• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

see5harp

Just finished up 24/7 week 3. Manny and Cotto both look ridiculously in shape. Cotto actually looks better now at 145 then he ever has at 147. Pacquiao is also looking crazy fast and, as always, looks to be in the best shape of his life. This could be a fight of the year contender and once again 24/7 has done it's job on me. It's alarming how many times I've doubted Manny in the past and he's come through. You could really make a case for either fighter...but I cannot bet against Manny. He will find a way to win or will make it a war. Even in desperation I can't imagine Manny getting outworked.

J Tourettes said:
Yeah, that was brutal the ref should've stopped the fight earlier though or the corner should've chucked in the towel. There was absolutely no need for that massive KO.

Yorgy had gotten off the canvas to come back in win in his last fight, so I expect they were hoping for the same thing. He's barely an opponent on ESPN type, so the announcing team ejaculating all over themselves that "El Perro is back!!!!" should calm down a bit. He also hit Yorgy twice while he was down, including one shot to the back of the head.

Dawson dominated and looked borrrrrrring. He looked like he could have fought 15 or 20 rounds and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

Haye/Valueless was god awful to watch. You can make a case for Valueless winning, but no one wanted that, so this time the shittyness of boxing turns in the fans favor.

I want Haye to fight often. He needs to get the fight with Ruiz out of the way ASAP and if it's November 2010 before that happens, it's just not going to be enough.

xPowerPadDeathStompx said:
Yorgy had gotten off the canvas to come back in win in his last fight, so I expect they were hoping for the same thing. He's barely an opponent on ESPN type, so the announcing team ejaculating all over themselves that "El Perro is back!!!!" should calm down a bit. He also hit Yorgy twice while he was down, including one shot to the back of the head.

Dawson dominated and looked borrrrrrring. He looked like he could have fought 15 or 20 rounds and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

Haye/Valueless was god awful to watch. You can make a case for Valueless winning, but no one wanted that, so this time the shittyness of boxing turns in the fans favor.

I want Haye to fight often. He needs to get the fight with Ruiz out of the way ASAP and if it's November 2010 before that happens, it's just not going to be enough.

Well, haye and the Klits are talking about fighting each other next year, once they both have their mandos out of the way so hopefully Haye will fight at least twice next year.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The missus and I will be in the house live for the cotto/pacman fight! We won't have as nice tickets as I wanted because the missus didn't want to cough up more dough towards that fight but it'll still be cool to be there live... with this fight we'll have finally completed the circuit of seeing big live boxing events in the usual US locations... CT, MSG in NYC, Boardwalk in NJ and now Vegas.... sweet.

ragingadamo

Neo Member
DarienA said:
The missus and I will be in the house live for the cotto/pacman fight! We won't have as nice tickets as I wanted because the missus didn't want to cough up more dough towards that fight but it'll still be cool to be there live... with this fight we'll have finally completed the circuit of seeing big live boxing events in the usual US locations... CT, MSG in NYC, Boardwalk in NJ and now Vegas.... sweet.

Awesome!

It is looking to be an amazing fight. I still haven't nailed down who I think will win. Yet again 24/7 has made me immensely excited for the fight.

DarienA

Wow Paul Williams signs a contract to fight someone else since Kelly Pavlik pulled out of two dates... was on deaths' door, etc... and miracle of miracles Kelly Pavlik signs to fight Sergio Martinez in December...

Pavlik you ain't shit buddy.

see5harp

ragingadamo said:
Awesome!

It is looking to be an amazing fight. I still haven't nailed down who I think will win. Yet again 24/7 has made me immensely excited for the fight.

Every fight promoted by the great 24/7 has been a blowout. I'm pretty sure that the fight will be competitive, but think about it. It's like a curse.

DarienA said:
Wow Paul Williams signs a contract to fight someone else since Kelly Pavlik pulled out of two dates... was on deaths' door, etc... and miracle of miracles Kelly Pavlik signs to fight Sergio Martinez in December...

Pavlik you ain't shit buddy.

He's a complete alkie, by all accounts. Looks like Haye's hand injury was genuine though. Punching Valuev's head must be like punching a boulder.

DarienA

J Tourettes said:
He's a complete alkie, by all accounts. Looks like Haye's hand injury was genuine though. Punching Valuev's head must be like punching a boulder.

I think he's quoted as saying it was like punch bricks....

gollumsluvslave said:
Jeeso! Can't believe Pavlik!

Bang out of order!

It is out of order but I think B-Hop ruined him and his confidence is shot to shit. He honestly thought he was going to knock him out and ended up getting schooled.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Cotto vs. Pacquiao

Fuck yeah. I am throwing a huge ass party :lol I would love for Cotto to win, but I can see Pacquiao winning. I actually placed bets on Cotto since they could net some good $$$$, but it's risky. Can't see him having that much of a chance.

Thing is... I purchased a shitload of alcohol... got my screen ready, PPV paid, etc, etc etc...Should be an awesome night :D :D

Quazar

Relix said:
Cotto vs. Pacquiao

Fuck yeah. I am throwing a huge ass party :lol I would love for Cotto to win, but I can see Pacquiao winning. I actually placed bets on Cotto since they could net some good $$$$, but it's risky. Can't see him having that much of a chance.

Thing is... I purchased a shitload of alcohol... got my screen ready, PPV paid, etc, etc etc...Should be an awesome night :D :D

Will be fun. Actually staying away from betting on this. Was tempting though.

ragingadamo

Neo Member
see5harp said:
Every fight promoted by the great 24/7 has been a blowout. I'm pretty sure that the fight will be competitive, but think about it. It's like a curse.

You are probably right but I still think it will be an exciting fight. Personally I don't care who wins since I like both of the fighters.

On a side note, why doesn't boxing ever get official threads for big fights? MMA gets one almost every week :D

ragingadamo said:
You are probably right but I still think it will be an exciting fight. Personally I don't care who wins since I like both of the fighters.

On a side note, why doesn't boxing ever get official threads for big fights? MMA gets one almost every week :D

MMA has arguably more 'big' fights ie even fights. We all know that one of boxings major ills is the reluctance of promoters to put their man in an even fight, which is why the super six is such a breath of fresh air.

I'm so tire that I don't think I'm going to be able to stay awake until 5 in the morning UK time to watch the fight tonight. I'm sticking my money on Cotto rounds 7-9. It was originally 11/1 but now it's drifted out to 14/1, woohoo!

puebla

i'm so pumped for pac-cotto. :D i got all my beers, bout to make some food and invite some friends over. i think pac wins by ko late in the fight.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
J Tourettes said:
MMA has arguably more 'big' fights ie even fights. We all know that one of boxings major ills is the reluctance of promoters to put their man in an even fight, which is why the super six is such a breath of fresh air.

I'm so tire that I don't think I'm going to be able to stay awake until 5 in the morning UK time to watch the fight tonight. I'm sticking my money on Cotto rounds 7-9. It was originally 11/1 but now it's drifted out to 14/1, woohoo!
So why not sleep in early so you can wake up early instead of staying up? ;)

Krowley

I keep picking people to beat pac and he keeps on winning. I always think he's too small, and then he ends up hurting and stopping bigger guys.

My initial impulse in this fight is to pick Cotto, but I think i'm finally convinced that pac can handle anybody, and I'm not sure Cotto still has all his mojo.. So my prediction would be: Pac by TKO within 10

see5harp said:

24/7 has a way of making every fight seem so epic. It had me believing Hatton could beat PBF for a minute. Really well done show.

puebla

Krowley said:
I keep picking people to beat pac and he keeps on winning. I always think he's too small, and then he ends up hurting and stopping bigger guys.

My initial impulse in this fight is to pick Cotto, but I think i'm finally convinced that pac can handle anybody, and I'm not sure Cotto still has all his mojo.. So my prediction would be: Pac by TKO within 10
i would've picked cotto to win if it wasn't for margarito's tko (most likely with plaster). i just don't know if his jaw is going to hold up. it should be a great fight though, it won't go to a decision.

XiaNaphryz said:
So why not sleep in early so you can wake up early instead of staying up? ;)

Modern Warfare 2. This is the best chance I've got to play for a while as my other half is out tonight. I'll catch the replay early in the morning tomorrow, avoiding all news and the internet.

UNDERSTAR

Banned
I'm putting $300 on Pacman tonight. He sure as hell more than ready to give Cotto the beating!
I'm half Puerto Rican but fuck Cotto for this fight, lol!!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I want Cotto to win so bad, but Pac Man has looked invincible lately. Then again, if Cotto can be the pre-Margarito fighter with the swagger and the killer hook, he'll have a chance. He'll need to be super focused, though, since a little slip up and Pac's crazy speed/power combo will floor him.

I think Cotto has to stun Pac early. Shake him up and make him hesitant. If he's as loose as he was against Hatton, it'll be an uphill battle.

thirty

Banned
VanMardigan said:
I want Cotto to win so bad, but Pac Man has looked invincible lately. Then again, if Cotto can be the pre-Margarito fighter with the swagger and the killer hook, he'll have a chance. He'll need to be super focused, though, since a little slip up and Pac's crazy speed/power combo will floor him.

I think Cotto has to stun Pac early. Shake him up and make him hesitant. If he's as loose as he was against Hatton, it'll be an uphill battle.
shake up pac and make him hesitant? have you seen his fights? when pac gets hit he pounds his fists together and comes out with more ferocity. cotto is gonna have to knock pac out to win, but pac will not be shaken or be hesitant.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BamYouHaveAids said:
Clottey's speed was giving Cotto problems. I think Pacquiao will eek by a decision.

Cotto got rocked hard by Cottley, especially with that cut bothering him. If Cotto doesn't get cut (which seems unlikely) he can win. I am sure he's still affected by the Margarito loss, he deny it or not. Pacquiao is coming out HUGE.

btrick

i just finished the 24/7 series. MAN THAT SHIT GETS ME PUMPED.

they should do these series for all sport championships.. like NBA Finals and the Superbowl. such a great marketing tool, and its so well done too.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
PPV ready. Already people @ my house. Got some BBQ Ribs, lots of coke, some alcohol, hamburgers... the works. Should be an epic night!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Moobabe said:
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit. :D

I can't call this one. I might if I could watch it though, justin tv is failing me.

Never trust Justin. They will take down the streaming videos mid-match.

Moobabe

Relix said:
Never trust Justin. They will take down the streaming videos mid-match.

They're being taken down already. I'm having to watch a really bad stream, might be worth it though. I should be watching some kid called Gomes right?

Top Bottom