• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

VoxPop

Is it just me, or it seems like there's not much buzz around the fight?

I get that feeling too. I understand the fight is like 5 years too late, but it's pretty much the biggest fight possible in any form of combat sports in this generation. It does have all the casual fans talking about it (such as myself) but not to the degree it should be. I for one am excited for it but not as much as I should be. But I see them breaking 3 million buys easily regardless even at that absurd $99.99 price.

Is it me or has Mayweather been real quiet in the build up to this fight?

I mean even the BBC saying he has acted tense in all week. I don't hear no shit talking from him, its weird making me think he might loose.

Is it me or has Mayweather been real quiet in the build up to this fight?

I mean even the BBC saying he has acted tense in all week. I don't hear no shit talking from him, its weird making me think he might loose.

Floyd has not trolled in a long time actually. In the maidana fights,canelo,etc. He cooled down a few years ago.

abuC

59420770.jpg

The official thread is hilarious.

abuC

That's nothing yet.

It's going to be something else tomorrow afternoon.

I can't wait, especially if Floyd puts on a defensive clinic and doesn't actively engage Manny. Those type of fights always get the best reactions in those threads.

Joe

i'm not really emotionally invested in either fighter however i do think floyd is going to win.

i do know it is going to be incredibly entertaining fight.

Lupercal

Banned
Is there any way to watch it online via a paid streaming service?
Being in Europe there's not much possibility having a ppv provider here.

TuXx

Afterwards unless there is a rematch needed i think Manny should fight Canelo and Floyd should fight Khan.

I'd rather see Pac fight Matthysse or Crawford next. Floyd and Khan is cool, but I'd rather see a rematch with Cotto to see him go for a tittle at middle weight.

Not going to lie, I don't watch boxing let alone sports in general, but I think Floyd will win even though I want Manny to win. maybe I want Floyd to lose because he is such an arrogant and cocky jackass.

Heel

FLoyd just ran the entire fight.

My mind and body aren't really ready for the Expert Boxing Commentary that'll be flowing tonight. Dudes who haven't watched boxing since Foreman vs. Savarese want to analyze for the room. Shit is just complete fuckery and I kinda love it.

"HE'S GOTTA KEEP HIM ON THE END OF THAT STICK."

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Being part of the cult for the past several years and being an ex amateur boxer. I can't stand the fucking official thread with all the casuals. It is nice that this will bring more viewers to the sport but they tend to focus more on the personal lives of the boxers than their styles/techniques. I am going to hide in here until it all blows over.

Tubie

Being part of the cult for the past several years and being an ex amateur boxer. I can't stand the fucking official thread with all the casuals. It is nice that this will bring more viewers to the sport but they tend to focus more on the personal lives of the boxers than their styles/techniques. I am going to hide in here until it all blows over.

Yep, hopefully people forget about that stuff and focus on the actual fight once it starts.

abuC

I await the "boxing is dead" type posts after the fight

charsace

I can't wait. I still think Floyd puts on a boxing clinic against Manny to shut all the doubters up that don't rank him like he should be ranked.

abuC

I can't wait. I still think Floyd puts on a boxing clinic against Manny to shut all the doubters up that don't rank him like he should be ranked.

I'm just curious to see how Floyd deals with a fast southpaw, the last quick one he went against was Zab, and honestly Zab knocked him down even if the ref didn't see it he got caught.

So glad its over, the casuals are unbearable. Who do you guys think will face Floyd in September? Im thinking Amir Khan, but rather see Roach get a crack at him with Cotto.

Either guy would still lose but Cotto gave Floyd some shots to think about

So glad its over, the casuals are unbearable. Who do you guys think will face Floyd in September? Im thinking Amir Khan, but rather see Roach get a crack at him with Cotto.

Either guy would still lose but Cotto gave Floyd some shots to think about
khan makes the most sense. he looks better than ever his last two fights and his style can give floyd some issues. manny should fight canelo.

Kahn or Danny Garcia I guess.

Not to take ANYTHING away from Floyd, but what exactly was Mannys game plan? Not throw punches or cut off the ring for 12 rounds? Uh ok. Very interesting that Maidana did better against Mayweather.

khan makes the most sense. he looks better than ever his last two fights and his style can give floyd some issues. manny should fight canelo.
Would LOVE to see Manny fight Canelo, but he didn't enjoy moving up against Margarito, he was negated by Floyd's measurables among other reasons. I don't think he wants it with the bigger Canelo. Hope im wrong !

TuXx

I gave Manny about 4 rounds. Manny had some good moments, but didn't really build off any momentum that he had. I was a little surprised how long it took Floyd to gain control of the fight. Floyd clearly won but was never really that dominant in the fight.

As for where they go now, I kinda want to see them fight one more time (not each other) and call it quits. They're clearly not at that same level anymore.

Manny and his team should be ashamed for making all these excuses about an injured shoulder during training. Take the loss like a man; Floyd was the better man tonight. That press conference was cringeworthy. I do like seeing all the salty tweets from De la Hoya though; forever hating on Floyd lol!

Manny and his team should be ashamed for making all these excuses about an injured shoulder during training. Take the loss like a man; Floyd was the better man tonight. That press conference was cringeworthy. I do like seeing all the salty tweets from De la Hoya though; forever hating on Floyd lol!
Im dissapointed he is being a sore loser but can only imagine his dissapointment. And theres no reason for him to be, he's still rich, still beloved and still regarded as an all time great.

Im dissapointed he is being a sore loser but can only imagine his dissapointment. And theres no reason for him to be, he's still rich, still beloved and still regarded as an all time great.
Yeah, he's better than that. I know he's devastated, probably more than the Marquez KO, but it's not like he's gonna lose fans. He just went up against a better fighter. I wish Arum and Roach would shut the fuck up though.

No point in continuing there, fights over, all that's left is to whine since they didn't get to see Floyd lose.

Onto the next one, I'm stoked for Canelo and Kirkland. Too bad James is still at odds with Anne Wolf, she gets the most out of him, and he is going without her for the biggest fight of his career. I think a mid round stoppage is likely.

Turin

Banned
Khan's a good bet for September. I'm curious to see if they'll push for Danny Garcia since he's been on NBC and is currently less of a threat for what is probably Floyd's last fight.

kinggroin

Banned
for posterity: things went exactly as you imagined

Good times. Glad this side exists as a safe heaven from the other "fans"

The fight was really impressive, I must say. It was interesting to see how Floyd would handle Manny flurries (very well), and how Manny would adjust to the size and reach disadvantage (horribly).

Floyd's defense and counter defense/offense just completely neutralized whatever Manny tried to bring to the fight.

I'm still shocked that Marcos Maidana, Miguel Cotto, and Oscar de la Hoya, did MUCH better jobs against Floyd than Manny. Even at the worst, never pictured it going down like 118-110. Sick.

Question. Where were Manny's legs? He was almost never bouncing to create angles. Was it cause Floyd's speed in moving with him?

Turin

Banned
The truth is Manny has always been a very aggressive counter puncher but still primarily a counter puncher. Floyd's just better at it.

Boogybro

Good times. Glad this side exists as a safe heaven from the other "fans"

The fight was really impressive, I must say. It was interesting to see how Floyd would handle Manny flurries (very well), and how Manny would adjust to the size and reach disadvantage (horribly).

Floyd's defense and counter defense/offense just completely neutralized whatever Manny tried to bring to the fight.

I'm still shocked that Marcos Maidana, Miguel Cotto, and Oscar de la Hoya, did MUCH better jobs against Floyd than Manny. Even at the worst, never pictured it going down like 118-110. Sick.

Question. Where were Manny's legs? He was almost never bouncing to create angles. Was it cause Floyd's speed in moving with him?

Why are you shocked though? They all have something in common, and that is that they all have a much better jab than Manny. That's always the thing that has gave Floyd trouble, combined with intelligent pressure. Pac just doesn't fight that way.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The most impressive part of the fight was watching Floyd Mayweather completely ignore his father. He knew he was in control of the fight, he knew he couldn't be too aggressive. He basically doesn't even need a corner, that's how smart he is. He just needs somebody to give him water between rounds.

Turin

Banned
Yeah. Roger's always been a much better corner man.

I'm a bit pessimistic right now that Floyd will side step Khan and pick Garcia. He has a bit of a following already, the NBC exposure, Latin decent, undefeated record and a win over Khan.

Tubie

for posterity: things went exactly as you imagined

Contrary to what the fight OT believes, the fight was a real treat.

Manny made adjustments in his style, the problem is that it made him way too cautious. Whenever he landed a good shot he held back, maybe expecting the Mayweather counter.

Mayweather just read him like an open book and it was amazing to watch him just neutralize everything Manny tried.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I liked the fight, I thought it would be closer before it started, but whatever I enjoyed it.

I'm really curious to know who Floyd will fight next. I'm hoping it will be Khan, I think it could be a fun match.

Top Bottom