• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Good come back from Monroe. Golovkin seemed a bit gassed out.

haha Eddie Murphy, all inconspicuous and shit

Golovkinsd defense really is his offense it seems

Seriously that was not a great round by GGG

Monroe is showing a lot of heart right now. He could have stayed down after taking those hits during GGG's flurry in round 2 but he weathered it.

Now he's clearly got the more energy of the two fighters. It has to be discouraging to see all of these shots he's landed to the dome in the past two rounds leave GGG completely unfazed tho.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I give Monroe the fifth round too, but it was more even. I'm not sure TBH.

edit: Yep, done. It looked inevitable that even if Monroe could win rounds, he wouldn't last.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's the thing, GGG didn't look hurt, just a bit tired, while Monroe was hurt, increasingly so, but still going. It was bound to happen. Good job though.

Good show by GGG. A fight with Canelo needs to happen but I think Canelo's people are going to push more for the sure thing money wise with Cotto in the fall. Hopefully Canelo/GGG happens soon though. Shit would be fireworks.

abuC

Good show by GGG. A fight with Canelo needs to happen but I think Canelo's people are going to push more for the sure thing money wise with Cotto in the fall. Hopefully Canelo/GGG happens soon though. Shit would be fireworks.

We back, out on bail.

I got the boot for co-signing your post lol

Turin

Banned
GGG vs. Canelo is the best fight in boxing on paper. Those two could ignite an inferno in the ring.

I'm not completely buying what Gennady said about "wanting it to happen" when he was eating leather. I do believe he let Monroe back in the fight but some defensive cracks were exposed a little bit.

Shearie

GGG vs. Canelo is the best fight in boxing on paper. Those two could ignite an inferno in the ring.

I'm not completely buying what Gennady said about "wanting it to happen" when he was eating leather. I do believe he let Monroe back in the fight but some defensive cracks were exposed a little bit.

god, i'd kill to see this fight happen, even if i don't know who i'd bet on

Yup. Was just talking to someone earlier after the GGG vs. Monroe fight was over that GGG vs. Canelo is pretty much THE fight of boxing right now, although I REALLY want GGG to fight David Lemieux before that, preferably this year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We back, out on bail.

I got the boot for co-signing your post lol

Ayyyy welcome back, Boxing is dead, but there's still been some action happening.

Sadly, Friday Night Fights will see it's end this Friday with the conclusion of the boxcino tournaments

Back like good crack. MaPac seemed to have clapped a few of us. Canelo Kirkland was a dope fight to be at. The venue went crazy after the third round KO.

GGG Monroe was good. I do see people having success fighting on the inside, but GGG said in the post interview he let the boxer come back into the fight for a better show.

Leunam

Golovkin didn't look too good to me fighting in the pocket. Kind of a surprise to be honest coming from such an aggressive fighter. Still, credit to Munroe for his performance up close.

Froch vs Golovkin at Wembley Stadium?

"We have already opened negotiations with Golovkin's people and they are very keen," Hearn told the Daily Mail.

"I only want Carl to take it if he's genuinely motivated because it is a high-risk fight.

"Golovkin is the most feared fighter in the world and Carl doesn't need this fight. But he says he is intrigued by how he would deal with him. He's crazy that way."

Froch vs Golovkin at Wembley Stadium?

Just saw this this morning. Pretty damn excited. If Froch is serious, the fight will happen. Though he seems to be on his way out of the sport at the moment, he would be the highest-caliber opponent GGG has faced by a mile.

For that matter, I much prefer to see GGG fight at 168. I really don't think any middleweight or junior middleweight is going to challenge him, and none of the marquee fighters at those weights are eager to do so. At super middleweight, on the other hand, Gennady is (relatively) small and the opposition is more durable. As a result, the guys at that weight just aren't as threatened by him. A win over Froch would open up that division to him considerably, which would give him a chance to seize the legacy he clearly wants.

Since he is a natural middleweight, his desire to unify that division is understandable and, frankly, just makes sense. Unfortunately, he punches too hard for those guys.

El Topo

ESPN3 will air Povetkin vs. Perez this Friday (12:30 p.m. ET). Should be a really good heavyweight bout. If you get the channel, you should totally check it out.
I know I always say that, but given how good Povetkin's fight with Takam was, this could be one of the best heavyweight fights in a while. Probably. Maybe. Potentially.

Edit:
By the way, the winner apparently earns a title shot against Wilder.

GGG/Froch would be so good, especially if they can do it this fall along with Canelo/Cotto, setting up a (if they both win) Canelo/GGG super fight next cinco de mayo.

Leunam

Just before we watched GGG/Munroe, I told my friend to watch both Froch/Groves fights. He got pretty excited when I told him about this potential match

El Topo

Okay, fair enough, it wasn't exactly a good heavyweight fight, but you gotta admit that it was entertaining the two minutes (might've been a bit less) it lasted. Can't wait for Wilder-Povetkin. Never thought Perez would get destroyed like that. Fantastic knockout.

Wilder-Povetkin is a fight with potential. That's something you can sell to audiences: USA vs. Russia.

abuC

Okay, fair enough, it wasn't exactly a good heavyweight fight, but you gotta admit that it was entertaining the two minutes (might've been a bit less) it lasted. Can't wait for Wilder-Povetkin. Never thought Perez would get destroyed like that. Fantastic knockout.

Wilder-Povetkin is a fight with potential. That's something you can sell to audiences: USA vs. Russia.

For anyone who missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhJIYe7WDMU

John Thompson IV wins the Boxcino Middleweight tournament. Came in the tournament as an alternate too.

And Andrey Fedesov ko's Dennis to win the Heavyweight tournament. So long FNF!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Froch on UK TV for the fight and certainly seems up for a Golovkin fight, says he'll make an announcement early June.

Top Bottom