• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Thurman telegraphing his punches from 3000 miles away. I am really surprised how wide he is swinging but even more surprised that he has connected so much

BadAss2961

Thurman telegraphing his punches from 3000 miles away. I am really surprised how wide he is swinging but even more surprised that he has connected so much
Porter comes in wildly and will get hit a lot. He's more than willing to take punishment to get inside and go to work.

Close fight... Unless someone finishes really strong, either camp will feel robbed.

PR_rambo

Banned
Too many times, we get these fights where two guys just swing like some drunks at a bar, and people exaggerate like OMG THIZ IZ REAL BOXING. No it aint, its entertaining, but its too sloppy to be called boxing.

Tonight THAT ACTUALLY WAS BOXING, loved seeing the footwork, the uppercuts being thrown in the clinch, the bodywork applied by Porter. We got a rare treat, two hard hitters who also boxed. Two warriors who are actually of some quality. That's the kind of fight the public deserves,

I had Porter winning, but have no issue with the Champ getting the discount. Rematch ASAP, don't wait a year, get this shit back on in the fall!

jchap

Fight of the year. The fight was exactly what boxing needs. I wish more young fighters in their prime were willing to take on each other like this.

Tom_Cody

OFSUEux.jpg

oMa1Jut.jpg

Jacobs calling Golovkin out on twitter now that his fight with Eubank is almost certainly happening. This is the same guy who just weeks ago when GGG didn't have an opponent lined up said he would fight him in 2018 😂

Jacobs calling Golovkin out on twitter now that his fight with Eubank is almost certainly happening. This is the same guy who just weeks ago when GGG didn't have an opponent lined up said he would fight him in 2018 😂

Dudes waiting until GGG is booked up to call him out then quickly hiding behind "when the time is right" when he ain't is informally known as the Golovkin cycle.

TheCrow

wtf, did Hearn fuck the Eubanks or what?

Just yesterday they said everything was agreed and was waiting for Matchroom so he could sign the contract.

Supposedly Brook was offered the same contract that Eubanks had. Last I heard they were waiting on Eubanks to sign but Eubanks Sr was already complaining about pay.

Anyone following those negotiations knew that Eubank, Jr. didn't want the fight - he wanted the publicity. He said himself that he wants to defend domestically and take a shot at a world title in a year or more. The guy was contradicting himself left and right. He has a promising domestic brand and didn't want to spoil it with a KO - reading between the lines of his nonsense should have been easy for anyone who has followed the sport in recent years.

That being said, I'm not sure how anyone can say this is a "great fight." It isn't. Matchups like these are bad for the sport. Brook is large for his weight class and is strong for 147 but even struggled to make Porter respect his power. Golovkin has knocked out much bigger and more dangerous men by eating their shots to create openings. Brook has nothing to offer.

EDIT: For what it's worth, word in the ether is that the Eubanks turned it down. Loeffler offered the same term sheet to Hearn and Brook's team accepted.

Tom_Cody

GGG vs. Brook is a great fight though.
Are you for real?

Anyone following those negotiations knew that Eubank, Jr. didn't want the fight - he wanted the publicity. He said himself that he wants to defend domestically and take a shot at a world title in a year or more. The guy was contradicting himself left and right. He has a promising domestic brand and didn't want to spoil it with a KO - reading between the lines of his nonsense should have been easy for anyone who has followed the sport in recent years.

That being said, I'm not sure how anyone can say this is a "great fight." It isn't. Matchups like these are bad for the sport.
Agreed.

Brook is going to make a few million, get knocked out, and then try to argue that it was a forgivable loss when he moves back down to 147.

3Sixty

Listened to a Hearn interview and he says Eubank wanted to control the whole show including setting ticket prices, got told to jog on and the Brook fight made instead.

It's a huge fight but can't see past a Ggg late stoppage.

Turin

Banned
I couldn't believe it when I read it. Khan at least had a shadow of a chance against Canelo. Brook has no conceivable path to victory in this match up. The damage this could do to him and his future as a boxer isn't worth the few million he's going to make.

Tom_Cody

Listened to a Hearn interview and he says Eubank wanted to control the whole show including setting ticket prices, got told to jog on and the Brook fight made instead.

It's a huge fight but can't see past a Ggg late stoppage.
I think you're being generous.

Top Bottom