• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

XiaNaphryz said:
tumblr_kt58hqpWEg1qzf2s2o1_500.jpg

Bwahahaha

harSon said:
These people are part of the problem.

You're part of the problem. As a boxing fan, you should want to see the best fights that can be made. Excusing any boxer from a fight because there's not enough money in it crosses the line from being a fan of boxing to being a fanboy.

My problem with PBF (and his fans) is that there is never any point in fighting anybody in their eyes because either A. Mayweather would beat them easily and show them up or B. There's not enough money in it so why should he fight them. We never get to know for certain because the fights never happen. If that's how you want to play it, fine, just don't claim to be the greatest of all time. Sit there cashing your paychecks against handpicked opponents, knowing that in future years boxing historians won't look too favourably upon your body of work.

All over!

Wow, TKO Ward in 11.

Total schooling, even taking the headbutts out of the equation.

Kessler paying for his lack of action in the last 2 years - he was very dissapointing, but all credit to Ward he really raised his game and totally nullified Kessler.

Just saw the 2nd head butt again - looked intentional.

That said, Ward was bloody good on the inside.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Yeah besides the headbutts Ward was in control of almost every round of this fight. Very well done.

I don't think the butts were intentional, but I understand the griping...

It's soemthing that Kessler needs to sort out if he wants to carry on - you got to be able to adapt and fight on the inside when a ref obviously lets the hometown boy do that kind of thing (check Joe Cortez for example - never let Hatton hold Mayweather and fight on the inside, but let Hopkins do it all night against Calzaghe)

Props to Ward, his tactics worked, he roughed up Kessler (which I'm very surprised at). However his sanctimonious God talk grates a bit.

Abraham vs Ward should be a very interesting match up if it comes to pass.

DarienA

gollumsluvslave said:
It's soemthing that Kessler needs to sort out if he wants to carry on - you got to be able to adapt and fight on the inside when a ref obviously lets the hometown boy do that kind of thing (check Joe Cortez for example - never let Hatton hold Mayweather and fight on the inside, but let Hopkins do it all night against Calzaghe)

Props to Ward, his tactics worked, he roughed up Kessler (which I'm very surprised at). However his sanctimonious God talk grates a bit.

Abraham vs Ward should be a very interesting match up if it comes to pass.

The missus and I see fights all the time (live and on TV), lots of fighters due it. You just gotta ignore it/block it out and focus on the rest of their interviews.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Great display by Ward. He made Kessler look old and slow. The only thing I didn't like by Ward is when he would lead with his shoulder and head. He needs to clean it up a bit. Those 2 nasty cuts were caused by head-butts.

John_B

Ward executed a nice strategy. He was defensive and lightning fast. Kessler tried to attack but couldn't really adapt.

Those headbutts were ridiculous though. The last headbutt was flying and opened up a major cut on Kessler, which got him TKO in the end. I guess the americans can kid themselves into believing they have the best boxers again.

Jackson50

John_B said:
Ward executed a nice strategy. He was defensive and lightning fast. Kessler tried to attack but couldn't really adapt.

Those headbutts were ridiculous though. The last headbutt was flying and opened up a major cut on Kessler, which got him TKO in the end. I guess the americans can kid themselves into believing they have the best boxers again.
To be fair to Kessler, he did not lose by TKO. He lost by TD.

cthoaa

2h2fg48.jpg
2iax6oj.jpg
2ngvk0p.jpg

I went to this fight but didn't really enjoy. We had seats just in back of Team Donaire (Nonito was as kind and engaging as he is on tv) and to the left of Kessler's corner, but the rows weren't really staggered and a really big guy sat in front of me before the fights started.

Kessler IMO didn't show up. Ward is okay: he is better than I had figured, but still green. In the middle of the fight he threw one of those flying hooks, and even in his most robotic state Kessler ducked it so easily. The punch was way off the mark and Ward stumbled hard: everyone was like, ugh. Later in the fight, his technique in neutral ring had left him. (Tactics were okay, and in close quarters he was still strong though that can be attributed to Kessler's unpreparedness.)

2ic7ebq.jpg
1zf0k4.jpg
2zs7dig.jpg

I've kinda soured on Super Six after stage one. I didn't like the Abraham-Taylor pairing (or even Taylor's participation in the tourney), disagreed with the Froch-Dirrell decision, and didn't appreciate the quality or officiating of Kessler-Ward.

Before start time, pretty much everyone was still talking about Manny.

I fell asleep before the fight (been fighting a damn cold these past few days) but I read about the headbutts-- dirty.

Nanito's going to be the next great Filipino up and comer, especially if he moves up in weight ;)

cthoaa

Donaire's style will translate well across divisions, especially in the lowest weights where the difference is 3-4 pounds between classes. Someone was asking about when he's fighting next and it'll be in Vegas on Valentine's weekend, maybe at that new division.

Re: the headbutts, I don't think they were intentional. Early in the fight after backpedaling and running along on the ropes, Ward established that head-first dive either into Kessler's open stance or to his back as a very safe, useful move. Behind his own jab or past one of Kessler's, Ward was sliding forward easily as Kessler was so straight up and down and he initiated clinches and/or launched decent punches once inside. A little later, Ward put on earmuffs and moved wide across Kessler's chest and Kessler blatantly jumped back as if he was avoiding the biggest haymaker in the world. Everyone in my section was like, wow; it was really obvious that Ward's footwork and movement had Kessler off balance.

Towards the end Kessler was staying with Ward more and coping with the speed somewhat. He was a bit more aggressive in coming forward as he was clearly trailing on the scorecards and was starting to "bend (his) damn knees". Ward also kept coming forward uninhibited as he was having so much success inside and was delivering damage with his head while sustaining none -- here, I think the referee needed to act as the deterrent, either with stronger reprimands or even a point deduction, intentional foul or no.

Jackson50

According to Dan Rafael of ESPN.com, the negotiations for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao officially began Monday morning. I hope the promoters can reach an acceptable split for both fighters. I am expecting a 50-50 split, although a 45-45 split with the remaining 10% going to the winner would not surprise me.
Let the talks begin.

Formal negotiations in an effort to make a megafight between pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the first part of 2010 will open Monday, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.

In the year's biggest fight, Manny Pacquiao TKO'd Miguel Cotto to win his record seventh different title.
Schaefer was on his way Monday morning from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to meet Top Rank's Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, for lunch at the MGM Grand, which has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather fights.

"Floyd and me want to see if we can get the fight done," said Schaefer, who, although he doesn't have a promotional contract with Mayweather, has represented him in his past three fights and was asked to represent him in these talks. "The fact that I am flying to Las Vegas to meet with Bob shows you how serious our side is about making the fight.

"Bob and I will approach this without egos and try to get it done under fair terms. Floyd gave me his marching orders and I will see today how it goes and report back."

A pairing of Pacquiao and Mayweather is the biggest fight boxing has to offer and could break all sorts of revenue records.

In the year's biggest fight earlier this month, Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) beat Miguel Cotto on a technical knockout in the 12th round to win a welterweight title, his seventh title in a record seven weight divisions.

The fight sold 1.25 million units on pay-per-view and generated more than $70 million in domestic television revenue.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. returned from a short-lived retirement in September to dominate lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez.
Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), the former welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king before a short-lived retirement, returned on Sept. 19 to dominate lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez in a lopsided unanimous decision.

That fight generated 1.05 million buys on pay-per-view.

The all-time pay-per-view record is the 2.44 million buys generated by Mayweather's 2007 win against Oscar De La Hoya.

"I can confirm I am meeting with Richard, but I'm not going to talk about the specifics," Arum told ESPN.com. "It's a meeting where we will try to make the fight. Whether it can be made or not in this meeting, I don't know. We'll see what we will see."

Schaefer said he hopes he and Arum can make the fight quickly, rather than dragging the talks out for weeks.

"As part of the negotiations both Bob and I had to agree to keep all discussions confidential," Schaefer said. "No further comments will be made until such time that we either have a deal or the negotiations fall apart."
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4682772

Atrophis

Only just had a chance to watch Kessler - Ward.

Cant say i was too impressed by Kessler. After all the hype and being favourite, was he fighting worse than usual or was Ward just too good? Ive never seen either before. Kessler is pathetic on the inside, just standing there holding Ward while getting roughed up.

As for the head butting, when even the super biased showtime commentators admit he was intentionally running in like a bull, you know he using some dirty tactics.

So how does this fare for Froch? Dont think hes going to have any trouble with Kessler now.

Quazar

So boxing tonight:

November 28(10EST)
At Quebec City, Canada (HBO): Lucian Bute vs. Librado Andrade, rematch, 12 rounds, for Bute's IBF super middleweight title; Ali Funeka vs. Joan Guzman, 12 rounds, for vacant IBF lightweight title; Pier Olivier Cote vs. Jason Hayward, 10 rounds, lightweights; Craig McEwan vs. James Parison, 8 rounds, middleweights; Kevin Bizier vs. James Wayka, 6 rounds, welterweights; Keith Thurman vs. Leonardo Rojas, 8 rounds, junior middleweights

At Temecula, Calif. (Showtime): John Molina vs. Martin Honorio, 10 rounds, lightweights; Rico Ramos vs. Alejandro Perez, 8 rounds, junior featherweights; Charles Whitaker vs. Frankie Santos, 8 rounds, junior middleweights; Shawn Estrada vs. Cesar Ibarra, 4 rounds, super middleweights; Javier Molina vs. TBA, 4 rounds, welterweights; Ernest Mazyck vs. Ethan Cox, 4 rounds, heavyweights (11EST)

DarienA

These judges were smokin f'n crack in this Guzman/Funeka fight... wtf. Majority draw? Are you f'n kidding me?

Funeka easily won that fight...

Jarate

Banned
That was quite possibly one of the funniest interviews I had ever seen though, anyone with DVR should try to translate him

Pretty entertaining fight so far, better then most I have seen recently. BTW no way was Ramos was knocked down like the announcer said, he simply missed a huge punch and spun himself around while slipping.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
OH SNAP!

I never thought, I would see the day, that Librado Andrade would be KOed. I thought he won the first fight and was robbed, but this was simply a magnificient performance by Bute. What goddamn power!

Top Bottom