• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

C'mon Freddy. This is bullshit. His eyes are glazed over and his gloves look like they are filled with sand. This guy cannot fight back. Not a good look for Freddy and the ref here.

I don't feel good about that at all. Pascal took 2 and a half rounds of completely unnecessary damage. Doesn't help that Kovalev has beaten a dude into a coma in the past.

Turin

Banned
Pascal was a solid 1-2 away from going to sleep two or three rounds ago.

I don't know if there's something Sergey was being cautious about or if he's really that much of a sadist.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'd love for Stevenson to beat Kovalev, but it's not happening. I can't think of anyone who could in this weight class.

IrishNinja

damn, was gonna say i missed tonight's fight but it sounds like shit went even worse for pascal than expected

When are we going to get another boxing game?

it's a fine question, but until we can put something out just as good (if not better than) Fight Night Round 3 i'm okay waiting, personally

His shit talking father and the fact that he kinda stole one from Mauricio Herrera.

Beating fan friendly favorites like Amir Khan, and Lucas Matthysse are more to blame IMO. Danny is the best overachiever in the sport, and doesn't fit the bill, so people hate him, but he's won every fight, and now he's a two division champ, he's got my respect.

yeah, i kinda came around on Danny too but he feels like a fighter just waiting to pick the wrong ticket & get exposed, might just be me

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Kovalev humiliated Pascal last night... felt bad for Pascal as the ref should have stopped it 2 1/2 rounds before it was stopped... people saying Kovalev let it go to punish him more... honestly it seemed he let off because he didn't want to kill him... only throwing the jab at correct distance and then unloading the right into the body up close.. he could have stopped it at anytime if he wanted to put him out.. and he didn't.

Ref was horrible, and Freddy knew he shouldn't have let him out for that last round, but 1st time training the guy.. that's tough.

lol Max cheesin' he knows they ain't gonna do shit. "Adonis Chickenson" lol

giphy.gif

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
HBO was really pushing hard for the Ward/Kovalev fight. It is going to happen I am just curious to see how Andre Ward will approach Kovalev. It should not be too much of a problem weight wise since Andre Ward used to fight at LHW in the olympics and got a gold medal back in 2004.

Regarding Adonis, he needs to man the fuck up. The only thing killing this fight between him and Kovalev are all the promoters not being able to play ball. It sucks that Al Haymon and HBO do not want to work with each other and they can continue to use that friction between both camps to not make the fight.

However, it has been enough everyone knows that Adonis is ducking and cherry picking (anyone see his last fight?). He really needs to step up. He can't be the Lineal Champion of the division and fighting weak competition.

The same goes for Ward as well, even though I am a big fan. I understand that he had a 2 year lay off but how many tune up fights do you need bruh? Get this Kovalev fight already.

Turin

Banned
I could understand taking one more fight against a decent opponent before Kovalev(it was only Paul Smith) but what almost happened on the Cotto-Canelo card was bullshit.

With that said, it looks like Ward is going to fight Sullivan Barrera next. I can accept that one as long as he fights Kovalev right after.

Farsi

This is a throw back to the old days when the two guys who were suppose to fight both get mismatches to look impressive. Don't be surprised if GGG is the co-main or fights shortly after that one.

I'll order it because of the hype.

PR_rambo

Banned
Khan doesn't deserve the shot but I will enjoy watching him get beat up on.

Maybe Canelo is going to wait for GGG to age after all

Canelo will be about 170lbs on fight night, why?

Canelo typically clocks in closer to 175lbs at unofficial weigh-ins on fight night.

Khan wants the big stage, and now he's got it. Man, I feel sorry for him. Has Khan ever fought at 155lb yet?

No. Khan fought at 135 for basically his entire career until 2009. From 2009 to 2012, he fought at 140. He then transitioned into welterweight with a 143lb catchweight bout against Julio Diaz in 2013, and has fought his last three fights at 147. Physically, Khan is a natural 140lber.

Canelo typically clocks in closer to 175lbs at unofficial weigh-ins on fight night.

No. Khan fought at 135 for basically his entire career until 2009. From 2009 to 2012, he fought at 140. He then transitioned into welterweight with a 143lb catchweight bout against Julio Diaz in 2013, and has fought his last three fights at 147. Physically, Khan is a natural 140lber.

That's what I figured......Damn Khan, goodluck! lol

This is a throw back to the old days when the two guys who were suppose to fight both get mismatches to look impressive. Don't be surprised if GGG is the co-main or fights shortly after that one.

I'll order it because of the hype.

Golovkin's next fight will be on April 23. He and Canelo have been penciled in for 4/23 and 5/7, respectively, for some time. He will not be a co-main or fight shortly after Canelo/Khan.

I doubt Canelo would ever fight a light-heavyweight.

Fortunately, we just want him to fight actual middleweights. Where do light heavyweights even come into play?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hope Khan is getting paid a fortune for this as he has no chance at all, Canelo going to have like 30lbs on him, lol.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Khan getting a great pay day to get knocked out. Khans body wont be able to take them shots. Will be really surprised if this goes past the 5th.

jayvo

So is Khan moving up in weight just to fight Canelo? I don't see the benefit. He should just stick with Welterweight to be honest.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
It was funny I was talking to my mate about boxing and we agreed that besides the Thurman v Porter fight there was not really much to look forward to until later in the year. Then I went to the bathroom checked my phone and saw Khan v Canelo. Wat. Khan is going to get decapitated.

Khan is naturally 140-147 so him moving essentially up two weight classes to fight a guy who should be a 168 makes no sense. Khan should have just fought Kell brook who is safer(compred to Canelo) and still fight for a belt.

I have to give respect to Khan though. This takes some big balls. I guess after bitching so much to Mayweather and Pacquiao the next big payday is Canelo. If he manages to pull an upset everyone will have to stfu about him though. Just getting in the ring with a guy that much bigger takes major balls. So props to him I guess.

TuXx

Just months ago dude was getting bullied by Chris Algieri. I for the life of me can't understand why this is happening.

Leunam

If Khan wins the world wil end.

He won't win. Or at least, I wouldn't bet on it.

Best we can hope for is that Khan gets his fair share of the highlight reel with some movement and fast hands. If he can make Canelo look stupid here and there I'll be happy.

Top Bottom