• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

harSon

Banned
K.Jack said:
Didn't Paq say that he'll do a post-fight blood test?

[Updated at 12:30 p.m.: Tygart told the Times today that the USADA's "testing will not interfere with the competition. It's unreasonable to believe that it would." Tygart noted that the NFL and MLB don't test blood and said that Pacquiao's current stance to be tested only 30 days and beyond from the fight was "unacceptable to any effective anti-doping program."]

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
harSon said:
You guys are unbelievable.

If Pacquiao is truly legit and the fighter he claims to be, he wouldn't let something as simple as random blood tests get in the way of solidifying his position as one of the best boxers of our era. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Mayweather wanting the fight to be 100% free of performance enhancing drugs, anyone who says otherwise is a bona fide retard.

I don't see how Pac's fans can condone such bullshit, his excuse is he doesn't react well to blood being taken out. That's pretty fucking ridiculous, if Mayweather said some shit like that 90% of you would be demanding that his boxing licence be suspended. The hypocrisy here is astounding.
I've known a lot of Asian people who think the same way. You're looking at it from the perspective of an Western person that thinks this particular cultural custom is stupid and wrong. Maybe it is, but that's how he rolls and Mayweather knows that and is trying to annoy him with a silly condition that really doesn't matter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ShadyMilkman said:
Just more posturing to get more hype for the fight. I'm not really worried about this canceling anything; there's too much money at stake.
He's not trying to get out of the fight either.

It's a no-lose scenario for Money May; he doesn't lose anything if Pac submits to it, and if he refuses he gains both Pac looking bad for refusing and the ability to insiste Pac was cheating if PBF loses.

SUPREME1

Banned
harSon said:
And?

The figure is still ridiculous.

Also, have a look at the link I posted above. Manny would have to provide no more than tablespoon of blood a few days before the fight, the people in charge of the testing have also said that blood taken 30 days or more prior to the fight would be completely useless as far as anti doping measures are concerned.

Manny is just being unbelievably superstitious.

And?

Manny don't have to budge an inch if he don't want. NSAC sets the rules.

Mayweather can go f*ck himself and his crackhead daddy.

SUPREME1

Banned
K.Jack said:
Didn't Paq say that he'll do a post-fight blood test?

Yup.

Immediately after the fight.

Willing to provide them with as much piss as the ywant, when they want...

AND give them blood immediately after the fight.

But Mayweather insists on playing games. Manny did the right thing and basically told them to f*ck off. Manny won round 1 of the head games.

Roach is too savvy to let any of Mayweather's tactics affect Manny.

oneHeero

Mayweather is being a bitch. Nothing else around it. Harson, your fucken blind. He has that 10mil per lb overweight cuz he has fucked up before. If there were reasons to drug test pac more extensively than I'm behind you. But there are no reasons behind it. This isnt a olympic fight, wtf are you thinking? Additional testing for no reason? You ask why its a big deal, you tell us wtf is the big deal? Pac has a history of drug use? Pac got caught using drugs already? Allegations from before? What? What is the reason for the extra testing? NOTHING, why add something if its no big deal? I'll repost my previous comment since it was ignored.

You get all that? Pacquiao doesn't want to have his blood taken too close to the fight, something the USADA and the Olympics require. But this isn't the Olympics, and the USADA has no jurisdiction. This is boxing, which has its own rules in place (in this case, the Nevada State Athletic Commission's). Pacquiao will be tested during the run-up to the fight, and immediately after it — like every other boxer ever.

If Mayweather wants to submit to an extra test for no reason whatsoever, more power to him. But to point to Pacquiao playing by the rules and using that to imply he's cheating? That's just...well, it's boxing, and that's just good old fashioned psychological warfare.

harSon

Banned
Boxing's drug testing policies are ancient and need updating, most major sports either already do some form of blood testing or are looking to transition over to it. Urine testing in itself is an ineffective means of catching performance enhancing drug users, it simply tests for the drugs themselves which isn't 100% considering there are ways to mask drugs, nevermind the fact that some drugs cannot be specifically pinpointed within these tests.

Blood testing in itself is also ineffective, it doesn't become truly effective until you contrast blood samples over the course of daily or weekly intervals. Those in charge of the Olympic testing have already said that a sample taken within the parameters the Pac camp insist on are completely useless as far as anti doping measures are concerned.

Manny doesn't have to do it, but he's going to have to come up with a better reason than superstition for not doing so. Within today's age of steroid infested sports, society ain't going to take an athletes word, if they give any reason of doubt, people are automatically going to superimpose an asterisk next to your name. Judging from today's rotation of sports television, analysts have already begun to question his refusal to test and reasons for not doing it. The Pac camp better do something more profound in the near future, because Mayweather's pseudo accusation is beginning to stick.

harSon said:
Boxing's drug testing policies are ancient and need updating, most major sports either already do some form of blood testing or are looking to transition over to it. Urine testing in itself is an ineffective means of catching performance enhancing drug users, it simply tests for the drugs themselves which isn't 100% considering there are ways to mask drugs, nevermind the fact that some drugs cannot be specifically pinpointed within these tests.

Blood testing in itself is also ineffective, it doesn't become truly effective until you contrast blood samples over the course of daily or weekly intervals. Those in charge of the Olympic testing have already said that a sample taken within the parameters the Pac camp insist on are completely useless as far as anti doping measures are concerned.

Manny doesn't have to do it, but he's going to have to come up with a better reason than superstition for not doing so. Within today's age of steroid infested sports, society ain't going to take an athletes word, if they give any reason of doubt, people are automatically going to superimpose an asterisk next to your name. Judging from today's rotation of sports television, analysts have already begun to question his refusal to test and reasons for not doing it. The Pac camp better do something more profound in the near future, because Mayweather's pseudo accusation is beginning to stick.

His reason is that he doesn't have to. He's following the rules as they are currently set and if the rules are changed to allow for more blood testing, I'm sure he'll follow along.

harSon

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
His reason is that he doesn't have to. He's following the rules as they are currently set and if the rules are changed to allow for more blood testing, I'm sure he'll follow along.

That's not his reason for doing so. They're willing to give blood tests in the beginning of 2010 and one directly after the fight, none of which is required.

His reason for doing so is rooted in superstition. He thinks a tablespoon or less of blood taken anywhere within 30 days of the fight is going to somehow physically drain him.

I haven't checked the sources or anything for this video so take it for what it is....the video lets it's bias known at the very beginning, but....a video of Pac-Man getting blood tested within 30 days of the Hatton fight.

Do I think he's juiced? Not really, but I would like to hear some real solid reasoning behind not taking the stricter test. If it's just a dick wagging contest between these guys, then humor Floyd, take the test, and turn the whole thing around on him.

I personally don't have anything against this because I think that all athletes in every sport should be getting tested more strictly, I'm a little surprised that boxing doesn't have random test already.

Arum has called the fight dead.

LAS VEGAS – Promoter Bob Arum declared the megafight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. dead Thursday, though efforts continued to find a compromise to a dispute over blood testing.

"It's over," Arum said. "O-V-E-R."

Arum had set a Thursday deadline for an agreement on testing, the only issue not resolved for the planned March 13 fight. But with the Mayweather camp still insisting on using the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to conduct the tests, Arum said there wasn't much left to discuss.

"They're viewed by the Pacquiao side as being partisan," Arum said, referring to USADA. "He doesn't want to use them. I don't want to use them. They're so inflexible they can't be used."

Despite Arum's statements, there were some talks through intermediaries to try and salvage the bout. Neither side, though, appeared to be backing off its position on the biggest dispute: Who will do the testing?

Arum said he planned to move forward by having Pacquiao fight March 13 against Paul Malignaggi, a flashy but light-hitting 140-pounder. He said there was still a chance Pacquiao and Mayweather could meet later in the year.

"As far as I'm concerned the fight is over," Arum said. "Can it be revisited in the fall? We'll see."

Mayweather's representatives could not be immediately reached for comment, but Arum said an effort Thursday by HBO Sports chief Ross Greenburg to reach a compromise had failed. There were still other talks going on between the two sides, but the odds of the fight happening were dimming with each day.

At the core of the dispute is the insistence of the Mayweather camp of using Olympic-style drug testing for the fight, even though both fighters have never been linked to any performance-enhancing substances. Under Nevada regulations, boxers are generally only tested just before the fight and in the dressing room afterward, and only urine is given.

Mayweather's camp wants blood tests that can find things urine tests can't, such as use of human growth hormone, and they want them done by USADA from the time the fight is signed until the fight is held. Pacquiao's side has agreed to both urine and blood testing, but doesn't want testing immediately before the fight because Pacquiao believes giving blood so soon before a fight will weaken him.

A possible resolution that had been discussed would allow USADA to do limited testing. That would likely not be accepted by USADA because it wants to set an example that all athletes should be subject to random and unannounced testing at any time.

The fight was expected to be the richest ever, with both fighters earning $30 million to $40 million, depending on television sales.

I still think it'll happen, but, news is news I guess.

Too much money for it not to happen, but this whining and bitching is exactly why boxing is in the shit place it is in. People don't care about this stuff they just want to see shit get done. Imagine if the Super Bowl teams had to negotiate and snipe at each other before getting a deal done to play each other?

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1457/de_l...ather_impasse/

De La Hoya Blog: Pacquiao-Mayweather impasse
Posted Dec. 23, 2009 at 04:45pm
By Oscar De La Hoya

Oscar De La Hoya gives his take on Manny Pacquiao’s refusal to take Olympic-style random blood tests, which is threatening to scuttle a pending fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on March 13. Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter, has said that the fighter is willing to take blood tests three months before the fight, 30 days before the fight and after the fight but not random tests. Pacquiao doesn’t want to be tested close to fight because, he says, it weakens him. The sides appear to be considering a compromise that would involve a cutoff date for testing – maybe 3-5 days before the fight – to solve the impasse. De La Hoya has fought two fighters found to have taken performance enhancing drugs – Shane Mosley and Fernando Vargas. He also fought Pacquiao.

First of all, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency agreed that they won’t take blood from the fighters 48 hours before the fight as some people seem to think. They’re going to take only a few tablespoons through random testing in the three months leading up to the fight.

If Pacquiao, the toughest guy on the planet, is afraid of needles and having a few tablespoons of blood drawn from his system, then something is wrong. The guy has tattoos everywhere; he’s tattooed from top to bottom. You’re telling me he’s afraid of needles?

And the idea that urine tests can detect HGH [Human Growth Hormone] is wrong. I talked to Travis Tygart, CEO of the USADA. He testified before Congress that anyone who says HGH can be detected by a urine test is mistaken. It can only be detected by a blood test.

So you have to do the blood work. If Pacquiao doesn’t want to do this and risk a possible $40 million payday because he’s afraid of needles or believes he’ll be weakened by blood tests, then that raises question marks.

Now I have to wonder about him. I’m saying to myself, “Wow. Those Mosley punches, those Vargas punches and those Pacquiao punches all felt the same.” I’m not saying yes or no [about whether Pacquiao might be taking performance-enhancing drugs]; I’m just saying that now people have to wonder: “Why doesn’t he want to do this? Why is it such a big deal.”

A lot of eyebrows have been raised. This is not good at all.

I believe Mayweather wants to do the right thing, to get tested properly. He’s not doing it to harass Pacquiao; that’s garbage. I would say to Pacquiao: “Do the test. Do it because it’s only a couple of tablespoons. Needles don’t hurt. Just look away when they put the needle in your arm.” He’ll probably lose more blood in the fight than the blood being drawn for the test.

And do it because we as a sport are in a unique situation. We can paint ourselves as the cleanest sport by doing this test. Why don’t you want to do it?

C’mon. It’s only a little bit of blood. If you have nothing to hide, then do the test.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I fucking knew it.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mayweather was looking for excuses since day 1. The man is the best at finding ways to duck the top guys.

harSon

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
I fucking knew it.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mayweather was looking for excuses since day 1. The man is the best at finding ways to duck the top guys.

Only Mayweather haters are thinking this way, every sane analyst is critical of Pac's refusal to do this style of blood work.

harSon said:
Only Mayweather haters are thinking this way, every sane analyst is critical of Pac's refusal to do this style of blood work.

If Mayweather wants to help legitimize the sport, he can petition the appropriate boxing commissions and whatnot.

harSon

Banned
elrechazao said:
Uhh, not at all.

I haven't payed attention today, but pretty much everything I saw on television and online that wasn't amateur in nature yesterday, questioned Manny's decision. Many pointed out the fact that it was a mind game on Mayweather's part but almost everyone seemed to agree that Manny should agree to such testing and that his excuse for not doing so is complete bullshit.

Even De La Hoya agrees with Mayweather :lol

harSon said:
I haven't payed attention today, but pretty much everything I saw on television and online that wasn't amateur in nature yesterday, questioned Manny's decision. Many pointed out the fact that it was a mind game on Mayweather's part but almost everyone seemed to agree that Manny should agree to such testing and that his excuse for not doing so is complete bullshit.

Even De La Hoya agrees with Mayweather :lol
Floyd's promoter agrees? :eek: Will wonders never cease?

I think the main problem here (apart from Floyd re-writing the rules of boxing) is that if Pac believes giving blood so close to the fight will make him weaker, it probably will. I still think a follicle test is an ideal compromise.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
does it really matter if they wait 30 days and just do it straight after the fight? Surely something like steroids (or whatever he's now being accused of) would stick around and be detectable in the blood.

I did google this but I couldn't make sense of it.

Bishman

All you Mayweather fans need to read this:

New York-based athletic physician, Dr. Keith Pyne, a private injury consultant for NFL athletes and those who participate in running and combat sports, told AOL Fanhouse, “I have more than 800 guys who are special athletes who are all drug-tested. And the urine testing is sufficient that you won’t miss anything, especially with performance-enhancing drugs. So, yes, I believe that the urine testing is more than sufficient for boxing. If you’re using steroids, it’s going to come up for sure in urine. There’s no way it’s going to get through the liver and the kidney without being detected.”

Urine testing is fine. Pacquiao has never failed a test and it is the Nevada Athletic Commission that Pacquaio will follow, not Mayweather's rules.

Roach comments about not being afraid of testing: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_5795626,00.html

Bishman said:
All you Mayweather fans need to read this:

Urine testing is fine. Pacquiao has never failed a test and it is the Nevada Athletic Commission that Pacquaio will follow, not Mayweather's rules.

Roach comments about not being afraid of testing: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_5795626,00.html

Urine testing and the blood test after is more than acceptable.

Mayweather felt pressured into accepting this fight and wants out in any way. He would rather box someone where he has a big advantage and he can bore everyone with a decision after 12 rounds.

A poll on Yahoo earlier was hugely in favor for Manny not to give in. I think most of the general public sees it that way.

Bishman

Bob Arum: Let the Nevada Athletic Commission handle the testing
The negotiations for the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao megabout slated for the MGM in Las Vegas, thought to be near death, may yet be revived, thanks to the potential involvement of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum told FanHouse on Thursday night.

Pacquaio's refusal to allow the United States Anti-Doping Agency to draw blood within a 30-day period of the bout's March 13 date was in direct disagreement with the demands of Mayweather's camp, which wants both fighters to be randomly tested for performance enhancing drugs.

As a result, Arum told FanHouse earlier on Thursday that the fight was off.

But Arum, apparently, has changed his mind.

"Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, has been authorized to offer the services of the Nevada Commission to step in and to do all of the prefight drug-testing if the two fighters agree," said Arum.

"So that is a real development, because we would certainly be willing to sit down and work out a protocol with them. The Nevada Commission would be perfect to handle this," said Arum. "The commission has suggested it, and we're very much in favor of it. We would love it. It's something that is a positive development."

In the event that the Mayweather-Pacquiao deal was off, Arum already had contacted junior welterweight (140 pounds) Paulie Malignaggi (27-3, five KOs) as a possible opponent for Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs).

Lou DiBella, Malignaggi's promoter, confirmed that he and Malignaggi would discuss the offer over the weekend.

"Obviously, we're not going to conclude the deal with Malignaggi until Monday," said Arum. "So let's see what happens between now and over the weekend. Now that the Nevada Commission has stepped up, I think that it might very well solve the situation."

Arum said that he was informed "about an hour ago" about the interest of Kizer, whose organization never has used blood-testing for illegal drugs -- only urinalysis before and after fights.

Pacquiao wanted the USADA only to test him three times -- once in January, once on Feb. 13, or 30 days from the fight, and once more in the locker room afterward.

"But if the Nevada Commission was doing it, then we would agree to do as many tests as they wanted to do -- urine and blood -- up to a certain date to be agreed upon," said Arum.

"The Nevada Commission will do it appropriately. That's terrific. In other words, we wouldn't limit it to a certain number of tests because we know that the Nevada Commission won't harass the fighters. "

Pacquiao has fought 11 times in Las Vegas, and has tested clean every time, Kizer has said. Arum said that he would be willing to work out a protocol with Kizer based on trust. Kizer could not be reached for comment Thursday.

"We would sit down with Mayweather's side and say, 'Here's what we're prepared to do with the Nevada Commission.' And then, the other side would sit down and say what they would be prepared to do," said Arum. "And then, the commission would then take it from there, and hold random urinalysis and random blood tests."

Arum said that he has not spoken about the new developments with Pacquiao, who is celebrating Christmas in the Philippines.

But Arum believes that the seven-division champion would be willing to relent on his 30-day demand with the NSAC.

"I would think that they [the commission] may say they'll do it up to two weeks in front or up to 10 days in front of the fight or something like that," said Arum. "I think that if it's the Nevada Commission, we would have no hesitation because we've been regulated by the Nevada Commission, and they've had many of my fights and my fighters over many years."

Arum said that he is not sure how the side of Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) will react, but said that Golden Boy promotions' Richard Schaefer, negotiating on Mayweather's behalf, has been contacted.

"We would be willing to put this all in the hands of the Nevada Commission," said Arum. "We have complete trust in their integrity and their ability to deal with professional fighters. We have complete confidence."

http://www.sgvtribune.com/sports/ci_14068081:
Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, said he would consider a blood test as close as five days before the fight but no closer.

If Mayweather can not agree with 5 days before the fight, he is a coward plain and simple.

Teddman

This just in, Manny's camp is SUING Mayweather and Golden Boy promotions for defamation.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...gainst-mayweather-golden-boy-productions.html

Here's an updated statement from Top Rank and Pacquiao:

SARANGANI, PHILIPPINES (Dec. 25) Saying that his character and person has been questioned, maligned, damaged and tarnished by baseless and false accusations, pound-for-pound boxing king Manny Pacquiao and promoter Top Rank Inc. announced today the filing of a lawsuit within the next few days against the Mayweathers, Floyd Sr. and Jr., et al, and Golden Boy Promotions.

Enough is enough. These people, Mayweather Sr., Jr., and Golden Boy Promotions, think it is a joke and a right to accuse someone wrongly of using steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs. I have tried to just brush it off as a mere pre-fight ploy but I think they have gone overboard, said Pacquiao in Tagalog while celebrating Christmas with his family here.

I have instructed my promoter, Bob Arum, head of Top Rank Inc., to help me out in the filing of the case as soon as possible because I have had people coming over to me now asking if I really take performance-enhancing drugs and I have cheated my way into becoming the No. 1 boxer in the world, said Pacquiao.

Libel, slander and defamation suits are being readied against the accused to once and for all clear out Pacquiaos good name and character.
This week, Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions came out with a press release threatening to put a stop to the projected biggest fight in boxing history between the two top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, by asking too many unrealistic and unprecedented items on the bargaining table, including that of an Olympic-style drug testing.

I maintain and assure everyone that I have not used any form or kind of steroids and that my way to the top is a result of hard work, hard work, hard work and a lot of blood spilled from my past battles in the ring, not outside of it, added the Filipino champion who just turned 31 a week ago. I have no idea what steroids look like and my fear in God has kept me safe and victorious through all these years.

Now, I say to Floyd Mayweather Jr., dont be a coward and face me in the ring, mano-a-mano and shut your big, pretty mouth, so we can show the world who is the true king of the ring, said Pacquiao, who has been contemplating on filing a case against Mayweather Sr. even before the start of his Nov. 14 fight with Miguel Angel Cotto. I did not sue because I did not want to get distracted during that time because I was preparing for one of the toughest fights in my career.

Pretty Boy Floyd, face me instead on March 13 in Las Vegas and not in some talk show forum or in press releases written for you by people who dont even know me. Face me in a fight where I get to punch back. You and your cohorts have accused me of using performance-enhancing drugs. Now, I say, the burden of proof should now come from you, not me, said Pacquiao, the only seven-time, seven-weight division champion in the history of the sport.

Pacquiao said he is not against any form of drug testing mandated by any state athletic sports commission whenever, wherever he fights. He just finds it funny and stupid to change a system that has been set for decades now. Pacquiao undergoes drug testing and other medical examinations before and after every fight over the past 15 years and has never failed any of these tests.

These people think they are doing the sport a great service. They are not, added Pacquiao. To Floyd, despite all these accusations, may your Christmas be merry and I will see you in court, soon, too.

-- Lance Pugmire
So does this mean the fight is definitely off? Or just more pre-fight hype?

I can't believe they are really going to let this fight fall apart. Boxing has pretty much been on a massive decline since Lewis retired and has not been exciting at all. This fight had me as excited as I use to be back in the better heavyweight days. Boxing needed this fight to happen. Such a fucking shame. Guess I will go back to watching people beat up severe underdogs to bolster their record.

Baby Milo

Manny is protesting a bit to loudly over a blood test. Taking the test would answer all the questions that need to be answered.

hmmmm

Teddman

No, I side with Manny on this one. You cannot set a precedent for additional testing outside and above the sport's own standards. It would open every big fight to testing posturing, abuse allegations, and back and forth demands.

am I the only one who thinks Floyd could be doing Manny a BIG favor. If Manny accepts the tests as they should be and he comes out clean he automatically clears his name and can give everyone the middle finger. Thats IF he is clean

Teddman

He's definitely not doing Manny any favors.

Most casual fans of boxing didn't think of steroids when they thought of Manny, now he's been associated with them even though he's never tested positive. And this story is getting a lot of press.

Baby Milo said:
Manny is protesting a bit to loudly over a blood test. Taking the test would answer all the questions that need to be answered.

hmmmm

Please..

Manny said once he isn't taking the test. EVeryone one else on Manny's side is protesting against the early blood tests.

People please do some fucking research yourself: HGH doesn't last more than 5 hours in your system, only if you have been abusing it, it stays longer in your system and is able to be tested via your pissing. These random blood tests will 100% mean on the day of the fight.

Mayweather's requests sounds stupid because:

1) He is not the P4P champion and he shouldn't be making these crazy wild requests as a challenger. Just shut the fuck up and fight
2) There is NO FORMER EVIDENCE OF PACQUIAO being on HGH other than a few old wives tales, because Mayweather Snr is scared of him beating his son
3) The rules of drug testing have been in boxing for years and years already, an there is no reason for them to change now. What if Shaq said "That dude LeBron is a fouler when the ref isn't looking, next match I want an extra two judges". IT WON'T HAPPEN. Because the rules are already in place

This is nothing more than pussy footing with Pacquiao. The Olympic style blood tests mean that Pacquiao will 99% certainly be getting tested on the day of the fight which he does not want. But he said it's ok for random drugs tests but any closer than 30 days, or after the fight OR any time with piss

If you guys have even bothered using any sports related supplements, then you know if you've been using it for a while, it will show up in your system either through piss or blood. IF You've been using it enough. I talked to my guys at the gym yesterday and they said tonnes of people have been caught with HGH in their system 2 months prior to competitions because they were constantly using it. If you knew how steroids works it's simple:

-To test if any steroid is in the system then it needs to be random blood tests, within 5 hours of suspected use, or tested via urine within 12 hours of suspected use.

-If Pacquiao has been at his higher weight for a few years now, he hasn't just "started to use HGH" (this is what Mayweather's camp is accusing him off), so HGH will still be apparent in his system no matter the test he takes

Either way, if this fight doesn't happen, and both boxers retire; I'm 100% sure that Pacquiao will be remembered as the better boxer, as he's still got more exciting challengers ahead of him, not cherry picked opponents to bolster his undefeated record

Edit*

GH has a half-life in the blood of approximately 17 to 45 minutes. Because of this, detecting GH in a drug screen is very hard.

This is why the 30 day window in reality is fine. These are steroids yes, they aren't a wonder drug that will make Pacman act like superman in less than 30 days..

But fuck it, it's time to cook holiday goose & turkey..

Have a good one guys...

http://philboxing.com/news/story-31711.html

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum wholeheartedly supports pound-for-king Manny Pacquiao’s decision to sue Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Floyd Mayweather Sr and his son, undefeated former pound-for-pound No.1 Floyd Mayweather Jr for libel, slander and defamation.

In an overseas telephone conversation with www.insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports, Arum said “I am so delighted that he’s standing up outside the ring like a man just like he does in the ring.”

Arum who has been livid over the demands of the Mayweather camp and the allegations made against Pacquiao said "We are not going to accede to this drug testing by this organization of idiots that handle the drug testing for the amateur kids." Arum had suggested during the impasse that the agency that does the drug-tests for professional sports such as the NBA, the NFL and Major League Baseball be allowed to handle the tests but that was turned down by Schaefer and Mayweather.

Pacquiao had earlier indicated to us that he didn’t wish to dignify the statements made by Mayweather Sr and Schaefer and give them the publicity and attention they were looking for. However, in a statement attributed to him, Pacquiao now says enough is enough and that his character and person have been questioned, maligned, damaged and tarnished by baseless and false accusations and he has instructed Arum and his own lawyers to file a lawsuit against those who have accused him of taking performance-enhancing drugs without a shred of evidence.

The founding secretary general of the World Boxing Council, eminent lawyer-sportsman Rudy Salud said “I’ve been waiting for them (Pacquiao and Arum) to do that. They have all the right to do that and they will win that case. They cannot deny the statements in which they have accused Pacquiao without any evidence. They are caught. No way for them to get out of that.”

Salud said “now they have to prove their accusations and cannot force him to undergo any test to prove his innocence under any specific system because of the presumption of innocence.” Salud added that in court Pacquiao “can prove that by way of the drug tests conducted by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which they can present as evidence, that he has been tested so many times and found to be clean of any drugs.”

In a statement issued Christmas morning in the Philippines, Pacquiao was quoted as saying “enough is enough. These people think it’s a joke and a right to accuse someone wrongly of using steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs. I have tried to just brush it off as a mere pre-fight ploy but I think they have gone overboard.”

“I have instructed my promoter, Bob Arum, head of Top Rank Inc., to help me out in the filing of the case as soon as possible because I have had people coming over to me now asking if I really take performance-enhancing drugs and I have cheated my way into becoming the No. 1 boxer in the world.”

www.insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports learned that all options would be studied by the top-notch lawyers to be retained by Arum and Pacquiao and that libel, slander and defamation suits are expected to be filed against those who made the statements on TV and in several newspapers and internet sites.

Pacquiao was named “Fighter of the Year” by the prestigious Sports Illustrated, was also chosen “Fighter of the Year” twice before and is a cinch to win the award for 2009. He was the first Filipino boxer to appear on the cover of Time Magazine. He has won every conceivable award in the sport and has been acknowledged as the “Hero of Asia” for his achievements in the ring, his humility, his generous assistance to the poor and his concern for his countrymen as well as his help in promoting the careers of other promising Filipino boxers and the unsubstantiated allegations made against him have incensed millions of his countrymen to whom he is a national hero.

Mayweather Sr, in an interview prior to his son’s fight against Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas told Dyan Castillejo of ABS-CBN that Pacquiao was on some performance-enhancing drug, started the effort to undermine the character of the pound-for-pound king who has been credited for virtually saving the sport of boxing and to question his achievements in the ring.

This week, Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions indicated that Mayweather won’t fight Pacquiao unless he took an Olympic-style drug-testing program handled by the US Anti Doping Agency or USADA. Pacquiao and Arum agreed to be tested one day before the kickoff press conference, 30 days before the fight and immediately after the fight in the dressing room stressing that if he was taking drugs it would surely come out. But Mayweathers handlers insisted on having it their way and Arum, as a way of saving the fight, agreed to have Pacquiao tested by the agency that tests NBA, NFL and MBL players but that too was turned down prompting Arum, Pacquiao, celebrated trainer Freddie Roach and conditioning expert Alex Ariza to claim that Mayweather was looking for a way out because he was scared of Pacquiao who was ready to give him, as Ariza said, “the beating of his life.”

Pacquiao, in his statement reiterated what he’s said before, “I maintain and assure everyone that I have not used any form or kind of steroids and that my way to the top is a result of hard work, hard work, hard work and a lot of blood spilled from my past battles in the ring, not outside of it.”

Pacquiao, supported by Arum, Roach and Ariza stated “I have no idea what steroids look like and my fear in God has kept me safe and victorious through all these years.”

In a direct challenge to Mayweather Jr Pacquiao said “don’t be a coward and face me in the ring, mano-a-mano and shut your big, pretty mouth, so we can show the world who is the true king of the ring.”

Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz confirmed to us that Pacquiao, has been contemplating on filing a case against Mayweather Sr. even before the start of his Nov. 14 fight with Miguel Angel Cotto. He said then that he “ did not sue because he did not want to get distracted during that time” because as Pacquiao himself said he was preparing for one of the toughest fights of his career.

The statement which was initially released on philboxing.com quoted Pacquiao as saying “Pretty Boy Floyd, face me instead on March 13 in Las Vegas and not in some talk show forum or in press releases written for you by people who don’t even know me. Face me in a fight where I get to punch back. You and your cohorts have accused me of using performance-enhancing drugs. Now, I say, the burden of proof should now come from you, not me,” said Pacquiao, the only seven-time, seven-weight division champion in the history of the boxing.

Koncz told us that Pacquiao is not against any form of drug testing mandated by any state athletic sports commission and in fact supports the effort to keep all athletic disciplines free of drugs because athletes are role models for the youth. It was noted that Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer has often maintained that Pacquiao has been tested before and after every fight in Las Vegas and had been found free of any performance enhancing drugs or steroids.

Pacquiao’s statement concluded “These people think they are doing the sport a great service. They are not To Floyd, despite all these accusations, may your Christmas be merry and I will see you in court, soon, too.”

TheCardPlayer

Fuck yeah, bring their asses to court Pacman.

The man never raised any doubts ever, about any cheat or steroid use. Ever. His weight never fluctuated above a 5 pound difference in the past 4-5 years.

Mayweather and his team were looking for reasons to back out since day 1. First it was the gloves, then the size of the ring, and now some testing that's not even regulation.

Pacquaio agreed to more tests, than even necessary but of course, it's not good enough for Mayweather. Such a legend. He'll only be remembed as the guy who was the best at ducking the best.

harSon

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
Please..

Manny said once he isn't taking the test. EVeryone one else on Manny's side is protesting against the early blood tests.

People please do some fucking research yourself: HGH doesn't last more than 5 hours in your system, only if you have been abusing it, it stays longer in your system and is able to be tested via your pissing. These random blood tests will 100% mean on the day of the fight.

Mayweather's requests sounds stupid because:

1) He is not the P4P champion and he shouldn't be making these crazy wild requests as a challenger. Just shut the fuck up and fight
2) There is NO FORMER EVIDENCE OF PACQUIAO being on HGH other than a few old wives tales, because Mayweather Snr is scared of him beating his son
3) The rules of drug testing have been in boxing for years and years already, an there is no reason for them to change now. What if Shaq said "That dude LeBron is a fouler when the ref isn't looking, next match I want an extra two judges". IT WON'T HAPPEN. Because the rules are already in place

This is nothing more than pussy footing with Pacquiao. The Olympic style blood tests mean that Pacquiao will 99% certainly be getting tested on the day of the fight which he does not want. But he said it's ok for random drugs tests but any closer than 30 days, or after the fight OR any time with piss

If you guys have even bothered using any sports related supplements, then you know if you've been using it for a while, it will show up in your system either through piss or blood. IF You've been using it enough. I talked to my guys at the gym yesterday and they said tonnes of people have been caught with HGH in their system 2 months prior to competitions because they were constantly using it. If you knew how steroids works it's simple:

-To test if any steroid is in the system then it needs to be random blood tests, within 5 hours of suspected use, or tested via urine within 12 hours of suspected use.

-If Pacquiao has been at his higher weight for a few years now, he hasn't just "started to use HGH" (this is what Mayweather's camp is accusing him off), so HGH will still be apparent in his system no matter the test he takes

Either way, if this fight doesn't happen, and both boxers retire; I'm 100% sure that Pacquiao will be remembered as the better boxer, as he's still got more exciting challengers ahead of him, not cherry picked opponents to bolster his undefeated record

Edit*

This is why the 30 day window in reality is fine. These are steroids yes, they aren't a wonder drug that will make Pacman act like superman in less than 30 days..

But fuck it, it's time to cook holiday goose & turkey..

Have a good one guys...

I'm pretty sure HGH cannot be tested for within urine. And the notion that this fight shouldn't break boxing's standard drug testing methods simply because it's tradition is bullshit, sports should always evolve alongside technology, and in a era where performance enhancing drugs are a huge issue in sports, Boxing should look to employ the very best like most others are looking to do. The Olympic testers have already said that Pacquaio's camp's demands (30+ days prior to the fight and after) are completely useless in determining any kind of doping.

Mayweather has compromised, he has agreed to to take a $10 million penalty for every pound he comes in overweight, an unheard of figure within the sport, and has agreed to use Manny's gloves of choice. People keep saying that Mayweather is trying to dodge the fight, but everything up until now has been the exact opposite.

eggandI said:
Hahaha Pacman is such a baby. Needles are scary blood is scary :( :(
Yeah, a guy who makes his living beating the shit out of people and taking punches like a champ is a baby. I'm sure you'd say that to his face if you ever had a chance. :lol

TheCardPlayer

elrechazao said:
Yeah, a guy who makes his living beating the shit out of people and taking punches like a champ is a baby. I'm sure you'd say that to his face if you ever had a chance. :lol

Pacquiao didn't say he was afraid of needles. Just that he didn't want his blood drawn too close to the fight since he thinks it might affect his stamina.

Not only that, but Pacquaio even agrees to be tested before and after the fight. Just not 24 hours before it. And then again, there's nothing he can take to enhance his performance 24 hours prior.

He's already been tested before and after all his previous fights and never showed any sign of drug use. But Mayweather just had to bring that up to avoid the fight altogether.

Baby Milo

TheCardPlayer said:
He's already been tested before and after all his previous fights and never showed any sign of drug use. But Mayweather just had to bring that up to avoid the fight altogether.
:lol yeah the guy who has conceded to the other sides demands is avoiding the fight

TheCardPlayer

Baby Milo said:
:lol yeah the guy who has conceded to the other sides demands is avoiding the fight

Again, he agrees to test after the fight! If he takes something, it'll show. But it's not enough for Mayweather!

They agree to urine and blood tests before AND after the fight! And remember that Pacquiao never took drugs before.

This is Mayweather being the slickest dodger of good fighters ever. He's now successfully ducked Cotto, Margarito, Mosley, and Pacquaio! He's amazing. I've never seen such a skilled ducker before.

TheCardPlayer said:
Again, he agrees to test after the fight! If he takes something, it'll show. But it's not enough for Mayweather!

They agree to urine and blood tests before AND after the fight! And remember that Pacquiao never took drugs before.

This is Mayweather being the slickest dodger of good fighters ever. He's now successfully ducked Cotto, Margarito, Mosley, and Pacquaio! He's amazing. I've never seen such a skilled ducker before.

it doesn't necessarily show. If Mayweather's camp is concerned about HGH, which requires blood tests i believe (and to be fair, i think this is as much gamesmanship from PBF as it is concern) i remember hearing that it can be undetectable within a few days, and one is more likely to use it and have it in their system during the training rather than during the fight and immediately after.

Personally I think the testing should be left up to whatever state they are in and what the fight commission says. I have no idea why fighters or promoters even have a say in it, but then again that explains why boxing is in such a shitty state.

harSon

Banned
Testing 30+ days prior and directly after the fight is useless for anti-doping measures.

Olympic style testing is effective because it's numerous and sporadic, there's no point in testing for HGH if you're going to do it infrequently and on a predetermined schedule :lol

TheCardPlayer

harSon said:
Testing 30+ days prior and directly after the fight is useless for anti-doping measures.

Pacquaio agreed to 2 days before the fight. Last time he was tested 24 hours before a fight was against Morales and it drained him silly. He doesn't want that to happen again. Mayweather just doesn't want the fight to happen.

He'll probably fight Ivan Calderon or something. Since you know, Mayweather as a welterweight doesn't fight welterweights. He LOVES picking on smaller fighters. You know, because challenge is bad?

eggandI

Banned
Holy shit you dudes need to hop off Pacman's and Mayweather's nuts. A little bloodtest isn't going to have any signifiance on Pacquiao's performance. So far the only news I've read report the Pacquiao camp saying they would only agree to the testing if it's a month or more before the fight. A bloodtest is somehow going to ruin their entire camp, training and spirit? get out of here with that bullshit. Also, to the guy up there who is telling people to get their shit straight, YOU get your facts straight. There are PEDs which urine test cannot detect.

Top Bottom