• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Amir Khan is, from a narrative and entertainment perspective, the best positioned to defeat Mayweather, but it would have to be Mayweather's last fight. Khan is the only one who has the profile to become a star that would pick up, although never at Floyd's level, where Floyd would leave. Floyd can't leave boxing without being defeated, it would be bad for the sport, but if he gets defeated by Khan people will have a new star to follow. Otherwise your average viewer will just see it as no one worth really following.

That being said I don't think he would beat Mayweather, but from an entertainment perspective it's the best that could happen. It's useful than a Pac/Floyd fight.

Pac will be one of his last fights, i still have a feeling it will happen somehow. Also this isn't wwe, Floyd wants to retire undefeated. For the sport, those people will like if he was defeated for reasons you mentioned but he wouldn't be worried about that. Plus we do have some potential stars. Canelo is still great, Bradley, Terence Crawford and Kell brook to name a few.

I have a weird feeling that Algeri is going to box Mannys ears off and ruin any talk of a Floyd fight.

Kahn isn't beating Floyd, but at least it would be something different. He has speed and boxing skills. Floyd UD12 regardless.

Tekniqs

Because its a fight, not a freaking marathon. He should've been fighting not running regardless of the round.

i do wish he could have pressed it a bit in the 12th but I'm not the one fighting. He was way ahead and knew it. Smart of him to take minimal risk at the end. Maidana had 11 other rounds to catch him with something...

TuXx

I have a weird feeling that Algeri is going to box Mannys ears off and ruin any talk of a Floyd fight.

Kahn isn't beating Floyd, but at least it would be something different. He has speed and boxing skills. Floyd UD12 regardless.

I was thinking this as well, but I'm not really sold on Algeri. He didn't really do a good job out boxing Provodnikov, in fact, I don't really believe he did enough to win the fight. If Algeri can't out box someone that's slow and flat-footed like Provodnikov, I don't really see him giving Manny any problems

BadAss2961

Algieri looked very promising in the Provodnikov fight, but I was shocked when he got the decision. SHOCKED. Only saw it live, but I really didn't think he won.

Algieri is tall and able. I could see him giving Manny some problems for awhile, but Manny will eventually break him down.

I think by the time we get a Paq/Mayweather fight it will be when nobody really wants it. Like Lewis/Tyson.

I was in Vegas this past weekend and I got to say there wasn't quite the same "buzz" around town as there was in previous Floyd fights. It will be interesting to see the PPV numbers. I'm sure Floyd is still raking in the bank, but I wonder if he and his team will feel the pressure to get a bigger name/better opponent for his next fight.

So he's supposed to mix it up in the last round, with a big lead, with a puncher who's only chance is to catch him and win by knockout. Smart plan.

That isn't my only gripe with the way he fights... i agree that there is room in boxing for counter-punchers, but this guy just hugs and hugs and hugs... i'm surprised he doesn't smooch while he's at it, and then he runs and runs and runs and would give Bolt a run for his money, this is a contact sport not an avoid contact sport. it'd be ok if he did those things occasionally, but he "fights" like that like 80% of the time.

I'm an amateur boxer, and if someone hugs they break you off and give you a warning not to do that, and running?, vato please... they'd (spectators) call you a bitch and boo you to hell and back. And after the bout is done you'd be nothing but a darn chicken. He can be evasive and counter-punch all he wants, but what show is there in watching him hug and run all night long?, is it commendable to run and hug all night long?, no... no it isn't.

Tekniqs

I think by the time we get a Paq/Mayweather fight it will be when nobody really wants it. Like Lewis/Tyson.

I was in Vegas this past weekend and I got to say there wasn't quite the same "buzz" around town as there was in previous Floyd fights. It will be interesting to see the PPV numbers. I'm sure Floyd is still raking in the bank, but I wonder if he and his team will feel the pressure to get a bigger name/better opponent for his next fight.

i said the same thing last Tuesday. It didn't feel like fight week.

Tekniqs

That isn't my only gripe with the way he fights... i agree that there is room in boxing for counter-punchers, but this guy just hugs and hugs and hugs... i'm surprised he doesn't smooch while he's at it, and then he runs and runs and runs and would give Bolt a run for his money, this is a contact sport not an avoid contact sport. it'd be ok if he did those things occasionally, but he "fights" like that like 80% of the time.

I'm an amateur boxer, and if someone hugs they break you off and give you a warning not to do that, and running?, vato please... they'd (spectators) call you a bitch and boo you to hell and back. And after the bout is done you'd be nothing but a darn chicken. He can be evasive and counter-punch all he wants, but what show is there in watching him hug and run all night long?, is it commendable to run and hug all night long?, no... no it isn't.

is this the only fight you've seen of him?

Tekniqs

Perhaps but all i remember is...

Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, this past saturday night... yes... with the ocasional punch thrown out.

Oh i thought you meant in general. but anyways, 166 of 326. "occasional" punch thrown out. with that type of accuracy you can get away with it.

BadAss2961

It's actually both. Hit, but don't get hit. That's the game, although not everyone fights that way.

Floyd actually hasn't been running for years now. He didn't run in the first Maidana fight. After which he said he could've made that fight a lot easier if he wanted to. I had figured it meant that he'd "run" more and stay off the ropes, which is exactly what he did -- and voila, pretty easy fight this time.

Maidana is a guy that wants to smother and throw wild punches. The gameplan for any slick fighter is to use movement and hold him when he starts smothering.

Tom_Cody

I have absolutely no problem with the way Floyd fought against Maidana in the rematch. While he was obviously defensively focused, he landed a ton of offense.

That said, I do think that the ref should have let them fight on the inside a bit more, and Robert Garcia should have been complaining about it during the fight.

Tom_Cody

lol who the fuck wants to see Clottey fight?

What's the point? So he can stand there with his arms up and let Canelo swing away and look good to build up his stock?
He's never been knocked out and he's coming off a solid performance in his last fight. They could do a lot worse given that this is just a prelim leading into the Cotto fight. I mean, look at the last few Showtime cards. They could definitely do worse for an opponent.

Ugh. Clottey. Second opponent in a row for Canelo to tee off on while standing in front of him. Just have the Cotto fight in November. If Clottey somehow pulls off a miracle or Alverez gets hurt, that's a lot of $ down the drain.

Taylor won, Soliman seemed to hurt his leg and was falling all over the ring for the last few rounds. Really ugly, borderline unwatchable fight and Taylor is going to get hurt badly if he trys to fight GGG

Top Bottom