hunter, he seems to have stopped even that and looks even more vulnerable.
I think Khan is potentially better than that but I can't really argue based on his recent performances. I would just feel a lot better about this if he had notched one more win last fall.

That's sort of the problem all around. There isn't one specific fighter that I want to see in with Mayweather right now. I would like to see everyone at welter get a few more fights before going in with him and Danny Garcia, who is probably the most enticing on paper, has never fought at 147.

jimbor

Banned
I won't believe anything until there is an official announcement. Until then I am going to believe that this could be narrative-building leading up to the fight. If the match-up itself isn't going to sell then they need to manufacture drama.

I think Khan is potentially better than that but I can't really argue based on his recent performances. I would just feel a lot better about this if he had notched one more win last fall.

That's sort of the problem all around. There isn't one specific fighter that I want to see in with Mayweather right now. I would like to see everyone at welter get a few more fights before going in with him and Danny Garcia, who is probably the most enticing on paper, has never fought at 147.

I agree. There's no one at 140 - 154 that I think would be a good fight for Mayweather really. I think Garcia 'deserves' it the most but yeah, you already covered it.

I can't find a video. I will try to make a gif eventually if I can.

Maybe I'm being too dramatic. Basically he bent over his thai foe and yelled in his concused face until the ref pulled him away. The whole thing probably lasted two seconds. It's really more that the display happened in the context of him fighting an over-matched foe with a cartoonishly built-up record. He was supposed to do what two other minimal foes had already done: knock him out.

Here's the moment before it happened:

M0mOH0F.jpg

Basically he just bent down and taunted him until the ref pulled him away. So much for going back to your neutral corner.

I see. Thanks.

Top Bottom