• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
So my two favorite boxers fighting and one got to lose. I finally decide to watch the fight and shit, Calzaghe is grinning, boxing with his hands down, punching the shit out of Jones and Jones is bleeding like fuck.

I hate fights like this when you can't pick anyone and want to see both win.

TheCardPlayer

Agent Icebeezy said:
I can't take this slapboxing shit man :lol
Slaps? Tell that to Jones's eye.

I hope the fight doesn't get stopped but if it gets too dangerous for Jones I want him out of there.

TheCardPlayer

Roy is just getting hurt now, there is nothing more he can do. The ref should stop this. This is really getting retarded.

TheCardPlayer

Roy finished that fight even with the cut and he took all those punches like a freaking man. Amazing display of heart right there.

Calzaghe is just a machine.

Blackface

Banned
harSon said:
I'd love to see Calzaghe try and fight Roy in his prime, wouldn't even be competitive :lol RJJ looked better in his last fight with Trinidad but that's honestly not saying much, he still looked like an aging hack in the beginning of that fight.

Joe has been calling him out for a decade. Do you think Joe is in his prime? Joe right now, is garbage compared to how good he used to be. Thats why RING magazine called it the number 2 fight they want to see. This was over 5 years ago.

It's not Joe's fault Roy refused to fight him. Roy is a legend. Joe is a legend. Both fought great fighters.

However, the age stuff needs to disapear. They are only three years apart. When Roy was the same age as Joe, he was busy getting knocked out.

Nobody knows how the fight would play out if they did figh in their primes. Speculating is fucking stupid. Roy is a top 50 boxer, Joe may end up being a top 50 boxer. Thats all that matters.

Nobody knows how a fight in their primes would have ended. Thats why everyone wanted to see it, when they were in their primes. No point in takng away anything from Joe's win. He fights anyone. He has never ducked.

harSon

Banned
Ugh... Wish Calzaghe didn't choose to start fighting the elite boxers outside his country so late, they're all aged has beens :/

Blackface

Banned
harSon said:
Ugh... Wish Calzaghe didn't choose to start fighting the elite boxers outside his country so late, they're all aged has beens :/

He tried. They didn't want to fight him because there was no money in it. He has been calling out Jones for over half a decade.

Also. Joe has been beating top American boxers for a few years now. There is only 1 fighter he hasn't beaten worth fighting. Thats Dawson.

harSon

Banned
Trax416 said:
Joe has been calling him out for a decade. Do you think Joe is in his prime? Joe right now, is garbage compared to how good he used to be. Thats why RING magazine called it the number 2 fight they want to see. This was over 5 years ago.

It's not Joe's fault Roy refused to fight him. Roy is a legend. Joe is a legend. Both fought great fighters.

However, the age stuff needs to disapear. They are only three years apart. When Roy was the same age as Joe, he was busy getting knocked out.

Nobody knows how the fight would play out if they did figh in their primes. Speculating is fucking stupid. Roy is a top 50 boxer, Joe may end up being a top 50 boxer. Thats all that matters.

Nobody knows how a fight in their primes would have ended. Thats why everyone wanted to see it, when they were in their primes. No point in takng away anything from Joe's win. He fights anyone. He has never ducked.

Bullshit. Calzaghe didn't fight a boxer worth a damn until two years ago when he exposed a highly overrated Jeff Lacy. Since then he has fought Kessler, an unchallenged Danish boxer, and Hopkins/RJJ both of whom are obviously beacons of their former selves. I don't think Manfredo is worth mentioning :lol

Roy finished that fight even with the cut and he took all those punches like a freaking man. Amazing display of heart right there.

QFT.

Roy comes out of this with a tremendous amount of credit.

Most important thing I think was it was a great fight to watch, both fighters going for it, trading. The kind of fight boxing really needs.

Calzaghe is just a machine.

Yeah, he sure knows how to take a punch!

Blackface

Banned
harSon said:
Bullshit. Calzaghe didn't fight a boxer worth a damn until two years ago when he exposed a highly overrated Jeff Lacy. Since then he has fought Kessler, an unchallenged Danish boxer, and Hopkins/RJJ both of whom are obviously beacons of their former selves. I don't think Manfredo is worth mentioning :lol

1. Over-rated Lacy? THe same lacy with one loss in his career, and is still a top 10 SMW?

Kessler, Lacy, bika, Ashira, Veit, Salem, Ferreyra, Eubank Where all ranked when he beat them. Kessler, Bika, and Lacy are still ranked at Super middle weight. That doesn't count Roy, who ducked him for 5 years (and is ranked), or Hopkins, either. He fought other ranked fighters as well.

Joe is the only established undefeated fighter left in the rankings next to Dawson. Thats it.

harSon

Banned
Trax416 said:
1. Over-rated Lacy? THe same lacy with one loss in his career, and is still a top 10 SMW?

Kessler, Lacy, bika, Ashira, Veit, Salem, Ferreyra, Eubank Where all ranked when he beat them. Kessler, Bika, and Lacy are still ranked at Super middle weight. That doesn't count Roy, who ducked him for 5 years (and is ranked), or Hopkins, either. He fought other ranked fighters as well.

Joe is the only established undefeated fighter left in the rankings next to Dawson. Thats it.

Yes, the very same Lacy who fought nobodies to spring himself to stardom. The very same Lacy that looked like absolute shit against Manfredo and Epifanio Mendoza, the very same Lacy who was supposed to fight Jermain Taylor but decided to retire instead. Kessler and possibly Lacy (I'm being quite generous) are the only names worthy of recognition in that list. And to my knowledge, Calzaghe wasn't able to get a fight until he broke his ridiculous requirement of not fighting outside of Europe.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Jones should retire...and why wasn't he throwing punches when Joe had his guard down and taunted him the entire match?

harSon

Banned
MrToughPants said:
Jones should retire...and why wasn't he throwing punches when Joe had his guard down and taunted him the entire match?

His staff is a complete joke, have you seen his sparring partner? He's fat as fuck :lol

So Haye vs Barret and Lacy vs Taylor this weekend.

I expect Haye to be explosive and dispose of '2 Gunz' in the 2nd round.

Taylor will completely shut out a tough, but shot Lacy in a lopside UD.

watched last night but didn't post, but Lacy got dominated. Sad to see as i had high hopes for him but it seems the Calzaghe fight destroyed the guy. Like some Meldrick Taylor type of shit.

and caught a replay of the Calzaghe/Jones fight. Calzaghe looked great, but did he come across as a huge douche in the last few rounds, even the announcers pointed it out. Clowning around and taunting your opponent when he's fighting blind and still toughing it out only makes you look like a dick.

cthoaa

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Following a unanimous decision victory over Jeff Lacy, Jermain Taylor is rated #5 in the super middleweight division after polling. Lacy, previously #5, is dropped to tenth.

Ring Magazine's Super Middleweight Ratings for period ending Nov. 17

1. Mikkel Kessler DEN 41-1-0 (31)
2. Lucian Bute ROU 23-0 (18)
3. Librado Andrade MEX 27-2-0 (21)
4. Anthony Mundine AUS 34-3-0 (23)
5. Jermain Taylor USA 28-2-1 (17)
6. Carl Froch GBR 23-0-0 (19)
7. Sakio Bika CMR 27-3-2 (17)
8. Allan Green USA 27-1-0 (19)
9. Denis Inkin RUS 34-0-0 (24)
10. Jeff Lacy USA 24-2-0 (17)

Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending Nov. 17

1. Manny Pacquiao PHI 47-3-2 (36)
2. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX 49-4-1 (36)
3. Joe Calzaghe GBR 46-0-0 (32)
4. Bernard Hopkins USA 49-5-1 (32)
5. Israel Vazquez MEX 43-4-0 (31)
6. Antonio Margarito MEX 37-5-0 (27)
7. Rafael Marquez MEX 37-5-0 (33)
8. Miguel Cotto PUR 32-1-0 (26)
9. Ivan Calderon PUR 32-0-0 (6)
10. Paul Williams USA 35-1-0 (26)

Their site was re-designed after their partnership with Yahoo!. It's dumb because you'd have to click through each division (seventeen!) to see what's new.

The fight itself was okay, but a little tedious after the middle rounds. Taylor looked good working off his jab, but Lacy wasn't really doing much to get out of the way.

Ninja Scooter said:
watched last night but didn't post, but Lacy got dominated. Sad to see as i had high hopes for him but it seems the Calzaghe fight destroyed the guy. Like some Meldrick Taylor type of shit.

gollumsluvslave said:
Calzaghe was actually letting Jones off the hook. He could have pressed it and got the fight stopped easiliy.

Because of the way the fight was going and the showboating and the blood and Jones' age (likely his last fight so there's no need to keep him viable), it didn't look like he was carrying his opponent through twelve, but rather dragging him through the mud. Not that that's what he was meant to do, but it looked like it.

cthoaa

2mo8sjs.jpg

De La Hoya-Pacquiao 24/7 : Episode 1 (Yahoo!)
24-7 Pacquiao-De La Hoya: Episode 1 (ESPN)

Originally planned for three episodes, DLH-Pacquiao 24/7 was expanded to four. The first one aired Sunday.

December's PPV will likely be the year's biggest, but probably won't hit the predicted 1.5 million buys. Following a record-breaking 2007, HBO Boxing was off to a good start in the first quarter of 2008, but their PPV business has since fallen off a cliff. Last month Pavlik-Hopkins did 190,000 buys, down from Pavlik-Taylor II earlier this year (~250,000) and Hopkins' last PPV bout vs. Winky (305,000). Early estimates have Calzaghe-Jones at around 200,000, down from Jones-Trinidad earlier this year (~500,000). More here.

cthoaa

21mvr83.jpg

Caballero unifies 122lb titles (YouTube)

Fight particulars, an interview with the winner, and replays of the finish of last night's super bantamweight unification bout between Celestino Caballero and Steve Molitor. Caballero takes Molitor's IBF belt to go along with his own WBA title. Very one-sided fight; very disappointing from Molitor.

Top Bottom