• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

smurfx

get some go again
BigKaboom2 said:
Find me the guy who can hang with Pacquiao then. Mayweather and that's about it.
rsww3n.jpg

here's one. he even beat pacquiao twice! fuck the judges!

smurfx said:
here's one. he even beat pacquiao twice! fuck the judges!
You make it sound like at least one of them was an actual win. :lol

We'll see how he does against Mayweather, I don't see him getting another shot at Pacquiao if he loses that one.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
As a big Marquez what concerns me is that he maybe slowing down a bit. He took quite a few shots during the course of the Diaz fight and that doesnt bode well if there is a rematch. Manny seems to be improving to me. As for the Marquez-Mayweather fight I think its a win win for Marquez but the fight is at 145. Marquez has not been at the weight before. I agree that Mayweather carefully chooses his fights.

puebla

BigKaboom2 said:
You make it sound like at least one of them was an actual win. :lol

We'll see how he does against Mayweather, I don't see him getting another shot at Pacquiao if he loses that one.
which would be a shame since he deserves another shot at him, and his chances of beating floyd are slim.

cvxfreak

Just spent two hours at Manny's VIP balcony at the afterparty. So much free booze. :D

He looks like he didn't even fight! Got my usual photo with him, too.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Gotta give credit to Freddi Roach. He totally read Hatton inside/out, told Manny to catch him with his right hook. Manny caught him with right hook for an easy KD in the first round. He kept using that right hook, once Hatton started expecting it, he did a feint with his right and then came down with that vicious left hook to end fight. Roach was so sure that Hatton had nothing for Pacman that his prediction was a 3rd round KO, he missed by one second :lol

I saw an extremely fast Pacquiao in this fight, on par with Mayweather at least. I'm no fanboy, but it wouldn't surprise me if Pacquiao scores a KO against Mayweather. Of course PBF could do the same, who knows... But still my money is on the Pacman if that fight ever happens. :D

pollo

Banned
It'd be extremely arrogant to do a fight in Manila, but doing so would have huge implications for the sports- two fighters battling it out for the pound for pound.

First, Mayweather's got to take care of business...JMM looks like a serious challenge from him. Although JMM looks like it would be a tougher match for the Pacman because it'd be another grinder, but it's been done before and I want to get to Mayweather ASAP.

yuna55

Everyone knows Hatton could hang with Pacquiao had he actually had the restraint to take it to him with patience instead of rushing in like an idiot.

Rematch

Esperado

I give all the credit to Pacquiao in the world, but this was really a poor performance by Hatton. He didn't show any signs of his training with Mayweather Sr. No head movement, his guard stayed down, and he kept on coming in to take more punishment. It was almost similar to the Mayweather fight the way Hatton kept coming in, but Pacquiao seemed a lot more comfortable under the "pressure." I'm not sure it even fazed him.

harSon

Banned
Watching the fight again, I see a lot of holes in Manny's defense, Hatton obviously wasn't quick enough to exploit this though. There were some great openings in the first round but it's going to take someone with much quicker hand speed to take advantage of.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
harSon said:
Watching the fight again, I see a lot of holes in Manny's defense, Hatton obviously wasn't quick enough to exploit this though. There were some great openings in the first round but it's going to take someone with much quicker hand speed to take advantage of.
The holes could have been a deliberate part of the strategy against Hatton specifically though, which seems credible considering Hatton's style.

harSon

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
The holes could have been a deliberate part of the strategy against Hatton specifically though, which seems credible considering Hatton's style.

I've seen more then one Pacquiao, the same holes were open in past matches but he hasn't really fought anyone outside of Marquez whose been able to exploit them. He's shown issue with defensive counter punchers so it will be interesting to see how he fares against them in the future.

Sort of Off Topic but I'd like to see Andre Berto get another trainer, I think he's a trainer away from dominating the sport.

I wish the fight could have lasted atleast a few more rounds but it was still nice watching hatton get rocked. Did anyone notice how they gave pacquiao a TKO? Shit looked like a KO to me, no biggie though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
lennedsay said:
Everyone knows Hatton could hang with Pacquiao had he actually had the restraint to take it to him with patience instead of rushing in like an idiot.

Rematch
It was a huge mistake to rush Pacquiao.
Live and learn i suppose.

Quazar

puebla said:
Cotto next for Pacquiao – Arum

http://mb.com.ph/articles/204728/cotto-next-pacquiao-arum

really ballsy of Bob Arum and Pac. i hope Cotto can get past Clottey.

Not surprised. Whether it's Cotto/Mayweather vs. Manny it'll be a great fight. So what happens if Clottey wins though? And where is Mosley in all of this? Better yet what happens if JMM wins against Mayweather? One thing for sure is Berto will be watching a lot of fights.

harSon

Banned
Quazar said:
Not surprised. Whether it's Cotto/Mayweather vs. Manny it'll be a great fight. So what happens if Clottey wins though? And where is Mosley in all of this? Better yet what happens if JMM wins against Mayweather? One thing for sure is Berto will be watching a lot of fights.

He needs a new trainer, his defense is severely in its current form which will only get him destroyed when fighting the elite fighters you've named. I just read an article a few days ago about Mosley, he's basically being ignored by all parties :lol http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dwyre-pacquiao1-2009may01,0,3467764.column

puebla

Quazar said:
i doubt they would put Manny up against Clottey, too much risk, too little reward. i don't think they want to fight Shane either. there's so many great fights that can be made around the ww divisions. i'm just happy right now. :D

XiaNaphryz

Roach on Mayweather Jr.:

The problem with Mayweather is that he signed Friday to fight Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18. The move surprised the Pacquiao camp, who say they are unlikely to rest until the super-fight.

"A busy fighter is a good fighter, we're not going to wait around," Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach said. "Mayweather just had to wait one day and this fight could've happened. I think he's scared of Manny."

Privately, the Pacquiao camp said Mayweather Jr. harmed his leverage in future Pacquiao negotiations -- perhaps for a bout early next year -- by agreeing to fight Marquez in a bout expected to struggle for pay-per-view buys.

XiaNaphryz

BakedPigeon said:
Wouldnt you want to fight someone after being gone for nearly two years before you took on pacquaio?
Sure, but it's always funny to see Roach try to stir shit up. :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
could just be Arum shit talking. I doubt cotto would like drain himself to make 140lbs, which is the weight Roach mentioned Pacquiao is most comfortable at. At 147lbs, I see a really tough fight for Pacquiao against Cotto...

Of course in a Cotto/Pac fight, Arum would be the sole promoter and he will most likely make a shitload of money out of it. Floyd should've just waited a day and try to pursue a fight against Pac instead of signing for that Marquez fight.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Shawnwhann said:
As much as I like Pacman, I can't see him beating Mayweather. Floyd's speed, defense, and counter-punching should eek out a split decision.

10-2 on the rounds, Pretty Boy UD. Doesn't need to do anything else.

Quazar

Golden Boy launches monthly boxing series
Ring said:
Golden Boy Promotions is launching a new monthly boxing series that will be televised on the VERSUS cable network and streamed live on the internet, beginning on June 11, the Los Angeles-based promotional company announced with series partner AEG on Friday.

The series, called "Fight Night Club", will take place at Club Nokia at LA LIVE across the street from STAPLES Center in downtown Los Angeles and will feature up-and-coming prospects in an upscale and intimate club setting.

The monthly club show will not only be televised nationally on VERSUS (9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT) but it will be streamed live (and archived) on RingTV.com and Yahoo! Boxing, and thus be available to fight fans worldwide in an on-demand basis.

"'Fight Night Club' will focus on the future stars of this game and will show everyone just how champions are made," said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "Some of the best fights I've ever seen have taken place at small club shows and now we have the opportunity to bring those fights to the world."

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/651/golden_boy_launches_monthly_boxing_series/

Roach wants Pacquiao to have interim fight
Ring said:
Freddie Roach, Manny Pacquiao’s trainer, wants the boxer to have an interim fight this summer before he faces the winner of Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Juan Manuel Marquez or another big-name opponent at year’s end.

Roach believes an interim fight would keep Pacquiao sharp for whatever comes his way. The Filipino’s quick demolition of Ricky Hatton means he has fought less than two rounds since he stopped Oscar De La Hoya last December.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/647/roach_wants_pacquiao_to_have_interim_fight/

Also Chad Dawson vs. Antonio Tarver 9:30EST tonight.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Watching Dawson Vs Tarver right now...pretty...boring actually. I like both guys unlike 99% of boxing fans. Dawson reminds me of Calzaghe and since I like that style I guess I'll I'm pulling for him.

EDIT. Yeah so far Tarver didn't do dick. Dawson could KO him.
EDIT2. Tarver got rocked in this round. Dawson is looking great in this fight. I want a KO!

Kellerman instead of Merchant never ceases to bring joy.

This fight has been pretty solid so far.

edit: Wow, some big shots in round 7.

Top Bottom