• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

And Mayweather beat the hell out of Canelo. Just shows how dominant Money is.
He didn't beat the hell out of him, but he did put on a masterclass against Canelo and painted him with straight rights. Dominated him on the scorecard and gave him a boxing lesson which was pretty entertaining to watch for me personally, moreso than last week.

And its impressive because Canelo is tremendously skilled, I'd bet money on him over Pacquiao to be honest.

Heel

https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/597230201597071361

FearfulVeneratedAmericanbobtail.gif

kcxiv

He didn't beat the hell out of him, but he did put on a masterclass against Canelo and painted him with straight rights. Dominated him on the scorecard and gave him a boxing lesson which was pretty entertaining to watch for me personally, moreso than last week.

And its impressive because Canelo is tremendously skilled, I'd bet money on him over Pacquiao to be honest.

Them 2 should NEVER EVER fight. Canelo is too big. There is no way Manny m oves up to 154. I would NOT want to see it. As much of a boxing fan as i am, I dont want to see that.

Turin

Banned
The idea of Pacquiao vs. Canelo is absurd.

I really want to see Canelo vs. Cotto if they can come to terms. If not, let's see if Saul is willing to step in there with GGG.

BadAss2961

Them 2 should NEVER EVER fight. Canelo is too big. There is no way Manny m oves up to 154. I would NOT want to see it. As much of a boxing fan as i am, I dont want to see that.
The idea of Pacquiao vs. Canelo is absurd.
Why? I know it's not 2010 anymore, but Manny has already fought and destroyed bigger guys than Canelo. Margarito, Oscar, Cotto, and Clottey come to mind.

Before the Mayweather fight finally got set, Pacquiao/Canelo is the matchup I wanted to see. It's just too bad the surgery will stop it more than anything.

Tubie

I think it's sad a fight like tonight's (or Cotto/Canelo) would've been the fight most people in the Mayweather/Pac OT wanted to see and would've been happy to spend $100 on.

I bet 99% of the people who posted in that thread don't know who Canelo (or Cotto) even is.

I think it's sad a fight like tonight's (or Cotto/Canelo) would've been the fight most people in the Mayweather/Pac OT wanted to see and would've been happy to spend $100 on.

I bet 99% of the people who posted in that thread don't know who Canelo (or Cotto) even is.

They know who Canelo is even if only because he fought Mayweather previously.

Turin

Banned
Why? I know it's not 2010 anymore, but Manny has already fought and destroyed bigger guys than Canelo. Margarito, Oscar, Cotto, and Clottey come to mind.

Before the Mayweather fight finally got set, Pacquiao/Canelo is the matchup I wanted to see. It's just too bad the surgery will stop it more than anything.

If you want to talk size, none of those guys are bigger than Canelo. Margarito is about the same size but he was faded and never as good as Saul to begin with. Oscar depleted his body and was as good as dead in the ring. Clottey and Cotto were smaller at the time Pac fought them and are still a bit smaller than Saul now. Manny on the other hand wanted to go down to 140 before they made the Floyd fight and has had to ingest an enormous amount of calories just to stay at welterweight. They're practically two weight classes apart in terms of natural size, maybe a little more at this point.

2010-2012 Pac might be a 50-50 fight with the current Canelo just based on ability and talent but I'd probably still favor the Mexican in that scenario.

scabro

I wanted to just start asking some of those people to name 5 other boxers that are currently up and coming but decided not to because there was no point in stirring that up. It was obvious no one in there knew shit.

pixelation

lets get this straight. Floyd wins, but he doesnt beat the hell out of anyone. lol. Floyd hasnt beaten the hell out of anyone since Ricky Hatton.

He beat his wife... *badum tst*...

On a serious note, what a great showing from Canelo. I don't think Cotto will fight him next...

Much, much better fight than the MayPac turd.

BadAss2961

If you want to talk size, none of those guys are bigger than Canelo. Margarito is about the same size but he was faded and never as good as Saul to begin with. Oscar depleted his body and was as good as dead in the ring. Clottey and Cotto were smaller at the time Pac fought them and are still a bit smaller than Saul now. Manny on the other hand wanted to go down to 140 before they made the Floyd fight and has had to ingest an enormous amount of calories just to stay at welterweight. They're practically two weight classes apart in terms of natural size, maybe a little more at this point.

2010-2012 Pac might be a 50-50 fight with the current Canelo just based on ability and talent but I'd probably still favor the Mexican in that scenario.
You're right. Looking at some of Canelo's fight night weights, dude goes above 170. Never realized just how big he gets.

Still though, Margarito was around that same area. Plus he's like 6 feet tall. Manny's fought guys north of 160 lbs before and has not only overwhelmed them with speed, but he's yet to look underpowered against them. I just don't see why it's a mismatch or something not worth seriously considering.

pixelation

You're right. Looking at some of Canelo's fight night weights, dude goes above 170. Never realized just how big he gets.

Still though, Margarito was around that same area. Plus he's like 6 feet tall. Manny's fought guys north of 160 lbs before and has not only overwhelmed them with speed, but he's yet to look underpowered against them. I just don't see why it's a mismatch or something not worth seriously considering.

Current PacMan?, no way in hell... he is nowhere near the same fighter he was prior to his brutal KO loss, his killer instinct left him, that and who knows how is surgery is going to affect him.

Tubie

It sucks, but that Pacquiao is gone forever. I don't think he will ever even come close to being the same fighter he was before that Marquez KO.

Lum1n3s

Don't forget he's just 24 years old so this guy has a lot going for him later on on his life and can definitely take that loss as a learning lesson. Very proud of the guy for what he's accomplished at such a young age.

Leunam

Soon as I saw how quickly Kirkland closed the gap once the first bell rung I knew it was going to be a war.

Kirkland threw a lot, but Canelo traded with him in those exchanges a little more than I would like. I guess you can expect that when two brawlers collide and I suppose it's worth the trade when you know Kirkland doesn't have a sturdy chin.

BadAss2961

Soon as I saw how quickly Kirkland closed the gap once the first bell rung I knew it was going to be a war.

Kirkland threw a lot, but Canelo traded with him in those exchanges a little more than I would like. I guess you can expect that when two brawlers collide and I suppose it's worth the trade when you know Kirkland doesn't have a sturdy chin.
Kirland should've just pulled a Chavez Jr and quit after that uppercut knockdown. Then say he won the fight.

Leunam

Hell, the fight was basically called at the end of the first round. Looked to me like the ref waved it off and the match would have been over had the bell not rung.

harSon

Banned
lets get this straight. Floyd wins, but he doesnt beat the hell out of anyone. lol. Floyd hasnt beaten the hell out of anyone since Ricky Hatton.

Eh, he tagged him all match - and it looked like he tagged him the whole match:

Here's Cotto:

cotto4344.jpg

Here's Guerrero:

guerrero322.jpg

He doesn't throw combinations anymore though. He's a pure defensive counter puncher, and relies more on accurate pot shots and jabs to create distance. He used to do that to dictate the fights in the early rounds, and then he'd beat your ass with some nasty combos. Doesn't have it in him anymore though.

Also, that was a nasty knockout by Canelo. The competition wasn't that great IMO, but some of those knockdowns were beautiful - despite being against a slower than molasses opponent.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
From the highlights of Canelo vs Kirkland I thought the fight went like 8-10 rounds or something. What a right hook to end it.

Yeah the whole three rounds was basically the equivalent of a 12 round of highlights, it was very explosive. Didn't like how careless Kirkland was, first time I watched him fight, I wonder if he's always like that.

The first time I watched Canelo right was against Floyd, so I wasn't impressed then, but I'm glad I watched the fight yesterday, I'll definitely watch all his future matches.

Next fight I'm planning to watch is Khan VS Algieri.

IrishNinja

this, this this this

kcxiv

Eh, he tagged him all match - and it looked like he tagged him the whole match:

Here's Cotto:

cotto4344.jpg

Here's Guerrero:

guerrero322.jpg

He doesn't throw combinations anymore though. He's a pure defensive counter puncher, and relies more on accurate pot shots and jabs to create distance. He used to do that to dictate the fights in the early rounds, and then he'd beat your ass with some nasty combos. Doesn't have it in him anymore though.

Also, that was a nasty knockout by Canelo. The competition wasn't that great IMO, but some of those knockdowns were beautiful - despite being against a slower than molasses opponent.

Its aboxing match, guys are going to get hit and when you get hit and you have light skin, guess what? its going to get red. none of them fighters were in any real danger of being knocked out. None of them fights were wars. None of them fights took anything out of anyone.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Good breakdown of the Floyd-Pac fight http://www.thefightcity.com/lee-wyl...y-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-maypac-lee-wylie/

I really suggest subscribing to his youtube page, the technical analysis videos are great.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LeeWylie1/videos

Unrelated, I just thought of something. I bet soon they will have real-time scanners set around the ring, and we'll be able to rewatch the fights in full 3D, in slow-motion, from any angle. Will make some awesome footage for sports show when doing replays.

BTW, is Maidana not fighting again?

BTW, is Maidana not fighting again?

He's put on a ton of weight recently (if that video with Broner is anything to go by), and has basically been taking a break since fighting Broner once and Mayweather twice in a nine month period.

He will more than likely be fighting again, but probably not until late this year or early next year. He needs a lot of gym time to just put off the weight, given the amount he's gained.

Boogybro

Its aboxing match, guys are going to get hit and when you get hit and you have light skin, guess what? its going to get red. none of them fighters were in any real danger of being knocked out. None of them fights were wars. None of them fights took anything out of anyone.

None of them were in danger of getting knocked out, he's doesn't go for it anymore. All of them got rocked pretty good at one point or another though, even Canelo in the 7th round with a vicious uppercut.

El Topo

Wilder vs Eric Molina in his first defence.

Joke division.

Oh come on, it's not that much worse than Golovkin fighting Monroe Jr. this weekend. The division is not the problem in this case. There's plenty of decent enough competition that he could have fought instead. I'm sure he could've gotten e.g. Tony Thompson, who despite his age is still uncomfortable to box.

Tom_Cody

Wilder vs Eric Molina in his first defence.

Joke division.
Even though he has a belt, I still consider Wilder to essentially be a prospect. I mean, he's only fought one fighter in the top 30.

I'm fine with him fighting limited guys for now as long as they can take him some rounds and he fights 3-4 times a year.

I make fun of Wilder as much as anyone but to be fair to him, everyone above Molina in the WBC rankings has plans.

And, if he fights a few more times this year, I wouldn't begrudge him a softer touch in his first defense.

Top Bottom