• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Tenebrous

Honestly, I'd rather him go back to 140lb and fight for respect moreso than money. He's been bang average at WW, and now he goes into a MW fight he knows he can't win for an easy payday... I just don't respect stuff like that.

Turin

Banned
Honestly, I'd rather him go back to 140lb and fight for respect moreso than money. He's been bang average at WW, and now he goes into a MW fight he knows he can't win for an easy payday... I just don't respect stuff like that.

That's a bit silly. He's still a fighter. He lives that lifestyle. I'm sure he believes he can beat Canelo, delusional as he may be.

David Lemieux was scheduled to fight James De La Rosa tomorrow night in a comeback fight of sorts after losing to GGG.

Well... Lemieux missed the 163lb catchweight by over 2 pounds, weighing in 165.6.

Fight is now off. To be clear, they're still attempting to keep the card somewhat intact by getting a new opponent for David on short notice.

Turin

Banned
I almost want to believe Povetkin has the edge here but I'm pretty sure Deontay fights to the level of his competition to some extent.

abuC

Whatever happened to PBC? It started off great, then we started getting some really crappy fights, now I don't even know when the next network fight will be.

abuC

Wilder will almost certainly be the betting favorite, but it's a super risky fight for him for sure. I could see either winning a decision or either getting knocked out.

Yeah, if Wilder can control distance he should be able to win, he can't let t-rex get inside with those short arms or it could be night night.

I want Wilder to win just because it makes the HW division more entertaining.

IrishNinja

8flSVYg.png

keep seeing this one around

HBO want Brook vs Cotto on June 18 according to Eddie Hearn, he also says he's had talks with Golovkin's team about the possibility of Brook @ 157lbs

Haye's next fight is against Shannon Briggs? Lol

Ward-Barrera tomorrow night on HBO.

If nothing else, it's always great to watch Ward do work and I'm eager to see his LHW debut. Nothing about Barrera is particularly impressive, but I do think he is a game opponent. He's the naturally bigger man and his punch has a lot of pop at 175. Throw in the fact that he's undefeated and has smoked his last five or six opponents, and I think we're going to see a hungry prospect.

Turin

Banned
Ward's still my favorite boxer today so to say I'm itching to see him fight someone with a pulse again is an understatement.

Should be an entertaining fight based on what I've seen of Barrera.

Turin

Banned
Ward was definitely a bit rusty. If he was as sharp as in the Dawson or Rodriguez fight he probably could have stopped Barrera. He also still doesn't seem too comfortable using the Grant gloves he's been trying out.

I enjoyed it though. Like watching Ward dismantle guys.

The ref should have stopped it 2-3 rounds earlier, Eubank Jr was just teeing off on him with next to nothing coming back.

“I Spoke to Nick’s Dad and it’s looking good. He will be back to us in no time. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers. God bless him and you all,” stated Saunders.

Blackwell has been in an induced coma since the early hours of Sunday morning following a ten-round battle with Chris Eubank Jr at the SSE Arena in Wembley. ‘Bang Bang’ put up a brave fight when clearly out-classed by Eubank and was pulled out by doctors towards the end of the contest with a grotesquely swollen eye and broken nose.

And that seems to be the last fight on Channel 5 in the UK? Hennessey Sports and PBC are rumoured to be linking up with ITV who have plans to put boxing back on FTA with 20 shows a year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Broner just wants the cash, he knows he can't beat Floyd.

Turin

Banned
If they have a sparring session I hope they film it.

That'd be a rare situation where even Floyd's detractors will be happy to see him whip the brat.

jayvo

Why? I thought those two were like peas in a pod. Broner and Floyd referred to each other as brothers. I guess Broner got tired of being in Floyd's shadow.

Guess you haven't been following boxing news recently. Floyd had some words for Broner when someone showed him a video of Broner tossing change in the air at Walmart. After Broner heard what Floyd had to say, Broner posted a lengthy video of how he thinks that he may be a threat to Floyd. Then Floyd had some more words after that and honestly I can't be bothered to find a link to all the articles right now.

Long story short, Broner is feeling upset because he thinks Floyd should have reached out to him instead of talking "bad" about him in an interview. That's where it stemmed from.

Guess you haven't been following boxing news recently. Floyd had some words for Broner when someone showed him a video of Broner tossing change in the air at Walmart. After Broner heard what Floyd had to say, Broner posted a lengthy video of how he thinks that he may be a threat to Floyd. Then Floyd had some more words after that and honestly I can't be bothered to find a link to all the articles right now.

Long story short, Broner is feeling upset because he thinks Floyd should have reached out to him instead of talking "bad" about him in an interview. That's where it stemmed from.

True, I haven't followed the sport in a while. Thank you for your candor. That was a short relationship they've had.

link to vid?

If they have a sparring session I hope they film it.

That'd be a rare situation where even Floyd's detractors will be happy to see him whip the brat.
If I was Floyd, and wanted to answer this clown, I'd say meet me at the gym; I'll see you in the ring. Fuck a payday; if you're feelings are that hurt, see me there. Of course it's about the money, so he won't agree to that.

El Topo

Helenius is still alive? Man, he could've had a solid career. Wait, didn't Adamek announce his retirement a while ago?

Wilder vindicated?

He will be truly vindicated if he beats Povetkin. That said, he's beaten solid competition. Szpilka was a good win.

Turin

Banned
Based on what I've seen of them in training, I'm predicting Bradley will do enough to edge it out but Manny might get the benefit of the doubt from the judges on this one.

TimeInc

the Pacqiauo fight feels like it's not even happening, like no build up hardly. I suppose it be in the UK we've got Anthony Joshua fighting for the IBF title same night and Sky are pushing it down our throats.

PR_rambo

Banned
I feel like Manny doesn't want to end up like his idol Oscar De La Hoya, getting beaten up and pushed out of his career as a stepping stone for the up and comer in Terence Crawford. That was the fight everyone wanted to see but alas we settle for the rubber match in a mediocre trilogy.

That being said, I want to salute Manny on the end of an astonishing career. I was one of his more prudent critics but he provided the sport with many memorable moments and fights. My personal favorite would be his obliteration of Ricky Hatton. I'll also think fondly of his rivalries with Mexican Boxing Legends Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez.

ESPN recently rated him as #2 pvp in the last 25 years ( I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH RANKING HIM AHEAD OF GUYS LIKE JCC, Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins BTW) and it just goes to show how the masses appreciated his fighting style and ability. Good luck to him tonight and in the future!

I feel like Manny doesn't want to end up like his idol Oscar De La Hoya, getting beaten up and pushed out of his career as a stepping stone for the up and comer in Terence Crawford. That was the fight everyone wanted to see but alas we settle for the rubber match in a mediocre trilogy.

That being said, I want to salute Manny on the end of an astonishing career. I was one of his more prudent critics but he provided the sport with many memorable moments and fights. My personal favorite would be his obliteration of Ricky Hatton. I'll also think fondly of his rivalries with Mexican Boxing Legends Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez.

ESPN recently rated him as #2 pvp in the last 25 years ( I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH RANKING HIM AHEAD OF GUYS LIKE JCC, Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins BTW) and it just goes to show how the masses appreciated his fighting style and ability. Good luck to him tonight and in the future!

Don't forget Sweet Pea.

Apparently Crawford vs. Postol has been made, HBO PPV on July 23.

WBO and WBC (and Ring Magazine) 140lb championship unification.

Also according to Fat Dan "Arum says that on July 23 PPV topped by Crawford he is going to have Roberto Duran and Chavez Sr. box a 2-rd exhibition. Just for fun."

Gotta be bullshit right?

Conor Benn debut.

His father was a decent enough fighter.

Body shots ended it, Nigel jumped straight in the ring with a big grin.

Fucking hell, David Haye looks like he's been living in a cave and just found his way out.

Ain't he fighting Briggs? That'll be a mismatch.

George Groves next. Groves won, body shot to the solar plexus finished it.

y95y7c6jdcaakrv.gif

Top Bottom