• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Clottey just did not throw enough punches to win this fight... and its a shame the right was landing at will.

Cotto by... 1-2 points.

Its either gonna be a draw or cotto victory.... clottey was a little bitch this fight... knee injury my fucking ass. I personally think clottey won it.

116-111... what a fucking crime.

Im okay with cotto winning it though, it was certainly a close fight.

I am however sick and tired of hearing these announcers say over and over "cotto has so much heart, so much courage". Every single fucking boxer would keep going on a cut as long as the doctor does not stop it. Maybe im a little overboard but that shit annoys me to no end.

DarienA

BakedPigeon said:

I am however sick and tired of hearing these announcers say over and over "cotto has so much heart, so much courage". Every single fucking boxer would keep going on a cut as long as the doctor does not stop it. Maybe im a little overboard but that shit annoys me to no end.

Agreed, few boxers are going to actually WANT to quit.

Hopefully Clottey will get more big name fights, he deserves it... he just needs once again to f'n up his punch rate....

Compubox shows it's a total joke. Clottey blocked virtually all of Cotto's meaningful shots, except for the one round where he was stuck in the corner the whole time. I'm still not convinced that most judges look for anything but punch count.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This fight redefined...

Epic and Manhood! Both were handicapped... though Clottey managed to shake it off. Not so much Cotto, and I am pretty sure if it wasn't for that cut the fight would have gone to his advantage... BUT... thanks to it we all got an epic fight were boxers alternated rounds.

I have to say. 116-111 was a joke, I had it 115-114 for Cotto since he took the last round. But 116-111 was a joke. Cotto would have won nevertheless, since he took 1 point of that final judge... then we have the one that gave it to Clottey, it depended if the 116-111 guy had at least vision. To me, Cotto won. He fought damn hard, managed to hang on, and weathered the storm and the past (i had flashbacks of the Margarito fight at points). He even duked out at points for fuck's sake!!! =D!!

I don't know how any can say Clottey was robbed... maybe I am biased because i am puertorrican, but to me Cotto won. 116-111 was ridiculous though :lol . I recorded the fight, it will go into my classic fights collection. That shit was epic.

Relix said:
This fight redefined...

Epic and Manhood! Both were handicapped... though Clottey managed to shake it off. Not so much Cotto, and I am pretty sure if it wasn't for that cut the fight would have gone to his advantage... BUT... thanks to it we all got an epic fight were boxers alternated rounds.

I have to say. 116-111 was a joke, I had it 115-114 for Cotto since he took the last round. But 116-111 was a joke. Cotto would have won nevertheless, since he took 1 point of that final judge... then we have the one that gave it to Clottey, it depended if the 116-111 guy had at least vision. To me, Cotto won. He fought damn hard, managed to hang on, and weathered the storm and the past (i had flashbacks of the Margarito fight at points). He even duked out at points for fuck's sake!!! =D!!

I don't know how any can say Clottey was robbed... maybe I am biased because i am puertorrican, but to me Cotto won. 116-111 was ridiculous though :lol . I recorded the fight, it will go into my classic fights collection. That shit was epic.

You dont honestly believe Clottey hurt his knee do you?

I'm surprised Clottey managed to get 7 rounds on one of the cards knowing how the judges score. I saw the 116-111 coming and thought it might've gone even worse in that direction. The only rounds I knew Clottey would get were the ones where he was getting off first and that was only a few.

I thought it was close, probably 114-113 for Clottey. He really needed to throw more punches. I don't know why he was so relaxed and not doing a whole lot shortly after Cotto got the cut. Killer instinct plz

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BakedPigeon said:
You dont honestly believe Clottey hurt his knee do you?
Well... he was stuck like a pole in Round 5 :lol (or was it 6). Cotto just nailed him for like 2 minutes there. In fact... a judge could have given this an 10-8, a knockdown is not needed for this to happen. I always give them the benefit of doubt... but I say Cotto's handicap was even bigger.

It's also really unfortunate that Cotto got away with a takedown, a rabbit punch, and a low blow without even a warning, much less a deduction.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BigKaboom2 said:
It's also really unfortunate that Cotto got away with a takedown, a rabbit punch, and a low blow without even a warning, much less a deduction.

Here I go... Have you ever boxed before? I was an amateur back when I was like 14 @ my school. Obviously not to this level of stuff... but I can really say stuff like this DOES happen. The takedown was entirely Clottey's fault. He raised his right leg as the clinch too place... or something weird. Before falling and clinching he seemed to shake it off like something happened to it.

The rabbit punch was Cotto expecting for Clottey to quickly turn around, but the guy held his hand. This is a bit shady.. but Mercante Jr (who was FUCKING PISSED AT THE END XD) doesn't deduct points at first, just a warning. The low punch... well Cotto has always aimed low. But a 12 round fight and only one low punch? Pff.

Kingpen

Clottey oversold stuff in this fight. His antics in the 12th were just overselling to try to get that point back he lost in the 1st. The right man won, but it was a close fight for sure.

Plus, I think Clottey lost the scorecards when he simply didn't do shit in the 12th. He could have taken that round and got a draw at least.

I'm looking forward to Cotto vs. Money May or Pac man

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
It was an ok fight. I say it should have been a draw. Both men had there moments during the fight. Clottey should have pressed more in the later rounds. Cotto was just picking his shots but what a defense by Clottey.

puebla

clottey got robbed but at the same time i can't be mad, cotto is a warrior to keep fighting after that bad cut.

The takedown was not Cotto throwing him down at all, he just went to push him away and Clottey happend to flop on his face. Its not like he powerbombed him to the canvas.

I think Clottey also tried to get a point deduction on Cotto for the rabid punch and make it seem a lot worse then it really was. I wanted Clottey to win this fight but the more vagina moves he started to pull the more I did not really care who won.

116 points though? :lol

harSon

Banned
Boxing is so flawed, 116-111 is complete bullshit. I could have lived with a close call in Cotto's favor, despite thinking Clotto won, but 116-111 is some shady shit.

Vestal

BakedPigeon said:

Actually all Cotto had to do was say he couldn't see due to the blood when the doctor asked him in the corner, and No one would have said a thing against him because it was an aweful cut.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
That scoring was.....Wow. Talk about a scam. :lol

It was a close match. A really, really fucking good and close match. It should have been a draw.

USA Today said:
The numbers favored Clottey. While Cotto threw 101 more punches (723), Clottey landed 43 more punches (222), according to CompuBox estimates. Clottey also landed 44 more powerpunches.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2009-06-14-cotto-clottey_N.htm

Ridiculous. ESPN says Clottey landed 23 "impact punches" to Cotto's 9, which they define as "any blow that causes a cut, knockdown or causes the other fighter to stagger, show pain or retreat."

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
there was no robbery whatsoever. Maybe you'd disagree with the scores, but the outcome of the match could've gone either way. I personally think Cotto won, but whatever.

Clottey stopped throwing punches in the last couple of rounds (probably fearing another stiff jab by cotto could knock him down like in the first round) and he was overselling his shit.

I have zero sympathy for Clottey, so I really don't care that he lost.

Oh come on guys, you don't come to MSG on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day parade and eek out a decision against Cotto. You're going to have to win convincingly, and Clottey didn't do that.

It definitely could have gone either way, but I'm not surprised Cotto got the win. Clottey is a force, though, and wtf @ 116-111? Seriously?

DarienA

PapiShasho said:
Oh come on guys, you don't come to MSG on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day parade and eek out a decision against Cotto. You're going to have to win convincingly, and Clottey didn't do that.

It definitely could have gone either way, but I'm not surprised Cotto got the win. Clottey is a force, though, and wtf @ 116-111? Seriously?

Pretty much, and once again that's the problem with boxing. Well one of them..

Top Bottom