• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

abuC

Good stoppage, Kovalev has killed someone in the ring before, the last thing you want is him wailing on a defenseless fighter.

Pascal earned the benefit of the doubt I think. I'm sure Kovalev would have won regardless, but it was an entertaining fight.

Maybe Stevenson will fight him now that he's seen him get his head rocked.

abuC

Pascal earned the benefit of the doubt I think. I'm sure Kovalev would have won regardless, but it was an entertaining fight.

Maybe Stevenson will fight him now that he's seen him get his head rocked.

Kovalev killed a fighter before, you don't play with fire like that, Pascal could have been seriously hurt if they let that go on.

abuC

Yeah, that fight could go either way. Could come down to whoever lands the first big punch.

Yup, would love to see how Kovalev deals with his power, that Aussie southpaw dropped him on a straight left, then again Stevenson didn't look too hot against Fonfara.

Heel

PBC is replacing Friday Night Fights on ESPN, also airing on ABC. Joining NBC, CBS, Spike etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...air-premier-boxing-champions-fights/24953921/

ib0Kifuca7XQmW.gif

Haymon not fucking around. With the talk of eventually having "PBC Championship Belts I think he really wants this to be almost like it's own league, like the UFC or NBA of boxing as it evolves over the years. Glad to hear they are keeping Teddy though.

Leunam

Really excited about this news. With one brand that you can watch on multiple channels and a potential belt in the future it really helps tone down the confusion that some newcomers might have when they hear WBA, WBC, WBO, etc.

I'm glad they are keeping the announce team, my only real concern is where will the C level guys and the unknown prospects get that TV time? FNF showcased a lot of guys on the way up and gatekeeper guys who built some wins into buzz to get on HBO or Showtime. Look at the Boxcino winner getting a shot at GGG, for example. If it's 12 "premium" cards, then stuff like that is gone, and some of those were fun and important fights.

I'm glad they are keeping the announce team, my only real concern is where will the C level guys and the unknown prospects get that TV time? FNF showcased a lot of guys on the way up and gatekeeper guys who built some wins into buzz to get on HBO or Showtime. Look at the Boxcino winner getting a shot at GGG, for example. If it's 12 "premium" cards, then stuff like that is gone, and some of those were fun and important fights.

I wonder this as well.

RBH

Television By Numbers and Sports TV Ratings report that the debut of Premier Boxing Champions on Friday night on SpikeTV drew an average viewership of 869,000 viewers. It received a 0.3 rating in the adult demo of 18-34.

According to Spike, PBC drew 1 million viewers between 10:45pm-11:15pm ET which was during the Josesito Lopez-Andre Berto fight. PBC was to air from 9-11pm but there was a 20 minute overrun for the main event. The event average made it the “most watched boxing event on Friday nights in 8 years” according to Spike. The highlights from Friday’s fights have been viewed 1.5 million times between PBC’s Facebook and Twitter feeds.

The event was the debut of Spike’s revamped Friday Night programming featuring combat sports. PBC featured Lopez versus Berto in the main event. Berto won via 6th round TKO.

The event drew 869,000 viewers over the 2 hours and 20 minutes airing on SpikeTV. It did run opposite a lot of College Basketball as the conference tournaments were in full swing. Notably, the ACC conference tournament game between Duke and Notre Dame on ESPN was the highest-rated sports cable program on Friday night as it received 2.617M viewers for a game that started at 9:50pm on the east coast. Preceding that game on ESPN, North Carolina and Virgina drew 2.054M viewers at 7:00pm.

Per TV By Numbers, the highest-rated show on cable on Friday the 13th was Gold Rush on the Discovery Channel which drew 3.274M viewers.
http://mmapayout.com/2015/03/pbc-on-spiketv-draws-869000-viewers/

Actually a better viewership number compared to what Bellator usually does on Spike.

BadAss2961

Uh oh, Adonis a bit hurt.

Last couple fights i've noticed Adonis playing around too much and extending fights. He might've put Bika away by now had he been more serious business.

IrishNinja

maannn

already trying to line up a dive bar/friend with deep pockets for the $/pacman PPV next month, this is looking like the typa shit you gotta park at the bar for lunch & just stay there all day though

Tom_Cody

Solid win for Stevenson over the weekend. Bika is as awkward as they come and yet Stevenson was able to plan and execute a dominating gameplan. This wasn't a career defining fight or anything, but he maintains his status as a member of the top 2 at 175.

That walk away knockout was pretty badass.

For real. I called my girlfriend to the TV to watch the replay.

With two crushing wins against recent champions, he has already made it into my top 5 at light heavy.

RBH

Premier Boxing Champions has brought the sweet science back to three of the four major free television networks this year.

And starting Saturday, PBC will bring boxing back to where it all started -- on the radio.

SiriusXM, the satellite radio giant, announced Monday that it has signed a deal to broadcast PBC series events on its network.

Live coverage on SiriusXM kicks off with Saturday's NBC-TV fight card at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., with the main event featuring undefeated junior welterweight champion Danny "Swift" Garcia (29-0, 17 KOs) against former champion Lamont Peterson (33-2-1, 17 KOs). The co-main event features undefeated middleweight and Brooklyn resident Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin (31-0, 22 KOs) against WBO champion Andy Lee (34-2, 24 KOs).

The broadcast will air on Sportszone, Channel 92, beginning at 8 p.m. ET.

SiriusXM's broadcast team is led by blow-by-blow announcer Randy Gordon, a former Ring Magazine editor and New York Athletic Commission chairman, color analyst Gerry Cooney, the former heavyweight boxer, and nationally syndicated radio host Sway Calloway is the ringside reporter.

Boxing's history on radio goes back to the 1920s and '30s, when fans huddled around the radio listening to legendary announcers such as Graham McNamee describe in great detail the title fights of the day.

Even through the golden years of the 1970s when another legendary announcer, Don Dunphy, brought the Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier fights to life, radio was the medium where many boxing fans got their fight fix. Closed circuit or Theater TV, the main telecaster of heavyweight championship boxing in those days, was too costly for most.

Steve Cohen, SiriusXM's senior vice president of sports programming, said that while the company airs NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL broadcasts and every game of the NCAA tournament, none of those are produced by SiriusXM.

"So we decided, if we really want this we're going to have to go out and do this ourselves," Cohen told USA TODAY Sports. "We did some with horse racing, and we did it at a very high level. We won an Eclipse award with Dave Johnson, we've produced Breeders' Cups, and the Belmont Stakes, and now in doing this with boxing, we're so excited about it, especially from a production standpoint, and everybody wants to get involved."

Cohen said Gordon has listened to several classic boxing matches on radio to get a feel for how he needs to deliver the action.

"It's so different from television because you're really the eyes of the listening audience," Cohen said. "And you need to take them everywhere the fighters are in the ring: center of the ring, up against the ropes, and let them know what's going on. With that said, if you're doing your job correctly as a boxing play-by-play guy on the radio, you won't hear much from the analyst until after the round. That's the way it was done."

Cohen wants listeners to feel like they're at ringside, taking in all the sights and sounds.

"We're going to have the ring all miked up through the TV partners that are working with Al Haymon, and they've been awesome in providing us that natural sound, and so we want to bring this right through your radio," Cohen said. "We want you to hear the guys hitting each other, we want you to hear the corners. We want to bring you the whole visual of what's going on in that ring and all the sounds that go along with that through your radio."

SiriusXM will broadcast more than 10 Premier Boxing Champions events in 2015. Future broadcasts will be announced at a later date.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eal-with-pbc-to-put-boxing-on-radio/25334487/

pixelation

This thread sure does move slowly... anyways, what is your preferred website for boxing news?, i currently go to boxingnews24.com... but i'm hoping for something better... the articles there make me cringe quite often.

This thread sure does move slowly... anyways, what is your preferred website for boxing news?, i currently go to boxingnews24.com... but i'm hoping for something better... the articles there make me cringe quite often.

I use fight news and r/boxing, but honestly mostly I just follow people on Twitter.

I would say boxing scene but they don't have a mobile interface and their website looks like it's from 1996

abuC

I go to Fight Hype, Boxingnews and I'm in a pretty good FB group that discusses boxing, lots of topics per day and a really well schooled crowd with random older guys.

abuC

Split draw between Lee and Quillin and I can't say I disagree with it, Quillin should have gone for the kill but wasn't nearly active enough.

pixelation

I use fight news and r/boxing, but honestly mostly I just follow people on Twitter.

I would say boxing scene but they don't have a mobile interface and their website looks like it's from 1996

I go to Fight Hype, Boxingnews and I'm in a pretty good FB group that discusses boxing, lots of topics per day and a really well schooled crowd with random older guys.

Thanks for the suggestions dudes.

Top Bottom