• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Chavez JR is in much better shape this time around and he is picking his punches and landing strong punches. Vera is hanging in there though.

EDIT: Chavez is whooping Vera. And this ref is pro chavez big time.

Much better showing from Chavez tonight, this is what should have happened the first time. Vera has got a ton of heart, but he could not hurt Chavez.

Man, he is a prick, going on his bike after all of that, but that's the guy he is, and you can do what you want when you win.

I hope he fights GGG and he will definitely get destroyed.

Tekniqs

Eh, it's a cherry pick however you look at it. It's the best option out of the two shitty choices presented.

who is Floyd supposed to fight? i'd like to hear your opinion on who wouldn't be a cherry pick.

my statement still stands. IF this was anyone else, Maidana would be a quality opponent. But Floyd is on a pedestal of double standards.

Tom_Cody

Interesting weekend of boxing:

Friday Night Fights' "Boxcino" Tournament over achieved again. The roster of middleweights is a lot thinner than the lightweights but the format still produced a fun night of boxing. I can't wait for the next round of fights.
-

ShoBox was ... something. Christopher Pearson vs. Lanardo Tyner proved to be a fun scrap and exactly the sort of crossroads fight that Shobox is known for. I would have liked to have seen Pearson make more adjustments over the course of the fight but I still think that he has some potential in the sport. Badou Jack's KO loss was a complete shock. It was so quick that I don't even know what to say about it. J'Leon Love's fight should have been stopped a lot earlier. On one hand he could have done more to get the stoppage, but he had still won virtually every second of the fight and the prolonged beating served no purpose.
-

HBO's card provided me with very little enjoyment.

Can we just agree that stunt match-making serves no purpose? Just as Broner learned that he probably shouldn't have jumped all the way up to 147, Lomachenko clearly should not have gone for this fight so soon. Obviously there were extenuating circumstances here (Salido's 10 pound weight advantage, the horrific reffing, his inexperienced management) but it was abundantly clear from every second of the fight that he should have taken more time to develop as a pro.

With bodyshots being one of the clear differences between amateur and pro boxing, everyone made hay that he scored a body shot KO in his first fight. But that did not prove that he had mastered countering against body shots. He should have been able to counter more of Salido's shots. That they were low only means that he had more to take advantage of in this area. The most frustrating thing is that he was doing a great job of making adjustments in the final third of the fight and almost scored a stoppage. This fight seemed to be a master class for him. I am still very excited about his career prospects and it is just a shame that he now has this blemish on his record due to his and his management's overzealousness. Oh well. I am still glad that he went this route as opposed to the Gary Russel Jr. route.

I honestly had to fast forward through the Chavez fight. Were it not for his name this fight would have been on ESPN. I hope the GGG fight does happen so we can seem him knocked out of the sport.

Dis_gon_be_good.gif

Ugh... Wtf at the stoppage. Even Canelo seemed to disagree. lol

I understand it, Angulo needed a knockout and was nowhere being able to get one. His eyes are cut and swollen and he was taking a beating, even if he wasn't knocked down yet.

Canelo did what he wanted, got his confidence back, although I'm not a fan of the showboating. He was being an ass, probably because he felt humiliated in his one sided loss to Floyd, that he took revenge for that tonight.

Panzon

Shit stoppage but Angulo was in a world of trouble

Edit: Actually not a shit stoppage but I can definitely understand why some fans are upset. The timing was kind of weird but Angulo was just taking too much damage

BadAss2961

Shit stoppage but Angulo was in a world of trouble

Edit: Actually not a shit stoppage but I can definitely understand why some fans are upset. The timing was kind of weird but Angulo was just taking too much damage
Angulo wasn't going to get the knockout he needed (would've taken a miracle), but he wasn't finished or defenseless yet to make that stoppage.

'Saving you from yourself' should be the manager's call. Refs should step in when the fighter is done.
Canelo vs Lara or whoever wins between Cotto and Martinez.

Edit: Damn did Canelo look amazing. Just puts into perspective a couple things:

Styles make fights, and Mayweather really is THAT good.

Angulo looked pretty bad tonight. But yeah, this still does make Floyd look even better. Canelo's a really good fighter, possibly great, and Floyd made him look amateur. Crazy thing is that he's done this to a lot of good-great fighters.

Angulo wasn't going to get the knockout he needed (would've taken a miracle), but he wasn't finished or defenseless yet to make that stoppage.

'Saving you from yourself' should be the manager's call. Refs should step in when the fighter is done.

Angulo looked pretty bad tonight. But yeah, this still does make Floyd look even better. Canelo's a really good fighter, possibly great, and Floyd made him look amateur. Crazy thing is that he's done this to a lot of good-great fighters.
Yep. It's kind of scary almost; Floyd is what; 36? And he hasn't lost anything, and he makes beasts like Canelo look ordinary, without running, right there in the pocket. He's an ass, but we will miss him when he's gone.

kcxiv

People have to remember Canelo was 22 when he fought floyd. Canelo isnt even as good as he can be, he's not in his prime, he's got about 2-3 years before he's in his boxing prime.

kodecraft

This does not make Floyd look better, he fought a DRAINED Canelo and the actual fight was just a sparring session.

The 'real' (not drained) Canelo gives Mayweather a fight like Cotto did.

Tekniqs

This does not make Floyd look better, he fought a DRAINED Canelo and the actual fight was just a sparring session.

so 152 is 'drained', but 153 is 'fine'
Canelo and his camp have said they came into the fight feeling strong and ready...only to get a boxing lesson from the best fighter in this world and any other world that might exist (according to Canelo's camp lol).

This is bullshit. Canelo never gave that excuse, so why are you trying to give it for him? And the "real" Canelo doesn't fight like Cotto, so what does that even mean?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I missed the fight! Where can I get a schedule for all big fights?

Angulo looked terrible, people sure are excited over Canelo beating a human heavy bag.
I mean, I thought Angulo would give a much better account than he did, but just like Teddy Atlas said; he was put there to make Canelo look like a world beater again. We all knew going in what Angulo's weaknesses were, and they fit in perfectly with all of Canelo's strengths. It was a showcase. Every once and awhile though, the underdog flips the script, and I'm not gonna lie, I was hoping for an upset, but I knew the reality.

BadAss2961

I mean, I thought Angulo would give a much better account than he did, but just like Teddy Atlas said; he was put there to make Canelo look like a world beater again. We all knew going in what Angulo's weaknesses were, and they fit in perfectly with all of Canelo's strengths. It was a showcase. Every once and awhile though, the underdog flips the script, and I'm not gonna lie, I was hoping for an upset, but I knew the reality.
I would've been hyped for the upset had it been Kirkland instead. Similar flaws to Angulo, but that dude is the real life Rocky.

I was down for an upset too, but Angulo fought really crappy. He looked like he had nothing on his shots. I expected him to at least check Canelos chin a few times, and he just followed him around throwing arm punches all fight.

I'm assuming Alverez fights the winner of Cotto/Martinez at a catch weight? No way his next fight is Lara.

Oh and a quick edit, I think Kirkland loses to Canelo but no way does he fight like Angulo. That would be one hell of a few rounds.

Tom_Cody

shit just got real in this 8th round!
Round of the year candidate right there. It sounded like the roof was going to burst off the arena.

I agree with the stoppage. Angulo was taking way too much punishment. Fights like this are what lead to brain damage in fighters, not one-punch KOs.

Canelo vs Lara or whoever wins between Cotto and Martinez.

Edit: Damn did Canelo look amazing. Just puts into perspective a couple things:

Styles make fights, and Mayweather really is THAT good.
I would enjoy seeing Canelo in with numerous guys at 154. He just has a very aesthetically pleasing style.

-The winner of Cotto-Martinez (obviously the most appealing fight)
-Lara
-Jermell Charlo
-The winner of Molina-Jermall Charlo
-James Kirkland

IMO Lara is overrated. I went back and rewatched a bunch of his fights over the last few months. His win over Trout was impressive but he arguably lost a clear decision to Molina and he took a lot of punishment from Angulo. He couldn't adapt to Molina's lateral movement and he couldn't adapt to Angulo's in-fighting and body punching. Canelo is better than both of them on all fronts. Lara is no Rigondeaux. If Canelo were actually afraid of Lara then Goldenboy would not own Lara's promotional contract. I think they're just trying to build it up to a PPV-level fight.

For real. I didn't see this outcome at all. I underestimated numerous factors:

-Canelo's size. I did not him to have a clear advantage in sizer and strength. Brawlers have nothing to offer if they don't have a strength advantage.

-Angulo's inability to deal with Canelo's movement. I will also give Canelo credit for his great footwork. Very underrated.

-Angulo's inability to do anything when not coming forward.

-Canelo's impressive mimicry of Floyd's shoulder roll defense off the ropes. In the early-middle rounds Canelo seemed to be bothered by Angulo's infighting (where he got warned for pushing). Towards the end of the fight he had figured out Angulo's aggression and he was able to slip Angulo's rushes and then counter-punch with combinations. Very impressive.

Top Bottom