• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Why are people assuming pacman will beat cotto? this is pacman first fight against a TRUE welterweight..

Honestly after this fight I'm really having my doubts, the difference in weight can be a decisive factor in that cotto/pac fight.

harSon

Banned
Verano said:
same one as you. I wanted a fight, but mayweather didn't deliver. Step back, run like a bitch, and counter. same shit as always.

Hopefully Pac-man steps it up with Mayweather.

People like this annoy me, reminds me of the type of person who can't appreciate a defensive struggle in Football. Hell, defense is under appreciated in pretty much every sport out there.

nib95

Banned
Who was that pretentious and condescending HBO interviewer, who did indeed keep interrupting Mayweather in his after fight speech? What a twat.

As soon as I saw the HBO logo and the interviewer in my head I was thinking "Why?". Should have had one of the Sky Brit boys on it. You know, journalists who actually show some respect for a fighter who not only just won the fight, but fought sublimely.

That HBO guy needs to be fired.

Anyway, great fight. Mosley doesn't really interest me though. It's all about Mayweather vs Paquiao now.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
nib95 said:
Who was that pretentious and condescending HBO interviewer, who did indeed keep interrupting Mayweather in his after fight speech? What a twat.

As soon as I saw the HBO logo and the interviewer in my head I was thinking "Why?". Should have had one of the Sky Brit boys on it. You know, journalists who actually show some respect for a fighter who not only just won the fight, but fought sublimely.

Anyway, great fight. Mosley doesn't really interest me though. It's all about Mayweather vs Paquiao now.

Max Kellerman, not exactly my favorite commentator either... would have rather had Larry Merchant in there tonight.

Darkman M

Error said:
Why are people assuming pacman will beat cotto? this is pacman first fight against a TRUE welterweight..

Honestly after this fight I'm really having my doubts, the different in weight can be a decisive factor in that cotto/pac fight.

I agree with this post.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
harSon said:
People like this annoy me, reminds me of the type of person who can't appreciate a defensive struggle in Football. Hell, defense is under appreciated in pretty much every sport out there.

I find most annoying people who find annoying people that expect too much of a boxing match.
:p

harSon

Banned
DarienA said:
Max Kellerman, not exactly my favorite commentator either... would have rather had Larry Merchant in there tonight.

I hate Larry's old man rants though, when he looks down, raises his head and stares straight into the camera, proceeding to ramble on about something that ends up being totally off topic and unimportant :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
People like this annoy me, reminds me of the type of person who can't appreciate a defensive struggle in Football.

yup - it's baffling. Boxing also has the extra danger that a good punch from anyone can pretty much take out any other boxer.

So some of the greatest boxers of all time are the careful tacticians. Mayweather dismantled this guy and remained focused for the duration and didn't do anything stupid, adding a convincing win against someone who -could- have potentially caused him some trouble.

Quazar

harSon said:
I hate Larry's old man rants though, when he looks down, raises his head and stares straight into the camera, proceeding to ramble on about something that ends up being totally off topic and unimportant :lol

He's deep man

nib95

Banned
WhiteAce said:
yup - it's baffling. Boxing also has the extra danger that a good punch from anyone can pretty much take out any other boxer.

So some of the greatest boxers of all time are the careful tacticians. Mayweather dismantled this guy and remained focused for the duration and didn't do anything stupid, adding a convincing win against someone who -could- have potentially caused him some trouble.

I actually think round 9 onwards Mayweather almost let Marquez survive the fight. Out of respect, not pity mind.

charsace

Verano said:
I find most annoying people who find annoying people that expect too much of a boxing match.
:p
Its a professional boxing match what were you expecting? If you want to see a brawl go search for fight on youtube.

Quazar

charsace said:
Its a professional boxing match what were you expecting? If you want to see a brawl go search for fight on youtube.

Or just watch JMM's last fight. Maybe he was expecting something similar.

DarienA

harSon said:

True, but during the fight and with interviews I'm cool with him.

BamYouHaveAids said:
If Pacquiao wants to fight Mayweather he should move up in weight. It isn't like Mayweather started his career at welterweight either.
Sort of true...Manny did go up to 147lbs against De La Hoya, and did so moving up from straight up lightweight. (Although I thought he did look slower in that match than previous matches.)

I guess I would change it to 144lbs...not my personal sweet spot for this match, but it's definitely within both the fighters ranges.

Of course when it comes to this fight, the way they split the money would be the one thing that would stop this fight from happening.

EDIT ADDED @ Below: ::nods head:: That's what I thought as well...

alterno69

Banned
I think the difference in weight was just too much, of course Marquez did it for the money but he knew he was giving too much of a handicap.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
charsace said:

I wanted to see mayweather loosen up a bit and knock out Marquez.
:'(

But whatever. Im looking forward for Pac and cotto's match. Should be an interesting fight.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i dont konw why this fight even happened...the mismatch was staggering...bigger stronger faster a better athlete and more technically proficient...did anyone really expect mayweather to loose?..id really like to see him fight mosley..but im pretty sure hes going to go back to his 'retirement' untill they announce the winner of pac/cotto

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anyone who was expecting a brawl was on the wrong PPV channel :lol

It's PBF.

puebla

as expected the weight, reach, and speed advantage was too much for juan. i was hoping that he would land one big punch but he couldn't even land anything.

shane mosley is really the only guy who has a legitimate chance at beating floyd, it aint pacquiao.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
2m7u4ud.jpg

Norml said:
I didn't see the whole fight but what I did was just the same cheap tactics- philly shell and never engaging for more than 5 seconds= boring imo

Verano said:
same one as you. I wanted a fight, but mayweather didn't deliver. Step back, run like a bitch, and counter. same shit as always.

Hopefully Pac-man steps it up with Mayweather.

You guys should switch to backyard brawls on youtube. You'll be better satisfied.

That was a technical masterpiece. Marquez is a smart fighter and has mixed it up with many but it was clear that he had no answer for Floyd at any level.

Looks like working with his Dad has really helped Floyd become functional with his jab. This in turn kept him more active than normal where he might be just inclined to sit on lead hooks and rights. It also went a long way to keep Marquez off balance as he was constantly getting tagged with sharp jabs to the head and body.

Floyd still had some timing issues due to ring rust but they got better as the fight went on. He was having trouble with his right hand leads and lean back counters but improved on them steadily throughout the fight. You could see he wasn't loading them up as much though in the later rounds as he was trying to work on getting his timing back. The left hook timing was still there.

The most impressive thing tonight was the jab though. We can a textbook display of how a jab can dominate a fight. Anytime Marquez tried to gain momentum, Floyd simply jabbed him until he got demoralized. I'm quite certain such jab usage wasn't expected by the Marquez camp.

At 32, Floyds handspeed, footspeed and body movement looked as sharp as ever.

Only just seen HHH walk out with PBF :lol

I love Pac-man from years ago, and quite simply think he can put the pain on PBF..but I think PBF is too quick and will effectively avoid Pacmans more powerful attacks

nib95 said:

Are you being serious? Sky's boxing covereage isn't even the best in the UK. As for calling them 'journalists'? :lol

Re: last night's fight, why are people going overboard with the PBF praise? He won a fight that he was expected to win handily and he couldn't even be bothered to come in at the contracted weight. I hope this puts to bed any argument about PBF not being a 'legit' welter now, seeing as he couldn't make 144. A lot of fanboys can't trot out that excuse anymore when it comes to his abysmal record of fighting the genuine welters out there.

Yea count me off the Pacman bandwagon...Mayweather's gonna pound the shit out of him.

And Pac will beat Cotto. Cotto's a fatass - he'll be winded by the 4th round chasing that little Filipino midge et around the ring.

But Mayweather-Pac ain't even fair. Pac should stick to junior welter bouts.

Kellerman: He's definately a pro-Mayweather guy, I thought Mayweather took offense..but yea, I could see how Kellerman could have done better. In all honesty I think Kellerman probably wanted to get Floyd back for how he treated the Brian Kenny interview.

charsace said:
Floyd is arrogant, but he isn't a dick. He has a reason to be arrogant seeing as how he is one of the most dominant boxers of all time.

Manny beat a past prime Hoya that had to cut a ton of weight to fight him. Because of that people thought he could beat Floyd. If they fight Floyd will kill him. Speed alone won't beat Floyd.

JMM has a similar style and Manny had trouble with him. Floyd would embarrass him.

Really? There's no denying his skills but I wouldn't go so far as to label him one of the most dominant boxers of all-time. Boxing is a 'What have you done for me lately sport?' and unfortunately for Floyd he hasn't done anything of note for years. It'll be interesting to see where PBF goes from here if Cotto wins against (still not sure if he's damaged goods from the Marga fight myself but if he's not I fully expect him to take Pac out). That'll leave him with the choice of SSM, Cotto or Williams if he comes back down, can you see PBF making these fights?

DarienA said:
Why is Shane in there disrespecting Floyd? This is Floyd's interview time.

Floyd needs to be disrespected to get him in a real fight against a real Welterweight. It's funny how when the smaller guys call Floyd out, he hears them loud and clear (Hatton, Marquez) yet SSM disrespects him to his face and Floyd shat a brick.

I'm all for any action that'll get PBF into a legit welter bout.

Tom_Cody

Wow, that was one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen. Going into this fight I considered Marquez to be the number 2 technical fighter in the sport and Mayweather absolutely humiliated him. I never thought I'd see Marquez miss wildly like that.

Bring on Mosley, Cotto, and Pacquaio. I'd buy any of the PPVs.

DarienA

J Tourettes said:
Floyd needs to be disrespected to get him in a real fight against a real Welterweight. It's funny how when the smaller guys call Floyd out, he hears them loud and clear (Hatton, Marquez) yet SSM disrespects him to his face and Floyd shat a brick.

I'm all for any action that'll get PBF into a legit welter bout.

You call that back and forth between the two Floyd getting scared? No bias peeking through there right?

I'm sorry did any smaller guys come in and do a Kanye during Floyd's interview time in a match? Can't say I remember that.

I'm all for people calling people out, just not in the ring after a victory interrupting an interview. Call em out at a press conference, or my favorite call em out after the fight when the victor is pointing out people in the audience. I didn't like when I was sitting ringside in CT when Chad Dawson did it in the ring to Antonio Tarver and I don't like it now. That's not the way you do it.

DarienA said:
You call that back and forth between the two Floyd getting scared? No bias peeking through there right?

I'm sorry did any smaller guys come in and do a Kanye during Floyd's interview time in a match? Can't say I remember that.

I'm all for people calling people out, just not in the ring after a victory interrupting an interview. Call em out at a press conference, or my favorite call em out after the fight when the victor is pointing out people in the audience. I didn't like when I was sitting ringside in CT when Chad Dawson did it in the ring to Antonio Tarver and I don't like it now. That's not the way you do it.

Well I think PBF looked uneasy/uncomfortable.

When all other avenues have been exhausted, you gotta do what you gotta do. It was blatantly stage managed by Goldenboy anyway, just wasn't sure if they let PBF in on it, unless HHH has been giving pretty boy some acting tips. It's not exactly like SSM did a Kanye anyway. He was a co-promoter of the fight so had a right to be in the ring and PBF beckoned him over to talk. Big difference IMO.

How else could SSM get PBF in the ring in your opinion? We all know Floyd isn't really up for challenges nowadays, being so paranoid about protecting that '0'. My problem with PBF is one of frustration ie I know how skillful he is and I genuinely think that he could've gone down as one of the ATG's, if only he'd fought the best competition at the higher weights. I have no qualms with his record at 126, 130 and 135 but since then he's hardly fought a murders row of opposition.

Esperado

I like how the same argument, Hatton/de la Hoya, is used both to insult Mayweather's career while at the same time is used to glorify Pacquiao's career.

Jal

He's only lost one of his last eight against Cotto, i like Moseley and i think he has the best chance against PBF, Pacman would just end up the same fight as this one.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
What a masterpiece by Mayweather. The frustrating part about thought was that we all knew what a mismatch it would be. I dont know why he chooses to fight guys smaller than he is. I dont know if I would want him to fight Pac as he probably would pick him a part worse than he did Marquez. He would have a tougher time with Mosley or Cotto.

Kingpen

I thought mayweather would stomp Marquez... easy 10+ mil for him.

The next fight that needs to happen is Mayweather vs. winner of Cotto/Pacman.

That would be an epic fight either way. I'm pretty excited to see the heavyweight title fight this weekend. I don't think we have had one with this much potential in a long, long time.

Esperado

SSGMUN10000 said:
What a masterpiece by Mayweather. The frustrating part about thought was that we all knew what a mismatch it would be. I dont know why he chooses to fight guys smaller than he is. I dont know if I would want him to fight Pac as he probably would pick him a part worse than he did Marquez. He would have a tougher time with Mosley or Cotto.
I think Mayweather/Pacquiao would be a good fight. My opinion is that Pacquiao has a lot more power and momentum in his punches than Mayweather. Mayweather is blindingly fast, but his hits never seem to do the kind of damage you would expect. Maybe it's a compliment to his opponents, but I haven't felt like he's really been able to destroy anyone. He's broken some spirits, but he hasn't really been able to dominate like you would want a great champion to do. That said, I still enjoy his fights and I understand why he fights like he does. It's very low risk. I mean, the sport isn't called knockout, it's boxing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tom_Cody said:
Wow, that was one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen. Going into this fight I considered Marquez to be the number 2 technical fighter in the sport and Mayweather absolutely humiliated him. I never thought I'd see Marquez miss wildly like that.

Bring on Mosley, Cotto, and Pacquaio. I'd buy any of the PPVs.
If he didn't put a good performance against a totally gimped JMM then something would've been really wrong. Not taking anything from PBF he was impressive, but JMM was so gimped I just feel like the domination doesn't says anything to me.

It was JMM first fight in over 135lbs, some boxers make smooth transitions but for others it takes time. He was fighting a PBF that was, probably in that fight, at least 10lbs bigger than him. PBF also had a larger reach with the arm, and was a bigger guy couple that with PBF's speed, and I just don't see how he wasn't going to dominate.

JMM looked slow and uncomfortable in that weight, he's punching power is clearly not welterweight level. It was a totally one sided fight.

And Pac will beat Cotto. Cotto's a fatass - he'll be winded by the 4th round chasing that little Filipino midge et around the ring.
:rollseyes

Cotto has fought some of the best fighters in the welter division. That cheating fucker Margarito, Shane Mosley, Joshua Clottey... And Pacman? Some british brawler that thinks he has boxing skills and a dehydrated Golden Boy. None of which were true welterweights.

People are in for a surprise in the Cotto/Pac fight, just saying...

Error said:
If he didn't put a good performance against a totally gimped JMM then something would've been really wrong. Not taking anything from PBF he was impressive, but JMM was so gimped I just feel like the domination doesn't says anything to me.

It was JMM first fight in over 135lbs, some boxers make smooth transitions but for others it takes time. He was fighting a PBF that was, probably in that fight, at least 10lbs bigger than him. PBF also had a larger reach with the arm, and was a bigger guy couple that with PBF's speed, and I just don't see how he wasn't going to dominate.

JMM looked slow and uncomfortable in that weight, he's punching power is clearly not welterweight level. It was a totally one sided fight.

:rollseyes

Cotto has fought some of the best fighters in the welter division. That cheating fucker Margarito, Shane Mosley, Joshua Clottey... And Pacman? Some british brawler that thinks he has boxing skills and a dehydrated Golden Boy. None of which were true welterweights.

People are in for a surprise in the Cotto/Pac fight, just saying...

I'm putting some money on Cotto rounds 7 - 9 at 11/1. Having said that we still don't how much the Marga beating has affected him as he was cut in the Clottey fight so it's hard to judge from that performance. If Cotto hasn't been too badly affected I see no reason why he won't finish Pac within the distance.

My brother in law mentioned something that gives me some doubts about Manny's chances against Cotto. Against, Freddie Roach's wishes, he decided to train for the fight in the Philippines. Not too sure how much of a distraction that is going to be.

ragingadamo

Neo Member
Jamesfrom818 said:
My brother in law mentioned something that gives me some doubts about Manny's chances against Cotto. Against, Freddie Roach's wishes, he decided to train for the fight in the Philippines. Not too sure how much of a distraction that is going to be.

I'm not sure, I would argue that being away from his family for so long would be a distraction as well.

Last night's fight was amazing, while I knew that PBF would win it was still great to see him back in the ring.

I can't wait for the Pacquiao Cotto fight. Pacquiao is always exciting to watch.

Top Bottom