• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

cthoaa said:
I believe
d
in Victor Ortiz. :(

His post-fight interview was so well-delivered and honest, but I think he really tipped his hand as far as his willingness to take punishment. He pretty much said that if you take him to deep waters, he'll turn around and head for shore rather than risk drowning.

The ref was being kind when he took words out of Ortiz's mouth and brought Ortiz to the corner to put the stoppage on himself and the doctor. But afterwards, Ortiz let people know he reached his limit.
t.

Ortiz' post bout comments sounded like someone who was 38 and at the end of their career, not 22 and on the rise.

Anybody else see some shenanigans with that decision. Ortiz clearly gave up but the ref still walked him over to the doctor, adn then the ref proceeded to tell the doctor to stop the fight. Isn't the doctor supposed to make that decision independently? Is it normal for the ref to basically tell the doc to call the fight? Kind of seemed like they were doing whatever they could to save face for their future (they hope) headline fighter. Stopped due to cut sounds a lot better than flatout gave up.

cthoaa

Ninja Scooter said:
Ortiz' post bout comments sounded like someone who was 38 and at the end of their career, not 22 and on the rise.
I thought the same. He was pretty smiley, too. Not that one can't can't be a good sport, but he seemed pretty content with the result, not angry or hungry. GBP's been trying to repair and rebuild his rep with press releases throughout the week.

"I made some comments after the fight that were an emotional response to the loss," Ortiz continued. "I take full responsibility for my mistakes and actions, but I didn't mean what I said. I am young, have things to learn and I guarantee you, I will be a world champion, MARK MY WORDS...Just watch me!."

CEO of Golden Boy Promotions Richard Schaefer stated, "Victor suffered from being hit by several illegal blows to the back of the head and was sent to the hospital after the fight for a post-fight check up as a precaution. He was there until close to 3 AM for testing and, although he is thought to have suffered a concussion, was released from the hospital. We know that Victor will be back in a world title fight soon. He was leading on the scorecards before the ringside physician stopped the fight, but this is boxing and the fight ended the way it did."

cthoaa

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090701/ap_on_sp_bo_ne/box_arguello_dead
Former boxing champ, Managua mayor Arguello dead

MANAGUA, Nicaragua – Alexis Arguello, who fought in one of boxing's most classic brawls and reigned supreme at 130 pounds, was found dead at his home early Wednesday.

Coroners were conducting an autopsy to determine the cause of death. Sandanista Party's Radio Ya and other local media were reporting it appeared to be a suicide.

The La Prensa newspaper reported that Arguello — elected mayor of Nicaragua's capital last year — was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.

My friend's nica; everyone in her family thinks it was really a murder. Acc. to her, even though people loved him for his accomplishments and how he represented Nicaragua on the world stage, a lot of people resented him for turning communist and siding with those against whom his brother had died fighting.

He's before my time, but those fights vs. Pryor are awesome and I thought it was nice how close they were in their lives after.

theBishop

Banned
Has anyone heard anything from Ali Funeka since his loss to Nate Campbell? Even though he lost, I enjoyed his style. I'd like to see him fight someone he where the odds aren't so heavily stacked against him.

cthoaa

I think Funeka's still in trouble with his country's boxing commission for leaving for the fight vs. Campbell without clearance. According to this editorial (it's titled "Funeka, Bungu and Mnguni all belong in jail"!), a South African boxer and trainer were suspended for a year for a similar infraction.

This thread on ESB has him turning down an eliminator vs. Joan Guzman for the IBF's #1 spot, but there's no cite.

Quazar

July 10
At Philadelphia (ESPN2): Matt Godfrey vs. Shawn Hawk, 10 rounds, cruiserweights; Shaun George vs. Chris Henry, 10 rounds, light heavyweights; Tony Ferrante vs. Billy Bailey, 8 rounds, light heavyweights; Derek Ennis vs. TBA, 8 rounds, junior middleweights; Coy Evans vs. Darrell Martin, 6 rounds, junior lightweights; Angel Ocasio vs. TBA, 4 rounds, lightweights; Kareem Harrison vs. Winston Thorpe, 4 rounds, heavyweights; Derrick Webster vs. Roger Locklear, 4 rounds, middleweights; Olivia Fonseca vs. Lisa Bolin, 4 rounds, female welterweights; Jackie Davis vs. Rachel Clark, 4 rounds, female welterweights; B.J. Flores in studio

Outside Godfrey(18-1-10KO) / Hawk(18-0-1 10KO) not sure what we'll see.

Quazar

Surprised this hasn't been posted:

Showtime super middleweight tournament is a winner

RING said:
Showtime’s six-man super middleweight tournament appears to be doing what too few matchups do – capturing the imagination.

The U.S. television network has called a news conference for Monday in New York to formally announce the 12-fight, round-robin competition, which will include six top 168-pounders -- Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell and Arthur Abraham.

Top-level fighters sometimes go a year or more without facing another top-level fighter. In this tournament, they’ll be forced to fight one another at least three times in less than two years. And when it’s over, assuming it doesn’t fall apart, we’ll have a pretty good idea who the best 168-pounder is.

Also, the risk for the fighters is significant. At least five of the six – including four who are currently undefeated – are guaranteed to have a blemish on their records, whether it’s a loss or losses or a draw.

Gary Shaw, who promotes Dirrell, was thrilled on Thursday.

“First of all, it’s better than an elimination tournament,” he said. “They can go balls to the wall because they know they’ll have another fight. It’s not like if you lose and you’re out; you might fight cautiously. In this tournament, you get extra points for a knockout. They’re gonna go all out. I think you’re going to see some great fights.

“And if somebody comes out of this with a perfect record, the tournament will have built a superstar. No doubt about it.”

The tournament isn’t perfect.

One, a lot can change in almost two years – contractual issues, weight issues, injuries, anything unforeseen that could prevent a fighter from fulfilling his obligations. Showtime reportedly has mechanisms in place to replace anyone who drops out.

Two, some big-name 168-pounds are missing, most notably Lucian Bute.

Three, Jermain Taylor is involved even though he’s coming off what some thought might be a career-ending knockout loss to Froch. That said, the former titleholder dominated Froch for most of the fight.

Four, a super middleweight who might deserve to be in the mix might emerge out of nowhere.

And, five, if I understand the definition, this isn’t a true round-robin tournament because each fighter is only scheduled to face three of the other five participants. Ideally, they’d face all five in the first round but that would take too long.

Still, Ken Hershman, head of Showtime boxing, did about as well as anyone could in putting such a tournament together.

Getting two promoters to agree on terms in a single important fight is a major accomplishment. To get five to sign off on such an enormous event is borderline miraculous.

“I think if President Obama were smart, he’d load the 13 of us [promoters, fighters, Hershman and two fighters’ advisor Al Haymon] into an air force jet and send us to the Middle East to make peace,” Shaw said.

Now that it appears it will happen, it will be amusing to handicap the tournament.

The first-round schedule, as reported by ESPN.com, is as follows: Froch vs. Dirrell, Abraham vs. Taylor, Kessler vs. Ward, Abraham vs. Dirrell, Froch vs. Kessler, Ward vs. Taylor, Ward vs. Dirrell, Froch vs. Abraham and Kessler vs. Taylor. (See accompanying chart.)

That gives you an idea how competitive the tournament is, at least on paper. I asked my colleague Doug Fischer who he thought would win the first few fights and his initial reaction was, “Oh, man. That’s tough.”

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/855/showtime_super_middleweight_tournament_is_a_winner/

9 more minutes until boxing comes on ESPN2

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
BigKaboom2 said:
Easily 3 of the weakest fights I've ever seen. Wtf at Shaun George?

I am hoping George broke his hand or got injured in some way because he completely gave up.

Quazar said:
Next week will be epic. Mark my words.
Yeah, it definitely sounds like it.

Adamek and Darchinyan fighting tonight but they sound like they'll probably be one-sided. Not familiar with Agbeko, hopefully he gives Vic a fight.

cthoaa

Quazar said:
I'm surprised both guys are in agreement that Abraham will win. (It seems they also agree on Froch going 0-3.) If Kessler's skill level hasn't fallen off in the last year-and-a-half because of his weaker opposition, I imagine he'll take the whole thing.

It looks great, though. I think that because of the timeframe and the number of people involved, the brackets and participants will change a few times, possibly for the better. It'll be hard to stare at back-to-back(to-back?) losses, so early losers might bow out, making way for Bute or a heavier Pavlik.

cthoaa

dskillzhtown said:
BTW, the Euro Boxing Youtube channel put up a new fight: Alexander Sipos vs Mahir Oral
That's good quality for YouTube and they have rights to lots of footage. I think I've run into some of their interviews and maybe some articles on their site, but didn't know they had such an extensive channel.

This one has Oral's most recent fight vs. Abraham and Chambers's very good-great perfomance last Saturday vs. Dmitrienko. No director's privileges, though: the videos are all split up.

Also, there's part of the controversial first round of Dib-Yamaguchi from Thursday. (Dib's unprofessional; I don't know how Mosley can back him so much.)

Relix said:
Any good cards for tonight? I am in some boxing mood.
BigKaboom2 said:
Adamek and Darchinyan fighting tonight but they sound like they'll probably be one-sided. Not familiar with Agbeko, hopefully he gives Vic a fight.
Probably gonna watch them tomorrow due to UFC.

Relix said:
Will watch. Showtime I think it is it. Thanks a bunch =D
Yeah Darchinyan vs. Agbeko on Showtime 9-11:30 so probably an hour from now for the main event. Adamek's probably going to kill Bobby Gunn, not sure if that's televised.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
That DeMarco undercard...

Serves the guy right for trying to oversell the hit on the back of the head :lol He was obviously hurt and just whined. The way he got up afterward... wow XD!

Quazar

Vic looked like shit the whole fight.

Adamek made short work of Gunn. Not surprising though. What a step down in competition.

And really sad news about Gatti.

Quazar

RING said:
Chris Arreola and Oleg Maskaev are near a deal to fight Oct. 3 in Southern California, sources said.

The heavyweight fight could take place at either Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario, Calif., or the open-air Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

Arreola (27-0, 24 knockouts) had hoped to fight either of the Klitschko brothers, Vitali and Wladimir, but Vitali has agreed to meet David Haye on Sept. 12 and Wladimir is negotiating to fight Alexander Povetkin.

Arreola, who lives in Riverside, not far from Ontario, is coming off an impressive fourth-round knockout of Jameel McCline in April.

He’s ranked No. 1 by the WBC, meaning he will be the mandatory challenger for Wladimir Klitschko if both win their fights.

Maskaev (36-6, 27 KOs) is a former titleholder but is 40 years old.
http://www.ringtv.com/blog/877/arreola_maskaev_near_deal/

168-pound tourney press conference(Video)

http://www.ringtv.com/video/168pound_tourney_press_conference/

cthoaa

NM about Pavlik possibly being a late substitute in the super middleweight tourney. Apparently he wouldn't stoop so low as to appear on Showtime. (Even though he did appear on ShoBox previously.)

Pavlik wants to fight on HBO

“Why would I be in that tournament when I’m a middleweight?” he said. “They never asked me and I never wanted to join."

“Those guys are fighting for peanuts,” said Pavlik. “They’re going to burn their whole career and for what? Nobody watches Showtime.

“Trust me, when the winner of that tournament fights his next fight, it’ll be on HBO.”

“I like HBO,” he said. “I will fight for HBO. All the big-time fighters like Floyd Mayweather, [Manny] Pacquiao, [Miguel] Cotto, Shane Mosley, the Klitschkos — they all fight on HBO.”

“Whoever the winner is,” he said, “I’ll kick his [butt].”
It also says he's declined to fight Sturm because of the low payout. (HBO offered $2 million for the fight, which is reported as 300,000 to him after deductions.)

Quazar

ESPN2 boxing coming up.

July 17
At Las Vegas (ESPN2): Breidis Prescott vs. Miguel Vasquez, 10 rounds, lightweights; Erislandy Lara vs. Darnell Boone, 8 rounds, junior middleweights; Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Roberto Guillen, 6 rounds, junior featherweights; Yordanis Despaigne vs. Johnny Marino, 4 rounds, cruiserweights; Yudel Johnson vs. Justin Paulo, 4 rounds, junior middleweights; Sharif Bogere vs. Mike Gonzalez, 6 rounds, lightweights; Duniel Dorticos vs. TBA, 4 rounds, cruiserweights; Lionel Davis vs. Mike Goins, 4 rounds, heavyweights; Scott Alexander vs. Benjamin Lee, 4 rounds, heavyweights; Dan Rafael in studio

RING said:
Prescott is rated No. 7 by the WBC, No. 5 by the WBA and No. 4 by the WBO. A showdown with one of the alphabet-rated contenders ranked ahead of him -- such as Michael Katsidis (rated No. 1 by the WBO) or Joan Guzman (rated No. 2 by the WBA) -- could make him the mandatory for those sanctioning organization belts.

The nine-bout card also features former Cuban amateur stars Guillermo Rigondeaux and Erislandy Lara, both of whom will make the FNF broadcast.

World amateur champ Lara (6-0, 4 KOs) will face journeyman spoiler Darnell Boone (16-11-2, 6 KOs) in an eight-round junior middleweight bout.

Over the past five years, Boone has been in with the best middleweight prospects the sport has to offer and has never failed to give them tough fights. The Atlanta-based Ohioan has gone the distance with current light heavyweight titleholder Jean Pascal and current super middleweight conteder Andre Ward (who he dropped). Boone troubled undefeated Craig McEwan in his last fight, dropping an eight-round split decision last month.

It will be interesting to see how Lara imposes his slick southpaw style on Boone.

Two-time Olympic champ Rigondeaux (1-0, 1 KO) takes on Roberto Guillen (4-2-3) in a six-round junior featherweight bout.

I almost forgot about friday night fights.. anyways i've been been searching on the program guide & all i can find is some classic boxing. can Canada-GAF help me out?

Quazar

Lara did good, but Teddy pegged it right. He smothered his own punches.

Prescott coming up in a bit. Don't really see the big challenge here though. But you never know!

theBishop

Banned
Just watched the Ward/Gatti retrospective. That first fight was epic. Later it becomes clear that Gatti is the superior fighter, even if Ward can take some serious damage.

I never noticed a boxing thread in my year spent lurking, brilliant!

Are any of you guys as excited as me about the upcoming Super Six tournament at SMW?

Dirrell, Ward, Abraham, Kessler, Froch and Taylor, I can't wait. probably sticking my money on Kessler although I'll stick a cheeky tenner on at the (English) bookies who have him at 14/1.

Top Bottom