• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

J Tourettes said:
I hate catchweight fights. If you want to fight a welter, fight a welter at their weight.

Agreed, but only if this was for the belt. I can't tell from the article if the WW belt is on the line, probably not.

Feenix29 said:
Just remembered this thread existed.

Heres an article link for the Pac-Cotto match http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/443695/1/.html

Excited for this one but i think Pac will take it, should be a great fight tho.

Any truth the rumor that the Mayweather-Marquez delay was due to poor ticket sales?
I remember my friend telling me that.

That's what I've heard about the PBF/Marquez fight. That's also why Floyd was saying the other day that he was prepared to pay Marquez step aside money so he could face Pac. He knows that if the Marquez fight doesn't sell that many tickets and doesn't do that well on PPV, that'll do his negotiating for the Pac fight some serious damage.

Feenix29

^^^

Either way, its a lose-lose situation for Pretty Boy.
Even more if he actually loses the fight, which i dont think will happen, but Marquez is no slouch.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Finally I'll get to see a fight in Vegas... seen big fights fights in NYC, CT, NJ and have yet to see a Vegas fight... finally with this fight the wife and I agreed we'll make it a long weekend exchange our timeshare and go to Vegas... should be sweet. Can't wait for the tickets to go on sale!

Vestal

Cotto by 8th KO..

Pacman is bitting on more he can chew here. Cotto will just over power him in this fight, bigger stronger man will batter the little man. Lets not forget sure that Pac beat De la Hoya but it was a weight drained over the hill DLH who had to keep his drained weight the day of the fight before he could rehidrate.

Pac is not Margarito or Clottey who are naturally bigger than Miguel or who have bricks in their hands.

theBishop

Banned
Vestal said:
Cotto by 8th KO..

Pacman is bitting on more he can chew here. Cotto will just over power him in this fight, bigger stronger man will batter the little man. Lets not forget sure that Pac beat De la Hoya but it was a weight drained over the hill DLH who had to keep his drained weight the day of the fight before he could rehidrate.

Pac is not Margarito or Clottey who are naturally bigger than Miguel or who have bricks in their hands.

Manny has to fight bigger guys because no one can compete with his skills. I don't think Cotto has the skills either. He's a sub-Hatton fighter.

Vestal

theBishop said:
Manny has to fight bigger guys because no one can compete with his skills. I don't think Cotto has the skills either. He's a sub-Hatton fighter.

Prepare for a rude awakening.. Cotto would have destroyed Hatton. Hatton has 0 boxing skill, he relies on bullying his opponents. Cotto being the bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled fighter would have schooled Hatton.

Quazar

Haye strikes deal to fight Valuev Nov. 7

ESPN said:
"I am thrilled to announce that my dream of becoming world heavyweight champion will be realized on Nov. 7 when I challenge the tallest and heaviest champion of all time, Nikolai Valuev," the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Haye said of the 7-foot, 320-pound Russian giant. "Valuev's known as 'The Beast From The East' and there's a reason he's got that nickname. He's a big, ugly, sweaty and hairy man from the Eastern Bloc. David only needed a slingshot and a stone to flatten Goliath and I'm convinced my right hand generates more power than a stone."

Boente said Klitschko (37-2, 36 KOs) would line up another opponent for September, possibly American contender Cristobal Arreola for a fight in the United States, although talks would have to move quickly.

Negotiations for Klitschko-Haye were difficult but Boente said they had reached an agreement for the bout. Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, Haye's American promoter, said two weeks ago that they had reached a deal. Yet the contracts went unsigned by the Haye camp as it quietly made the deal with Valuev promoter Sauerland Event instead.

Boente said Booth received the final draft of a contract they had agreed to but refused to sign it or return telephone calls, e-mails and text messages from Boente and Finkel.

"Haye is saying it's a slavery contract and won't sign it after we agreed to everything," Boente said. "The contract we agreed on is on their desk and they don't sign it. From [Wednesday] morning on, they don't answer us. This is the worst I have seen in negotiating. We have not heard from them. This is so amateurish. How little class do they have? I really prefer to negotiate with people like Don King or Peter Kohl, who are tough, but at least you can talk to them and negotiate. This guy has no idea what he is doing. Haye has the right trainer maybe, but not the right manager."

Haye and Booth had a different story.

"There were reports in the German press that I had signed to fight Vitali Klitschko in September, but those reports were never true," Haye said. "There have been long and exhausting discussions about the clash, but unfortunately I could never put my name to the fight contract the Klitschkos offered. The level of disrespect they have shown me throughout has left me feeling insulted. As for signing the contract, now that I realize just how much support and interest I have from the people in Germany, it would have been like selling my soul to the devil. I will not be a slave fighter.

"Once I have snatched Valuev's title, I will be happy to battle out heavyweight supremacy with the Klitschkos, but only on equal and fair terms. I only hope the Klitschkos still want to fight me after I have slayed 'The Beast.'"

"Publicly [the Klitschko camp] may be perplexed but they know the fight was never on," Booth said. "They have overstated the position. We never once said it was done. There have been ups and downs, but in the final analysis, David made the decision for what he feels is the best for his career. They have our final position. I had to do what was best for David. He was always unhappy with the contract for the Klitschko fight. He's a young man trying to fulfill his dreams and he wants to do it the way he wants to do it."

The Klitschko camp isn't buying it.

"Everything was OK, we thought," Finkel said. "The only thing up in the air was what little technical things had to be finished between Sky and [German broadcaster] RTL. They were very minor and had nothing to do with the important deal points. All of a sudden [Booth] and his lawyer became unavailable. But we got a letter from the lawyer saying things were fine on all points except the technical issues [between broadcasters].

"I understand the business. If you're making a deal and you want to back out, just say it. But don't do it like this. [Booth] doesn't even have the guts to answer our phone calls."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4349120

love the drama.

Tonight ESPN2:(10pm EST)
July 24
At El Paso, Texas (ESPN2): Antonio Escalante vs. Cornelius Lock, 10 rounds, featherweights; Juan Velasquez vs. Jose Beranza, 8 rounds, junior featherweights; Carlos Velasquez vs. Juan Nazario, 4 or 6 rounds, featherweights; Karl Dargan vs. Lorenzo Estrada, 4 rounds, lightweughts; Robert Luna vs. Manuel Bocanegra, 4 rounds, welterweights; Abraham Han vs. Brian Soto, 6 rounds, middleweights; Saul Morales vs. Guadalupe De Leon, 4 or 6 rounds, featherweights; Bernard Hopkins in studio

RING said:
Golden Boy Promotions - The formidable featherweights are coming off back-to-back impressive performances and both believe a win on Friday will advance them from fringe contender to full contender status.

Escalante (19-2, 13 KOs) is an aggressive pressure fighter who is known for his relentless body attack and powerful left hook. Lock (17-4-1, 10 KOs) is a southpaw boxer-puncher with slick moves and explosive speed.

Both were considered hot prospects a few years ago, but knockout losses to more experienced fighters temporarily derailed their progres

While a victory may or may not result in a top-10 ranking at 122 or 126 pounds (both fighters are capable of competing in either weight class), the matchup will definitely make for a quality fight.

The undefeated Velasquez brothers, talented twin featherweight prospects from Puerto Rico, will be co-featured on the Friday Night Fights live telecast that begins at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT (and will also be broadcast on ESPN Deportes and ESPN360.com).

Juan Velasquez (9-0, 5 KOs) takes on Mexico City veteran Jose Angel Beranza (31-15-2, 25 KOs) in the eight-round co-featured bout. The opening televised bout will be Carlos Velasquez (10-0, 9 KOs) against Fort Lauderdale, Florida's Juan Nazario (6-1-1, 4 KOs) in a six-round contest.

That fight was incredible given how horribly lopsided it was :lol . I thought Lock was finished after 3 but he gutted it out.

The Velasquez brothers looked pretty atrocious - never heard of them but so much for the hype.

Quazar

Holy shit at Forrest news.

AP said:
ATLANTA (AP)—Vernon Forrest, a former two-division champion who gained stardom when he became the first boxer to defeat Shane Mosley, was shot to death in what police are calling an attempted robbery.

Atlanta police Sgt. Lisa Keyes said in an e-mail Sunday that the 38-year-old Forrest was shot several times in the back late Saturday night on a street just southwest of downtown. Keyes said there were no suspects.

Fulton County medical examiner Michele Stauffenberg confirmed the case was a homicide and that the autopsy showed Forrest died from “multiple gunshot wounds involving the torso and thigh.” Keyes said a police report on the shooting was not immediately available.

Charles Watson, the boxer’s manager, said police and witnesses told him that Forrest had stopped at a gas station to put air in his car tire when a man approached asking for money.

“Somehow, Vernon had his wallet out and the guy snatched his wallet and started running,” Watson said. “Vernon pursued after him. The guy turned the corner and Vernon didn’t see him. He turned around to go back to the car. That’s when he started firing.”

Watson said Forrest’s 11-year-old godson was with him, but had gone into the convenience store and did not witness the shooting.

The death quickly sent a ripple through the close-knit boxing world.

“Vernon was one of the few decent people in boxing,” his promoter Gary Shaw told The Associated Press. “I don’t know what to say. I’m still in disbelief, I’m still in shock.”

Forrest, a native of Augusta, Ga., who lived in Atlanta, was a member of the 1992 Olympic team along with Oscar De La Hoya. The popular fighter later won welterweight and junior middleweight titles and compiled a professional record of 41-3 with 29 knockouts.

“He was one of the most gracious and charitable fighters in boxing and he will be missed by the entire boxing community,” said HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg, who helped put on eight of Forrest’s fights. “Maybe Vernon’s lasting legacy will be for Americans everywhere to rise up and end this kind of senseless violence.”

Those who knew Forrest praised his role in launching the Destiny’s Child group homes in Atlanta, which work to provide homes for the mentally disabled.

Longtime publicist Kelly Swanson called him “a caring humanitarian who always stood up for what he believed to be the fairness of life.”

“It was truly his calling,” Swanson said of his work with children. “When he wasn’t boxing, this was his full-time job. … When they would see him, they would just light up, and some of them couldn’t even talk. Vernon was very much involved. He’d have some of the kids over to his house on Sundays. They were part of his family.”

Swanson said Forrest was not married and had one son, Vernon Jr.

Forrest turned pro not long after the Barcelona Olympics, when he was stricken by food poisoning and lost in the opening round. He won his first world title by defeating Raul Frank at Madison Square Garden for the vacant IBF welterweight belt in May 2001, and less than a year later handed Mosley his first career loss to capture the WBC title.

The smooth-punching Forrest defended the belt against Mosley, winning by unanimous decision six months later, before losing to Ricardo Mayora in January 2003. It was Forrest’s first loss, and he’d lose again to Mayorga in a close bout many believe he won.

After taking two years off because of injuries, Forrest embarked on an impressive comeback that included a win over Ike Quartey and a victory over Carlos Baldomir for the vacant WBC junior middleweight title. Forrest defended it once, before losing it in a stunning upset to Sergio Mora in June 2008.
FILE - In this Sept. 13, 2008 file photo, Vernon Forrest, left, lands a body blow to Sergio Mora, in the seventh round of their WBC super welterweight title boxing match in Las Vegas. Police say Forrest has been shot and killed in an apparent robbery. Atlanta Police Sgt. Lisa Keyes said in an e-mail Sunday, July 26, 2009 that Forrest may have been robbed and was shot "multiple times in the back" Saturday night in Atlanta.

Like a true champion, the soft-spoken yet hard-punching Forrest reclaimed it when he won a lopsided decision last September in what ultimately was his final fight.

“He was a great fighter, a great champion,” said Ken Hershman, vice president in charge of boxing at Showtime. “He was coming to the end of his career, but wasn’t ready to hang ‘em up. He still had a lot of life ahead of him.”

There were tentative plans for a title fight against Sergio Martinez, perhaps in October, Shaw said. Plans for an August fight against Martinez were pushed back because of a rib injury, and the delay led the WBC to strip Forrest of his title.

His trainer Buddy McGirt told the AP that he spoke to Forrest last week, and the two were planning to return to the gym on Aug. 1.

“I’ve been in a daze. I’m at a loss for words,” said McGirt, who was awakened early Sunday by the call with the bad news. “When I answered it was his assistant and she was crying, and I knew something happened, man. I just feel so bad.”

This is the third high-profile death of a boxing champion in recent weeks.
FILE - In this July 26, 2007 file photo, boxer Vernon Forrest smiles as he answers questions during a news conference in Tacoma, Wash. Police say Forrest has been shot and killed in an apparent robbery. Atlanta Police Sgt. Lisa Keyes said in an e-mail Sunday, July 26, 2009 that Forrest may have been robbed and was shot "multiple times in the back" Saturday night in Atlanta.

Hall of Famer Alexis Arguello, the mayor of Managua, Nicaragua, was found dead at his home on July 1 in an apparent suicide. Two weeks ago, popular brawler Arturo Gatti was found dead in a condominium in Brazil. Gatti’s wife remains the prime suspect in that case.

“If the saying is bad things come in threes, hopefully we’re done with that for a long time to come,” Hershman said. “I hope that’s the case. I mean, ironically three great people, three great human beings, too. Not a good few months.”

McGirt was especially shaken by the death of Forrest, whose wins over Mosley earned him the 2002 Fighter of the Year award from Ring Magazine, and whose kindness outside of the ring earned him the Good Guy award in 2003 from the Boxing Writer’s Association of America.

McGirt also worked with Gatti and considered both fallen fighters close friends.

“He has a son, you know?” Gatti said about Forrest. “Someone is going to be raised without a father because somebody wanted to rob someone.”

AP Sports Writer Dave Skretta contributed to this report.

Sucks...

Quazar

AJC:

AJC said:
The incident began at 11 p.m. at the Chevron on Whitehall Street in Southwest Atlanta when Forrest, 38, stopped to put air in the tires of his Jaguar, said Atlanta Police Detective Lt. Keith Meadows.

A male suspect approached Forrest and robbed him of a few items at gunpoint, he said. Forrest, who was also armed, then chased the suspect to an area near McDaniel and Fulton Streets.

Forrest was shot seven to eight times in the back, Meadows said. Meadows said there is evidence Forrest used his weapon but did not know if the suspect was shot.

An 11-year-old boy, described as a godson by Forrest’s manager Charles Watson, was in the Chevron at the time of the robbery. The boy is the son of Forrest’s girlfriend, Meadows said, and was able to provide police with a description of the suspect. Police are looking for that man and a second suspect who left in a red Monte Carlo, Meadows said.

The boy did not see the shooting, he added.

The APD is interviewing several witnesses Sunday.

Al Mitchell, who first trained Forrest when he was an amateur and then as a pro since 2000, said Forrest was “a guy who did everything right.”

“He didn’t take drugs. He wasn’t involved with gangs. He lived his life the right way. He was a gentleman,” said Mitchell, who learned of the news through Forrest’s manager, Charles Watson.

“I trained a lot of kids ... and most of them are now teachers or doing something else. They’re all good role models. They understand what life is about. They take care of their family. Vernon was like that. He took care of his mother, his sister, his son. He took care of his friends. How can something like this happen? Just in the wrong place at the wrong time – that’s all it was.”

Forrest, a longtime Atlanta resident, started boxing at age 9 and won his first major title in 2001, when he defeated Raul Frank for the IBF welterweight title. He is a recent WBC middleweight champ and 1992 Olympian who had a 41-3 career record with 29 knockouts.

He achieved long-sought recognition with two wins over “Sugar” Shane Mosley in 2002 that earned him the title of Ring Magazine’s Fighter of the Year.

“My goal, once I’m done, is to be considered one of the best boxers in my era,” Forrest told the AJC in 2007.

Forrest beat Ricardo Mayorga in 2003 for the WBC welterweight title and WBA super welterweight title. In 2007, he won the WBC light middleweight title against Carlos Baldomir.

In his last major match-up, in 2008, he reclaimed his WBC 154-pound title at age 37 after battering his rival, 27-year-old Sergio Mora in a unanimous decision.

Forrest was also involved in charity work. He started Destiny’s Child Inc., which provided housing and assistance to mentally challenged adults.

Mitchell says “The Viper” was training to fight again.

“He told me his plan was to fight again in September and then fight for the title in December,” Mitchell said. “He was supposed to call me this week with details.

-- Staff writers Jeff Schultz, Alyse Knorr and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/boxer-vernon-forrest-100921.html

Quazar

Augusta, GA—We have the information on memorial services for Vernon Forrest.

According to Vernon Forrest’s family:

A public memorial service will be held Saturday, August 1st at the James Brown Arena. That memorial service will start at 2:00 p.m., and everyone is invited to attend. (At this point, officials with the James Brown Arena have yet to confirm the event)

Forrest’s funeral service will be held in Atlanta, on Monday August 3rd, at the New Birth Missionary Church, starting at 1:00 p.m.

Would go if I didn't have to work. :/

Quazar

V. Klitschko, Arreola reach deal

RING said:
Vitali Klitschko and Chris Arreola have reached an agreement to fight on Sept. 26 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, according to a reliable source.

Arreola turned down an offer to fight THE RING’s No. 1-rated heavyweight and the WBC titleholder on Sept. 12 because he felt he wouldn’t have enough time to prepare but accepted a second offer to fight two weeks later.

Klitschko thought he had a deal in place to defend his belt against David Haye on Sept. 12 in Germany but Haye decided to fight Nikolai Valuev instead, which opened the door for the undefeated Arreola (27-0, 24 knockouts).

Klitschko (37-2, 36 KOs) has fought twice at Staples Center, losing to Lennox Lewis because of a cut but proving his toughness in 2003 and stopping Corrie Sanders the following year. The Ukrainian is 2-0 in his comeback after a four-year hiatus.

The will be Arreola’s first opportunity to fight for a major title.

The brawler from Riverside, Calif., rated No. 6 by THE RING, has never fought at nearby Staples Center. He is coming off a fourth-round knockout of Jameel McCline in April.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/933/v_klitschko_arreola_reach_deal/

Awww shit!

Not enough Vernon love from GAF.

Quazar

AP said:
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP)—A Brazilian police investigation has determined that the death of boxer Arturo Gatti was a suicide and a court has ordered the release of his wife, once suspected of killing him, officials said Thursday.

Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press authorities found that Gatti killed himself on July 11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.

When asked if police had determined the case was a suicide, Alberes said “yes.” He offered no other details, but said he would hold a news conference later in the day.

A day after Gatti was found dead, police said that his 23-year-old Brazilian wife, Amanda Rodrigues, had strangled him with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.

But police began to back off the accusation about a week later after a coroner’s report said that Gatti may have killed himself as he was found hanged and suspended. Rodrigues’ lawyer said at the time that proved his client’s innocence because she could not have physically lifted Gatti.

A spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state court in the city of Recife confirmed that judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima ordered the release of Rodrigues.

The judge wrote in the ruling that police informed the court that “the detention of the suspect was no longer needed” as the investigation “excludes the possibility of murder.”

“The victim … committed suicide by hanging,” Lima’s ruling read, referring to the police investigation findings.

Rodrigues will walk out of jail Thursday afternoon, said her lawyer, Celio Avelino.

Gatti was found dead in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the resort town of Porto de Galinhas.

The pair, who had a tumultuous marriage, had arrived there a few days before Gatti’s death for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their 10-month-old son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues’ family in Brazil.

The 37-year-old Gatti, who captured two world titles in his 16-year pro career, retired in 2007 with a record of 40-9.

Gatti’s family and friends in his adopted hometown of Montreal have denied the accusation the boxer could have killed himself.

“Nobody believes whatsoever that there’s even a 1 percent chance of a suicide. He lived life to the fullest,” Ivano Scarpa, a close Gatti family friend, said at the boxer’s July 20 funeral service in Canada.

But Rodrigues, in a July 15 letter that she handed over to the AP from prison, said: “I’m innocent and I know that this will be proven in a few days.”

Associated Press Writer Tales Azzoni in Sao Paulo contributed to this report.

Uhhh

Quazar

August 1
At Rancho Mirage, Calif. (Showtime): Timothy Bradley Jr. vs. Nate Campbell, 12 rounds, for Bradley's WBO junior welterweight title; Devon Alexander vs. Junior Witter, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC junior welterweight title; Abraham Lopez vs. Edward Utorov, 6 rounds, featherweights; Alberto Herrera vs. John Red Tomahawk, 4 rounds, junior middleweights; Kaliesha West vs. Rolanda Andrews, 6 or 8 rounds, female bantamweights; Andrae Carthron vs. Ethen Cox, 4 rounds, heavyweights; Jonathan Arellano vs. Fernando Moreno, 4 rounds, junior featherweights

Coming on Showtime in 3 minutes.

soyboy

Devon gets the weak win & the belt. Whitter left a lot to be desired in the ring. It'll be interesting when it comes out why he quit.

soyboy

wow!

Showtime has to be really disappointed with the fights tonight. Campbell was robbed. It's pretty clear that the gash came from the headbutt.

DarienA

Nate Campbell's ploy to get the No Contest... FAILED! :lol

It was a headbutt, too bad for Nate. Nate shouldn't have tried that ploy.

cthoaa

I didn't watch, but I'm a little surprised/impressed by the Angulo-Rosado result. Rosado's not the best, but he fights to make it to the end. Getting him out in short order is pretty strong.

Quazar

cthoaa said:
I didn't watch, but I'm a little surprised/impressed by the Angulo-Rosado result. Rosado's not the best, but he fights to make it to the end. Getting him out in short order is pretty strong.

Was an awkward first KD by Angulo. Ros was looking like he was waiting for the ref to step in or something. Let his guard down. Wrong guy too do that to. He got KD 2 times after.

edit: He's fighting again in a couple months as well on the undercard for Dawson fight. Already had it ligned before Rosado fight. lol

Quazar

Bute-Andrade II on HBO B.A.D.

RING said:
The Lucian Bute-Librado Andrade rematch will take place Nov. 28 in either Montreal or Quebec City and be featured on HBO’s Boxing After Dark.

Am I the only one who never noticed the B.A.D?

cthoaa

I don't see Andrade reproducing that would-have-been last minute stoppage. It wasn't that it came through luck as he was working hard, tiring Bute in the process, but I remember Bute winning pretty handily before that and he seems professional enough to correct himself and not falter down the stretch. I like Bute with his skills and possible stamina issues over Andrade with his constant agression backed by an iron chin.

Also...

Pavlik fight is set for Oct. 3

YOUNGSTOWN — Kelly Pavlik finally has an opponent.

Pavlik’s promoters have reached a preliminary agreement for the middleweight champion to fight Paul “The Punisher” Williams on Oct. 3 in Atlantic City, N.J., according to a source familiar with the situation.

HBO will televise the bout. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Top Rank Boxing, which promotes Pavlik, is planning a press conference for Aug. 18 in New York.
Negotiations were said to be at a stalemate, but it wouldn't surprise me if, instead of waiting for the teams to come to terms, HBO just kicked in more money to make both sides happy. They (HBO) are kinda under the gun, first in the PPV market from a dominating UFC, and now from a resurgent Showtime with its "Super Six" and a fairly consistent ESPN that occasionally pops up with a big fight.

Oh man, I just started watching Jones Jr. - Lacy in the 8th round. They were clinching almost the entire time but the ref refused to break it up. :lol

BigKaboom2 said:
Oh man, I just started watching Jones Jr. - Lacy in the 8th round. They were clinching almost the entire time but the ref refused to break it up. :lol

not watching it but from what im reading Jones is tooling Lacy. Man i had such high hopes for Left Hook when he first broke out. That destruction by Calzaghe pretty much ruined him.

cthoaa

2zqra55.jpg

Tonight's BAD:

Daniel Jacobs vs. Ishe Smith - vacant WBO NABO middleweight title
Malcolm Klassen(c) vs Robert Guerrero - IBF super featherweight title
Juan Diaz vs. Paulie Malignaggi (weigh-in video)

-I like Juan Diaz a lot. I like Paulie more, but I don't think the night will end well for him. If Diaz fights as well as he did in the early going of the Marquez fight and if Paulie fails to establish and control space like he did in the Hatton fight, Diaz might earn a stoppage. If Diaz gets a cut, anything can happen.

-Diaz's last 5 (Freitas, Jul.Diaz, Campbell, Katsidis, JMM) looks good.

-In the above pic, Klaseen looks like a young Trinidad. (Or even an old one -- Tito's basically the same.)

-Guerrero, who just left 126 earlier this year, looks bigger than either main eventer.

rlalkire

wow..... watching that fight Malignaggi should have won that! I personally thought that Malignaggi was being a crybaby before the fight, but after that decision he got robbed. He controlled that fight 90% of the time.

I can see either winning 155/113 or a draw. Those other 2 scores were horrid.

Max Kellerman should be fired for giving a speech basically saying that Diaz is the more exciting fighter and makes the most $ so he should win regardless of whatever transpired.

And people wonder why MMA is so popular.....

xPowerPadDeathStompx said:
Max Kellerman should be fired for giving a speech basically saying that Diaz is the more exciting fighter and makes the most $ so he should win regardless of whatever transpired.

I think he was just trying to explain why the decision went the way it did

rlalkire

I stopped watching pretty much after the fight, but i re-winded to see what Kellerman reported. Basically, What I understood Kellerman to say was that is was a popularity contest. Which is complete crap. I still feel that Malignaggi controlled and directed that fight, and should have won.

cthoaa

"Boxing is full of shit!" - Paulie Malignaggi

"The marketplace spoke." - Max Kellerman

"Mallia... Maglonad... Paulie." - Lennox Lewis :D

I wasn't sure how Malignaggi would take things as his behavior towards Diaz following the decision was respectful, but he let everything out in the post-fight interview. I hope it could make a difference somehow, but really I'm sure it'll just be Paulie suffering some blowback.

118-110 is really indicative of the way things about the sport have been lately: rotten.

Happy for Guerrero, though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
yet another great decision...you know.. 118 110 is beyond bullshit..paulie had all the right in the world to mouth off..it was a close fight..paulie won without a doubt..but hell come on at least pretend youre not giving it away..diaz certainly did enough to make it close but rounds 9 and on were almost all paulie..

DarienA

cthoaa said:
"Boxing is full of shit!" - Paulie Malignaggi

"The marketplace spoke." - Max Kellerman

"Mallia... Maglonad... Paulie." - Lennox Lewis :D

I wasn't sure how Malignaggi would take things as his behavior towards Diaz following the decision was respectful, but he let everything out in the post-fight interview. I hope it could make a difference somehow, but really I'm sure it'll just be Paulie suffering some blowback.

118-110 is really indicative of the way things about the sport have been lately: rotten.

Happy for Guerrero, though.

Screw Bob Papa for saying Paulie shouldn't have said anything. Boxers need to step up and say when shit is wrong and friggin announcers need to do the same. Teddy Atlas would have said something, Larry Merchant would have said MORE than Max did... Paulie got ripped off plain and simple, and as you said... its all that's wrong with Boxing... and it makes it so hard to love this sport....

cthoaa

DarienA said:
Screw Bob Papa for saying Paulie shouldn't have said anything. Boxers need to step up and say when shit is wrong and friggin announcers need to do the same. Teddy Atlas would have said something, Larry Merchant would have said MORE than Max did... Paulie got ripped off plain and simple, and as you said... its all that's wrong with Boxing... and it makes it so hard to love this sport....
I know, right? In fairness to Papa, he may have been trying (albeit poorly) to soften words with Malignaggi's best interests in mind, but there was no need for that: Paulie was in a position to make a statement so he "put his balls on the table" and said what needed saying.

I loved everything about the post-fight interview, including Kellerman's timing and direction with his questions. When Malignaggi said "I used to love this sport", it was sad, but also powerful. Throught the interview, you could hear his respect for his fellow competitor and his desire to perform in front of a crowd, but also his total frustration with the state of things. Had he said what he said in front of any other crowd (or more specifically, had they been in a neutral arena), he would have been cheered.

Anyway, the fight was good, the scores were bad. The post-fight theater was absolutely compelling, but man... sometimes I could really do without the drama that doesn't involve the two guys in the ring hitting each other.

I just watched Diaz - Malignaggi. Obviously Diaz was going to win the decision no matter what, but I actually think he did enough to win, crappy judges aside. As far as punches landed, the difference was only 13 according to Compubox. Malignaggi was throwing a hell of a lot but they really weren't connecting for the most part. Diaz threw about 300 fewer overall but was still landing the same amount, and had a 123-80 advantage in power punches.

This reminds me of the first Hopkins-Taylor fight, where I scored it for Hopkins on the strength of his counterpunching while Taylor was delivering a lot of volume but not much substance. I don't remember a single shot of Paulie's that looked like it was really devastating, while Diaz had quite a few. It's hard to even apply the judging guidelines to a fight like this though.

Calzaghe too had a lot of fights that he won just by throwing nonstop and it always left a bitter taste in my mouth. :\

I've not seen the Diaz fight but from what a lot of people have said, it seems it could have gone either way. Having said that everyone is pissed at the 118-110 scorecard. I'll have to try and catch it somewhere.

In other news, has anyone read about the WBC 'Diamond' belt that will be awarded to the victor of Pac - Cotto? Just what boxing needs, another shitty belt thrown into the mix.

theBishop

Banned
Malignaggi was robbed. I said 7 rounds to 5 before Lederman's score was read, and it's hard to see much give on that. 118-110 is an insult to the fighters and to the sport.

Everything Malignaggi said in the post-fight interview was absolutely right. Because of corrupt scores, he is barred from a tier of fights which Diaz does not deserve. I don't think either of these guys have the skills to be mentioned alongside Cotto or Mayweather (let alone Pacquiao), but Diaz hasn't even earned the opportunity in my opinion.

theBishop said:
Malignaggi was robbed. I said 7 rounds to 5 before Lederman's score was read, and it's hard to see much give on that. 118-110 is an insult to the fighters and to the sport.

Everything Malignaggi said in the post-fight interview was absolutely right. Because of corrupt scores, he is barred from a tier of fights which Diaz does not deserve. I don't think either of these guys have the skills to be mentioned alongside Cotto or Mayweather (let alone Pacquiao), but Diaz hasn't even earned the opportunity in my opinion.

How can you have it 7 - 5 and then call robbery? 7 - 5 sounds like a close fight that could have gone either way to me. If it was 10 - 2 then fair enough.

Top Bottom