• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

El Topo

I'm rooting hard for Jennings. Considering Bowie Topou had him hurt, I'm expecting him to lose. Just go out on your shield and don't be David Haye please.

Everyone has some bad fights or moments occasionally. The important thing is that you pull through. Jennings is solid and he's managed to win against two good competitors (Perez, Szpilka). I think many are expecting him to lose, but I'm confident he'll at least put on a better show than Pulev. Klitschko is getting older, he's got family, he's fighting in the US for the first time in seven years...he could fall. He will fall eventually.

How many years does Wlad really have left? He's 39. No matter how bad one might think of the competition, time catches up with everyone. I just hope he manages to end his career on a high note.

kinggroin

Banned
Man, its already looking like Jennings has no shot getting in there. The pocket is way too small; he's either too far out eating the jab or too close getting sat on.

Man, it's not the reason he is winning, but it's incredibly frustrating to watch Wladimir grab on as much as he does

EDIT: especially in that fourth round, a ton of clinching

BadAss2961

Wlad's having trouble connecting. Jennings moves a lot better than his usual opponents.

Jennings not making him word hard enough though. If the plan is to wait for Wlad to tire, you have to do more.

BadAss2961

Wlad looks lost without being able to lean on his opponent.
Yeah... It's such an essential part of his game that his style is almost broken without it. This is pretty exposing.

If this becomes a thing that every fighter and referee starts looking for, it'll be a big problem for Wlad.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't get the feeling Wladimir is really trying. Looks like he's just trying not to deflate hype for his future fights by making people think no one can beat him.

Wladimir is a good boxer and supplements that with his holding whenever he catches so much as a whiff of danger, it definitely presents an interesting question, as to how dominant can he be if he is policed more often for his clinching.

abuC

Wladimir is a good boxer and supplements that with his holding whenever he catches so much as a whiff of danger, it definitely presents an interesting question, as to how dominant can he be if he is policed more often for his clinching.

I actually want to see him fight Tyson Fury now, just because he can't clinch and lean on the much bigger man.

BadAss2961

I don't get the feeling Wladimir is really trying. Looks like he's just trying not to deflate hype for his future fights by making people think no one can beat him.
Wlad did his usual thing, but was thrown off by the ref warning him for holding. Without that, Jennings would've eventually folded like all the rest. He was hurt in the 12th.

But yeah, Jennings was pretty slippery too compared to what Wlad's used to seeing.

kinggroin

Banned
Once wlad realized he could sneak his hands right through Jennings defense, he played it safe.

Honestly, I believe if he let go a little bit, this could have ended with Jennings on his back.

and wlad getting criticism is bogus...its really hard for a tall fighter to fight agianst a small fighter in the inside, without using clinching..

jennings was also just bull rushing wlad and headbutting him too...

a clinch to me always seems to be something that happens because both fighters want it

and wlad getting criticism is bogus...its really hard for a tall fighter to fight agianst a small fighter in the inside, without using clinching..

jennings was also just bull rushing wlad and headbutting him too...

a clinch to me always seems to be something that happens because both fighters want it

His over excessive holding isn't a new story, it's something he's utilized and become dependant upon. Especially in the recent years, the criticism is warranted IMO

Turin

Banned
Wlad seems to have lost a half step but that's to be expected. The Wlad of 2010-11 probably would have put him down. It takes a lot to piss him off though because he didn't really let his hands go until the 12th round(which was a nice closer btw).

Huge respect to Jennings though. I'd love to see him in against just about anyone else in the division.

UrokeJoe

Jennings did really well and should be commended. His tactics got him far and made for a good fight, but he was wrong in thinking he was scoring points. Wlad was holding some and deserved the take away, but ultimately it was on instinct and being larger. Pretty hard not to in a fight like that.

El Topo

I actually want to see him fight Tyson Fury now, just because he can't clinch and lean on the much bigger man.

Then you should be happy to hear that Fury will apparently be his mandatory WBO defense and subsequently his next opponent. Wlad's not afraid to clinch against taller opponents though even if he can't lean on them, see the Wach bout.

I honestly hope Fury loses, because I'm already sick and tired of British boxing fans hyping him through the roof. It's bad when it's hard to tell satire ("2Fast2Fury") and real fans apart. Same thing with Khan.

Turin

Banned
Klitschko tends to let his hands go a bit more when he fights bigger guys because he's usually a lot faster than them.

Should be quite an event though.

Heel

Figured you'd guys would be interested in this.

Whoever is running Mike Tyson's YouTube channel has been uploading some pretty cool stuff as of late. There's a "this day in boxing" series where they post a historical boxing video from the day in question every day. No idea if they have any rights to half this stuff, but interesting nonetheless. Lots of great content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdtNjOwfQpgVK0FyOeLyzrg

Plus, the little stinger video of Mike Tyson promoting the channel at the end of every upload is an absolute treasure.

Heel

Mayweather wins decision, plays it close for the rematch money.

mayweather-entrance-o.gif

Turin

Banned
I think Floyd will get the measure of Manny and secure a competitive decision win.

With that said, I do have a sneaking suspicion that Manny's foot speed and whatever plan Freddie has in mind might cause something unexpected to happen.

There's no rematch clause people, it's all or nothing for this one fight.

There won't be a rematch.

If Floyd loses there will almost certainly be a rematch.

abuC

There's always the chance of a monster straight left catching Mayweather, he hasn't fought a southpaw in a long time. Everyone makes the JMM comparisons, but Juan Man will take a punch to land a punch, Floyd doesn't do that.

I expect him to win, but a flush left connecting and ending it wouldn't shock me either.

Top Bottom