• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Floyd spanked Juan all this fight.

Hate on him outside the ring all you want. In the ring he is a f'n technician.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
what a mismatch horrible fight absolutely horrible. As soon as PBF didnt make the stipulated weight JMM shouldn't have accepted the fight.

I'm pretty sure he (JMM) did all for the money, he is probably getting more in this fight than in 5 of his previous fights combined.

I'm surprised he lasted 12 rounds with this kind of beating. Could this be what would happen to Pacman against Cotto?

this is JMM first fight in over 135lbs btw. The beating was coming.

DarienA

Error said:
what a mismatch horrible fight absolutely horrible. As soon as PBF didnt make the stipulated weight JMM shouldn't have accepted the fight.

I'm pretty sure he (JMM) did all for the money, he is probably getting more in this fight than in 5 of his previous fights combined.

I'm surprised he lasted 12 rounds with this kind of beating. Could this be what would happen to Pacman against Cotto?

I don't know, but I'll be there live to see it! ;)

That fight wasn't even hard for Floyd.

DarienA

Atrophis said:
Mayweather may as well be a ghost, he just cant be touched.

Fair play to Marquez for lasting the 12 though.

Yeah the way he was landing shots and just not being there when Juan countered was just unreal.

Esperado

Error said:

You think JMM would have backed out on a 3.8 million dollar pay day?

Darkman M

Weight aside floyd totally outclassed this guy in speed and skill, take away 3-4 pounds floyd still wins. Jmm gave pac all he could handle and floyd plays with this guy. Im saying it right now paq stands no chance against floyd.

You know to high hell, that Mayweather is gonna use this fight as the reason why he should be P4P king. Seeing that Pacman had trouble with Marquez, whereas Mayweather bullied him.

Blackface

Banned
Darkman M said:
Weight aside floyd totally outclassed this guy in speed and skill, take away 3-4 pounds floyd still wins. Jmm gave pac all he could handle and floyd plays with this guy. Im saying it right now paq stands no chance against floyd.

Did you just start watching boxing or something? You can't base future fights on old fights. Floyd was out boxed by Castillo. to the point where HBO announcers were saying it was a robbery Floyd won. Look up the compubox numbers, he landed more of everything, yet they still gave Floyd the win.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjaojqkGmk&feature=related

Floyd isn't the same fighter he was that night, and Pacman isn't the same fighter he was when he fought JMM.

Seriously, the more fight threads I read on Gaf, the more I realize it really is just a videogame thread.

harSon

Banned
Error said:

Technically, Cotto is the better fighter by far, but he didn't look all that great versus Clottey. But I guess you have to take his cut into consideration. I guess it depends if Cotto plays up to his potential, if he does, he wins an easy fight IMO

charsace

mysticstylez said:
You know to high hell, that Mayweather is gonna use this fight as the reason why he should be P4P king. Seeing that Pacman had trouble with Marquez, whereas Mayweather bullied him.
He has been the P4P best fighter in the world for a while now.

Brinbe

charsace said:
You're nuts that was a great match IMO. I love watching Floyd put on a show.
Same here, I could gives a fuck about a KO. That was a clinic put on by an all-time great. The type of shit to be analyzed and admired by generations to come.

DarienA

Brinbe said:
Same here, I could gives a fuck about a KO. That was a clinic put on by an all-time great. The type of shit to be analyzed and admired by generations to come.

Hell yes. I love watching Floyd fight. He is a such a technician in the ring, its friggin poetry.

Norml

charsace said:
You're nuts that was a great match IMO. I love watching Floyd put on a show.

I didn't see the whole fight but what I did was just the same cheap tactics- philly shell and never engaging for more than 5 seconds= boring imo

Brinbe said:
This. If you've won 10 rounds in a row there's no reason to take a chance going for a KO.

harSon

Banned
Trax416 said:
Did you just start watching boxing or something? You can't base future fights on old fights. Floyd was out boxed by Castillo. to the point where HBO announcers were saying it was a robbery Floyd won. Look up the compubox numbers, he landed more of everything, yet they still gave Floyd the win.

Floyd isn't the same fighter he was that night, and Pacman isn't the same fighter he was when he fought JMM.

Seriously, the more fight threads I read on Gaf, the more I realize it really is just a videogame thread.

It's no worse then people saying Manny is better than Floyd because he disposed of Hatton and De La Hoya quickly, disregarding the fact that Floyd and Pacquiao are completely different in fighting style.

DarienA

Esperado said:
For those of us not watching PPV right now, what's the jist of what he said? :lol

What you think... you know that was a great fight Floyd but you should fight me. (loudly, and repeatedly), and I like Shane... that was just wrong.

Trax416 said:

Example:

Great post, I agree 100%.

Styles make fights. People using the JMM-Pac fights as proxies for what would happen in a May-Pac fight are silly. Same as the ones using this fight as a proxy for Cotto-Pac.

Atrophis

WTF at the in ring interview? Guy with the mic wouldn't shut the hell up to let Mayweather answer. Thought Floyd was gonna throw a punch at him :lol

Blackface

Banned
harSon said:
It's no worse then people saying Manny is better than Floyd because he disposed of Hatton and De La Hoya quickly, disregarding the fact that Floyd and Pacquiao are completely different in fighting style.

Right, but the people in here are clueless. I am not saying Manny is going to win. I am saying don't count him out, he is one of the best in the world and has looked JUST as impressive recently as Floyd.

You can't base future fights on old fights. Period. It's stupid. Everyone looks bad sometimes. And some people get gifted wins.

stats.jpg

stats2.jpg

Hopefully the Pacman Vs Floyd fight is great.

harSon

Banned
I love Shane. I can understand why he's angry, despite being towards the top of the weight class, he can't get a decent fight because his name no longer carries a nice price tag with it.

DarienA

harSon said:
I love Shane. I can understand why he's angry, despite being towards the top of the weight class, he can't get a decent fight because his name no longer carries a nice price tag with it.

Yeah but this isn't the way to get that fight.

charsace

Bauer Action Hour said:
Great post, I agree 100%.

Styles make fights. People using the JMM-Pac fights as proxies for what would happen in a May-Pac fight are silly. Same as the ones using this fight as a proxy for Cotto-Pac.
I know what you're saying, but Manny has had problems with guys that choose to sit and counter punch him. Morales and JMM did it to him and he had a hard time with it. Floyd is on a his own level in regards to counter punching and defensive boxing overall. If Manny fights Floyd and only aims for a KO he would get embarrassed.

Darkman M

Trax416 said:

Example:

We can put all those fight aside and i still say pac can not beat floyd in my eyes period. I don't think Pacs offensive game can break floyd's defense. I don't need this fight to determine in my mind floyd can beat pac handily. :lol Guess we'll just have to hope for the fight, every fight floyd wins it seems people try to discredit his work with "He can't beat this boxer" but he continues to do it.

DarienA

Floyd was awesome once again. I for one always enjoy his fights. I don't need a KO to say damn that was a good fight. A fight who can land his combination at will, doesn't get hit that is true artistry.

Darkman M said:
We can put all those fight aside and i still say pac can not beat floyd in my eyes period. I don't think Pacs offensive game can break floyd's defense. I don't need this fight to determine in my mind floyd can beat pac handily. :lol Guess we'll just have to hope for the fight, every fight floyd wins it seems people try to discredit his work with "He can't beat this boxer" but he continues to do it.

I don't know anyone who was saying that PBF was going to lose this fight without hedging it with statements like, "I'm making a wild bet not based on reality."

::yawn:: Any person who keeps up with boxing would've predicted this outcome... (Right after the weights were called yesterday I said "12 Rounds Decision for PBF. The end", said it to all my uncles who expected a knockout... They laughed.)

It was natural for a fight between two counter punchers to go the distance like tonight.

Marquez looked extremely slow in this match, and all his punches looked extremely heavy and lacked any power whatsoever (even the ones that did connect). His eyes told the story...he wasn't comfortable throughout any point within the match, while Mayweather was just cruising. (Well really who was surprised, Marquez was 10lbs over weight fighting a guy was already a natural welterweight to begin with.) The match was over before the first bell rung...a mismatch from the very beginning.

But anyways, 50$ richer...

A Pacquiao vs. Mayweather fight would be awesome, much more fireworks than the crap that was shown tonight. 142lbs though, that would give both fighters even disadvantage in regards to weight.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Darkman M said:
What fight did you watch?

same one as you. I wanted a fight, but mayweather didn't deliver. Step back, run like a bitch, and counter. same shit as always.

Hopefully Pac-man steps it up with Mayweather.

Quazar

Predictable fight, but Floyd did look great. I'm just happy he's back and not wasting his talent. When he left you could see he was at his best time in his career. Funny seeing the Manny bandwagon losing a wheel.

Excited for next week. Arreola looks to be in his best shape.

facepalm007 said:
::yawn:: Any person who keeps up with boxing would've predicted this outcome... (Right after the weights were called yesterday I said "12 Rounds Decision for PBF. The end", said it to all my uncles who expected a knockout... They laughed.)

It was natural for a fight between two counter punchers to go the distance like tonight.

Marquez looked extremely slow in this match, and all his punches looked extremely heavy and lacked any power whatsoever (even the ones that did connect). His eyes told the story...he wasn't comfortable throughout any point within the match, while Mayweather was just cruising. (Well really who was surprised, Marquez was 10lbs over weight fighting a guy was already a natural welterweight to begin with.) The match was over before the first bell rung...a mismatch from the very beginning.

But anyways, 50$ richer...

A Pacquiao vs. Mayweather fight would be awesome, much more fireworks than the crap that was shown tonight. 142lbs though, that would give both fighters even disadvantage in regards to weight.
If Pacquiao wants to fight Mayweather he should move up in weight. It isn't like Mayweather started his career at welterweight either.

Top Bottom