• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

thirty

Banned
harSon said:
Pac is quick but Mayweather's speed is on another level, plus he doesn't deviate from game plans.
the difference is that pac's speed comes with power. mayweather isn't known to knock people out.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
thirty said:
the difference is that pac's speed comes with power. mayweather isn't known to knock people out.

He spars 15 minute rounds. He's not going to trade. He'll just throw flawless defense at you and UD the win. He has stamina for days.

harSon

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:
On the Floyd Pac front one thing is for sure - Pacman can hurt Mayweather so although he's smaller he can definitely hurt him, unlike JMM

Definitely. But Mayweather is the best in the business at not deviating from his game plan, he'll be Pac's worse match up, a defensive counter puncher... with speed unlike anyone he has faced. The fight is pretty much guaranteed at this point, if there's one thing Floyd likes more than winning, it's the Benjamins, and I don't think there's any lesser matches left to milk at this point.

Esperado

thirty said:
I feel like the reason Mayweather doesn't have the power is because of his defensive style. He never tries to punch through his opponents because of the risk of being open to counters.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
I flew from Tokyo to Vegas to see Cotto run away half the time? :lol :lol :lol

Gonna head to the afterparty! :D

Have fun!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
well that went exactly as i thought it would...cotto's got a huge heart man..but manny's just on a different level

polyh3dron said:
What a shitty stoppage.

If he was going to stop it there, he could've at least stopped it in the eleventh and won me some money!

Credit to Pac though, he made it look easy. It's a shame PBF is going to tax that arse though.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Major props to Cotto. He gained about 700 man points, tonight. He held on strong and never back off. Sure he tried to get away from Pacquiao in the later rounds but everybody would have.

Pacman is the P4P champion. No questions asked. He eats Mayweather for breakfast, anyday, anytime.

Darkman M

TheCardPlayer said:
Major props to Cotto. He gained about 700 man points, tonight. He held on strong and never back off. Sure he tried to get away from Pacquiao in the later rounds but everybody would have.

Pacman is the P4P champion. No questions asked. He eats Mayweather for breakfast, anyday, anytime.

You gotta be kidding me...

harSon

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
Pacman can beat MayWeather. The guy is going to lose at some point, and this is going to be the fight.

I doubt it. Pac is going to be the trendy pick, mostly because his style is significantly more "entertaining" than Mayweathers, but I still consider it to be a bad matchup for Manny. Not only does Manny have issue with defensive counter punchers, but people are seriously under appreciating Mayweather's speed advantage. Yes, Manny is quick but Mayweather has enough speed to fight with his hands rested at his sides, dude's speed is ridiculous.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Darkman M said:
You gotta be kidding me...

Pffft, Mayweather wouldn't make the distance. He's spent the last half decade, running away from the challenges and taking on piss easy fights. Pacman would hurt him bad.

Tom_Cody

Just got back to my room from the fight. Pacquiao is superhuman. Props to Cotto for staying in the fight as long as he did. Anticlimactic stoppage.

Edit: I still pick Mayweather over Pacquiao.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
as much as i would like to say that manny would beat mayweather..it just wont happen..mayweather is just as fast..stronger..bigger..and considerably more technically sound...although id like to see manny knock his ass out its just not a good bet

Darkman M

TheCardPlayer said:
Pffft, Mayweather wouldn't make the distance. He's spent the last half decade, running away from the challenges and taking on piss easy fights. Pacman would hurt him bad.

Your telling me cotto is a better defensive fighter then Mayweather? hell cotto took him 12. Jmm took him the distance as we'll.

NomarTyme

Agent Icebeezy said:
Pacman don't want none of Mayweather. He is saying it right now.
Errr... Roach is doing all the shit talking for Pacman.

Darkman M said:
Your telling me cotto is a better defensive fighter then Mayweather? hell cotto took him 12. Jmm took him the distance as we'll.

That because he was running half the time.

Darkman M

NomarTyme said:
Errr... Roach is doing all the shit talking for Pacman.

That because he was running half the time.

It's called impeccable defense you can't run against professional boxers if that was the case all scrubs would just run their way to victory.

Let's not ruin Mannys night though, he dominated Cotto and is a worthy champion.

harSon

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:

Do people compare Manny and Floyd's opponents before saying shit like this? Cotto fight aside, they've fought similar opponents. It's not like Manny has taken risks and fought people like Mosley, Andre Berto, or Paul Williams either :lol

JB1981

Gr1mLock said:
as much as i would like to say that manny would beat mayweather..it just wont happen..mayweather is just as fast..stronger..bigger..and considerably more technically sound...although id like to see manny knock his ass out its just not a good bet

agree on all counts

Darkman M

BakedPigeon said:
You guys are giving Floyd to much credit, he is beatable, he is not a god. Pacman has a chance at least, is in the realm of possible.[/QUOTE

Of course he's beatable i just don't see the guy to do it yet.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Darkman M said:

I don't even think Pernell Whitaker is a better defensive fighter than Floyd. Watch the fight with Marquez and watch damn near everything thrown gets either blocked or downright avoided. People acting like he's never fought anybody with speed before that can hit like Zab Judah?

see5harp

Why are we talking PBF? Give Pacquiao some respect. At least half of the experts didn't think Manny could even survive 12 rounds. The fight was fucking over after 8 rounds. Cotto was looking very good for 3 rounds, but the rope a dope to left uppercut was insane. No one has dropped Cotto with one punch like that. No one.

TheFatOne

Man watching Cotto fight was depressing. After the Margarito fight I don't think he will ever be the same. Cotto made too many mistakes early and Pacquiao took advantage of them. Great win by Pacquiao.

Darkman M

see5harp said:
Why are we talking PBF? Give Pacquiao some respect. At least half of the experts didn't think Manny could even survive 12 rounds. The fight was fucking over after 8 rounds. Cotto was looking very good for 3 rounds, but the rope a dope to left uppercut was insane. No one has dropped Cotto with one punch like that. No one.

Because everyone want's to see that fight! I agree though it's manny's night he beasted on Cotto.

thirty

Banned
this thread is gonna be epic leading to the mayweather/pac fight in 2010.

i for one feel pac will walk through all of mayweather's counter punches and punish mayweather with furies. in those early rounds of this fight, pac covered up with both hands, took cotto's best, and then released the onslaught of punches to damage cotto. that was near superhuman.

I'm a fan of both fighters but have followed Cotto longer and rooted for him to win, even though I thought his deficiencies could be exploited by Manny's speed. The fight was painful to watch from that perspective.

After the 4th round, it was basically over as a remotely competitive fight. When Manny hurt Cotto and got him down then, Cotto abandoned any notion of committing to his punches and it's obvious now that Cotto's power is a complete non-factor when he can't plant and sit down on his punches.

I think I agree w/ the HBO crew that Cotto's time as a great fighter is basically over. If he's to have any chance of getting back to legit contender status, he's going to need a better corner. Neither his uncle before nor Santiago have plugged the hole he has in his defense up the middle.

As for Manny, what can you say? He's on another level. He did his thing and battered Cotto. All that needs to happen now is him vs Floyd. It'll be one hell of a thing to see if Manny's incredible offensive quickness can catch up to Floyd's reflexes and defensive speed. IMO Manny can catch up to him and Floyd doesn't have enough of an offensive game, w/ his pot-shot style, to bother Manny enough to hold him back.

Quazar

TheCardPlayer said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom