• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

ZURICH, Switzerland -- Nikolai Valuev ended any hope of Evander Holyfield winning a fifth heavyweight title, narrowly defending his WBA title by majority decision on Saturday night.

The 46-year-old American, attempting to become the oldest heavyweight to win a major belt, started the fight by moving around the ring to neutralize Valuev's long reach advantage.

The 7-foot Russian, the tallest and heaviest champion ever, struggled to close down Holyfield early but began asserting his jab as Holyfield tired.

One judged scored the bout a draw, while the others had Valuev winning 116-112 and 115-114.

"Of course I am disappointed," Holyfield said. "I thought I had done enough to get the win. Now I have to go home and think about my future."

Holyfield (42-10-2) had not fought since losing a one-sided decision to then-WBO champion Sultan Ibragimov over a year ago, and was much criticized for this latest comeback attempt. Some critics suggested he was putting his health at risk by fighting at such an advanced age.

Still, the "Real Deal" appeared in great shape for the fight and was never seriously hurt by Valuev (51-1), who has avoided the top heavyweights and did little to improve his standing in the division. He was vulnerable to Holyfield's right hooks, many of which landed, even if the Russian also was never stunned.

Holyfield has refused to say if he would retire should he lose or draw against Valuev, who was the overwhelming favorite. Struggling with financial problems, Holyfield may try to use the better-than-expected result to score a big payday against another champion or Riddick Bowe, who has recently made a similarly worrisome comeback.

What a farce! Holyfield got robbed, Valuev was a joke. I can only hope that people stop paying for this bullshit before its too late. With decisions like this boxing continues to fade into irrelevance.

Damn, guessing I missed the first fight, turned it there around quarter till 9, thought it would be on if it was on this week at 8 something and then turned it away. Didn't turn it on until before this Solis-Burnett fight, hope I didn't miss anything special in the first fight. Both Solis and Burnett look a little overweight in this fight. Atlas mentioned one of these guys took the fight on in "one and a half weeks notice" as per usual for Friday Night Fights. Solis is an Olympic gold medalist, so should be the favorite. Hopkins is in the studio. I love me some FNF. :D

Wow. A rare stoppage when the guy is still on his feet. I can't blame the ref for safety there in Rd 8 stopping it, Burnett was out on his feet. Never good when a manager says to the commentators between the rounds that he'll stop if it if goes on much longer. In a PPV match though, that would have been let go until he went down.

Also, LOL, at the "titles" announced in the fight. Solis was the "WBC International champion" or something, and won the WBA "something something" champion from this guy. Man, WAYY too many odd, weird, irrelevant titles in boxing today.

Khan to face Barrera

Amir Khan will meet seven-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera on 14 March at Manchester's MEN Arena.

The 34-year-old Mexican is a former champion at three weights and has won 64 of his 71 fights.

"I was a fan and I am a fan - but when you're in the ring, you have no respect for any of your opponents, you go in and do a job," Khan told BBC Sport.

"I think I've got everything to beat him. With my youth and speed, I think I'll just outbox him."

Also on the bill, Nicky Cook defends his WBO super-featherweight title against unbeaten Puerto Rican Roman Martinez, who is the mandatory challenger, while Enzo Maccarinelli is expected to fight for the vacant WBO cruiserweight title.

Squaring up to Barrera is undoubtedly the biggest test that Khan, 22, has faced so far in his career.

"I think he's made for me," added Khan. "He's shorter than me, and has moved up quickly to lightweight."

Last time out in December, Khan beat Irishman Oisin Fagan in his first bout since suffering the first loss of his career against Breidis Prescott last September.

The Olympic lightweight silver medallist split from trainer Jorge Rubio after that defeat and is now guided by Freddie Roach.

Barrera, who inflicted Prince Naseem Hamed's first career defeat back in 2001, won his first world title in 1995, and has faced the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez and Erik Morales.

Khan said he would seek Hamed's advice and learn from the former world champion's mistakes.

"I'm sure Naseem knows what mistakes he made and will tell me the mistakes that he doesn't want me to make," he said.

"Nas is a great guy so I'll have a chat with him and see what he thinks."

Warren said he had initially been looking to match Barrera with another of his fighters, and admitted it was a bit of a gamble.

"A lot of people might look at this and think 'he's in the deep end here' - maybe, but I believe with good punchers in the ring it's all about timing, and outside the ring it's about picking the right moment and right time - I hope I've got it right," he told BBC Sport.

"I don't worry about his fitness or punching power, all I wonder about is Amir staying focused and his head movement.

"Provided he does that, I think Amir can give a great display and beat Barrera."

Anyone have any opinions on this? Most of the people I've talked to think that Barrera will give him a schooling.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The Collazo vs. Berto fight was intense as hell, though IMO Collazo was winning. His punches sounded weak thought. Good fight really.

Quazar

Relix said:
The Collazo vs. Berto fight was intense as hell, though IMO Collazo was winning. His punches sounded weak thought. Good fight really.

Kept track of score in my head and I had it even. Great great fight though. 116 111 :lol

Can't wait for next week.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
116-111 was definitely bullshit, the other scores were right on 114-113... Berto won most of the 2nd half and definitely the final round to win this fight... but OMG what the hell was that an awesome fight.

Berto made the fight harder by allowing Luis to have some rounds where they fought completely inside... that's not Berto's fight... Anytime he was able to keep a majority of the round at distance, he won many of the rounds IMO.

Wow, honestly, I was shocked. I didn't see Berto winning this fight at all. Great fight either way. Oh, I don't think Berto like the pressure either.

DarienA

dead christmas said:
Wow, honestly, I was shocked. I didn't see Berto winning this fight at all. Great fight either way. Oh, I don't think Berto like the pressure either.

Nope he doesn't know how to infight well and its crazy as good an uppercut he has, his team HAS to get on teaching him how to sway and slide on the inside... he's got the power to be a damn good inside fighter and that the biggest hole in his game right now.

cthoaa

Hatton, Pacquiao headed for May 2 bout

LOS ANGELES -- In a dramatic reversal of his position, pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao on Thursday night agreed to terms to face junior welterweight champion Ricky Hatton, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com.

A day after the fight supposedly dissolved because Pacquiao had not signed the contract for the May 2 super fight by Hatton's prescribed deadline -- causing Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer to declare the fight dead and to cancel a media tour planned for next week -- Pacquiao had a change of heart, Arum said.

The fight would take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"Manny has assured me that he has signed the contract and was going to announce it to the Filipino press," Arum said.
Nothing is certain until stuff is signed but it seems the purse split is final.

Negotiations for this fight have been very public and difficult as the fight was declared dead by both sides on Wednesday. Bob Arum's thoughts in a recent LA Times article:
"It's cultural," he said. "And part of this was my fault. I did not tell the Hatton people that you do not give a deadline to a Filipino. When World War II ended, and everybody said it had ended, the Filipinos kept fighting for three more years.

"We have the points. It's a 52-48 split [on the revenue favoring Pacquiao]. It's not that. It's not money.

"It's about respect, or lack of that. Pacquiao's people thought that setting a deadline meant lack of respect. I didn't tell Hatton's people that, and that's my fault." (Hatton is handled by Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.)

"We do business in the States differently," Arum said. "We yell and holler at each other and then get a deal. For us, it's all about the Benjamins [hundred-dollar bills]. It's different for them, and the deadline disrespected them."

SUPREME1

Banned
cthoaa said:
Nothing is certain until stuff is signed but it seems the purse split is final.

Negotiations for this fight have been very public and difficult as the fight was declared dead by both sides on Wednesday. Bob Arum's thoughts in a recent LA Times article:

Bullshit.

It's about the money.

I'm surprised Pac-man is not getting a bigger cut... He's the real draw.

DarienA

ImperialConquest said:
Bullshit.

It's about the money.

I'm surprised Pac-man is not getting a bigger cut... He's the real draw.

Exactly and PacMan deserves more than he's getting. As long as he trains as well as he usually does this fight should be pretty easy for him. As easy as De La Hoya? Maybe... but in a different way.

cthoaa

2qweszr.jpg

Mosley makes weight (ESPN)

Official weights for tonight's welterweight title fight: Margarito 145, Mosley 147. Mosley was a few ounces over and had an hour to re-weigh, but he came back and made the welterweight limit within minutes.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Bauer Action Hour said:
Shocking performance. I guess Margo does have a mortal's chin.

I wanna see Shane vs Cotto 2.

Yup me too. Cotto beats Mosely then loses to Margarito. Mosley then destroys Margarito. This is the awesomeness of boxing. :D Once Cotto gets past the turd he is matched up with I hope this gets done.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I arrived just in time, thanks to the magic of internet streaming, after the concert was over... AND I SAW THAT BRUTAL KNOCKOUT FROM MOSLEY!!! I set the DVR to record the fight so I am gonna watch that, but god, fucking, dammit.... Margarito got rocked. The dude is mortal!!! Also, Letterman said something interesting: Margarito was using a hard plastic piece under his wraps, which was detected by Mosley's corner. Letterman also suggests he could have done something like this against Cotto, and is the reason Margarito lacked any real strength this fight! What would this mean for the future of Margarito?

Interesting. I am gonna sit down and watch this shit NOW.

puebla

wow, dissappointing to see Marg using illegal handwraps, makes his win against Cotto look bad. props to shane, he whooped that ass.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I am very surprised at this result. And dissapointed in Margo if he cheated...against Cotto. Mosley is a cheat himself :lol .

Too bad I only caught the beginning and the KO.

Quazar

I fucking knew it. Domination by Shane. I told friends/family don't count him out. Though I admit even I couldn't predict the domination Mosley dished out. Wish I placed a bet.

DarienA

MASSIVELY impressive win for Shane tonight... a stoppage of Margarito? Incredible! Shane controlled that fight from start to finish, I had him winning every round.... used his jab, threw combinations, did body work, tied Margarito up on the inside, even had Margarito backing up... and just landed hellacious shots.

Damn impressive.

Margarito's punch count never picked up, he look frustrated and tired early, and he was never very aggressive, as a always go forward fighter, Shane just controlled him.

Pre-Fight if he won Shane said he'd like Cotto or Berto next... I love Berto.... but Berto ain't ready for the Mosley, not the way he fought tonight, just based on inside work Mosley would take Berto apart.

harSon

Banned
Amazing fight. Shane's always been a favorite of mine, glad to see him back on top. Margarito got rocked but cheating aside, I've got to give the man some props, the amount of clean power shots he was able to take without dropping was incredible.

Quazar

Relix said:
I arrived just in time, thanks to the magic of internet streaming, after the concert was over... AND I SAW THAT BRUTAL KNOCKOUT FROM MOSLEY!!! I set the DVR to record the fight so I am gonna watch that, but god, fucking, dammit.... Margarito got rocked. The dude is mortal!!! Also, Letterman said something interesting: Margarito was using a hard plastic piece under his wraps, which was detected by Mosley's corner. Letterman also suggests he could have done something like this against Cotto, and is the reason Margarito lacked any real strength this fight! What would this mean for the future of Margarito?

Interesting. I am gonna sit down and watch this shit NOW.

One interesting thing to point out is Margarito has an amazing chin. Though that doesn't excuse the possible cheating against Cotto.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Quazar said:
One interesting thing to point out is Margarito has an amazing chin. Though that doesn't excuse the possible cheating against Cotto.

Of course I can't take that from him. Hitting that guy must be like hitting a rock. I could see anyone frustrated, but Mosley was obviously cool. He knew his plan was working. Margo did look a lot weaker this fight though (punching power).

Quazar

Relix said:
Of course I can't take that from him. Hitting that guy must be like hitting a rock. I could see anyone frustrated, but Mosley was obviously cool. He knew his plan was working. Margo did look a lot weaker this fight though (punching power).

Very much so. Mosley was just beating him to the punch. But god damn Mosley had so much power behind the speed. That is what I couldn't predict.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Quazar said:
Very much so. Mosley was just beating him to the punch. But god damn Mosley had so much power behind the speed. That is what I couldn't predict.

He just studied Margo so hard he knew where to hit and evade at the correct spot. Impressive stuff.

DarienA

Quazar said:

Yeah the hand speed was apparent right from the first round, he through this combination that ended in a hellacious right to the head and there was another that ended with a similar shot to the body.

Damn.

Quazar

DarienA said:
Yeah the hand speed was apparent right from the first round, he through this combination that ended in a hellacious right to the head and there was another that ended with a similar shot to the body.

Damn.

As you bring up, the body work Shane did was great. That was one main thing people rarely bothered with Margarito.

As for HBO, I'm happy to see another Kirkland fight lined up. He's so exciting despite his apparent flaws.

Kingpen

Awesome for Sugar tonight. I was pulling for him for sure, as I just don't really like Margarito to begin with (he dismantled one of my favs)....

I would like to see Shane not go for the money and go to swipe one of the other belts from Berto or Clottey.

But at this stage of Shane's career, I would not be surprised in the least bit to see a big money fight happen with him and Cotto, or maybe even round 3 with De La Hoya. The rematch with Cotto makes the most sense.

After tonights win, I know for sure there is no way Money May comes out of retirement to face that cyborg that was in the ring tonight.

Mosley & Pac-Man would be amazing, but it won't happen.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Marg looked like he hasn't recovered from that Cotto fight. He had NOTHING for Mosley.

Cotto vs Mosley plz.

Wow!

Sugar Shane really rolled it back!

Thoroughly dominated Maragrito!

I wonder whether AM can come back after that, especially now with the ugly rumours concerning his hand-wrapping.

Top Bottom