• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

jchap

Jennings is comming on. He is really raw... but you can see he has some instinctive skills.

I guess it helped that Perez was gassed after 6 or so.

I like Jennings a lot, but he didn't look great. Perez was gassed as hell and did nothing but hold for 6 rounds and Jennings still could barely handle him.

The ref took a point for whatever that was but let Perez do more holding than Andre Ward and John Ruiz combined, wtf.

jchap

That knockout was awesome. Getting punched in the face during the punch that ended it. If he hadn't been hit that punch might have taken Geale's head off.

Jennings is a good fighter, but was incredibly underwhelming tonight. I'd rather see him fight for a title than Perez however.

I wish GGG could get an opponent worth getting excited about.

Acording to Chavez Sr. the next opponent for Chavez Jr. is Cotto, they are meeting with Arum tomorrow, Chavez will meltdown to 160 lbs, the fight will take place in September.

Wall

In his prime, Cotto fought at Jr. Welter and Welter. GGG is natural middleweight, and he can conceivably move up to Super-Middle.

Cotto is defensively responsible, but he's no Mayweather ............... and GGG is a murderous puncher with vastly underrated technical skills and a granite chin.

I wouldn't wish GGG on Cotto - no need to go out like that.

abuC

The way Cotto has fought under Freddie Roach? Idk, GGG beating him is certainly not a given at all. Also, Cotto stands to make more money with a fight against Canelo, hell even Chavez would draw more $$$ than Golovkin.

Sorry man, Cotto gets put to sleep within 6, natural middleweight with vicious punching power vs a welterweight fighting @ middleweight.

Tom_Cody

The frustrating thing is that Cotto has a claim to the lineal title at 160 owing to his victory over Serio Martinez, and yet GGG would be the clear favorite if they fought.

It's always a shame when a title vaporizes when the champion loses and the guy who beats him either retires or moves out of the weight class. If I were Cotto, I wouldn't face Golovkin either, but this situation is robbing GGG of his ability to ascend to super-stardom.

Oh well, I just hope Cotto and Alvarez win this fall and that superfight can take place next year.

As far as GGG, a fight with Sam Soliman makes sense since Solomon beat Sturm and he now has a title belt. GGG can continue to increase his profile with performances like the one he put on last night.

Turin

Banned
I love the fight but I also think Bernard's chances were more secure if he fought Stevenson. Kovalev is a dangerous dude.

I might still give Bernard a slight edge but this is a tough one to call.

The great thing about this is that Stevenson ducked Kovalev and went to Showtime to fight Hopkins. Now Bernard is back on HBO fighting Kovalev and Stevenson is left out to dry.

I love that as well. Screw that guy.

Still want to see Bernard, Kovalev or Ward beat him up though.

studyguy

YO HE MIGHT HAVE HAD PILLOW HANDS BUT 118? Vargas won, but not by that much . even commentators were like nope. lol also sup boxing GAF back from my ban last week.

Kovalev tried with that joke, that is what matters haha. I really want Hopkins to win that fight, history should be made.

Ooooo, this Rios Chaves fight has started off great

studyguy

Chaves is gonna burn out under those Rios bombs. Where was the warning btw I just saw a deduction and nothing else.

Ref like I done fucked up how do I even the scores.

studyguy

At this point the winner is going to be whoever doesn't lay out vic and get a DQ lol.

Thought Chaves wouldn't go the distance seems like he hasn't let up yet. Not super impressed with Rios' new corner tbh.

Wth is going on.

lol I just pictured Rios and Chaves double teaming the ref and throwing him out of the ring Royal Rumble style to the ovation of the crowd and continuing the fight without him.

Top Bottom