• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Who wouldn't want to see that?

With all of the potential matchups for GGG out there, it's hard for me to imagine anyone who would want to see that.

Everyone wants to see how capable GGG is against current top-tier opponents. A fight with De La Hoya would be a complete fucking waste.

Also, to clarify on this, I don't think Oscar was actually telegraphing a return to the ring. His comment seems to be in response to questions about Shane Mosley and RJJ calling him out. To me, his comment reads more like, "If I ever came out of retirement, I would fight Golovkin, not Mosley or RJJ." Given the number of articles I'm seeing, the lack of context seems to be spinning out of control.

El Topo

With all of the potential matchups for GGG out there, it's hard for me to imagine anyone who would want to see that.

Everyone wants to see how capable GGG is against current top-tier opponents. A fight with De La Hoya would be a complete fucking waste.

Also, to clarify on this, I don't think Oscar was actually telegraphing a return to the ring. His comment seems to be in response to questions about Shane Mosley and RJJ calling him out. To me, his comment reads more like, "If I ever came out of retirement, I would fight Golovkin, not Mosley or RJJ." Given the number of articles I'm seeing, the lack of context seems to be spinning out of control.

We all want GGG to fight top-tier opponents, but even more than that I'd pay to see De La Hoya get wrecked by GGG. Of course he's not actually going to come out of retirement at 42 to fight Golovkin. He's not an idiot. Not going to happen. His prime is long gone and as early as 2004 he looked very beatable. I don't doubt 2004 De La Hoya would get knocked out by GGG, 2015 De La Hoya would get crushed.

Then again, I'm fool enough to still follow the heavyweight division. My opinion doesn't really count.

VoxPop

Got a couple of suite tickets for the Cotto fight tomorrow from my friend. Free food and a nice view. Cotto is one of the few boxers I actually followed on a regular basis so I'm pretty excited. As a casual fan, are there any other fights I should be looking out for?

kinggroin

Banned
Got a couple of suite tickets for the Cotto fight tomorrow from my friend. Free food and a nice view. Cotto is one of the few boxers I actually followed on a regular basis so I'm pretty excited. As a casual fan, are there any other fights I should be looking out for?

Adrien Broner vs Shawn Porter

Also HIGHLY recommend youtubing the full match Canelo Alvarez vs James Kirkland.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guy just let himself fall at the end. He had enough.

edit: Cotto gave him a good head butt too.

Man its amazing to watch someone of Cotto's stature thrash bigger opponents like he does. Future HOFer absolutely

I can only imagine what he would have been with Roach in his corner sooner

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cotto looked good, always does, but really there wasn't much in front of him tonight.

I'd really love to be at the Cotto Canelo fight.

Cotto looked impressive tonight, tailor made opponent perhaps but still Geale was north of 180 on fight night and Cotto's power looked impressive.

Had Cotto looked middling, I think Canelo would've been a decided favorite.

Canelo still probably a slight favorite but Cotto renewed hope that he's got enough left in the tank to put on a high level fight.

I still think his best bet is to try and outbox Canelo, don't get into a war.
Should be fun, just cross my fingers that no injuries occur to stymie it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think Cotto has to fight Canelo like Floyd did, but can he? I think Canelo will go hard, might knock out Cotto, unless he goes in with reduced confidence.

Turin

Banned
Canelo's not really a pressure fighter and I don't think he's exceptionally good at that. He's a technician at heart.

This fight's going to be brutal but technical.

I see Cotto possibly stopping Canelo late. I think his timing, his jab, and his experience will be too much down the stretch. We know Cotto can hurt bigger men, and I think he can get to Canelo early and often.

Top Bottom