• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Beefy

Brook was brilliant, he just stepped up too many weights, GGG is even better and hits like a train, Boxers at middle weight need to step up and actually fight GGG.

I'm not sure anymore. Canelo himself is tough. Sure he may be slower than GGG but he is still strong too. We will never know until they fight each other. They really need to since they are both somewhat in their prime. Let's not get another Pac v Mayweather.

Canelo does nothing better than Golovkin. The fighter who's going to beat Golovkin will be a guy that's more athletic and more technically skilled than him, and outboxes him like Brook was trying to do. The problem with Brook is he's not a great fighter, he's a good fighter.

Although you have to respect Kell for doing what he did, I hope this ends the experiment of certain British fighters moving around weight classes after Khan got destroyed and now Brook has been dispatched.

Bullshit stoppage. He should've completed the round at least. GGG was very vulnerable against Brook here. Whether Brook would go down at some point is irrelevant.

Golovkin took Brook's best shots and shrugged them off, the fight was only going to end one way. Exposing your fighter to more punishment than is necessary is both idiotic and negligent.

I applaud Dominic Ingle for having the balls to do the right thing even though he knew he'd get booed for it.

TheCrow

So all that talk about how looking bad against Brook to entice canelo might not have been just talk. GGG with that next level schemes.

Canelo does nothing better than Golovkin. The fighter who's going to beat Golovkin will be a guy that's more athletic and more technically skilled than him, and outboxes him.

Oh I agree. I got GGG by ko/tko in the later rounds. I'm just saying they really need to fight each other. Canelo needs to stop ducking him. That's the fight fans want. Canelo better not let us down down the line -_-

Although you have to respect Kell for doing what he did, I hope this ends the experiment of certain British fighters moving around weight classes after Khan got destroyed and now Brook has been dispatched.

If you're good enough than you can do it, the problem is Khan and Brook aren't good enough. They hadn't even dominated the welterweight division before jumping up. I don't understand the move, when there's plenty of big names and money to be made in welterweight.

Canelo does nothing better than Golovkin. The fighter who's going to beat Golovkin will be a guy that's more athletic and more technically skilled than him, and outboxes him like Brook was trying to do. The problem with Brook is he's not a great fighter, he's a good fighter.

ggg is 34, canelo would definitely have a chance against him.

TuXx

Suddenly Canelo is a fighter who's quick and can box off his back foot lol

Oh I agree. I got GGG by ko/tko in the later rounds. I'm just saying they really need to fight each other. Canelo needs to stop ducking him. That's the fight fans want. Canelo better not let us down down the line -_-

If you already know Golovkin is going to beat him, and your Canelo's team wouldn't you want to make as much money as you can and wait till the last minute to fight Golovkin after he's gotten older and taken more punishment; giving your fighter the best chance at him.

Syder

It's worrying for Golovkin how many good punches Brook landed but you could see he wasn't being rocked by them at all. Brook was thoroughly outclassed and a rematch would be for money only.

I still think Canelo would get knocked out by Golovkin.

If you're good enough than you can do it, the problem is Khan and Brook aren't good enough. They hadn't even dominated the welterweight division before jumping up. I don't understand the move, when there's plenty of big names and money to be made in welterweight.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a boxing expert but to me it seemed as if Eddie Hearn tried to make the best of the situation once the possibility of Eubank Jr/ GGG fell through. Brook did well in the second round but I feared for him every time GGG got within range or backed him against the ropes.

GGG definitely felt a few of those shots from Brooks. They didn't stun him but he didn't just walk right through them. Generally anytime a fighter acknowledges a shot they took, they felt it.

Brooks might have been able to survive that round but I understand the corners decision. He was just about out on his feet surviving on instinct more than anything else. Watching the round again you can see a big difference in how he's responding to the early swarming attack vs the one that was happening when the towel was thrown. The towel saved him from taking more unessecary damage in my view.

Golovkin took Brook's best shots and shrugged them off, the fight was only going to end one way. Exposing your fighter to more punishment than is necessary is both idiotic and negligent.

I applaud Dominic Ingle for having the balls to do the right thing even though he knew he'd get booed for it.

Brook deserved at least one more round to see if he could dig in and come back. I understand the stoppage though. Brook gained a lot in this loss.

Golovkin has yet to fight a great fighter. He's fighting in a very weak middleweight division and didn't take the chance to fight Andre Ward for p4p number 1 at Super middleweight. Now it's going to be Kovalev vs Ward that's going to determine who's the best fighter of boxing.

Hardly, I don't see Canelo doing anything aside from running like a bitch trying to avoid him at all costs. GGG would handle anyone he's eligible to fight.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a boxing expert but to me it seemed as if Eddie Hearn tried to make the best of the situation once the possibility of Eubank Jr/ GGG fell through. Brook did well in the second round but I feared for him every time GGG got within range or backed him against the ropes.

I understand why they said they did it, but welterweight is stacked with names. Hell Amir Khan vs Kell Brook would've been a massive fight in the UK, and made each of them a ton of money without moving up in weight.

Hardly, I don't see Canelo doing anything aside from running like a bitch trying to avoid him at all costs. GGG would handle anyone he's eligible to fight.

Except Ward who his team dodged like the plague and suddenly decided they only want to focus on unifying the Middleweight division, despite wanting to fight Chavez Jr and Froch at Super Middleweight.

DrunkDan

Regardless of the towel coming in, that wasn't going to last more than a few rounds anyway.

If GGG is walking through your best punches then it's going to be a short fight. It's a shame for Brook but Golovkin is simply too powerful for him. Brook might have put the weight on but he certainly hasn't been hit like that previously.

I'd like to see Brook take Khan on but I think Khan won't fancy it. Khan thinks he's far better than he actually is.

I still hate Hearn though.

I prefer Eddie to his Dad lol!

I understand why they said they did it, but welterweight is stacked with names. Hell Amir Khan vs Kell Brook would've been a massive fight in the UK, and made each of them a ton of money without moving up in weight.

I guess the money on the table was too much to turn down so they cobbled together the best plan b they could. I would love to see Khan vs Brook but Khan has become a bit of a joke IMO over the last few years. Fighting very sporadically, on his own terms and more often than not getting banged out. I don't think he has it in him to face someone like Brook.

If you already know Golovkin is going to beat him, and your Canelo's team wouldn't you want to make as much money as you can and wait till the last minute to fight Golovkin after he's gotten older and taken more punishment; giving your fighter the best chance at him.

Yup and that's exactly what they are doing. Do I blame them? Yes and no. Yes from a business perspective and no from a fan's perspective. A damn shame ain't it lightskintwin? But it's whatever. I don't know if anybody wants to step up to the plate and fight GGG.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Definitely that.

Not necessarily throughout the whole fight but he was stunned from 1-2 punches Brook landed.

Stunned? No. He was never stunned.. but damn he got hit super clean but he never once looked the least bit shaken at all.

It's worrying for Golovkin how many good punches Brook landed but you could see he wasn't being rocked by them at all. Brook was thoroughly outclassed and a rematch would be for money only.

I still think Canelo would get knocked out by Golovkin.

GGG said it himself, early in the 1st he felt Brooks best and had no respect for his punches... he fought a stupid fight trying to KO him quick. If he felt danger he wouldn't have left himself so open.

I agree with Max 100%.... Kell wanted out as much as that was stopped.

Beefy

Regardless of the towel coming in, that wasn't going to last more than a few rounds anyway.

If GGG is walking through your best punches then it's going to be a short fight. It's a shame for Brook but Golovkin is simply too powerful for him. Brook might have put the weight on but he certainly hasn't been hit like that previously.

I'd like to see Brook take Khan on but I think Khan won't fancy it. Khan thinks he's far better than he actually is.

Khan called out Brook when the GGG fight got announced, Khan will now just shut up again.

I prefer Eddie to his Dad lol!

True! still comes off as a slime ball though.

I guess the money on the table was too much to turn down so they cobbled together the best plan b they could. I would love to see Khan vs Brook but Khan has become a bit of a joke IMO over the last few years. Fighting very sporadically, on his own terms and more often than not getting banged out. I don't think he has it in him to face someone like Brook.

Khan has elite talent, but a glass jaw that will forever fail him. Plus his style does him no favors since it's very offense oriented leaving him very liable on defense. If Khan was brought up being trained in a style usually associated with defensive African American fighters that focuses on technical skill, athleticism, and footwork while taking the least amount of punishment, Khan could've very well have hid his glass jaw, still be undefeated, and be a massive superstar. Khan's hand speed is incredible. Such a waste of talent.

Yup and that's exactly what they are doing. Do I blame them? Yes and no. Yes from a business perspective and no from a fan's perspective. A damn shame ain't it lightskintwin? But it's whatever. I don't know if anybody wants to step up to the plate and fight GGG.

It's going to happen next year. The Mexican fanbase won't allow him to go another year without manning up and fighting Golovkin.

akileese

Stunned? No. He was never stunned.. but damn he got hit super clean but he never once looked the least bit shaken at all.

GGG said it himself, early in the 1st he felt Brooks best and had no respect for his punches... he fought a stupid fight trying to KO him quick. If he felt danger he wouldn't have left himself so open.

He definitely wanted out, but it also really looked like he had a fractured orbital or something along those lines. If he couldn't see, it was dangerous sending him out there.

Khan has elite talent, but a glass jaw that will forever fail him. Plus his style does him no favors since it's very offense oriented leaving him very liable on defense. If Khan was brought up being trained in a style usually associated with defensive African American fighters that focuses on technical skill, athleticism, and footwork while taking the least amount of punishment, Khan could've very well have hid his glass jaw, still be undefeated, and be a massive superstar. Khan's hand speed is incredible. Such a waste of talent.

That's an interesting take on Khan. Do you think he was surrounded by the wrong trainers or is he just flawed mentally and not able to stick to instructions/ a game plan?

I used to be quite a big Khan fan (I went to see his fight against Diaz live) but have soured on him quite a bit recently.

On another note, Eddie Hearn was trying to claim Brook was ahead on the scorecards when the fight was stopped! Surely not?!

pulsemyne

You know when a boxer says they were never hurt in a fight what they actually mean is they were hurt. And he was hurt by shots. And as for trying to KO him quick well that is GGG. He has always been open to shots but he has a good chin and relies on pressure and punch power.

No, he go exposed in this fight by a fighter that is normally lower in class. Canelo would beat him.

Canelo isn't Brook and they don't share the same athletic attributes, technical ability, nor fighting style.

Please explain in detail how Canelo would beat Golovkin? Can you list one thing that Canelo does better than Golovkin whether it's a technical skill, athletically, or even an intangible such as having more heart, etc...? I'll wait.

DrunkDan

Khan called out Brook when the GGG fight got announced, Khan will now just shut up again.

Definitely. He's similar to Eubank Jr in that he knows how to play the game for publicity. Straight after this fight ended Eubank Jr tweeted Golovkin saying he wanted the fight and that he team didn't have towels, conviently forgetting that they also don't have pens they can use to sign contracts with either LOL.

GGG said it himself, early in the 1st he felt Brooks best and had no respect for his punches... he fought a stupid fight trying to KO him quick. If he felt danger he wouldn't have left himself so open

Agree. All week he's looked a bit off and tonight he carried the vibe of a man who just wanted to get it done and fuck off home. Once he realised he wasn't going to be seriously hurt he just wanted to march forward and try and knock Brooks head off. After the fight he said Brook wasn't a natural at the weight and the punches were like training.

pulsemyne

That's an interesting take on Khan. Do you think he was surrounded by the wrong trainers or is he just flawed mentally and not able to stick to instructions/ a game plan?

I used to be quite a big Khan fan (I went to see his fight against Diaz live) but have soured on him quite a bit recently.

On another note, Eddie Hearn was trying to claim Brook was ahead on the scorecards when the fight was stopped! Surely not?!

Yeah Brook was ahead. He was making GGG miss and landing his shots. He was probably ahead by a round.

BadAss2961

No, he go exposed in this fight by a fighter that is normally lower in class. Canelo would beat him.
It's not unusual for GGG to get hit a lot and take big shots. He takes them very well and eventually pounds his opponent into submission. Canelo has a shot, but I see GGG forcing him into an action fight. Trading punches, which quickly ends badly for everyone against GGG.

It's not unusual for GGG to get hit a lot and take big shots. He takes them very well and eventually pounds his opponent into submission. Canelo has a shot, but I see GGG forcing him into an action fight. Trading punches, which quickly ends badly for everyone against GGG.

Exactly. Canelo is tough but everybody eventually falls to GGG's punches. Dude is just too good.

It's easy for me to say it, in retrospect. The truth is, there was no way in knowing that at the elite level his chin would be a problem until he got there, because Khan was an incredibly successful at the amateur level and even during the pros. It didn't really rear it's ugly head until the Breidis Prescott fight. Even with the chin issue, let's not forget he still won 2 titles at Jr. Welterweight, and beat good fighters in Andriy Kotelnik, Zab Judah, Paulie Malignaggi, Devon Alexander, Marcos Maidana, and despite getting the official loss to Lamont Peterson, I thought Khan won that fight. So he's still had a pretty decent career.

What you described is exactly what canelo likes too though and he has the age advantage.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I gave Brook only Round 2, but that's a huge misrepresentation of him tonight. He was great. I was legit surprised by him. Corner did the right thing. Brook's eye was completely fucked. Golovkin's got that scary mix of brute strength and iron chin. Still he fought kinda sloppy. Dude was obviously mad after Round 2 and wanted to cut Brook down like a dead tree.

It's easy for me to say it, in retrospect. The truth is, there was no way in knowing that at the elite level his chin would be a problem until he got there, because Khan was an incredibly successful at the amateur level and even during the pros. It didn't really rear it's ugly head until the Breidis Prescott fight. Even with the chin issue, let's not forget he still won 2 titles at Jr. Welterweight, and beat good fighters in Andriy Kotelnik, Zab Judah, Paulie Malignaggi, Devon Alexander, Marcos Maidana, and despite getting the official loss to Lamont Peterson, I thought Khan won that fight. So he's still had a pretty decent career.

Yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing. It is easy to forget that he has had a good career and has beaten some good names. Just disappointing when he could of gone down as one of the all-time greats. And doubly frustrating that his ego seems to be getting in the way of some of the more intriguing potential match ups he has left.

Yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing. It is easy to forget that he has had a good career and has beaten some good names. Just disappointing when he could of gone down as one of the all-time greats. And doubly frustrating that his ego seems to be getting in the way of some of the more intriguing potential match ups he has left.

Well taking the Canelo fight was stupid. He could've made good million dollar paydays at welterweight fighting guys he had better chances at winning such as a Danny Garcia rematch, Adrian Broner, Keith Thurman, Kell Brook, Timothy Bradley, Manny Pacquaio, etc...

Brook put on a great performance and hopefully his stock has raised a bit now but as much as I hoped for an upset I knew it would never happen.

Really hope Golovkin can get the Saunders fight now though but it is highly unlikely. Saunders won't even fight Eubank again.

Top Bottom