• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Error said:
:rollseyes

Cotto has fought some of the best fighters in the welter division. That cheating fucker Margarito, Shane Mosley, Joshua Clottey... And Pacman? Some british brawler that thinks he has boxing skills and a dehydrated Golden Boy. None of which were true welterweights.

People are in for a surprise in the Cotto/Pac fight, just saying...

You know, I'm totally with you on this one. I think people are mistakenly writing off Cotto because of what happened against Margarito. I know Pacquiao is a great fighter, but I doubt Cotto will not go down so easily. I think we're going to be in for an awesome treat come Nov. 14th.

If he didn't put a good performance against a totally gimped JMM then something would've been really wrong. Not taking anything from PBF he was impressive, but JMM was so gimped I just feel like the domination doesn't says anything to me.

It was JMM first fight in over 135lbs, some boxers make smooth transitions but for others it takes time. He was fighting a PBF that was, probably in that fight, at least 10lbs bigger than him. PBF also had a larger reach with the arm, and was a bigger guy couple that with PBF's speed, and I just don't see how he wasn't going to dominate.

JMM looked slow and uncomfortable in that weight, he's punching power is clearly not welterweight level. It was a totally one sided fight.

QFT +1

Whilst Floyd did look good, it's easy to look good against a fighter that was moving up two divisions.

Juan did not carry either his speed or his power, and for Floyd not to even make the agreed weight was downright insulting.

Floyd looked *much* bigger during the fight, and I reckon he was probably 10 pounds or more heavier on fight night.

Mayweather is undoubtedly a great, but his legacy will always be in question due to his cherry-picking smaller fighters.

He needs to fight Mosley, Cotto, Williams or even Clottey IMO.

Manny has got his props by stepping UP and excelling - he is not a natural WW.

Floyd needs to fight a WW contender, not some blown up lightweight.

If Manny does a number on Cotto, then I will entertain Mayweather vs Pacman, but I think Cotto will win in November, and I don't think Mayweather will entertain any of the real WW challenges.

It's a shame, because (a bit like Calzaghe), his legacy will always be questioned. To be honest I think Mayweather would likely win against any of the above, but he needs to step up and show it *against contenders at the same weight*

gollumsluvslave said:
QFT +1

Whilst Floyd did look good, it's easy to look good against a fighter that was moving up two divisions.

Juan did not carry either his speed or his power, and for Floyd not to even make the agreed weight was downright insulting.

Floyd looked *much* bigger during the fight, and I reckon he was probably 10 pounds or more heavier on fight night.

Mayweather is undoubtedly a great, but his legacy will always be in question due to his cherry-picking smaller fighters.

He needs to fight Mosley, Cotto, Williams or even Clottey IMO.

Manny has got his props by stepping UP and excelling - he is not a natural WW.

Floyd needs to fight a WW contender, not some blown up lightweight.

If Manny does a number on Cotto, then I will entertain Mayweather vs Pacman, but I think Cotto will win in November, and I don't think Mayweather will entertain any of the real WW challenges.

It's a shame, because (a bit like Calzaghe), his legacy will always be questioned. To be honest I think Mayweather would likely win against any of the above, but he needs to step up and show it *against contenders at the same weight*

Great post. The problem with a lot of Floyd fans on boxing forums I frequent is that they dismiss opponents out of hand ie 'Floyd would easily beat him, why should he fight him?' and that is the whole problem with Mayweather as well. Fair enough it is called proze fighting and the Manny fight is the biggest moneymaker out there at the mo but at what cost to PBF's legacy? I really hope Cotto does a number on Pac to throw a spanner in the works but the beating against Margacheato and the fact that he's going to have to come in at 145 is a worry to me.

Ps Having said all that I see no reason for Floyd to fight Clottey as I don't think it would enhance his record that much. Victory against SSM or Cotto on the other hand would give it some respectabilty at welterweight.

Zeliard

Agent Icebeezy said:
2m7u4ud.jpg

Wow. :lol

Marquez averaged like 5 punches landed a round.

Quazar

Kirkland receives relatively light sentence

RING said:
James Kirkland could be fighting again in less than a year.

The junior middleweight contender was sentenced Wednesday in federal court in Austin, Texas, to two years in prison for felony gun possession. However, he could resume training in nine months because of five months already served, time off for good behavior and the judge’s decision to put him in a half-way house for the final six months of his term.

Kirkland could’ve received up to about five years, according to federal guidelines.

“The judge [James Nowlin] told James he was impressed with the team you have around you,” said Michael Miller, Kirkland’s manager and an attorney. “He said, ‘I’m going to give you the opportunity to still box and make a living. I’ll be watching you and everyone else will be watching you. Let’s see what you can do.’

“We’re very happy. This is the best we could’ve expected. The range was 48 to 56 months, which is what federal prosecutors were asking. This is basically a miracle.”

Kirkland was on probation for felony armed robbery in 2003, which precludes him from possessing a gun. However, in April, he bought one at a gun show in Austin – using his own identification – and it was found by police when he was pulled over in a traffic stop.

Miller said Kirkland behaved stupidly, not maliciously, and has learned his lesson.

“I think he has,” said Miller, when asked whether Kirkland learned from this experience. “If he hasn’t, then he’s hopeless. This is his mulligan. He needs to go take advantage of it.”

Kirkland’s arrest put the brakes on a fast-rising career. The southpaw from Austin has knocked out all but three of his opponents with his swarming style and unusual punching power.

He will be only 26 when he is released from prison, assuming things go as planned. Miller said he and Oscar De La Hoya, who spoke on Kirkland’s behalf at the sentencing, discussed the possibility of Kirkland fighting in 10 months.

Kirkland (25-0, 22 knockouts) hasn’t fought since he knocked out Joel Julio in March in San Jose, Calif. So it’s possible that he will have been out of the ring only 16 months.

Miller expects Kirkland to serve his prison term at Bastrop Federal Correctional Institution in Bastrop, Texas, about 20 minutes outside of Austin. That would allow his family to visit him regularly.

And Kirkland’s attorneys will petition for the half-way house to be in Austin. Miller said Kirkland would be free to leave the half-way house from roughly 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. but would have to return in the evenings.

He'll be on probation for three years following his release.

And the Klitschko-Arreola final press conference: http://www.ringtv.com/video/klitschkoarreola_final_press_conference/

Vitali Klitschko vs Chris Arreola...

Will this be the nightmare for Christobal that nearly everyone is predicting?

At least Arreola has a sense of humour, weighing in @ 272, then taking off his t-shirt to show a weight-suit!

Klitschko looked in fantastic shape as he weighed in at 252, Arreola, didn't really look like he had really worked THAT hard in training weighed in @ 251

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=21294&more=1
180B9093.JPG

_PT39232.jpg

_PT39204.jpg

I'd love to be wrong and see Arreola give Vitali trouble, but this has mismatch spelled all over it to me - VK to stop this before 6 rounds.

Holy fuck yes.

A friend just invited me to see tonight's fight live at Staple's, free of charge.

I have never seen a fight live.

I am so fucking happy right now.

Edit: I like Vitali more as a boxer, but for the sake of the sport and the HW division, I'm going to be rooting for CA. He has a Buster Douglas type chance, but we all know how that went.

Arreola is a good boxer who I like a lot but coming at 251 and fat for the most important fight of your life is disgraceful. It's almost like he's said 'Fuck it, I'm going to try and take him out in the first 4 rounds and if I can't, I'm done!'

Heavyweights are a complete fucking joke at the mo.

Anyway, does anyone know what time nipple and Klit are supposed to be getting in the ring?

Quazar

I'm rooting for Chris!

Also: Hopkins motivated for Jones rematch in 2010

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1150/hopkins_motivated_for_jones_rematch_in_2010/

What a night this...

Saturday, October 17, 2009
Germany (Showtime)

Arthur Abraham (30-0-0, 24 KOs) vs. Jermain Taylor (28-2-1, 17 KOs)

12 Rounds - Super Middleweight Division

Nottingham, England (Showtime)

Carl Froch (24-0-0, 20 KOs) vs. Andre Dirrell (17-0-0, 12 KOs)

...will be. :D

Quazar said:
I'm rooting for Chris!

What a night this...

Germany (Showtime)

B-hop will destroy RJJ, AA should destroy JT and Carl Froch should outpoint Dirrell, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Dirrell outbox Froch. Dirrell is the real wildcard in the tourney for me.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Quazar said:
I'm rooting for Chris!

What a night this...

Germany (Showtime)

Yeah what a fight night that is. I am hoping Jermain pulls up the upset. He has all the skills but just lacking the stamina.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
xPowerPadDeathStompx said:
God damn, Klitschkos style looks goofy as fuck.

Arreola hasn't done shit....his wife is hot.

The HBO team has Vitalis cock really far into their mouths.

Yeah first 5 rounds has been all Vitali. Arreola needs to cut off the ring better and be rougher on the inside.

Chambers lays on the ropes/follows Wlad around trying to counter, he jiggles around the middle as he covers up. Wlad jabs jabs jabs for 9 or 10 rounds finally throws a right hand and hurts him in the 11th or so...and backs away and jabs some more.

UD win for Wlad.

Also, Arreola, less crying and more cutting off the ring and body work please

At least Cristobal still has a hot wife, it was sad seeing his kids crying like that though.

Disappointing fight though, not remotely competitive at all.

The HW division isn't that entertaining. The Klitschko's are just too good. They're unbeatable.

The only real money fight in the foreseeable future would be when the Klitschko's tie up all 4 belts, then get convinced to fight each other. Klitschko vs. Klitschko would be a good money maker.

Bishman

SSGMUN10000 said:
Yeah first 5 rounds has been all Vitali. Arreola needs to cut off the ring better and be rougher on the inside.
What a boring fight. All Vitali does is use basic boxing fundamentals.

Jab, jab, jab, jab, straight, jab, jab, jab, mix in a straight, then jab until the round is over.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Seems like another one-sided Klitschko jab-fest (haven't seen the fight yet).

I'll give some props to Arreola tho - I didn't expect him to make it to 10, so he must have showed some heart and grit.

Kingpen

If Cristobal had done some lunging home run punches in addition to what he already was doing by pressing Vitali and making him move with Cardio, I think the fight would have maybe gone his way as he probably could have clocked him and knocked him down.

Bishman said:
What a boring fight. All Vitali does is use basic boxing fundamentals.

Jab, jab, jab, jab, straight, jab, jab, jab, mix in a straight, then jab until the round is over.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

don't forget the occasional "turn around and literally run away from the guy who is smaller and weaker than you". Ladie's and gentlemen your heavyweight champion of the world!

A lot of Vitali hate in this thread. His style may be 'goofy as fuck' but it works well for him and it's up to his opponent to exploit the flaws in his style. As no one has managed to do that (since LL at least) he (or his brother) are the best in the division

As for all the proclamations of Heavyweight boxing being dead, I think they're a little chicken little. Just because there aren't any dominant American heavies it doesn't mean it's dead. Heavyweight boxing in Europe still packs the house and draws millions of viewers. If, on the other hand, you want to say there's a lack of talented heavies I would agree.

Quazar

October 2
At Newkirk, Okla. (Showtime): Allan Green vs. Tarvis Simms, 10 rounds, super middleweights; Antwone Smith vs. Henry Crawford, 10 rounds, welterweights; Marcus Johnson vs. Victor Villereal, 8 rounds, super middleweights; Tor Hamer vs. Howard Jones, 6 rounds, heavyweights; Tyrone Brunson vs. Marcos Primera, 8 rounds, junior middleweights; Willie Monroe vs. Tyson Schwieger, 4 or 6 rounds, middleweights; George Tahdooahnippah vs. Brooke Welby, 6 rounds, super middleweights; Daryl Hayes vs. Jason Farnell, 4 rounds, lightweights

11EST

J Tourettes said:
A lot of Vitali hate in this thread. His style may be 'goofy as fuck' but it works well for him and it's up to his opponent to exploit the flaws in his style. As no one has managed to do that (since LL at least) he (or his brother) are the best in the division

As for all the proclamations of Heavyweight boxing being dead, I think they're a little chicken little. Just because there aren't any dominant American heavies it doesn't mean it's dead. Heavyweight boxing in Europe still packs the house and draws millions of viewers. If, on the other hand, you want to say there's a lack of talented heavies I would agree.

He did look goofy. Flopping around weird, turning his back and running a lot. TRAVIS WALKER was able to drop Arreola. TRAVIS WALKER. Maybe Wlad infected him with his style or something.

Wlad is unpopular not because he is not an American, it's because he's boring as fuck. He looks like he is going to shart himself as soon as any punches come his way from an opponent. Look at his last few "fights".

6 rounds jabbing and jabbing and jabbing a SHOT Lamont Brewster.

12 rounds with Sultan Ibragimov in one of the worst heavyweight title fights of all time. He took 9 rounds to finally open up, knocks him down...then backs off and jabs till the end.

11 rounds with Tony Thompson. More jab jab jab. Thompson did NOTHING the whole fight until Wlad FINALLY decides to throw something and takes him out.

7 rounds with Hasim Rahmans corpse. Seriously. God awful. Rahman was a last minute replacement, if I remember correctly.

9 rounds with Ruslan Chagaev. Knocks him down with a crisp combo early and then backs off (WTF?) and jabs jabs jabs till Chagaev retires.

He should have plowed through those guys in 3 rounds tops. 5 fights in 2 years, no excitement from any of em. None of those guys should have been allowed to hang around like that.

xPowerPadDeathStompx said:
He did look goofy. Flopping around weird, turning his back and running a lot. TRAVIS WALKER was able to drop Arreola. TRAVIS WALKER. Maybe Wlad infected him with his style or something.

Wlad is unpopular not because he is not an American, it's because he's boring as fuck. He looks like he is going to shart himself as soon as any punches come his way from an opponent. Look at his last few "fights".

6 rounds jabbing and jabbing and jabbing a SHOT Lamont Brewster.

12 rounds with Sultan Ibragimov in one of the worst heavyweight title fights of all time. He took 9 rounds to finally open up, knocks him down...then backs off and jabs till the end.

11 rounds with Tony Thompson. More jab jab jab. Thompson did NOTHING the whole fight until Wlad FINALLY decides to throw something and takes him out.

7 rounds with Hasim Rahmans corpse. Seriously. God awful. Rahman was a last minute replacement, if I remember correctly.

9 rounds with Ruslan Chagaev. Knocks him down with a crisp combo early and then backs off (WTF?) and jabs jabs jabs till Chagaev retires.

He should have plowed through those guys in 3 rounds tops. 5 fights in 2 years, no excitement from any of em. None of those guys should have been allowed to hang around like that.

I was talking about Vitali, not Wlad. Wlad is over-cautious as he has a dodgey chin which results in the snooze fests. I do wish one of them would retire though as we'll never have a unified champ while they're both fighting.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn guys, THIS WAS THE FIGHT OF THE YEAR!! If you didn't watch this one you missed a true classic. Jesus... wow. I would buy this fight ten times. It was worth more than any other fight this year, hell even the past year.

Super Six starts this Friday.

:D

I pick Arthur Abraham and Frochy to win, although Dirrell seems fairly confident:-

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=21487&more=1
“When I get finished with Froch he'll have a look in his eyes as vacant as the title he won when Joe Calzaghe gave it up rather than waste his time with such a trivial defense," said Dirrell. “He wants me to stand up to the plate? I'm going to be slamming him with line drives and home runs from both sides of the plate like Mickey Mantle. Boxing and the U.K. will be thanking me for relieving them of Froch's greenhouse effect. I'm going to punch holes in that gasbag. His title reign will become vapor. If you ask me, Mr. Froch sounds more than a little worried about fighting me. I suggest he wear a diaper under his trunks so he doesn't embarrass himself in front of his fans while walking into the ring next Saturday. I said it before and I'll say it again, he can kiss my Yankee Doodle.."

:lol :lol :lol

Let's see if Dirrell can walk the walk, this could seriously backfire, as tho Froch can be mouthy at times, he can certainly back it up in the ring.

Probably the best evening of boxing I can remember for a while!

I don't see how Vitali's fight was more boring than Mayweather's. In fact, Vitali (802 punches) threw almost twice as many punches as Mayweather (493 punches).

And why the hell are there still people talking about Klitschko vs Klitschko? It will NEVER happen.

Top Bottom