• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Floyd is going to box circles around him, it's going to be a clinic. This isn't an untested Broner, Maidana (despite being a fun fighter to watch and a legit bad motherfucker) brings NOTHING to the table that Mayweather hasn't already seen or has trouble with.

I don't know if he even wins one round.

Tekniqs

i'd rather watch this fight than Floyd vs Khan though. lol Little Bro wants big bro to get revenge for him.

winner of Tim/Manny should fight Floyd in September. (one can only wish)

i'd rather watch this fight than Floyd vs Khan though. lol Little Bro wants big bro to get revenge for him.

Meh, at least Kahn brought speed to the table (along with a shitty chin and stamina, lol).

I really hope Bradley wins and then fights Floyd in a mega fight in the fall. Fuck this Cold War nonsense.

Deserves the shot more so than Khan. However, still outmatched. He's going to be thinking he is stepping in the ring with Broner 2.0, when in reality it's a different situation entirely. He will get schooled, and it will not be pretty.

More excited about Sergio and Cotto, and I hope Sergio is in similar shape as he was against Murray, because then it could get entertaining. If he is close to 100%, he will probably beat down Miguel with that hand speed. I'm a big Cotto fan, and I hate to admit that.

Also, concerning Zou Schming (sp?) he is a bit of an arrogant prick considering he fights kids all the time. And the ref did a terrible job ruling it a slip, when it was obvious that Zou had been knocked down by a right hand. Obviously, he was going to win regardless, he wasn't really hurt by the punch, just knocked off balance. Still, the 10 second reprieve could have made a difference for Yokthong.

i'd rather watch this fight than Floyd vs Khan though. lol Little Bro wants big bro to get revenge for him

I was also thinking this. If these words come out floyd's mouth and was one of the reason's why he picked Maidana, then he's the worst type of person and a bigger asshole that I've seen in a while.

TuXx

I was also thinking this. If these words come out floyd's mouth and was one of the reason's why he picked Maidana, then he's the worst type of person and a bigger asshole that I've seen in a while.

Expect it to happen. The whole Broner and Floyd "brother" relationship will be used as a tool to promote the fight.

Boogybro

Bottle job from Floyd. Easy fight. Can't even try and claim it would get more buys etc..

How can you call it a bottle job though? It's what the fans wanted. The fighter that deserved it more got the fight. He's fought (and it a champion) at the weight. It makes sense.

It's time to face facts people. I doesn't matter who Mayweather fights now at 147, no one is in his class. Until either Pacman or Bradley leaves Top Rank, Mayweather won't be in a competitive fight (unless he moves up)

Tom_Cody

Mayweather/Maidana is official according to Fight Hype.

Floyd UD 12.
Floyd Mayweather ‏@FloydMayweather 3m
I will be fighting Marcos Maidana May 3rd on Pay-per-view Showtime/CBS http://shots.me/p/3lh0k7to pic.twitter.com/Rc2N87zcjP

Nice, this should be interesting. Floyd wins but i want to see how this goes.
As I had said above I would have prefered Khan. Oh well, still a compelling fight. I pick Mayweather to win but I think it will be an exciting athletic display. Maidana will be on him all night. Mayweather will have to do a lot to win, but I have no doubt that he will rise to the occasion.

Mayweather vs Guerrero 2 with this Maidana fight.

Except Guerrero is not in the same league as Maidana.
This. I don't pick Maidana will win but he is a much more legitimate opponent than Guerrero. Maidana is arguably Goldenboy's number 2 fighter at 147 (behind Floyd). Is there anyone that you would rank higher? I would like to hear the argument.

Man, this fight ain't gonna be nothing. Alexander showed how to beat Maidana, watch what Floyd does/

Floyd is going to box circles around him, it's going to be a clinic. This isn't an untested Broner, Maidana (despite being a fun fighter to watch and a legit bad motherfucker) brings NOTHING to the table that Mayweather hasn't already seen or has trouble with.

I don't know if he even wins one round.
This is unfortunately a possibility as well.

I was actually really looking forward to the Broner-Maidana rematch. That is probably my biggest disappointment with this match-up.

Meh, at least Kahn brought speed to the table (along with a shitty chin and stamina, lol).

I really hope Bradley wins and then fights Floyd in a mega fight in the fall. Fuck this Cold War nonsense.
I agree regarding Khan, but what can you do. I'm still excited to see where he goes from here. There have been a lot of whispers about how good he has looked in the gym with Virgil Hunter at his new weight of 147. In a sense I am happy that the Mayweather fight isn't happening now because he will be able to further legitimize himself with 1-2 nice wins at 147. Also, one would think that a fight with Kell Brook would be huge in England. It's also a very legit fight.

I know floyd will win but you realize maidana is a different fighter after the fight with Devon right?
I agree. Everyone lost their shit when Thurman beat Soto Karass but Maidana knocked him out in 2012 (granted the circumstances were very different). Also, the win over Broner was truly his career best. By all measures he has improved tremendously since he started with Robert Garcia.

Expect it to happen. The whole Broner and Floyd "brother" relationship will be used as a tool to promote the fight.
I agree, and this completely emasculated Broner. I wanted to see Broner take the fight for himself.

Tom_Cody

Bottle job from Floyd. Easy fight. Can't even try and claim it would get more buys etc..
I completely disagree with you here. I think the one clear reason why he took this fight over the Khan fight was money. I'm sure that the people behind the scenes said that this would be bigger. Khan was the semi-announced opponent going back to last fall.

Floyd and his people then sat back to see if anything more interesting would come out of Goldenboy's large number of welterweight fights at the end of the year:

Shawn Porter vs. Devon Alexander
Keith Thurman vs. Jesus Soto Karass
Paul Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah
Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana

Ultimately nothing truly scintillating came out of these fights. Broner was obviously supposed to beat Maidana and Maidana forced Floyd's hand when he refused to fight Broner this spring. I think Floyd ultimately couldn't turn down his most lucrative potential opponent.

It's time to face facts people. I doesn't matter who Mayweather fights now at 147, no one is in his class. Until either Pacman or Bradley leaves Top Rank, Mayweather won't be in a competitive fight (unless he moves up)
I agree completely. Even if Floyd beats all of the guys listed above his legacy won't likely improve over where it is now. But I still want to see those fights. Floyd is still the most compelling fighter in the sport. He can do things that no one else can do and he is still undefeated after 17 years in the sport.

The only fights that will expand his legacy at this point are with the Top Rank guys or all the way up at 160. I don't think he even has any business worth doing at 154, except maybe with Lara. And that fight would be a stinker.

Tom_Cody

Deserves the shot more so than Khan. However, still outmatched. He's going to be thinking he is stepping in the ring with Broner 2.0, when in reality it's a different situation entirely. He will get schooled, and it will not be pretty.
I don't think he is going to be surprised here. I think that's being kind of disrespectful to Maidana. Again, I don't pick him to win, but I fully believe that he and Robert Garcia will come in with valid gameplan.

More excited about Sergio and Cotto, and I hope Sergio is in similar shape as he was against Murray, because then it could get entertaining. If he is close to 100%, he will probably beat down Miguel with that hand speed. I'm a big Cotto fan, and I hate to admit that.
I agree that it is a more exciting fight than Floyd's. Both of those guys are past their prime but it is somehow a perfectly calibrated match-up. I am strongly thinking about buying tickets to the fight.

Also, concerning Zou Schming (sp?) he is a bit of an arrogant prick considering he fights kids all the time. And the ref did a terrible job ruling it a slip, when it was obvious that Zou had been knocked down by a right hand. Obviously, he was going to win regardless, he wasn't really hurt by the punch, just knocked off balance. Still, the 10 second reprieve could have made a difference for Yokthong.
I agree all around. It definitely should have been ruled a knockdown but he also wasn't hurt. It was more about Zou being off balance while flailing uncoordinated punches at his hurt opponent to try to stop him.

Also, yes, he has been a dick to his opponents in his fights. He is fighting made to order opponents at this stage in his career. It would be like an Olympic sprinter beating a high school sprinter and then taunting him. No class.

I'm still interested to see what top rank can get out him. This was still only his 4th pro fight. He should continue to develop as a pro.

pulsemyne

How can you call it a bottle job though? It's what the fans wanted. The fighter that deserved it more got the fight. He's fought (and it a champion) at the weight. It makes sense.

The fans actually voted for the fight to be with Khan. The problem is though is that Khan is fast and Mayweather doesn't want to fight someone with fast hands. Yes Khan is chinny but at least he would give mayweather trouble.

Boogybro

The fans actually voted for the fight to be with Khan. The problem is though is that Khan is fast and Mayweather doesn't want to fight someone with fast hands. Yes Khan is chinny but at least he would give mayweather trouble.

The Insinuation that Mayweather is afraid of anything Amir Khan has to offer is ridiculous on every level.

Westlo

Da fuck?
mjlol.png

The main reason he's going with this fight isn't because he's "scared" slightly of Khan, it's because he can sell the "he beat the clone but can he beat the original" angle for this fight. What's the sell for the Khan fight........ yeah don't think too hard for that one.

Khan fans rallied for him to win that. Not boxing fans in general. I mean shit that poll only had like 35k voters total. Khan doesn't have anything that would give Mayweather trouble. Maidana at least has the longshot possibility of landing something hard enough to make a difference.

Maidana really is the better of the two fights, even if only slightly.

jimbor

Banned

LOL at this, avoiding somebody with average power, a shit chin and a shit recent record to go up against somebody worth power and impressive recent performance.

Khan's twitter followers boosted him big time (over a million versus Maidana's 100k or so) so a bit of a skewed poll to go off. ESPN and another boxing site both had polls in favour of Maidana.

Both fights are shit.

Kahn was the one I favored to see how Floyd handled someone who had fast hands and would try to box him from the outside. Kahn also has a shit chin, no ability to actually implement a game plan, suspect stamina, and the superpower to shart himself in his biggest fights.

Maidana has a lot of power, but showing a sloppy jab in his last few fights certainly doesn't make me a believer that he is going to do anything different than the last few Mayweather fights as a brawler who gets in close, gets pottshotted and then follows Floyd around for 12 rounds. He looked pretty damn buttflustered against the god awful Devon Alexander and went life and death with Eric Morales corpse.

Neither fight is 70$ PPV worthy. At least Maidana is coming off the Broner win so there's something to try and sell.

So once again, Floyd UD 12. Without the hands of glass, he could prob stop a frustrated Maidana late. They really need to build up an opponent for him for the fall if the stupid promotional cold war is going to stop it being against the Bradley/Manny winner.

Tekniqs

i'd like to see Broner against Khan on the undercard.

What's crazy is that Maidana would be a legit comp for ANYONE else in and around the 147 division. But since it's Floyd, words like "cherry pick" are thrown about recklessly.

jimbor

Banned
i'd like to see Broner against Khan on the undercard.

What's crazy is that Maidana would be a legit comp for ANYONE else in and around the 147 division. But since it's Floyd, words like "cherry pick" are thrown about recklessly.

Eh, it's a cherry pick however you look at it. It's the best option out of the two shitty choices presented.

Eh, it's a cherry pick however you look at it. It's the best option out of the two shitty choices presented.
Maidana is far from a shitty fighter. He's a live threat to any welterweight out there; problem is Mayweather is just that much better than everyone else.

Tom_Cody

Maidana is far from a shitty fighter. He's a live threat to any welterweight out there; problem is Mayweather is just that much better than everyone else.
This. People are going to keep saying this though unless he goes up to 160.

Or unless he takes a pay cut and faces the Top Rank fighters.

cmon Khan does not deserve this fight. his recent resume looks like crap. Maidana has been more impressive lately. and more people know his name after upsetting Broner.

jimbor

Banned
I said shitty choice, not fighter.

As for Brook, I'm past caring about him. Bored shitless if the this year's my year bollocks.

Tom_Cody

Team Khan announces their shortlist now that the Mayweather fight has evaporated:
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/khan-camp-names-opponent-short-list-237776

According to BoxNation pundit Steve Lillis, Khan’s “short list” includes IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter, IBF jr welterweight champion Lamont Peterson and former champions Adrien Broner and Paulie Malignaggi. Not on Khan’s list is bitter British rival and IBF #1 rated welterweight Kell Brook, who recently called out Khan, proclaiming that he would be Amir’s “biggest payday out there.”
I would most like to see him in with Porter or Peterson with Porter being the more interesting match-up for me. Even though he has only just now burst onto the stage with his win over Alexander, I have seen Porter fight ~6 times on ShoBox cards and various undercard matches over the last 4 years. He fought at middleweight as an amatuer and I think that he might be able to make waves at 147. A fight with Khan would be a great test for both men.

Regarding Peterson, I am a longtime fan and that fight would make sense for both fighters. Maybe they could do it in England this time to even things out after the last fight took place in DC.

Leunam

Threw a really bad hook yesterday on a bag and injured my right wrist just a tad. Can't rotate it too far but otherwise my hand is fine. Wonder how it would have fared before I had my new gloves and before I started wrapping a little further down my wrists.

Boogybro

Team Khan announces their shortlist now that the Mayweather fight has evaporated:

I would most like to see him in with Porter or Peterson with Porter being the more interesting match-up for me. Even though he has only just now burst onto the stage with his win over Alexander, I have seen Porter fight ~6 times on ShoBox cards and various undercard matches over the last 4 years. He fought at middleweight as an amatuer and I think that he might be able to make waves at 147. A fight with Khan would be a great test for both men.

Regarding Peterson, I am a longtime fan and that fight would make sense for both fighters. Maybe they could do it in England this time to even things out after the last fight took place in DC.

I would like any of those fights. But given that list, we already know he's gonna chose Malignaggi.

jimbor

Banned

I love Paulie but I think a Khan rematch is pointless. Porter would be interesting. What's Matthysse up to nowadays? I thought Khan was moving up as making 140 was killing him, at least according to him?

Tom_Cody

I would like any of those fights. But given that list, we already know he's gonna chose Malignaggi.
The fight makes sense for Khan but not for Malignaggi. Khan KOed Malignaggi in their previous fight and he could win a belt by doing it again.

From Malignaggi's end, he has said that he's holding out for Floyd. He's pulling the "I'm close to retirement" card. He knows that he's vulnerable and he wants to make the biggest payday possible before he hangs up his gloves. Whether that fight ever materializes or not is another question.

Khan already KOed him. The only reason that fight would happen is if Malignaggi were totally sure that he could avenge the loss.
I love Paulie but I think a Khan rematch is pointless. Porter would be interesting. What's Matthysse up to nowadays? I thought Khan was moving up as making 140 was killing him, at least according to him?
His next fight is almost certainly going to be at 147. The speculation is that the Peterson fight would take place at 147 (or a catch weight) so that Peterson could keep his belt even if he lost. Peterson got KOed by Matthysse at 141 and yet kept his belt.

Matthysse is rumored to return on the Mayweather-Maidana undercard. It looks like Richard Shafer is still trying to develop Matthysse into a Mayweather opponent.

Boogybro

The fight makes sense for Khan but not for Malignaggi. Khan KOed Malignaggi in their previous fight and he could win a belt by doing it again.

From Malignaggi's end, he has said that he's holding out for Floyd. He's pulling the "I'm close to retirement" card. He knows that he's vulnerable and he wants to make the biggest payday possible before he hangs up his gloves. Whether that fight ever materializes or not is another question.

Khan already KOed him. The only reason that fight would happen is if Malignaggi were totally sure that he could avenge the loss.His next fight is almost certainly going to be at 147. The speculation is that the Peterson fight would take place at 147 (or a catch weight) so that Peterson could keep his belt even if he lost. He got KOed by Matthysse at 141 and kept his belt.

Malignaggi had already said as much. And as he's always saying, very candidly, he only fights for the money these days. He hates the politics side of boxing, and the chances of him getting the Mayweather fight are slim to none.

Khan will want that fight, and I'm sure his camp would offer Malignaggi the right amount of money for it, as tight as they are, haha.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing him fight Peterson or Broner at either weight. Heck I think Alexander is still a viable option.

Tom_Cody

Malignaggi had already said as much. And as he's always saying, very candidly, he only fights for the money these days. He hates the politics side of boxing, and the chances of him getting the Mayweather fight are slim to none.

Khan will want that fight, and I'm sure his camp would offer Malignaggi the right amount of money for it, as tight as they are, haha.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing him fight Peterson or Broner at either weight. Heck I think Alexander is still a viable option.
...Interesting. I hadn't heard this.

The fight makes perfect sense for Khan. If Malignaggi wants it then I agree that it could actually happen. A win over Khan this spring could earn him Mayweather's fall slot.

Boogybro

...Interesting. I hadn't heard this.

The fight makes perfect sense for Khan. If Malignaggi wants it then I agree that it could actually happen. A win over Khan this spring could earn him Mayweather's fall slot.

I've definitely heard him tell it to Ellie Seckbach. Tracking the video down will be a pain though. He would give Khan a good fight but in my opinion I think he still loses by decision. The second half the fight would be interesting though, because Khan fades towards the end.

About to watch Salido and Lomachenko fight

EDIT: Salido up a few rounds already, Lomachenko looking like the lack of experience is a problem.

lol Khan, fight and beat someone of consequence first, than talk.

Wow this ref was ridiculous, Salido must have set the world record for low blows tonight.

And Lomachenko hurt Salido and may have earned a draw or win. Who knows, wow what a finish.

EDIT: Wow, split decision for Salido. Salido was overweight, didn't even try to make weight. He threw a ton of low bows, it's crazy that he barely got any warning. At the same time, that what veterans do, they use every trick they can to win a fight.

Lomachenko's handlers were wrong to put him in this fight right after his pro debut.

Ref should have taken multiple points from both men. Lomachenko hype train derailed, and the HBO excuse machine is in overdrive.

Not sure why they thought it would be a good idea to match him against a B level crafty veteran other than believing their own press.

Ref should have taken multiple points from both men. Lomachenko hype train derailed, and the HBO excuse machine is in overdrive.

Not sure why they thought it would be a good idea to match him against a B level crafty veteran other than believing their own press.

There is a reason why you rarely hear about young fighters going for a belt so early in their pro careers, this was a bad idea.

I saw some special things in Lomachenko. He's hard to hit solid, at least upstairs, and has good hand speed and combos; he moves very well. This style matchup was all wrong for him though; Salido is one of the best pressure fighters around, and crafty too. Gotta give him props for weathering that body attack, and those low blows, and going 12 hard rounds without wilting, even finishing strong against a guy like Salido this early in his career. The fight was ugly, but I think Lomachenko has a bright future.

Top Bottom