• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Brook put on a great performance and hopefully his stock has raised a bit now but as much as I hoped for an upset I knew it would never happen.

Really hope Golovkin can get the Saunders fight now though but it is highly unlikely. Saunders won't even fight Eubank again.

Golovkin vs Danny Jacobs at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn needs to happen next.

Watching the fight I thought Brook had broken his cheek bone, if it's damage to the eye socket then the trainer did the right thing. You can either recover and fight again at world level or you can end up like Margarito.

abuC

It's pretty shocking the amount of damage GGG can do even without being ahead on the cards. Kell was in front but there's no way he was going to make it to 12, the shots GGG lands just brutalizes his opponents, it's crazy how much power he has.

Kell Brook is still the man. I think he beats all the guys at 147.

I have no idea how you're capable of assessing that. Kell hasn't fought many top fighters in welterweight. He fought Shaun Porter and he looked good, but not great; which is why i knew he had no chance of beating Golovkin. It remains to be seen how well he'd fair against the Bradleys, Thurmans, Errol Spences, Garcias, etc... in the division. Dude still has a lot to prove in his division.

ZoddGutts

I'm not sure anymore. Canelo himself is tough. Sure he may be slower than GGG but he is still strong too. We will never know until they fight each other. They really need to since they are both somewhat in their prime. Let's not get another Pac v Mayweather.

Big problem with Canelo is he will gas out by the 6th round. He always slows down during the mid rounds. GGG picks he's shot better and will keep going at Canelo, Canelo can't keep up the pace all the fight.

Turin

Banned
Brave fight by Kell. His stock went up.

Interesting seeing GGG get slightly uncomfortable. He didn't like round 2. Canelo has better timing, tighter defense and his hands are almost as quick(in comparison to Kell Brook). I've always thought that fight would be closer than some people believe.

Kell Brook is still the man. I think he beats all the guys at 147.

Errol Spence says otherwise.

He might beat Keith though.

Edit:

He shouldn't go south of 154 imo. He's a better fighter above 147.

Just watched the fight again; GGG is full of shit, he was hurt a couple of times. Brook cracked him good; GGG is lucky that he's not a natural middleweight. Bizarre stoppage, but Brook looked damn good.

Turin

Banned
The Ward ship has sailed. Unless Andre falls off a cliff, there's no way Gennady's not a clear underdog in that fight.

The only interesting fights I can think of for him are against some of those talented Junior Middleweights(he basically fought one tonight).

The Ward ship has sailed. Unless Andre falls off a cliff, there's no way Gennady's not a clear underdog in that fight.

The only interesting fights I can think of for him are against some of those talented Junior Middleweights(he basically fought one tonight).

What makes you think it sailed?

Turin

Banned
What makes you think it sailed?

GGG is an average sized middleweight who could probably make 154 without killing himself.

He's only entertained fights at 168 when the fight was lucrative and he had obvious advantages(Chavez Jr, Froch). When the Ward fight came up, he wanted Andre coming down to 164 and I don't necessarily blame him for that.

Ward's locked in at Light-Heavyweight and isn't likely to ever entertain a catch weight fight.

If the fight ever happens, one of or both guys will be past their peak.

Eddie Hearn confirmed a broken eye socket for Brook, going to surgery this monday. So much for "let him finish the round" or "go another round". Close call

Good decision to pull him out. He was ahead on the cards but the fight was clearly going downhill for him with that injury. Better save your fucking eye instead.

Golovkin is good but IMO not quite as good as advertised and certainly not unbeatable. He would have lost to Froch at 168, let alone Ward.

jchap

Smith is tough. I didn't think anyone could stand up to volunteering to being a punching bag for a few rounds in front of Alvarez. Still he is losing by a wide margin.

TheCrow

Smith needs a knock out or multiple knock downs but it looks like its only a matter of time before Canelo finishes him off.

Edit: Smith goes down as soon as i posted that.

kinggroin

Banned
Smith knocked down...

Canelo is killing with the body shots and uppercuts.

This may be it.

10-8 round, Smith survives and rallies strong.

Top Bottom