• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I had it 107-100 when it was stopped. No reason to stop it there, other than to give Manny the TKO. What a performance by Pac!

see5harp

harSon said:
Depending on how they scored the second round, I'd say the match is over. Cotto is going to have to ditch his boxing mechanics and get really aggressive to try and get the knockout/TKO considering there's little chance he wins in points, which is going to result in the opposite.

Assuming Pac wins, I really hope a match between him and Mayweather materializes.

I agree that Cotto may have won rounds 1 and 2...but from then on it was Pacquiao basically doing whatever he wanted. Cotto's face looked like a fucking pizza pie. I don't think it was Cotto messing up rather Pacquiao getting his rhythm and then throwing the much harder shots. Cotto is useless against tough opponents if he's not going to throw his jab out there.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm sorry. When I envision Manny in the ring with Floyd, I see Floyd shoulder rolling himself to victory. Manny punches too wide. Output of punches doesn't faze Floyd. Until further notice, Floyd is Neo to me. People don't like Floyd because he runs his mouth and wants to see him put on his ass. Don't confuse hate with your decision making. Pacquiao isn't seeing Mayweather. All that aggression is perfect for Floyd to do well against.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Cotto's corner is so shitty. What kind of advice is "Throw him what you know of" wtf wtf.

He should have started with jabs then tag him with body shots whenever he tried to get close. Those 2 KD were him being completely careless and trying to get into a hit me/I hit you fight.

After the 2nd KD Cotto got scared (Margarito flashbacks?) and threw away the fight, just ran to not get knocked the fuck out.

harSon said:
Do people compare Manny and Floyd's opponents before saying shit like this? Cotto fight aside, they've fought similar opponents. It's not like Manny has taken risks and fought people like Mosley, Andre Berto, or Paul Williams either :lol

I don't really give PBF much credit for anything he's done over 135 to be honest so I can see why people give Manny more credit.

If (a very big if) Pac beats PBF, I'd have to give serious consideration to naming him asone of, if not the ATG.

thirty

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm sorry. When I envision Manny in the ring with Floyd, I see Floyd shoulder rolling himself to victory. Manny punches too wide. Output of punches doesn't faze Floyd. Until further notice, Floyd is Neo to me. People don't like Floyd because he runs his mouth and wants to see him put on his ass. Don't confuse hate with your decision making. Pacquiao isn't seeing Mayweather. All that aggression is perfect for Floyd to do well against.
manny will walk right through and absorb anything floyd throws at him. sure floyd is neo, i'll give him that but when manny goes into typhoon mode, his punches will go through floyd's defense.

J Tourettes said:
I don't really give PBF much credit for anything he's done over 135 to be honest so I can see why people give Manny more credit.

If (a very big if) Pac beats PBF, I'd have to give serious consideration to naming him asone of, if not the ATG.
And if Floyd beats Pac, what? He just beat another undersized opponent? :lol

smurfx

get some go again
Baby Milo said:
Pac is great nothing else to be said there

i have to wonder whats next for Cotto though
rematch with margarito? not much to say about pacman's performance. he dominated and now we have to see if we will get to see pacman fight mayweather.

Agent Icebeezy

thirty said:
manny will walk right through and absorb anything floyd throws at him. sure floyd is neo, i'll give him that but when manny goes into typhoon mode, his punches will go through floyd's defense.

Nope, all that will be for naught. The pace will be slowed, give three or four rounds for Floyd to figure him out, then we will be setting sail for a UD. Happens every time. See nothing here that will change that line of thinking. I see this being the same exact fight as the Zab Judah fight, except that Manny won't have the mental breakdown in the late rounds like Zab had.

Darkman M

smurfx said:
rematch with margarito? not much to say about pacman's performance. he dominated and now we have to see if we will get to see pacman fight mayweather.

If the moneys right we will definitely see it i think, the trouble will probably come from both guys agreeing on a split.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I see this being the same exact fight as the Zab Judah fight, except that Manny won't have the mental breakdown in the late rounds like Zab had.

Really? Zab Judah? Manny is faster, has legit power in both his hands and throws combos/flurries Zab couldn't pull off in his dreams. Bad comparison.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn what an ass kicking :lol :lol Worse than I expected. Still had fun with the guys. Jumped on a pickup with a huge ass PACQUIAO poster around the neighborhood. Yes, alcohol makes you do stupid things. We were pulled over by a cop :lol

Damn Pacquiao is a true beast. Jesus!

Agent Icebeezy

Bauer Action Hour said:
Really? Zab Judah? Manny is faster, has legit power in both his hands and throws combos/flurries Zab couldn't pull off in his dreams. Bad comparison.

Time for me to go to bed. :lol

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Great performance once again by Pac-man. First few rounds by Cotto were pretty good until those knockdowns. Hopefully Mayweather will grow a pair and fight Manny and if he does I might head to Vegas for the fight.

thirty

Banned
so pac has those typhoon like flurries and mayweather has the matrix thing going for him. neither fighter can train for the other because both are so great at what they do best. should make for a great fight.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
thirty said:
so pac has those typhoon like flurries and mayweather has the matrix thing going for him. neither fighter can train for the other because both are so great at what they do best. should make for a great fight.

Rooting for pac. The guy is so nice while Mayweather is a huge asshole. Would love to see him get his ass whipped.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Agent Icebeezy said:

I don't hate Mayweather because he's a twat. Because I like plenty of asswipe boxers. No, I dislike him, because he's the single most skilled boxer I have seen in my lifetime, and he's probably the most pure talent in the sport since Sugar Ray Robinson...but he pissed it all away like a fucktard, to protect his 0. He hasn't taken a risk in years, except for the Hatton and DLH fights, and all he does is run his mouth about how he's still the P4P champ...when he's not...Not anymore.

Mayweather wasted his talents, by fighting shot fighters and weak opponents since 2002. Then came, the retirement which everyone knew would not last. Manny's on a roll and he's a perfect fighter, right now. Mayweather could have beaten him, a long time ago. But now, he's getting a whooping.

I've watched the fight live, and twice after, and now again. SImply because in my life time (I'm 24) I haven't seen anything like this before.

But Sky Sports are a BITCH for not showing any interviews or anything else after the fight, so I am going to have to download it later today

harSon

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
I don't hate Mayweather because he's a twat. Because I like plenty of asswipe boxers. No, I dislike him, because he's the single most skilled boxer I have seen in my lifetime, and he's probably the most pure talent in the sport since Sugar Ray Robinson...but he pissed it all away like a fucktard, to protect his 0. He hasn't taken a risk in years, except for the Hatton and DLH fights, and all he does is run his mouth about how he's still the P4P champ...when he's not...Not anymore.

Mayweather wasted his talents, by fighting shot fighters and weak opponents since 2002. Then came, the retirement which everyone knew would not last. Manny's on a roll and he's a perfect fighter, right now. Mayweather could have beaten him, a long time ago. But now, he's getting a whooping.

Seriously, outside of the Cotto fight, how are Manny's opponents any different than Floyd's?

Bauer Action Hour said:
:lol @ you if you seriously think that Manny Pacquiao = Zab Judah. They can both be generalized as quick southpaws but the comparisons stop there.

Talent wise they're on different levels but Zab definitely has speed comparable to Manny, actually, I'm inclined to say he was faster in his prime.

BamYouHaveAids said:
And if Floyd beats Pac, what? He just beat another undersized opponent? :lol

No, if PBF beats Pac I'll give him credit. However, there is no way to dress up PBf's recent record and make it look pretty. Since he left 135, he's fought handpicked opponents and/or chased the money. I have no problem with fighters chasing money instead of legacy, as long as they don't avoid the tough fights and then claim to be the greatest.

O.DOGG

What a great fight. I didn't expect Cotto to last as long, so props to him for doing as well as he did. He has a lot of heart.
Hopefully we'll see a Pacquiao - Mayweather next.

oneHeero

harSon said:
Seriously, outside of the Cotto fight, how are Manny's opponents any different than Floyd's?

Talent wise they're on different levels but Zab definitely has speed comparable to Manny, actually, I'm inclined to say he was faster in his prime.
Please tell me you're not serious. Pac has had more great fights against better fighters than Mayweather.

I agree w/ this 100% though.

I was rooting for Pac but damn I thought Cotto could in after watching 24/7 on HBO. Cotto seemed so much more focused than Pacquio.

I want mayweather to fight and get his ass beat by mosley first than after he losses he'll want to fight pacquio.

theBishop

Banned
theBishop said:
Manny has to fight bigger guys because no one can compete with his skills. I don't think Cotto has the skills either. He's a sub-Hatton fighter.

Well, I was wrong about Cotto being a sub-Hatton fighter, but Manny still beat the piss out of him.

Dude's got one hell of a chin too. He was rock solid for 12 rounds, he took a few left hooks from a bigger, stronger opponent and swallowed them up like a champ. Floyd might be fast, but he's not got the power to trouble Manny.

Pacman>PBF.

That will be a true epic.

theBishop

Banned
I'd have to watch some of Floyd's older fights, but does he even have the punching power of Cotto? My impression of Floyd is unbelievable defense, and accurate counter-punching. But not especially powerful.

Cotto landed some legitimate bombs in the early rounds, and it's not clear that Pacman was ever shook. If Paquiao's unconventional offense can get through Floyd's technically proficient defense, I can't see Floyd hurting him.

oneHeero

harSon said:
Ok, I'll name 3 boxers that Manny fought several times each.
Barrera, Marquez, Morales
He moves up several times, as oppose to fighting someone smaller(like it was even possible :p ).

Please name 3 epic fighters Mayweather has fought.
I'd have to watch some of Floyd's older fights, but does he even have the punching power of Cotto? My impression of Floyd is unbelievable defense, and accurate counter-punching. But not especially powerful.

Mayweather doesnt have knockout power. What you think of him is true, that's why he's amazing. Cotto has more power than MAyweather imo, but mayweather would have whooped cotto as well. So mayweather def is not knocking out pacquio, it'll easily go 12 rounds with neither fighter looking bad, pacquio wins in the cards. Or mayweather gets lucky and squeaks by. Pacquio has a better chance of knocking down mayweather vs the other way around.

smurfx

get some go again
oneHeero said:
Ok, I'll name 3 boxers that Manny fought several times each.
Barrera, Marquez, Morales
He moves up several times, as oppose to fighting someone smaller(like it was even possible :p ).

Please name 3 epic fighters Mayweather has fought.

Mayweather doesnt have knockout power. What you think of him is true, that's why he's amazing. Cotto has more power than MAyweather imo, but mayweather would have whooped cotto as well. So mayweather def is not knocking out pacquio, it'll easily go 12 rounds with neither fighter looking bad, pacquio wins in the cards. Or mayweather gets lucky and squeaks by. Pacquio has a better chance of knocking down mayweather vs the other way around.
only one of those fighters was still in his prime when manny fought him. i'm a huge fan of marquez but he is not better than mayweather.

oneHeero

smurfx said:
only one of those fighters was still in his prime when manny fought him. i'm a huge fan of marquez but he is not better than mayweather.
Not now marquez isnt. But when they were fighting in the same weight class years ago, he was a force. Of course pacquio can probably walk over him now. He'd knock him out unlike mayweather. Its all subjective so I wont act like what I say is right though, just in boxing stats/records hold a little more weight in terms of identifying who's better than in another sport like football.

He also fought all 3 guys for titles :\ I dont see how that would be outside their prime while he moved up from 106 lbs.

Been rewatching PBf's fights against southpaws today, and having them fresh in my mind, I'm giving Manny more of a chance than I initially did.

Corley hurt Floyd worse than I remembered and when he was hurt, the shoulderoll defence was nowhere to be seen, just covered up conventionally, which is something I'm sure Pac would capitalise on if he hurt Mayweather. Clip here if no-one has sen it recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtyDlsOO98A&feature=related

Mitchell also managed to catch Floyd with a combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAhhfdeLON8#t=4m0s and not forgetting that Judah had a blatant KD against Floyd that wasn't called: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeURoJXiOdY

One thing for sure is that I can't wait for this fight to take place. I think it definitely will happen, we'll just have to put up with the it's on/it's off bullshit to build the hype but I honestly can't see it not happening.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
smurfx said:
Marquez wasn't in his prime back then? Really?

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...uels-and-Cello-Renda.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Boxing

694c5t.gif

see5harp

Just rewatched the fight. That should have been stopped in the 9th for sure. Manny's stamina is ridiculous. He's nearly at the same quickness level in round 10 and 11. I don't see him knocking out Floyd. But I don't think it's a landslide points victory for PBF either. If Manny can continue to throw punches up until the 12th round, Manny could eek by on punch output. If Floyd won't agree to the split, I think Manny should take an easy fight and destroy Berto (assuming Sugar Shane doesn't do it himself).

thirty

Banned
yahoo sports says the head honcho of hbo sports is gonna have mayweather's people call bob arum on monday to formally begin negotiations. they gotta split 80 million dollars somehow. tough job.

btw, anyone else appreciate manny, in those mid rounds, calling cotto in, covering up, and allow cotto to punch himself out? then come back with damaging flurries of his own that cotto could not take. i think that was when cotto's spirit was broken and he decided to back peddle the rest of the fight. mayweather will be too smart to be baited in that way, but we shall see.

Zep

Banned
Talking on sports radio this morning...

Pacquiao/Mayweather - Yankee Stadium

I'd be ALL for it...That would be fucking insane. Screw Vegas.

Top Bottom