• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

cthoaa

Mayweather injures ribs, postpones comeback fight

LAS VEGAS (AP)—Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s boxing comeback has been postponed because the boxer suffered a rib injury while training.

Promoters says Sunday that the July 18 fight against Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas will be rescheduled.

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) says in a statement that he had been training hard and was disappointed. Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs) says he will remain focused, in shape and ready to fight a rescheduled bout.
Maybe Sept. 12 for Marquez and Mexican Independence Day? This fight seemed really cold.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well... now we can expect a mega fight at the end of the year with Cotto vs. Pacquiao.

The truth is... I heard sales for the Mayweather fight were LOOOOOOWW, extremely low. Hell even Tecate wasn't advertising in it. So they delayed it to create hype and see when people will buy it.

Cotto vs. Pacquiao... I gotta say the Pacman will win though I go for my man Cotto =P.

Kingpen

About a week prior to Cotto's fight,

Mosley and Pacman were in the news about possibly arranging a right between them. A 60-40 split for Pacquiao's advantage.

cthoaa

Quazar said:
Cotto-Clottey press conference

http://www.ringtv.com/video/cottoclottey_press_conference_part_1/

Bob Arum style. "Are you an idiot?" :lol
Harsh! :lol Lots of unkind words for Mayweather, too. I hope his continued taunting doesn't make fights between Floyd and Top Rank fighters harder to put together. Golden Boy is there to act as a mediator and the money they can make together will make them look past certain things, but the bad blood can't make negotiations easier.

Re: Mosley, I think he's going go to be left out in the cold -- this, despite a strong case as being the best welterweight. FMJ-JMM will stay together for a later date and Pacquiao-Cotto will be towards the year's end. I imagine if he's going to get in another fight this year at 147, Mosley will have to look at Berto or even Paul Williams. (Clottey deserves a shot, but has the recent loss attached to him and it sounded like Arum accepts that Clottey will have too tough a time vs. Mosley.)

cthoaa

Saturday I was watching a stream of the UK/Setanta+Top Rank broadcast so I could see Calderon's fight. (Okay while it lasted, but a disappointing performance from him.) I only saw HBO's call of the main event just last night and was WOW at Lampley's cheerleading.

3509f04.jpg
nmn634.jpg

Lampley: "Good tackle by Cotto! Clottey went at him, went up onto Cotto's shoulder, and Miguel just put him down."

He was also a little beligerent, biting a bit at Steward when he suggested that Clottey was up in the fight. Almost like, 'Oh, yeah? Well, Harold Lederman has it scored for Cotto'.

Official scorecard:
2dakrk6.jpg

Quazar

Lampley: "Good tackle by Cotto! Clottey went at him, went up onto Cotto's shoulder, and Miguel just put him down."

:lol :lol :lol

Missed that. Agreed on Mosley. It's actually kind of sad. But understandable as well.

Relix said:
Pacquiao will kill Cotto

I think Manny will beat him as well.

Vestal

Cotto will beat Pac..

He is not an old over the hill fighter(Oscar), he is also not an above average Club fighter(Hatton). Cotto will use his size and strenght advantage to mangle Pacquiao and either TKO him or win by UD.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Vestal said:
Cotto will beat Pac..

He is not an old over the hill fighter(Oscar), he is also not an above average Club fighter(Hatton). Cotto will use his size and strenght advantage to mangle Pacquiao and either TKO him or win by UD.

Cotto's defense is BAD. Pacquiao has killer instinct I swear :lol I am all for Cotto, but there is just NO way he will win that fight. Nooooooone.

Vestal

Relix said:
Cotto's defense is BAD. Pacquiao has killer instinct I swear :lol I am all for Cotto, but there is just NO way he will win that fight. Nooooooone.

Cottos defense is pretty good.. It appeared bad on Saturday because of the huge gash over his left eye..

Again size and strength will be the determining factor.. If this fight is at or about 144 Cotto wins handily.

Not to mention he doesn't have the CRAPPIEST boxing fundamentals like Hatton had, which allowed Pac totally murder Hatton.

Friday Night Fights is on ESPN Classic if anyone was looking for it on the deuce... college baseball game was in the 4th inning.

Also, a reminder about the Klitschko v. Chagaev match for those in the US. Starts at 5 PM ET Saturday in the US on ESPN Classic according to my DirecTV guide.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't like how the Pacman camp is trying to set up the Cotto/Pac fight.

70-30 and a catchweight WITH the title on the line? FUCK THAT. If Manny wants the title on the line then he should settle at welterweight, instead of this catchweight nonsense.

If Cotto has to fight at 144 while putting his title on the line with just a 30% of pay, then he should not accept the fight. It's not like Cotto desperately needs the money.

Apparently Freddy doesn't want Pacman to fight at 147. Fuck him if that's true then!

Jean Pascal just won the WBC light heavyweight title. Great fight, he looked like a more active Chad Dawson. Would love to see a fight between these two, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

cthoaa

Sounds good. It looks like they're replaying the entire broadcast and are just getting underway with one of the undercard bouts. (EDIT: Versus channel, I mean.)

Quazar

Bradley-Campbell on for Aug. 1 This is a pretty nice match up.

Beltran looked very good last night. Demetrius Andrade should take on someone a good bit better next fight. And good for Pascal.

Can't wait for Klitschko/Chagaev in a few hours.

Vestal

Chagaev vs Klitshko right now on ESPN2.. Forgot it was today.. Round 3 now.. Chagaev got knockdown in the 2nd with a SOLID right hand..

EDIT.

Its on ESPN Classic

Vestal

Blew him out..

BUT FFS Wlad u need to throw some damn HOOKS. The 1 2 was working but add a hook and you would have knocked him out 4 rounds ago.

Quazar

Vestal said:
Blew him out..

BUT FFS Wlad u need to throw some damn HOOKS. The 1 2 was working but add a hook and you would have knocked him out 4 rounds ago.

Yea, the lack of hooks/uppercuts really bugs me about Wlad. Wish I could of seen Andy on undercard.

cthoaa

In Germany:

e5pfly.jpg

2wcf8k8.jpg

29syuw.jpg

Arthur Abraham vs Mahir Oral (with a crazy tatoo) for Abraham's IBF world middleweight title
Sebastian Sylvester vs Lajuan Simon for Sylvester's IBF international middleweight title

Showtime's showing Abraham's fight on tape delay. The German tv station is streaming it here, but I'm not sure if the live stream is region-free. It starts in half an hour, I think? (22:25 there)

His promoters, Sauerland Event, insist this is his last fight at middle because of the continued problems making weight so no Pavlik-Abraham to unify 160, it seems.

5mdbw2.jpg

2ns021w.jpg

Chris John pulled out of the Juarez rematch. Juarez was offered a fight vs. a lefty replacement and rejected it, so now HBO's BAD is just the one fight, Ortiz-Maidana for the interim WBA world light welterweight title. Interim is supposed to be the mandatory to the "regular" champion, the winner of Kotelnik-Khan next month.

Top Rank's Latin Fury PPV in NJ is okay with competitive fights on the undercard, but the big draws, Juanma Lopez and Jorge Arce, are in there with unproven guys that have nice records.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I didn't know this thread existed.

Fight Night Round 4 has gotten me into watching boxing again. I watch Friday Night Fights last night and it was actually some good action. I have been looking at this Youtube channel. Seems to have most big Euro matches on it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BigKaboom2 said:
What a letdown after all that insanity. :lol

Yeah turning in to more of a wrestling match now.

Man these two are just swingin for the fences...

WOW Ortiz fails his first REAL test.... wow....

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BigKaboom2 said:
^ Whoops, you must be on a delay or something. Ended about 15 minutes ago, sorry for unintentional pseudo-spoilers.

Yeah watching it on DVR. ;)

Neither guy had any defense... both BARELY used a jab.. it was bombs away from the start and whoever had more endurance would win....

Kingpen

Cintron just lacks something to me... but if Maidana does this reckless style in future fights, someone will put a wrench in his plans...

It was a good exciting fight tonight though.

theBishop

Banned
Kingpen said:
Cintron just lacks something to me... but if Maidana does this reckless style in future fights, someone will put a wrench in his plans...

It was a good exciting fight tonight though.

I agree. That's why I think Cintron is about right. It's a good chance for Maidana to establish himself in the US if he's got the skills. Cintron is a bit weak, but still has enough cred to help the career of the guy who beats him. Cintron's suspicious losses to Margarito could be forgotten with a few more fights like his last one. Both have something to gain out of it.

cthoaa

I believe
d
in Victor Ortiz. :(

His post-fight interview was so well-delivered and honest, but I think he really tipped his hand as far as his willingness to take punishment. He pretty much said that if you take him to deep waters, he'll turn around and head for shore rather than risk drowning.

The ref was being kind when he took words out of Ortiz's mouth and brought Ortiz to the corner to put the stoppage on himself and the doctor. But afterwards, Ortiz let people know he reached his limit.

It's refreshing that he openly acknowledges the long-term effects of boxing and the consequences of his decisions in the ring, but man... he was going to be the next El Feroz.

Also, Maidana was not what I expected. In his last fight against Kotelnik (the only one I've seen of his) he seemed hesitant to commit, content to poke around and wing a few punches. Maybe it was the early success of his right hand or the knockdown he scored immediately after he was put down, but last night he was aggressive and really up for the exchanges. He went after the back of Ortiz's head more than I cared to see, but some of that was down to Ortiz's dipping forward.

Abraham's fight was standard for him (slow start until first knockdown), but he looked more helpless than usual vs. the jab and was countered and knocked off his base by Oral quite a bit. Oral had lost all confidence in round five or six but the fight was extended because Abraham needed breaks in the action and couldn't maintain pressure. Also the ref seemed reluctant to stop the contest. (He was counting even after the third knockdown in the tenth round, the fifth time Oral was down.)

I think if Abraham took on Sturm right now @ 160, he'd get decisioned. But he's going to 168 and the talent level at super middle continues to improve and middleweight loses its biggest possible fight.

Quazar

Maidana-Ortiz was an awesome fight. Hat goes off to both of them. I'd love a rematch personally.

I agree on Abrahams fight being a typical Abraham fight. Pavlik just needs to fight him. But I wouldn't have any problems seeing him move up at all.

Oh yea Jacobs looked very good on Friday. He's ready for a step-up.

Top Bottom