• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Quazar said:
Well I agree with the outcome of the fight. I had Perez up by 2 at end. Hope for a rematch. DeMarco looked great tonight as well. Good luck against Valero I suppose.

I agree with ya, but the scores seemed a little lopsided for what I thought was a nearly dead even fight. Def want to see a rematch!

see5harp

I recall Freddie changing his prediction after saying Manny has gotten used to the weight and is hitting harder than ever. I think Cotto is going to take a lot of blows and will eventually wear down. I'm just doubtful Pacquaio is going to land a perfect shot in the first round. That would only happen if Cotto came out swinging like Hatton. Cotto doesn't seem that dumb to me.

see5harp said:
I recall Freddie changing his prediction after saying Manny has gotten used to the weight and is hitting harder than ever. I think Cotto is going to take a lot of blows and will eventually wear down. I'm just doubtful Pacquaio is going to land a perfect shot in the first round. That would only happen if Cotto came out swinging like Hatton and left his left down whilst walking backwards. Cotto doesn't seem that dumb to me.

Fixed.

I still think Cotto is going to smash Pac. Cotto is going to be the biggest, hardest hitting boxer that Manny has faced. Not forgetting that he can also box, something Pac has shown he has problems with in the past.

Unless Pac manages to go in and out all night withourt getting tagged, I see it being easier than many suspect for Cotto.

Haye - Valuev this Saturday. I've noticed that there's quite a buzz about it here (UK). People who never normally show an interest in boxing have been talking about. I suppose that's down to Sky advertising the fuck out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it managed 450-500k buys, which would be an extremely good number for Haye.

painey

Haye is doing all he can to promote, even down to not going to Cyprus to train like normal.. sadly I think Haye cares more about the money he will be getting than the belt.

I still think Cotto is going to smash Pac. Cotto is going to be the biggest, hardest hitting boxer that Manny has faced. Not forgetting that he can also box, something Pac has shown he has problems with in the past

I agree - I think Cotto is a much different proposition for Manny than either Hatton or a shot Oscar.

However, to me it depends on how much belief Cotto has got after Margarito and his dodgy decision against Clottey.

The intangibles could decide this one.

painey said:
Haye is doing all he can to promote, even down to not going to Cyprus to train like normal.. sadly I think Haye cares more about the money he will be getting than the belt.

I'm not so sure about that. I believe that Haye wants to be the undisputed HW champ but after the 'deal' he had to sign to fight the Klitschko's, I think he wants a title to use as a bargaining tool. The only money Haye was getting for possibly fighting the Klits 3 times was coming from Setanta. When they went tits up, Haye 'injured' his back so as not to fight for literally nothing.

gollumsluvslave said:
I agree - I think Cotto is a much different proposition for Manny than either Hatton or a shot Oscar.

However, to me it depends on how much belief Cotto has got after Margarito and his dodgy decision against Clottey.

The intangibles could decide this one.

That is my main worry. I'd like to think that Cotto has recovered psychologically from the Marga beatdown, thanks to the fact that he was discovered cheating. In Cotto's mind he now has an excuse for that loss ie not that he wasn't good enough, not that he was beat by the better man, not that he quit in a fair fight but that he was beaten by someone with artificially hardened handwraps.

We have no way of knowing if Marag did cheat in that fight but I think that's irrelevent to my point in the grand old scheme of things. Personally I feel it's disgraceful that Marga's ever being allowed to fight again.

see5harp

Yea, I think there's a good chance it could go Cotto's way. He is the bigger and stronger guy, but Manny is still the man to beat IMO. He'll go in there the same way he beat Oscar..hopefully Freddie is just bullshitting and the game plan is the same as that fight. Stick and move, don't get over aggressive and try to end the fight early. Reach and height isn't really that different when you look at the tape. At 145 though, Cotto looks much more comfortable than most of the fighters Manny has fought recently. Hell, I bought into the hype and was really scared for Manny prior to the Oscar fight. I guess at this point I'll roll with Manny, regardless of who the opponent is. I don't think Cotto has the defense or the counter punching that Marquez has so we'll see.

Tom_Cody

Quazar said:
October 31
At Las Vegas (Showtime): Joseph "King Kong" Agbeko vs. Yonnhy Perez, 12 rounds, for Agbeko's IBF bantamweight title; Antonio DeMarco vs. Jose Alfaro, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC interim lightweight title; Ray Austin vs. DaVarryl Williamson, 12 rounds, heavyweights; James De La Rosa vs. Lenin Arroyo, 10 rounds, welterweights; Bermane Stivern vs. Jerry Butler, 8 rounds, heavyweights; Nelson Linares vs. Archak Termeliksetian, 10 rounds, junior middleweights; Angelo Santana vs. James Hope, 6 rounds, lightweights; Marvin Quintero vs. Walter Estrada, 6 rounds, junior lightweights

Demarco fighting now. But this is Agbeko's first fight since the win against Darchinyan
What a fantastic fight. I would have loved to have seen compubox numbers. Lopez-Mtagwa is still the fight of the year, but I have this fight at number 2.

Showtime has had an amazing year. I wish HBO would follow their strategy of focusing on making great fight instead of propping up big name fighters.

cthoaa

I only saw the main event on Showtime, but it was really good. I also thought the knockdown would be the difference for Perez, but the scores showed the extra point didn't matter?

Agbeko defends subtly at times, turning his body to receive punches on his shoulders or just rolling with the punches to take steam off them. His opponent's work is rendered ineffective, but still seems to score with the judges. (Two cards had him winning by just one vs. Vic.)

It's only sparring and there wasn't so much footage, but Pacquiao was getting bossed and pushed around by Shawn Porter on 24/7. They showed JLC's getting in some beautiful short-arm work on the inside, and Roach's concerns indicated that that early bouts of sparring weren't going well. (To Manny: "If you go easy in sparring, you'll go easy in the fight." To the camera: "His focus is just not there right now. I can't wait to get out of here and get to LA.")

OK show, but the ending montage set against that tango music didn't really work for me.

see5harp

I really don't think you could make much out of the chopped up footage they show. I love the show and think it's probably the best reality show on television (easily). Great music, great camera work, great quotes, and all around I don't think anything UFC produces comes close. But all it is is hype to get people excited.

Haye - Valuev tonight and at a respectable time for us Brits for once! It's just a shame that nowhere over here is showing Johnson - Dawson 2.

Cirruss

J Tourettes said:
Haye - Valuev tonight and at a respectable time for us Brits for once! It's just a shame that nowhere over here is showing Johnson - Dawson 2.

Anywhere streaming it online?

14lpjro.jpg

Can anybody see him knocking out this fat hairy slob?

If it goes to points Haye loses.

I'd be surprised if it went to points. Haye has 8 rounds in him max to pull it off, if not I expect a Valuev stoppage victory shortly after. I've stuck my money on Valuev rds 7 - 12 at 7/1, Haye rounds 1 - 6 at 6/1 and Haye rounds 7-9 at 14/1. I want Haye to win but if it goes past 9 I hope he gets knocked out from a betting perspective.:lol

Wes

venison crêpe
Going to be amazing to see Haye's approach to this. He's going to have to be moving around like lightning and get as many hits on that elephant of a chin as possible.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
14lpjro.jpg

Can anybody see him knocking out this fat hairy slob?

If it goes to points Haye loses.

I'm not sure why you think that's the case. Points is the only way that I can see Haye winning this. Valuev has never been knocked out before, but he's lost on points once before.

I can't see a late knockout either. It'll go to points imo.

Bought this on Box Office. Sweet.

liquid_gears said:
I'm not sure why you think that's the case. Points is the only way that I can see Haye winning this. Valuev has never been knocked out before, but he's lost on points once before.

I can't see a late knockout either. It'll go to points imo.

Bought this on Box Office. Sweet.

Haye may 'win' on points but it's extremely doubtful he'll get the decision in Germany, just ask Ruiz x 2 and Holyfield.

Wes said:
Going to be amazing to see Haye's approach to this. He's going to have to be moving around like lightning and get as many hits on that elephant of a chin as possible.

Nah, he needs to work that body first before going for the chin.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yea, shocked that he got the decision. Shame he didn't go for it in the 11th like he did in the 12th.

Fuck me, what a shit fight, makes me appreciate Froch - Dirrell! I had it 7-5 to Haye but a lot of the rounds could've gone either way. Extremely surprised that he got the decision in Germany.

Moobabe

J Tourettes said:
That's boxer slang for 'I was shit so I need an excuse'

When I heard that I had to laugh, it stopped him from throwing the famous 'hayemaker' apparently... I think he probably landed more clean hits but Valuev was the aggressor until the 11th.

Wow, although I thought Haye clearly scored with the better shots and made Valuev look silly all night, I'm shocked he got the decision.

I was really surprised how disciplined Haye was actually - I expected him to go all out for the KO and then gas after round 8, but he finished very strongly, and wobbled the big guy in round 12.

Seemingly he hurt his hand in round 3, which might explain why he really only opened up in the last round - I think he could have got the KO if he'd went like that from round 10 on.

It was a dull fight, but Valuev is a bit like Hopkins that way - he always stinks up the joint.

Moobabe

gollumsluvslave said:
Wow, although I thought Haye clearly scored with the better shots and made Valuev look silly all night, I'm shocked he got the decision.

I was really surprised how disciplined Haye was actually - I expected him to go all out for the KO and then gas after round 8, but he finished very strongly, and wobbled the big guy in round 12.

I was too. Especially after all his big talk about how he was going to be the first to knock the big man out. I had Haye ahead just until the 12th and thought Valuev would open up in the 12th and take it.

Moobabe said:
When I heard that I had to laugh, it stopped him from throwing the famous 'hayemaker' apparently... I think he probably landed more clean hits but Valuev was the aggressor until the 11th.

Wasn't effective aggression though, he barely landed a punch on Haye the whole fight. Very similare to Froch dirrell in that respect.

gollumsluvslave said:

Seemingly he hurt his hand in round 3, which might explain why he really only opened up in the last round - I think he could have got the KO if he'd went like that from round 10 on.

It was a dull fight, but Valuev is a bit like Hopkins that way - he always stinks up the joint.

He may stink up the joint but he can only dream of being as skillful as BHop.

I'm still shocked Haye got the nod in germany, all my betting mates were asking what the good bets were and told all of them to not bother with Haye on points as he'll never get the nod in Germany :lol

Moobabe

J Tourettes said:
Wasn't effective aggression though, he barely landed a punch on Haye the whole fight. Very similare to Froch dirrell in that respect.

I'm not disputing that at all. Haye deserved it just, but it was awful to watch.

I forgot just how shit Valuev was, my wallet got raped tonight.

Haye deserved the win, by a large margin imo. Fuck the 114-114 bullshit. It's funny how they were worried in the commentary box but his trainers thought (correctly) that he had more points. I know it's difficult to get a win on points in Germany, but this was an obvious decision. Who gives a fuck if only one or two punches land, the points are awarded to whoever threw them. Thank fuck that common sense prevailed instead of percieved 'aggression'.

I should have put some cash on this one too.

EDIT: The only knockout here was Haye's wife.

David_and_Tasha.jpg

gollumsluvslave said:
Agreed, but Bhop does have a habit of stinkin up a fight if it's in his interests...

No doubt.

Johnson - Dawson II is about to start. Think dawson will have learnt from his first fight and will win this one, unless Johnson manages to tag him and capitalise.

Quazar said:
Oh yea, that Angulo KO was WOW. I thought dude started having a seizure.

Yeah, that was brutal the ref should've stopped the fight earlier though or the corner should've chucked in the towel. There was absolutely no need for that massive KO.

Top Bottom