• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
cthoaa said:
21mvr83.jpg

Caballero unifies 122lb titles (YouTube)

Fight particulars, an interview with the winner, and replays of the finish of last night's super bantamweight unification bout between Celestino Caballero and Steve Molitor. Caballero takes Molitor's IBF belt to go along with his own WBA title. Very one-sided fight; very disappointing from Molitor.

Great win for Caballero but once he steps up he will get KOed. He doesnt stand a chance against Lopez, Vazquez's of the division. How good was Molitor suppose to be? Was he suppose to be the favorite going into the fight?

Anyone catching the Hatton-Malinaggi fight?

gollumsluvslave said:
Ninja Scooter

Calzaghe was actually letting Jones off the hook. He could have pressed it and got the fight stopped easiliy.

then finish it. Dancing around because a guy with one eye can't hit you while you have that douchy grin on your face doesn't impress anyone.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Terrific card tonight. Can't wait to see my man Hatton tonight against Malignaggi and of course the future of American boxing in Kirkland against Vera.

cthoaa

SSGMUN10000 said:
Great win for Caballero but once he steps up he will get KOed. He doesnt stand a chance against Lopez, Vazquez's of the division. How good was Molitor suppose to be? Was he suppose to be the favorite going into the fight?

Anyone catching the Hatton-Malinaggi fight?
Molitor was a favorite at -140, -150ish. It was supposed to be a classic matchup because of Molitor's superior skills vs. Caballero's physical attributes.

I definitely agree about Caballero's prospects vs. Lopez and Vasquez, but while he's not exactly mini-Tommy Hearns, his height and awkwardness pose at least some challenge. He does have a win over DPDL to his credit and can get that fight again if the other two aren't free.

I'll be watching tonight. Hatton should take care of business, but I'll root for Malignaggi as long as he's in there. I'm interesting in seeing any changes to Ricky's boxing that have come from working with Mayweather Sr. and want to see what it's like in their corner. I still think it's a bad fit, but obviously the only thing that matters is what happens in the ring.

ggnoobIGN said:
Terrific card tonight. Can't wait to see my man Hatton tonight against Malignaggi and of course the future of American boxing in Kirkland against Vera.
After his win over Andy Lee, Vera could have gone to Ireland and headlined in a rematch. Instead, his management chose this? All credit to them if he wins, but this is a harder upset to pull and I can't imagine the payoff being much bigger, if at all.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Easy fight for Hatton so far. It's pretty lopsided.

edit. Fight is over, TKO for Hatton. Great win.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well that was an easy fight for Hatton. Surprising that it was Paulie doing most of the holding/wrestling. Hatton did look a bit better and did some different things. Of course it will take more time training with Mayweather to see what he is capable of. I one would prefer a Hatton-Pacquiao than the DLH one...win or lose for Pacman I hope this happens.

cthoaa

I can understand how it's better too early than too late, but I still hate McGirt stopping it at that point. Regardless, good stuff from Hatton throughout.

No problems with the Kirkland-Vera stoppage, though. That's quite a chin Vera's got, but it was getting hard to watch towards the end.

SSGMUN10000 said:
Well that was an easy fight for Hatton. Surprising that it was Paulie doing most of the holding/wrestling.
Yup, quite the role reversal with Paulie doing the roughhousing (or at least trying to) and Hatton boxing well from the outside at points. Much of Hatton's work in close quarters was the same, but he was getting in easily, feinting his way forwards and setting up his punches while avoiding Malignaggi's occasional jab with head movement. After the second round, the fight was pretty much a showcase as Paulie couldn't move away from Ricky, nor did he have any firepower to keep Hatton off of him.

cthoaa

20hv91l.jpg

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Ricky Hatton retained the Ring Magazine junior welterweight belt after a TKO victory over #1 contender Paulie Malignaggi. Malignaggi was dropped to fourth in the division; Tim Bradley is the new #1 contender.

In the pound-for-pound chart, Ricky Hatton re-entered at #10, replacing Paul Williams.

Ring Magazine's Junior Welterweight Ratings for period ending Nov. 24

C. Ricky Hatton GBR 45-1-0 (32)
1. Timothy Bradley USA 23-0-0 (11)
2. Junior Witter GBR 37-2-2 (22)
3. Andreas Kotelnik UKR 30-2-1 (13)
4. Paul Malignaggi USA 25-2-0 (5)
5. Herman Ngoudjo CAM 17-2-0 (9)
6. Kendall Holt USA 24-2-0 (13)
7. Ricardo Torres COL 32-2-0 (28)
8. Juan Urango COL 46-10-1 (31)
9. Marcos Maidana ARG 25-0-0 (24)
10. Juan Lazcano MEX 37-5-1 (27)

Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending Nov. 24

1. Manny Pacquiao PHI 47-3-2 (36)
2. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX 49-4-1 (36)
3. Joe Calzaghe GBR 46-0-0 (32)
4. Bernard Hopkins USA 49-5-1 (32)
5. Israel Vazquez MEX 43-4-0 (31)
6. Antonio Margarito MEX 37-5-0 (27)
7. Rafael Marquez MEX 37-5-0 (33)
8. Miguel Cotto PUR 32-1-0 (26)
9. Ivan Calderon PUR 32-0-0 (6)
10. Ricky Hatton GBR 45-1-0 (32)

Williams, fighting for the fourth time this year and in a third division, goes against Verno Phillips for a vacant 154-pound title this Saturday.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SSGMUN10000 said:
Well that was an easy fight for Hatton. Surprising that it was Paulie doing most of the holding/wrestling. Hatton did look a bit better and did some different things. Of course it will take more time training with Mayweather to see what he is capable of. I one would prefer a Hatton-Pacquiao than the DLH one...win or lose for Pacman I hope this happens.
Pacman has said that after the DLH fight he wants to get back down in weight with the hopes of fighting Hatton.

cthoaa

Some of the overseas fights before the card in Vegas gets underway:

2lafwxv.jpg

C.Froch (23-0-0, 19 KOs) vs. J.Pascal (21-0-0, 14 KOs) - vacant WBC super middleweight title

The first world title bout for either undefeated fighter. I haven't seen much of Carl Froch, but Jean Pascal showed himself to be pretty fragile in his US debut earlier in the year. Jermain Taylor is expected to be the first defense for the new champion as he originally passed on a chance to fight Froch for the vacant belt.

2lw1wts.jpg

A.Khan (18-1-0, 14 KOs) vs. O.Fagan (22-5-0, 13 KOs) - vacant WBA international lightweight title
E.Maccarinelli (28-2-0, 21 KOs) vs. M.Ellis (20-5-1, 9 KOs)

I think that Maccarinelli-Banks could have been the main event had that fight held up. Instead, Banks pulled out with an injury and a chance for Enzo to regain the WBO cruiserwieght title ended when current champ Francisco Alvarez had problems at the scale and then couldn't pass a physical. Maccarinelli is left to fight a domestic heavyweight in Matthew Ellis.

Khan's first fight back will be without new trainer Freddie Roach, who is cornering Pacquiao in Vegas. Dean Powell, SN's matchmaker and Khan's first temp trainer after splitting with Harrison, will again assume cornering duties with some people from Roach's Wild Card Gym as seconds. Khan was slightly over at yesterday's weigh-in, but stripped and made weight.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Alright folks lets see your predictions for the Oscar/Manny fight tonight... is Oscar just too big /too strong for Manny? Or is the speed and power we've seen in Manny's recent fights going to be too much for Oscar?

I'll be rooting for Manny, but I'm not 100% certain he can do it...

smurfx

get some go again
DarienA said:
Alright folks lets see your predictions for the Oscar/Manny fight tonight... is Oscar just too big /too strong for Manny? Or is the speed and power we've seen in Manny's recent fights going to be too much for Oscar?

I'll be rooting for Manny, but I'm not 100% certain he can do it...
well if manny wins it's going to be by decision and nothing else. will manny be able to out punch de la hoya not get hit with a big punch by de la hoya? i'm taking oscar in this fight but only because he is the bigger man.

i think Manny will blow his load in the first few rounds trying to KO oscar. Oscar will then play prevent for the last half of the fight, leading to a decision.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ninja Scooter said:
i think Manny will blow his load in the first few rounds trying to KO oscar. Oscar will then play prevent for the last half of the fight, leading to a decision.

Manny's alot smarter than that. I can't see that happening.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else watching the Froch Pascal fight, it's starting to get ugly xD

Wow, the Froch Pascal fight was a great tear-up.

Impressed with Froch's ability to take a punch, but he is extremely sloppy. He could have made it much easier by working the jab a lot more.

cvxfreak

Just a few hours until PacMan vs DLH. My seat's in the M section, which isn't that close but still yields a good view! :D

Gah.... im gonna miss the fight tonight but i will be dvr'ing it, I really hope the golden boy gets it done. Anyways enjoy the fight guys.

:lol DLH is getting clowned. Don't know if Pac has the power to knock him out but he's just peppering the shit out of Oscar. The announcer was right that last round got embarassing.

Top Bottom