• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I gave all rounds to Dawson except round 7. It's a shutout.

EDIT. Tarver woke up. Wow. Looking for the KO is what he should do but fucking McGirt told him not to.

WHAT THE FUCK

I thought it was a lot closer than that but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the judges had. A lot of really close rounds.

edit: 116-112 sounds about right. I thought that was a great fight but it didn't have the excitement or KO potential that a lot of people want. I'm used to all the fights I enjoy getting a lukewarm reaction by now :lol .

Lampley always seems bored by any fights with a lot of defense on display. I like his PBP but really he's constantly bashing guys who have a good "reputation" when they don't finish spectularly within 7 rounds. Kind of getting on my nerves.

pollo

Banned
Sorry, Dawson Tarver was a snooze fest.

http://sports.inquirer.net/professi...203776/Pacman-Hatton-monster-pay-per-view-hit

Exceeding everyone’s expectations, the fight—which Pacquiao won by knockout late in the second round to wrest Hatton’s International Boxing Organization light welterweight crown—drew anywhere from 1.6 million to 2 million PPV buys, according to the USA Today newspaper.

The fight’s co-promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, had earlier projected sales of about 800,000 due to the world financial crisis.

Initial sales reports from cable firms, however, indicated that PPV buys was already over the 1.6 million mark, which would make the Pacquiao-Hatton duel the fourth biggest ever in boxing annals.

The Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather Jr. battle in 2007 remains the all-time PPV top draw with 2.4 million buys.

i'll believe it when i see it. Filipino newspapers saying it drew 1.6-2 mil

cthoaa

Dawson kinda blew it and I feel it showed in his demeanor afterwards. It was like a freeroll for him: no one really wanted to see him fight Tarver again, but since it had to happen because of a rematch clause, he could have used this fight to showcase himself before a bigger audience and maybe stop a guy who'se never been stopped. After the first few rounds, I thought it might eventually come, but the fight just kept extending and Tarver began to look good in spots. Overall, I liked it more than I thought I would, but I was also expecting a more conclusive result.

This was Dawson's first fight under a two-fight contract with HBO. The network executives can't be too impressed. The commentators sure weren't. "Maybe a B+ fighter in a C division." - Kellerman

Quazar

cthoaa said:
Dawson kinda blew it and I feel it showed in his demeanor afterwards. It was like a freeroll for him: no one really wanted to see him fight Tarver again, but since it had to happen because of a rematch clause, he could have used this fight to showcase himself before a bigger audience and maybe stop a guy who'se never been stopped. After the first few rounds, I thought it might eventually come, but the fight just kept extending and Tarver began to look good in spots. Overall, I liked it more than I thought I would, but I was also expecting a more conclusive result.

This was Dawson's first fight under a two-fight contract with HBO. The network executives can't be too impressed. The commentators sure weren't. "Maybe a B+ fighter in a C division." - Kellerman

Honestly, I'm glad this shit with Tarver is done with. Tarver is just a boring opponent. It's not like Dawson cant move down or someone move up.

pollo

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
i've heard that Arum wants Paq to fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. :lol

I'm hearing Cotto still @ a catch. Pac needs to stick to someone in his weight division or be a man and fight him at 1-4-7

TheCardPlayer

XiaNaphryz said:
Any thoughts on Ward-Miranda this coming weekend?
I really like Miranda. He's a puncher and there's a lack of those nowadays. I think he's underrated because of his losses but remember, he lost to great guys.

So I'll definitely be rooting for La Pantera this weekend. Can he beat Ward? We'll see.

Any feeds of Ward vs Miranda in the UK?

Really interested to see whether Ward can step up and dispel the perception that he is simply a hype-job.

168 is a pretty exciting division at the moment!

Rumours are that Bute and Froch are in discussions for a unification fight, which would be very interesting - as much as I like Frochys attitude, I think Bute would be favourite for a wide UD (although he tired against Andrade and should have lost, so a repeat of Froch Taylor would be very possible too)

cthoaa

XiaNaphryz said:
Any thoughts on Ward-Miranda this coming weekend?
I am going to this later. I like Edison and wish him well in pretty much all his fights, but I feel he's gonna be pretty stuck here vs. Ward. If Ward fights young and confident and maybe even a little bit careless (carefree?), I think the fight's easy breezy for him because Miranda's loopy punches won't get there in time to punish the kinds of mistakes Ward makes. If Ward gets intimidated and starts moving backwards instead of darting around the ring or holding in close, that's where I see Miranda pouncing and hurting him.

I would have it 60% Ward decision, 20% Miranda KO, 20% Ward stoppage as Miranda tires late. Am I underestimating Miranda? I found his two fights following the KO against Abraham a little underwhelming. His last one was less than two months ago and he was at 178+ pounds for that weigh-in. (He was 167.75 yesterday.)

Quazar said:
Friday night fights coming up on ESPN2 9EST
I watched the heavyweight fight and the fight afterwards. Johnson seemed like a light hitter for a guy of his size/build. The fight was good for a low-level brawl between prospects, but hearing them built up as contenders hurt my ears and heart a little. During the swing fight, I got hungry after all the fast food, half-cooked burger talk and left to get something to eat. I caught the last round which was equal parts sloppy, dramatic, and entertaining.

Quazar

cthoaa said:
I watched the heavyweight fight and the fight afterwards. Johnson seemed like a light hitter for a guy of his size/build. The fight was good for a low-level brawl between prospects, but hearing them built up as contenders hurt my ears and heart a little. During the swing fight, I got hungry after all the fast food, half-cooked burger talk and left to get something to eat. I caught the last round which was equal parts sloppy, dramatic, and entertaining.

:lol :lol

I just noticed Kermit Cintron vs. Alfredo Angulo as the under card for tonight. What a crazy fight that will be! Is Angulo really ready for someone like Cintron? Either way I'm stoked for the fights tonight.

9EST Showtime for those interested.

Whoops Cintron and Angulo aren't fighting tonight. My mistake!

Esperado

From what I've been reading it kind of sounds like Roach might be trying to avoid the Mayweather fight, which I don't think makes much sense. It would no doubt be the biggest fight of Pacman and Mayweather's careers, and it would rake in the cash. I mean there is definitely a possibility that Mayweather wins, but the same can be said for Pacquiao, and he would probably relish the thought of beating the undefeated Floyd. If I had to guess either way I would say that Pacquiao has a greater chance of winning because there's always the chance he could catch Floyd with a big punch, and I think he would push the fight and get more rounds to ultimately win a decision. Then again, Floyd is known to dismantle big punchers. Pacquiao could end up walking in to counter jabs and hooks all night.

This is all of course, assuming that Mayweather beats Marquez. Let's just hope he's less focused on a potential fight with Pacquiao than I am.

don't know why but I think Winky Wright after Watching Ward tonight.

In terms of tight defense? I know Ward doesn't have one-punch power, but it seems the Miranda fight was a clear win.

Ward could be an interesting test for Froch - another case of a pure boxer against a fighter.

Quazar

gollumsluvslave said:
In terms of tight defense? I know Ward doesn't have one-punch power, but it seems the Miranda fight was a clear win.

Ward could be an interesting test for Froch - another case of a pure boxer against a fighter.

Yea, it was a clear win over Miranda. It just seems like he'll be more of a point grabber than anything else against top fighters. Miranda really sucked in that fight. I expected more power punches/combos from him.

cthoaa

Ward's okay, but too eager to show how versatile he can be, I think. He showed various skills, gave different looks and switched them up plenty, but there was a lack of polish -- a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of thing. I don't know what his dominant, "go-to" style is going to be. In crunchtime he seemed to hold plenty and sneak in a combination, clean or otherwise, so I think pointgrabbing is about right.

It's a good win for him, and obviously his highest profile fight as a pro. I think Miranda was game, but other than some hard fouls in the beginning and a few rough patches here and there, I don't think he was too great of a challenge, especially on the technical end of things. I don't know the punch stats, but even if Miranda did have good workrate, his aggression was largely ineffective.

-I go to a few baseball games each year at the Coliseum, but that was my first time inside the arena since I was young and Jason Kidd was in college some 15+ years ago. (Makes me feel old.) It's nicer than I thought it'd be.

10pd92s.jpg

-This was our view. We were the fourth row out and first elevated seats, but there's an aisle separating the first three rows and us. They were good seats but people on either side of us were either famous or just really popular because people kept stopping to talk them and it caused traffic to back up, impeding our view.

27ys4n9.jpg

-There were apparently lots of football players and local music talent in attendance, but I don't really know anything about that. Chris Arreola was out early and the crowd to get pictures with him was bigger than everyone else. With his clothes on, he doesn't look fat at all -- just really, really solid. There's this one guy who is a mainstay of fights in Vegas, he's always in the ring as promoter or agent and he's looks like a young Winky Wright? He's the black guy on the bottom, sitting back and to Chris' left. (My pictures are bad,lol.)

-During the national anthem there was a fat dude across the arena who began singing unbelievably loud (kinda impressive, actually) and was a little ahead of the performer which made the performer, a local artist, seem like he was singing backup vocals. I thought the guy might have been autistic or something because he was shouting to himself before the anthem and for a long while afterwards. It turned out he was just a jerk; security sat on him and he was quiet the rest of the night.

-The round card girls were cute and flirty, but one girl seemed like she didn't want to be there. The other girls were typical and took their time, spending a few seconds smiling and posing at each of the four sides. But the one girl (she had really bronzed skin, might have been latina) bolted around the ring, lapping it in like five seconds; it was very obvious and funny. Showtime loves showing the girls before the bell to start the round (mostly ShoBox, not so much SCB) so it's too bad the fight wasn't on HBO if she wanted to avoid the spotlight.

x1hhee.jpg
5upjdz.jpg

-This was a cool moment when some of the athletes in attendance were introduced to the crowd. Rickey Henderson obviously got the biggest ovation. Nonito Donaire is here somewhere and Chris Arreola was introduced last.

-Miranda's entrance music was very striking and fun.

-I guess I can't have followed Ward too closely because I had honestly no idea what "S.O.G." was. There were lots of signs and shirts and I had thought it was "(something) Original Gangster". When I found it was it was "Son of God" I thought it was kinda arrogant, maybe even blasphemous. I was told the meaning is closer to "one of God's children/followers" which is far more palatable than what I initially thought.

-Miranda was roughhousing Ward in the beginning, but Ward eventually committed more infractions, I thought. Lots of his punches looked to stray low and he regularly got his gloves and forearms in Miranda's face.

-I think it was round 8 where they fought half the round in a neutral corner? It was great, my favorite part of the fight.

-When Ward was over and it was ruled a slip, he got up really slowly. The smile on his face was one of the "I'm not really hurt" variety, so I think he may have been put down. Didn't get to see a replay.

-I remember two fighters from the recent fights in San Jose, Rico Ramos and Karim Mayfield. They both had matches after the main event, but I'd say 80% of the people were up and leaving. From what I saw, Ramos again showed nice-looking offense. Mayfield has a cool name, good look, and he fought like he was Shane Mosely if Shane didn't have a left arm. (Overhand right, right hand whip, again and again.) They both earned clean stoppages to send people home.

-Miranda's corner might get busted for trying to use a foreign substance during the fight.

cthoaa

Esperado said:
From what I've been reading it kind of sounds like Roach might be trying to avoid the Mayweather fight, which I don't think makes much sense. It would no doubt be the biggest fight of Pacman and Mayweather's careers, and it would rake in the cash. I mean there is definitely a possibility that Mayweather wins, but the same can be said for Pacquiao, and he would probably relish the thought of beating the undefeated Floyd. If I had to guess either way I would say that Pacquiao has a greater chance of winning because there's always the chance he could catch Floyd with a big punch, and I think he would push the fight and get more rounds to ultimately win a decision. Then again, Floyd is known to dismantle big punchers. Pacquiao could end up walking in to counter jabs and hooks all night.

This is all of course, assuming that Mayweather beats Marquez. Let's just hope he's less focused on a potential fight with Pacquiao than I am.
I think they've been looking at Pacquiao-Cotto first, not because they're trying to get away from the Mayweather fight, but because Top Rank wants to get as much as they can from Cotto before he leaves. If everything went their way, Top Rank would be reap the rewards from both Pacquiao-Cotto (essentially fully promoted) and Mayweather-Pacquiao (co-promoters). Even just talking about Pacquiao-Cotto would keep Floyd honest at the negotiation table as the fight could slip away from him if Manny lost.

I love watching Mayweather's fights and him vs. Pacquiao would be the most significant fight of the decade, but it'd be a shame if Pacquiao-JMM III didn't happen. Juan Manuel has to become Sith or something and draw from his hate for Manny to get past floyd. (My impression has been that he doesn't like Pacquiao too much.)

Quazar

-I think it was round 8 where they fought half the round in a neutral corner? It was great, my favorite part of the fight.

Yea, that was exciting.

-When Ward was over and it was ruled a slip, he got up really slowly. The smile on his face was one of the "I'm not really hurt" variety, so I think he may have been put down. Didn't get to see a replay.

I don't remember a replay. But I thought the same as you.

Looks like you enjoyed this fight more than that last one you went too.

-During the national anthem there was a fat dude across the arena who began singing unbelievably loud (kinda impressive, actually) and was a little ahead of the performer which made the performer, a local artist, seem like he was singing backup vocals. I thought the guy might have been autistic or something because he was shouting to himself before the anthem and for a long while afterwards. It turned out he was just a jerk; security sat on him and he was quiet the rest of the night.

This is just funny as hell. :lol

pollo

Banned
check out ESPN Sportscenter right now..another classic BK vs Mayweather showdown. Hilarious. Part1 is done, part 2 coming up.

cthoaa

I think it could be okay, not because both guys are so great, but because their weaknesses play into the other's strengths.

Berto really struggled when Collazo got inside and that's where Urango likes to be. Berto's good when he's in the clear and can throw his combinations. Urango's really slow so Berto will get off and a lot of punches will get through the lazy defense. Urango's chin has at least been tested vs. Hatton and will keep him in there for a while; Berto's is a little questionable. It's Urango's first fight at 147 whereas Berto is comfortable at the weight and is the bigger man. (Even though the pic might make it look otherwise.)

rvdl3o.jpg

Advantage to the guy that can work around his deficiencies, but as long as both guys stay true to form, it's a decent pairing. A little disappointing for Berto considering there could have been a rematch with Collazo or a defense vs. a proven welterweight, but maybe the last fight scared his promoters into slowing things down. I'm a little more interested in Angulo-Cintron, though. Angulo's being moved along and I've soured on Cintron so much in the last year. I think he'll be in tears again when his fight is over.

Quazar

Yea, Angulo/Cintron is what has me excited. Still kind of ballsy fight for Angulo IMO, despite Cintron sucking atm. Should be a great night.

Andre Berto (24-0-0, 19 KOs) vs. Juan Urango (21-1-1, 16 KOs)

12 Rounds - Welterweight Division

Kermit Cintron (30-2-0, 27 KOs) vs. Alfredo Angulo (14-0-0, 11 KOs)

12 Rounds - Jr. Middleweight Division

Yusaf Mack (27-2-2, 16 KOs) vs. DeAndrey Abron (15-4-0, 10 KOs)

10 Rounds - Light Heavyweight Division

Not sure if I've seen this Abron guy yet.

edit: Angulo in camp http://www.ringtv.com/video/alfredo_angulo_in_camp/

cthoaa

I saw the whole show late. I always thought Angulo's S&M collar looked bad, but it's even worse when they're announcing the other guy as the winner. Cintron looked like a million bucks in the early rounds working behind the jab. I thought he was going to let the fight slip away and maybe get stopped in the late rounds as Angulo really got to his body and wore him down with pressure, but Cintron managed to hold on. And speaking of holding on...

Berto-Urango was horrible. Urango's fight vs. Hatton also degenerated into a hugfest, but in the spots where Ricky opted to hold, I thought Berto would use his strength to push and get separation. Instead, Berto was content to throw one shot, then fall in. It was bad, and I couldn't believe all the posturing and stuff Andre was saying afterwards.

cthoaa

Haye pulls out of Klitschko fight

David Haye has been forced to pull out of his proposed heavyweight title clash with Wladimir Klitschko through injury.

The British hope suffered the problem in training ahead of the eagerly-anticipated bout, which is to be screened live on Setanta.

It will be a heartbreaking blow for Haye, who championed long and hard for the opportunity to shake up the division by taking on the best in the business.

His controversial tactics in goading the Klitschko brothers into action caused a stir but, ultimately, it secured him his crack at Wladimir on June 20.

An independent verification of the injury is required before a decision on the future of the fight can be confirmed and a new date fixed for the Schalke showdown.
It's the second big opponent that's had to pull out vs. Wlad in the last few months. (Povetkin's foot injury forced him out of their fight last December.)

There's a little less lead time in this case, but they should be able to find a replacement. Hopefully, the amount of paid attendees (~70,000) will make the matchmakers feel pressured into selecting a good opponent.

cthoaa

Part of Pacquiao's acceptance speech after receiving the Edward J. Neil Trophy for Boxer of the Year as awarded by the Boxing Writers Association of America. Other winners included Freddie Roach (Eddie Futch-John F. X. Condon Award - Trainer of the Year), Joe Calzaghe (Al Buck Award - Manager of the Year), and Vazquez-Marquez III (Fight of the Year).

There was a bit of back and forth throughout the week as to whether or not Manny would attend the ceremony, but after making it to New York he is also supposed to be ringside at MSG with Bob Arum and other Top Rank brass for Cotto-Clottey tonight.

wlrebq.jpg
2iqn0he.jpg

Official weights: Cotto 146, Clottey 147.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Checklist:

1) HDTV
2) AC
3) Alcohol
4) Friends
5) Bets on Cotto by Decision

Ok... I am all set for tonight =D

TheCardPlayer

I like both guys and this could go either way. Clottey is underrated and needs this win to get mainstream attention. Cotto, well he's Cotto. He's probably going to UD Clottey but you never know!

Quazar

Surprised no one posted this yet:

Freddy Roach to train Cuban Stars, Rigondeaux and Johnson

Very nice pick ups. Rigondeaux is scaaaaaary.

Top Bottom