• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Holy shit Manny schooled the shit outta Oscar... he could have stopped him in the 7th and then he CARRIED Oscar in the 8th... he could have dropped Oscar a few times but he actually walked away a few times when he had Oscar against the ropes..

Tonight Oscar looked like an old man.

De La Hoya quits. I guess he figured he put on enough of a show and was ready to go home and count his moneys. And the boxing world wonders why UFC is kicking the shit out of it in buyrates nowadays. Retire De La Hoya. ESPN even laughing. "Not a marquee victory in several years but keeps getting marquee paydays."

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Spider Silva said:
De La Hoya quits. I guess he figured he put on enough of a show and was ready to go home and count his moneys. And the boxing world wonders why UFC is kicking the shit out of it in buyrates nowadays. Retire De La Hoya. ESPN even laughing. "Not a marquee victory in several years but keeps getting marquee paydays."

:lol Just what I was thinking.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LOL at Pacman getting in those taunts during the fight. :lol

That looked like a Fight Night game on Easy.

Spider Silva said:
Thing is it isn't. They are both competitive. I don't see this as any different as what happened to Couture, the old legend got beat by an phenomenal athlete at his prime.

Kingpen

Spider Silva said:

Honestly I did not buy this PPV tonight because I'm spending my money on the stacked UFC 2008 card (Forest/Rashad, Mir, Rampage, etc...)

I knew I could catch it next week for free with a great heavyweight fight as well. Glad Oscar didn't get my money for freaking quiting. What the hell is that about???

BamYouHaveAids said:
Thing is it isn't. They are both competitive. I don't see this as any different as what happened to Couture, the old legend got beat by an phenomenal athlete at his prime.

Actually UFC has had bigger yearly buyrates than boxing and WWE for a while now. And comparing Couture to De La Hoya is laughable. De La Hoya is a master promoter, but as a boxer hasn't had a meaningful victory in like six years. Couture was off a year layoff, but at least beat several meaningful fighters and actually WON the title. Completely different.

Marvie_3

Banned
....um.....What the fuck was that? The first fight between Rocky Balboa and Clubber Lang was more competitive than that disgrace....

Spider Silva said:
Actually UFC has had bigger yearly buyrates than boxing and WWE for a while now. And comparing Couture to De La Hoya is laughable. De La Hoya is a master promoter, but as a boxer hasn't had a meaningful victory in like six years. Couture was off a year layoff, but at least beat several meaningful fighters and actually WON the title. Completely different.
Randy Couture's record is 16-9, he won the title in the UFC's weakest division beating a weak champion in Tim Sylvia. The only two fighters he has beat in the last two years are Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga, this is following a loss to Chuck Liddell. You are right the comparison is laughable, Couture isn't on Oscar's level.

I would LOVE to see Manny Pac vs Floyd Mayweather. THAT would be a mega fight now. Hatton could also be a big fight as well as Cotto. Margarito might just be too big.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
VindicatorZ said:
I would LOVE to see Manny Pac vs Floyd Mayweather. THAT would be a mega fight now. Hatton could also be a big fight as well as Cotto. Margarito might just be too big.

Cotto vs. Pac-Man

See, Oscar, this is what happens when you fight someone who actually WANTS to fight back, not just spar with you for a payday. Oscar's only advantage in this fight was going to be his size, and his dumbass didn't add on any weight after the weigh-ins. He actually came in LIGHTER than Manny?! WTF?? Oscar deserves this asskicking for talking shit about Freddie Roach and "I felt i wasn't prepared" after the PBF fight when his new crew had him even worse prepared. Karma's a bitch.

You won't find me giving Oscar any shit for calling it quits though. That was the smart thing. There was no sense in going out and getting his brains beat in for 4 more rounds. There was absolutely nothing he was going to be able to do. The shit was done. Fuck honor or toughness, nobody thinks Evander Holyfield is tough or honorable because he walks around half-tarded from getting beat up one too many times.

oh and forget Hatton, Manny would run right through him just like Floyd did. Pretty Boy vs. Manny NEEDS to happen now. It's the biggest potential fight left in boxing by far and the box office has to be enough to draw Floyd back into the ring.

Ninja Scooter said:
oh and forget Hatton, Manny would run right through him just like Floyd did. Pretty Boy vs. Manny NEEDS to happen now. It's the biggest potential fight left in boxing by far and the box office has to be enough to draw Floyd back into the ring.

This. Screw Hatton.

BamYouHaveAids said:
Randy Couture's record is 16-9, he won the title in the UFC's weakest division beating a weak champion in Tim Sylvia. The only two fighters he has beat in the last two years are Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga, this is following a loss to Chuck Liddell. You are right the comparison is laughable, Couture isn't on Oscar's level.

Sylvia was at least a top 10 divisional fighter, so was Gonzaga at the time. That was what, two years ago?

Since De La Hoya beat Shane Mosely in September of 2003, he beat Felix Sturm in 2004, a washed up Richard Mayorga in 2006, and some guy named Steve Forbes this year. THAT'S IT. IN FIVE PLUS YEARS. Whether you think Couture hasn't beat anyone is one thing, but at least he beat the current champion, he beat two top 10 fighters.

Couture isn't a promoter, which is basically what De La Hoya is. He deserves credit for being such a great promoter of himself, but hopefully he rides off in the sunset and becomes a promoter for other fighters. Saying Couture isn't on Oscar's level is laughable, Couture at least won the title and defended it. Sylvia and Gonzaga may not be confused for the best of all time, but they're certaintly better than a washed up Richard Mayorga and some guy named Steve Forbes.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Ninja Scooter said:

Didn't Mayweather go into witness protection when Margarito came looking for him?

MrToughPants said:
Didn't Mayweather go into witness protection when Margarito came looking for him?

Mayweather retired before Margarito was the hot shit. At that time everyone wanted Pretty Boy vs Cotto. Don't think Margaritio is a big enough draw to pull Floyd out of retirement. Manny, fresh off a win over De La Hoya, would do HUUUUUUUGE numbers.

Quazar

All of you people touting a Mayweather Manny fight, how many of you actually believe Manny would win? Hatton would be a better fight for Manny right now IMO. But yea money talks.

cvxfreak

Holy shit, it was so crazy being there! :D

The pro-Oscar crowd (aka Mexicans) walked away before the in-ring interviews. But unlike the Marquez fight, I didn't hear any anti-Filipino remarks this time... probably because Oscar got his ass kicked. :lol The Marquez fight was much closer.

Still carry lots of respect for Oscar, but I'm glad Pacquiao won. :)

Going to try to catch him at an after party! Pacquiao's actually a family friend of mine.

DarienA

Quazar said:
All of you people touting a Mayweather Manny fight, how many of you actually believe Manny would win? Hatton would be a better fight for Manny right now IMO. But yea money talks.

Manny would destroy Ricky, I'd like to see a Manny/Floyd fight but I don't think Floyd would come out of retirement for that fight... too bad.

I'm annoyed at the non-answers Oscar gave during his interview.

Spider Silva said:
he beat Felix Sturm in 2004

Thing is... Sturm dominated that fight the win for Oscar was a f'n gift, he lost that fight. Sturm controlled the shit outta that fight with his jab.

Quazar

DarienA said:
Manny would destroy Ricky, I'd like to see a Manny/Floyd fight but I don't think Floyd would come out of retirement for that fight... too bad.

I'm annoyed at the non-answers Oscar gave during his interview.

Thing is... Sturm dominated that fight the win for Oscar was a f'n gift, he lost that fight. Sturm controlled the shit outta that fight with his jab.

Agreed on Sturm fight. But I'd love to see if Manny can 'destroy' Hatton like you said. I think that fight would show where Manny stands more than this flop of a fight tonight. I think jumping into a Mayweather fight would be shit for him other than the money.

DarienA

Quazar said:
Agreed on Sturm fight. But I'd love to see if Manny can 'destroy' Hatton like you said. I think that fight would show where Manny stands more than this flop of a fight tonight. I think jumping into a Mayweather fight would be shit for him other than the money.

Well I think Manny has the power to stop Hatton sooner than Floyd did as Floyd is a more defensive minded fighter, and Manny is more more aggressive as shown in his last two fights.

Floyd simply has no reason to come out of retirement.... a Manny/Floyd fight won't bring him the kinda of money his big inflated ego needs... I'd love to see it happen, I just don't think it will.

Quazar

DarienA said:
Well I think Manny has the power to stop Hatton sooner than Floyd did as Floyd is a more defensive minded fighter, and Manny is more more aggressive as shown in his last two fights.

Floyd simply has no reason to come out of retirement.... a Manny/Floyd fight won't bring him the kinda of money his big inflated ego needs... I'd love to see it happen, I just don't think it will.

Ok, I get what you're seeing. But Hatton is a nice pressure fighter with power. I just have a hard time seeing Manny backing Hatton up. I think it'd be a great fight. Though Hatton has left a shitty impression with me last couple fights.

Either fight would be great. Though I'd love to see Margarito/Mayweather more tbh.

I think boxing is in a state of transition that is not occuring. You had pound for pound your best fighter basically leave the sport. That's huge paydays gone if Mayweather doesn't return. The heavyweight title is a joke and they don't even bother having heavyweight title fights in the states anymore since its dominated by former Soviet province fighters.

There's a ton of hanger on's that still are in big pay per views they shouldn't be in, on name recognition, and aren't competitive in those fights. See: De La Hoya tonight. Holyfield gets thrown a title fight every year even though it looks like he's going to die in the ring. Roy Jones Jr needs to be done now. A Shane Mosely isn't looking better. The Executioner, Bernard Hopkins is the only boxer of age that deserves to be around anymore. It's asking in vain to ask for this sport to change, I'm not sure if it ever will.

I don't have a main fights schedule handy, but does anyone know what fights are coming up?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
box_g_pacquiao06_600.jpg

Repeat this a few hundred times and you have tonight's fight.

DarienA

Quazar said:
Ok, I get what you're seeing. But Hatton is a nice pressure fighter with power. I just have a hard time seeing Manny backing Hatton up. I think it'd be a great fight. Though Hatton has left a shitty impression with me last couple fights.

Either fight would be great. Though I'd love to see Margarito/Mayweather more tbh.

Yeah see that's the thing I don't think Hatton has looked that great in his last fights... and Manny's look awesome in his last fights... Hatton is a pressure fight but he can be an out of control undisciplined pressure fight, and Floyd made him pay for that. Sure Floyd Sr is training him now but you don't eliminate years of habit just like that.

Plus I think Manny is quicker than Hatton so if he needed to play the counter puncher he can do that.. and as evidenced he can be hard to hit.

Spider Silva said:
I don't have a main fights schedule handy, but does anyone know what fights are coming up?

Two links for you:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?page=boxing/schedule/index

http://www.boxrec.com/schedule.php?country=&division=&title=&tv=&SUBMIT=Go

The second link you can tailor to see fights, the first is ESPN's list.

mrbagdt

Ninja Scooter said:
You won't find me giving Oscar any shit for calling it quits though. That was the smart thing. There was no sense in going out and getting his brains beat in for 4 more rounds. There was absolutely nothing he was going to be able to do. The shit was done. Fuck honor or toughness, nobody thinks Evander Holyfield is tough or honorable because he walks around half-tarded from getting beat up one too many times.

i am not really a boxing fan, but i wanted to watch this last night because i WANT to enjoy boxing, i just have not been able to do it. last night was awesome tho! i don't blame hoya for stopping when he did tho- i dont think he really landed a single meaningful shot the entire fight. it would have just been 4 more rounds of him taking blows to the head and damaging himself. i think the floyd fight would be cool to watch, but i don't know enough about this stuff to know if he would come back to fight or not. i like manny, he is enjoyable to watch and i love how he was smiling and happy the whole way leading to the ring like this was the most fun he had ever had, then he looked all business when the bell rang.

cthoaa

zmdyq1.jpg

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

After polling, Manny Pacquiao is rated fifth on the welterweight chart following his technical stoppage of Oscar De La Hoya. He remains rated #2 among lightweights, but will probably come off as details are released for his next fight, likely his second consecutive out of the weight class. De La Hoya is off the light welterweight chart and isn't rated in the welterweight division.

The pound-for-pound chart is unchanged.

Ring Magazine's Junior Middleweight Ratings as of Dec. 7

1. Vernon Forrest USA 41-3-0 (29)
2. Paul Williams USA 36-1-0 (27)
3. Verno Phillips USA 42-10-1 (21)
4. Cory Spinks USA 36-5-0 (11)
5. Sergio Mora USA 21-1-1 (5)
6. Sergio Martinez ARG 44-1-1 (24)
7. Sergei Dzindziruk UKR 36-0-0 (22)
8. Daniel Santos PUR 32-3-1 (23)
9. Joachim Alcine HAI 30-1-0 (19)
10. James Kirkland USA 24-0-0 (21)

Ring Magazine's Welterweight Ratings as of Dec. 7

1. Antonio Margarito MEX 37-5-0 (27)
2. Miguel Cotto PUR 32-1-0 (26)
3. Shane Mosley USA 45-5-0 (38)
4. Joshua Clottey GHA 35-2-0 (20)
5. Manny Pacquiao PHI 48-3-2 (37)
6. Carlos Quintana PUR 26-2-0 (20)
7. Zab Judah USA 37-6-0 (25)
8. Luis Collazo USA 29-3-0 (14)
9. Andre Berto USA 23-0-0 (19)
10. Isaac Hlatswayo RSA 28-1-1 (10)

Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound Ratings as of Dec. 7

1. Manny Pacquiao PHI 48-3-2 (37)
2. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX 49-4-1 (36)
3. Joe Calzaghe GBR 46-0-0 (32)
4. Bernard Hopkins USA 49-5-1 (32)
5. Israel Vazquez MEX 43-4-0 (31)
6. Antonio Margarito MEX 37-5-0 (27)
7. Rafael Marquez MEX 37-5-0 (33)
8. Miguel Cotto PUR 32-1-0 (26)
9. Ivan Calderon PUR 32-0-0 (6)
10. Ricky Hatton GBR 45-1-0 (32)

High profile fights through the weekend include:

Steve Cunningham vs. Tomasz Adamek tomrorow for Cunningham's IBF cruiserweight title. It's #1 vs. #2 according to Ring, so a new belt will be issued to the winner.

Holt-Torres III was going to be this Saturday on Showtime, but it was called off as Torres pulled out earlier in the week with a viral infection. Demetrius Hopkins takes his place, challenging for Holt's WBO light welterweight belt. (EDIT: Showtime interview with Holt re: new opponent.)

HBO is showing Wladimir Klitschko vs. Hasim Rahman for the IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight titles.

Just a heads up to my fellow boxing fans.

Klitchko vs Rahman is on HBO RIGHT NOW due to the time zone difference. I think they are fighting in russia. The actually fight does not start for probably another hour but im sure there is a couple undercard fights.

Actually the fight is not gonna happen in about an hour, IT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!

Rahman is walking into the ring as I type this.... Just giving a heads up.

Quazar

Well we get Holt/Hopkins tonight. Saw the first Torres/Holt fight and wow. :lol Second fight was still more epic though.

cthoaa

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_4657980,00.html

Floyd Mayweather Jnr has gatecrashed negotiations between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton by offering the 'Hitman' a rematch.

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum had suggested a clash between the 'Pacman', currently regarded as the world's number one pound-for-pound fighter, and the light-welterweight champion Hatton could take place in May.

But Ricky's father Ray has since confirmed Mayweather is looking to come out of retirement to take on the Mancunian once again, despite dishing out a 10-round beating 12 months ago.

"We had a conversation with a third party last night asking whether if we were approached by the Mayweather team could a possible rematch be on the cards," Ray Hatton told Sky Sports News.
The article also has some quotes from Arum on the possible Hatton-Pacquiao matchup insisting that it wouldn't take place at Wembley as it "makes no economic sense because we'll have to do it at 5am, outdoors, where there is a 90 per cent chance of rain."

Top Bottom