• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Tom_Cody

65a3d9cbc91fa9bedd917e93dc154b81-ge.jpg

7c42416420b26c1e79b6876355b2a643-ge.jpg

4c1f4dbe6af3a1f69e97c757186e1dee-ge.jpg

106a0d06e58a54ce90a08b118a9a24bc-ge.jpg

(Towel being thrown in.)

In honor of Shane's historic victory, here is one of my favorite Shane Mosley knockouts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHoTb_oXgvE

cthoaa

I couldn't watch this live because I had to watch figure skating with my mom and I messed up the DVR! (I like figure skating, though, and the girl I like won.)

Anyway, this was just awesome and I hate that we didn't see the fight unspoiled because it's really surprising given their performances in their respective last fights.

The technique isn't the same, of course, but Mosley reminded me of Tyson with his aggression against a bigger man, clubbing right hands, and black-on-black ring attire. His footwear even looked lower than usual.

kobashi100 said:
Mosley was awesome. Brilliant hand speed, Bob Arum looked pissed!! :)
I felt bad for him (kinda) because he tries to sit ringside composed and mindful of those around him who have vested interests in the fighters like family and fellow promoters. And he had to sit right next to Hopkins who had no problems standing up throughout the fight shouting instructions at Mosley. He was pretty much in Arum's lap at points to follow the action. And then he bolted over Arum across everyone in the front row and to the ring on the knockdown before the end of round 8. Richard Schaeffer looked a little embarrassed trying to call him back. (To be fair, Margarito was done at that point.)

gollumsluvslave said:
I wonder whether AM can come back after that, especially now with the ugly rumours concerning his hand-wrapping.
Yah, his reputation took two real big hits last night. The illusion of indestructibility comes off as his iron chin was cracked and the now the credibility of his previous wins comes under scrutiny.

Trinidad got lots of flak after accusations from Team Hopkins of illegal wrappings and, ultimately, there wasn't any evidence of wrongdoing. In Marg's case, the "plaster" has been collected and he might get hit with formal punishment to go with public condemnation.

Yah, his reputation took two real big hits last night. The illusion of indestructibility comes off as his iron chin was cracked

I think between this fight and the Cotto fight, Margarito's punch resistance must surely have suffered a ton.

RBH

Boxing legends Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield will stage an epic third fight in Abu Dhabi this October, Arabian Business can reveal.

Full details of the historic fight will be announced on Feb. 1. It is understood that the bout will be held at the open air Zayed Sports City Stadium in front of 25,000 boxing fans, with sources indicating it will be the “richest fight in history.”

Sources suggest that each fighter will earn more than $34 million for the Abu Dhabi clash, which is expected to be televised world-wide.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/544592-tyson-and-holyfield-to-fight-in-abu-dhabi

There are no words.

theBishop

Banned
I totally called that Mosley win. Margarito didn't look all that great against Cotto. Cotto was jumping from rope to rope that fight. He was trying some bizarro strategy and it didn't work against a competent aggressor. But against Mosley, Margarito simply didn't have the skill. He was out-classed by a superior opponent.

Also WTF?! @ Tyson / Holyfield rematch :lol

cthoaa

This is awful. Hopefully, it's just a press release to get someone publicity.

The advertised purse makes it sound suspicious seeing as how Holyfield got around USD 750,000 for his last fight vs Valuev. They'd be bumping his pay 50 times just for kicks.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Quazar said:
As for HBO, I'm happy to see another Kirkland fight lined up. He's so exciting despite his apparent flaws.

Yup Kirkland's a good one, plus he's trained by my girl Ann Wolfe whose knockout of Vonda Ward I will NEVER forget... even if she doesn't acknowledge getting blasted on her own website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h-hmcnlmrQ

24 second mark

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The wife and I are going to the Manny P/Ricky H fight... already got our room at the MGM Grand just waiting for the tickets to go on sale tomorrow....

The wife and I are going to the Manny P/Ricky H fight... already got our room at the MGM Grand just waiting for the tickets to go on sale tomorrow....

It's an intriguing bout to be sure. Prior to the Malignaggie fight, I would have agreed with Manny that Hatton is one-dimensional, but he showed against Paullie that he can box, as well as brawl, bully and fight.

That said, I think that as long as Manny doesn't believe hsi own press too much and doesn't let the DLH victory make him complacent, he will be too fast for Hatton.

Ricky will need to use as much smarts to get Pacman backed up and onto the ropes as much as possible.
And REALLY work the body shots.

Thought I would bump the thread with news that Joe Calzaghe retired:

http://www.cbssports.com/boxing/story/11344401

Boxing loses another legitimate contender, at least he got a couple paydays out of it at the end.

Also I meant to comment on the Friday Night Fight last week between Urango and Ngoudjo. It was one of the more crazier fights I've seen period. Ngoudjo was in front of the hometown crowd in Montreal, and Teddy Atlas has the fight fairly even throughout the fight although Urango barely ahead, but the cards were willdy in favor of Urango, and all over the place, and before they announced the decision it sounded like it may have been another Montreal screwjob. Also this moment in the 10th round was ridiculous and unbelievable:

Give credit to the ringside timer, too, who made the fight last nearly 13 rounds. The timer never rang the bell when the 10th should have ended, instead allowing it to drag on for 5 minutes, 10 seconds.

http://www.cbssports.com/boxing/story/11320225

That was crazy. ESPN was ready to cut to commercial immediately after the round like they usually do and the commentators were silent at the end of the round like they always do when they're anticipating the round over. After about 30 seconds they were like "this round is going really long." And it kept going. And going. The announcers were just in awe that something like that could happen. And it went on for over FIVE minutes.

Crazy shit, probably one of the better fights I've seen recently.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Not much of a professional boxing follower but thought I'd ask here.

Has there been any news regarding Holyfield about a possible future (re)match?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I'm sad that Calzaghe retired, but at the same time, I am disappointed that he didn't fight Chad Dawson.

I think that Dawson could have taken it, to be honest. He's great.

TheCardPlayer

Vic Darchinyan Vs Jorge Arce. I'm rooting for El Travieso. One of the most entertaining fighters I have ever seen. Not that Vic is sloppy himself, I just have a soft spot for Arce's style.

I think Ruslan Chagaev is fighting too.

cthoaa

2vlpkw8.jpg

V.Darchiyan (c, 31-1-1, 25 KOs) vs. J.Arce (51-4-1, 39 KOs) - WBC, WBA, IBF superflyweight titles

Jorge Arce "Travieso" training like "Rocky" for Darchinyan (YouTube)
Darchinyan's New Sparring Partner (YouTube) - nice-looking girl IMO

I like Arce, too, and am rooting for him here, but I think this is just a bad time to be fighting Darchinyan. Against the unbeaten Vic that hadn't been KOed, I think Arce would've won, but now Darchinyan's punches are shorter, more compact while still retaining power. His defense is also better now. (It's not saying much, but still... ) Also, Vic's competition lately has been stronger in comparison.

I don't expect Arce to wilt under the pressure as Mijares did and he'll have good moments in the fight, but if Vic gets rolling, I just think Arce will find himself on the losing end of the exchanges. Hopefully, I'm wrong (I was very, very wrong about Mijares-Vic) and Arce gets in good to the body and eventually wears him down.

Arce-Hussein I is one my favorite fights ever and this fight, even with Darchinyan's awkwardness, won't be too far off stylistically. (Arce's fights almost always end up toe-to-toe brawls, regardless.) I hope it will be fun.

2ugjhmr.jpg

Darchinyan vs. Arce: Weigh In (YouTube)

TheCardPlayer

Arce ended up in the hospital. I think that says it all. I hate to think what would have happened if he fought round 12. Damn.

Darchinyan is amazing. Congrats to him.

cthoaa

Margarito's hearing before the California State Athletic Commission is today. He's represented by Daniel Petrocelli who is consistently referred to as "a big-time lawyer" by various sites.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/02/state-asks-for.html
The state attorney general started the disciplinary hearing of Antonio Margarito on Tuesday with a stunning pronouncement that the former welterweight champion should receive "the harshest penalty possible," including a license revocation that would leave him out of fighting for at least one year because of his pre-fight hand wraps containing a foreign substance before his Jan. 24 fight against Shane Mosley.

Margarito's attorney argued that his fighter had "an unblemished record and was entirely unaware of any irregularity."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/02/inspector-marga.html
The state inspector who supervised Antonio Margarito's hand wrapping Jan. 24 at the Staples Center testified this morning that Margarito was found to have a suspect bandage wrap inside a knuckle pad that was to be placed atop both his fists before a title fight against Shane Mosley.

Inspector Che Guevara testified that in three years and 150 hand wraps he had never seen such a pad.

"It was sweat-soaked, thinner and harder in certain areas, not hard as a rock, but firm and hard," Guevara said, adding it had a stain "like old blood" on it. "It was not flexible. It was very firm."

The harder pad was first discovered, Guevara said, by Mosley's trainer Nazim Richardson, who oversaw the wrapping. Margarito's taped right hand was then unwrapped, where another harder insert was found. State commissioners felt the insert in a plastic bag today.

EDIT: Tony's trainer just admitted culpability. I remember that in the wake of Margarito-Mosley, Arum said he knew that Margarito was not guilty of anything. When asked about Capetillo, he didn't answer definitively.

Antonio Margarito's trainer takes blame for hand-wrapping scandal
Antonio Margarito's trainer, Javier Capetillo, has essentially fallen on the sword in the hand-wrapping scandal that is playing out during today's hearing in front of the California State Athletic Commission in Van Nuys.

Capetillo just told his attorney that he accidentally implanted inserts into the hand wraps of his boxer.

"I committed a big mistake," Capetillo said. "I don't want this young man [Margarito] to have problems. I'm here to cover any responsibility. I take full responsibility. I committed this innocent mistake."

Capetillo explained he accidentally pulled the insert from his training bag and placed it in Margarito's knuckle wraps on Jan. 24, just before Margarito's fight with Shane Mosley.

cthoaa

I didn't even notice that at first. :lol

Comments in other threads say that Inspectors Fidel Castro and Adolf Hitler testify later.

Firstly, got to express mixed feelings on Calzaghe retiring.

I'm glad in one way that he is getting out 'on top', but I wanted to see him take on Chad Dawson and win, or even better to give Hopkins a rematch and make it even more one-sided than the RJJ fight.

However, I've followed Joe since the Eubanks fight when he won the title (I was a HUGE Nigel Benn fan and wanted Joe to beat Eubanks by default :lol :lol )

His always humble and down-to-earth attitude won me over and I've supported him ever since. The only thing I'd have changed is he should have ditched Warren years earlier.

Cheers Joe!

Following JC's retirement it was nice to see both Chad Dawson and Jermain Taylor pay some respectful tributes to Calzaghe even though they were disappointed not to get a shot.
Unlike Carl Froch, whose bitter, sour grapes and constant bashing of Calzaghe is getting tiresome - Froch could have inherited a lot of Calzaghe's supporters and he is botching it up.

Secondly, it's looking like Froch vs Taylor is close to being agreed.

Thirdly, I hope against hope that Margarito is cleared guilt of any impropriety but it's not looking good.

TheCardPlayer

Froch is a moron and a pretty much garbage fighter. I hope Jermain knocks the shit out of him. And I think that Chad Dawson's got the tools and skills to be the man to beat for years to come. He's already underrated by some.

I was rooting for Tarver in their fight because I am a Tarver fan (I know :lol ) but for the rematch I am all for Chad.

And Margarito and me are fucking done professionally. :lol But seriously I had respect for the man but I lost all of it. Give Cotto back his 0.

cthoaa

Licenses for both Margarito and his trainer have been revoked; Margarito is gone for at least a year.

Margarito's trainer Javier Capetillo has license revoked
Antonio Margarito loses California boxing license

EDIT: Primer Impacto's television report on today's hearing. I can make out every third or fourth word which doesn't do much. It sounds like it's an early report which came before the sentences were handed down by the commission. The auto playlist has a quick interview with Arce immediately after. I think he's on the way to the hospital.

2laeuxz.jpg

Antonio Margarito negó grave acusación (Univision)

EDIT 2: ESPN's coverage. The panel voted 7-0 against both defendants. Arum is angry, but thinks he can put together a comeback fight for him in Mexico. Various Mexican officials have already made contact, including the the mayor of Tijuana. Mosley thought the sentence was harsh and that Marg should not have been punished, only Capetillo.

And Margarito and me are fucking done professionally. But seriously I had respect for the man but I lost all of it.

+1.

Yeah bad shit there with Margarito.

It really calls into questions the Cotto fight and many other question marks will be placed against hime now.

Bad stuff.

In what must be a turn of serious irony, Nate Campbell has been stripped of his titles after failing to make weight against Ali Funeka

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=18767&more=1

Nate Campbell lost his three lightweight titles on the scales Friday when he failed to make weight for his fight with Ali Funeka. Campbell originally weighed in 3 lbs. over at 138, then returned only losing half a pound...As a result, Campbell has been stripped of his International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Organization titles. Campbell also lost his World Boxing Association title, but that belt was not on the line for Saturday night's fight.

After Nate ripping in to Guzman for failing to make the weight in their previous fight this looks really bad for Campbell :lol

Also, in a stink of corruption, the WBC and Bob Arum both made statements on the innocence of Margarito, citing that the fighter is not responsible:-

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=18751&more=1

Arum:-
The commission punishment is based on the theory that the boxer is the captain of his team and is responsible for any wrongdoing of his trainer or any of his cornermen.

This is not the law.

When Roger Mayweather, trainer for Floyd Mayweather, entered the ring improperly during the Mayweather vs. Judah fight, Roger was punished but the Nevada commission quite properly never suggested that Floyd be punished.
:lol :lol :lol

Whilst there may well be precedent for this kind of ruling, to suggest that Margarito was not aware that something illegal was in his wraps is pretty laughable IMHO.

cthoaa

Campbell really messed up, but he's left himself a bit of wiggle room as he's still able to fight. He was okay with fighting an overweight Guzman back then because he really needed the money; the real beef was because Guzman hemmed and hawed and pulled out in the final hours, which left Nate out a USD 300,000 payday and into bankruptcy.

He's definitely catching a huge break here as Funeka's team agreed to go on with the fight (they could have tried to lift the titles off an alternate) and they aren't asking for any of his purse.

gollumsluvslave said:
Whilst there may well be precedent for this kind of ruling, to suggest that Margarito was not aware that something illegal was in his wraps is pretty laughable IMHO.
Totally agree, but geez... it really sounds like everything's lining up for him to get through all of this. Couple fights in Mexico over the next year, maybe one in Nevada if they decide to ignore the CSAC ruling, eventual reinstatement, and bam! Like nothing ever happened...

Other notable fights today:
@ BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, FL USA
A.Angulo (14-0-0, 11 KOs) vs C.Rivera (31-11-2, 21 KOs)
S.Martinez (44-1-1, 24 KOs) vs K.Cintron (30-2-0, 27 KOs) - interim WBC light middleweight title

@ Hotel De France in Jersey, Channel Islands UK
C.Woods (41-4-1, 24 KOs) vs E.Muriqi (35-4-0, 22 KOs)

DKP's "Valentine's Day Massacre" has suffered major setbacks including the Campbell weight fiasco, but it still looks to be a good show. The original main event, Angulo-Mayorga, was scrapped when Mayorga pulled out. (King says it was money issues; Mayorga says injuries sustained from the Mosley fight left him unable to train properly.) Danny Perez was originally a possible replacement, but later Cosme Rivera was officially named with the new matchup relegated to the undercard.

The other fight of the HBO-televised triple-header, Sergio Martinez-Kermit Cintron, is for an interim light middleweight title. There's three losses between the two of them, all by KO to... Margarito. Cintron has a great knockout ratio, but Martinez is as slick as anything and hasn't lost in nine years. He's also been at the weight for a while now; Cintron's coming up.

The Woods-Muriqi fight on Fight Academy's own "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" card is an IBF light-heavy eliminator. (Dawson is current champ.) Woods is looking to rebound after his one-sided loss to Tarver in April but has said he'd quit if he loses. Muriqi has been a bit more inactive and this is his first fight in over a year.

Was this on HBO? Im asking because I would like to watch the replay next saturday. Actually they might only do that for PPV fights I dunno.

What I wonder is why the guy was standing there overseeing his hand wrapping, and said he saw the inserts, and did nothing? That's the way they make it sound like. Did they go on with his hands wrapped like that or what? It makes no sense if they said he used loaded gloves in the fight, when they oversaw it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I saw Funeka win that last fight, by a mere point. I do feel that last knockdown ruined his chances. Man, seeing him cry like that kinda got to me. He's a good fighter but his chin is crystal-like.

Quazar

Relix said:
I saw Funeka win that last fight, by a mere point. I do feel that last knockdown ruined his chances. Man, seeing him cry like that kinda got to me. He's a good fighter but his chin is crystal-like.

I had Fumeka ahead by one point as well. Very hard fight to judge.

Cintron did lose that fight. What a shame.

Go Angulo!

cthoaa

Speaking of being done with someone professionally, Kermit Cintron and I are through!

Bad enough that he got a gift by way of draw, but then he had to act disappointed and angry that he didn't win outright. He was crying (again!) after getting stopped in whatever round that was.

Spider Silva said:
What I wonder is why the guy was standing there overseeing his hand wrapping, and said he saw the inserts, and did nothing? That's the way they make it sound like. Did they go on with his hands wrapped like that or what? It makes no sense if they said he used loaded gloves in the fight, when they oversaw it.
The illegal pads were removed before the fight, but only because Mosley's trainer initially inquired. If there was no objection from Mosley's camp, it seems like those particular pads would have stayed: the first hand had already been wrapped and sounds like it was alright with everyone (including the opposing trainer).

When everyone describes what fell out of the first wrap - "bloody", "old", "never seen anything like it" - it makes it sound like they never actually got (or cared to take) a good look in the first place.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Quazar said:
So do we know for sure yet whether the boxing commission stopped the Angulo fight, or if it was proper procedure ?

The referee should have stopped it the moment Rivera's head went flying around

cthoaa

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

The lightweight division was cleared out at the top. Nate Campbell, the former #1, was removed from the chart after missing the lightweight limit for his fight against Ali Funeka. Manny Pacquiao, last week's #2, was also removed from the chart as his light-welterweight fight against Ricky Hatton draws near. Everyone moved up, including Funeka, who lost by majority decision. Juan Diaz is the new #1; Breidis Prescott and Anthony Peterson re-enter the lightweight chart at #9 and #10, respectively.

Ring Magazine's Lightweight Ratings as of Feb. 15

C. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX 49-4-1 (36)
1. Juan Diaz USA 34-1-0 (17)
2. Joel Casamayor CUB 36-4-1 (22)
3. David Diaz USA 34-2-1 (17)
4. Julio Diaz USA 36-4-0 (26)
5. Anthony Pitalua MEX 46-3-0 (40)
6. Ali Funeka RSA 30-1-2 (25)
7. Michael Katsidis AUS 24-2-0 (20)
8. Yuri Romanov BLR 21-2-0 (14)
9. Breidis Prescott COL 20-0-0 (18)
10. Anthony Peterson USA 28-0-0 (19)

Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound Ratings as of Feb. 15

1. Manny Pacquiao PHI 48-3-2 (37)
2. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX 49-4-1 (36)
3. Bernard Hopkins USA 49-5-1 (32)
4. Israel Vazquez MEX 43-4-0 (31)
5. Shane Mosley USA 46-5-0 (39)
6. Rafael Marquez MEX 37-5-0 (33)
7. Ivan Calderon PUR 32-0-0 (6)
8. Ricky Hatton GBR 45-1-0 (32)
9. Celestino Caballero PAN 31-2-0 (22)
10. Vic Darchinyan ARM 32-1-1 (26)

After Campbell was stripped of his titles, Frank Warren began lobbying for the Amir Khan-Marco Antonio Barrera matchup to be a world title fight for the WBO's lightweight championship. It almost certainly won't be as the WBO is expected to sanction the Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Juan Diaz bout and name the winner of that fight as lightweight champion.

Khan-MAB as a world title fight sounds a little off until you look at the WBO's most recent lightweight rankings which have Barrera as the #1 lightweight, this despite only having two wins at the weight class: a 4th round TKO victory over the 25-19 Sammy Ventura and a DQ win over 1-7-1 Freddie Rojas. (Khan is #10; JMM and J.Diaz are #2 and #3.)

After February 28, the WBO's lightweight title will be with the division's linear champion. Khan-MAB is instead an eliminator bout and the winner will be installed as mandatory to the new champion.

World Boxing Organization Lightweight Rankings, February 2009

C. Nate Campbell USA
1. Marco Antonio Barrera MEX
2. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX
3. Juan Diaz USA
4. Michael Katsidis (Int-Cont)
5. Antonio DeMarco (NABO)
6. Anthony Peterson USA
7. Ali Funeka RSA
8. Breidis Prescott COL
9. Joan Guzman DM
10. Amir Khan GB
11. Alex Arthur GB
12. Jorge Barrios ARG
13. Vicente Escobedo USA
14. Yodsanan Sor Nanthachai THAI
15. Daniel E. Brizuela (Latino) ARG
**. Jason Pagara (Asia-Pacific Youth) PHI

Prescott is featured tonight on FNF. Gamboa, too.

cthoaa

EDIT:
fk9z0z.jpg
2d2aj2h.jpg

Ouch! (ESPN)

Holy Toledo! Another bite!

The two Cuban prospects got their first round KOs. Prescott put in decent work but was so sloppy at points. The fight was very dirty inside with headbutts and hitting while holding and the ref did little to clean it up, but the bite from Toledo really came out of nowhere as the fight seemed to be heading towards garbage time.

In the later rounds when it was clear that Prescott wouldn't stop his opponent (Atlas cursed him by saying there would be a knockout), I was thinking that he missed a chance to showcase himself on US television and follow up on his big win vs Khan. He'll be on Sportscenter later but not in the most magnanimous light.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Watching undercard fights. Man the current one sucks BAAD. It's like Care Bears on the ring.
EDIT: HOLY SHIT AT THAT ENDING :lol :lol

Quazar

So pretty interesting night in boxing on espn/showtime. Adamek and Banks fight started off rather slow. Felt like I was waiting for the inevitable, Adamek KO. Banks had a couple flush shots in the fight but seemed to be broken down by a couple rounds of body punches by Adamek. He just couldn't follow up with his shots and when he tried he got knocked the hell out.

Miranda really didn't have anything to go on against Lorenzo. Was very much like the main bout. lol

Glen Johnson took Judah out of rhythm before he even found it. Was great to watch. Anyone else tired of seeing Judahs family fight?

So Lorenzo and Abraham? Interesting.

And what's this about Adamek and Hopkins? And it's Hopkins wanting the fight? heh

Top Bottom