• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Manny could/should beat Clottey, then unify against the winner of Mosley/Berto, where does this leave Floyd? Who the heck is he going to fight that anyone will pay money to see? Unless he goes for the winner of Mosley/Berto...which does not seem to be his style.

harSon

Banned
x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Manny could/should beat Clottey, then unify against the winner of Mosley/Berto, where does this leave Floyd? Who the heck is he going to fight that anyone will pay money to see? Unless he goes for the winner of Mosley/Berto...which does not seem to be his style.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Mayweather is more likely to face the winner of Mosley/Berto, especially if the winner is Mosley considering he's a part of Golden Boy. Berto's promoter, Lou DiBella, has also worked closely with Golden Boy on Malignaggi's last two fights. Not to mention the fact that Pacquiao has elections to worry about.

harSon said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but Mayweather is more likely to face the winner of Mosley/Berto, especially if the winner is Mosley considering he's a part of Golden Boy. Not to mention the fact that Pacquiao has elections to worry about.

Makes sense. I don't think Floyd wants any part of Shane, though....and he would need the same testing, since Shane HAS taken banned substance before.

Floyd would tear up Berto, however.

Then that still leaves us with no Pac/Floyd fight, and now no one for Manny to really fight in the fall.

harSon

Banned
Timothy Bradley would be an interesting fight, he's not exactly proven but it'd be more interesting than Clotty IMO.

Anduron

Meh Clottey Pacquiao might be ok, but I probably won't buy it. Definitely wont buy Mayweather Hatton or Malignaggi.

Maybe it'll go through in the fall but that just pushes a Mosley fight even further back, what a waste of time.

Hmmm this is interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/322894-teddy-atlas-questions-pacquiaos-blood-test-refusal

The possible bombshell that Atlas dropped was his trusted source has confirmed two e-mails were sent during the fight negotiations from Pacquiao's camp to Mayweather's camp asking two questions. The first was, "What would be the repercussions of a positive test?" The second, "If Manny was to test positive, could it be kept a secret for the sake of boxing?"

alterno69

Banned
Mayweather vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez?
http://www.record.com.mx/tmf/canelo-pelearia-contra-mayweather-jr-18012010.html

2wei6w9.jpg

According to this mexican website Saul"Canelo" Alvarez, a young mexican promise would be the frist in line to fight Floyd in march. I'm Mexican and i fucking love "Canelo" or Cinamon in english, he's a very talented boxer but i'm afraid he's too young to fight someone like Floyd, my heart is pumping just thinking about it, a mix between fear and excitement.

Big News: Berto withdraws from the Mosley fight because of the Haitian earthquake and the toll its taken on him and his family. If Mosley is willing to wait a couple of months he and PBF should set up a fight on March 13 just to fuck over Pacman and his camp. Nobody will be checking for Paq/Clottey if Money/Shane is happening the same day.

harSon

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Big News: Berto withdraws from the Mosley fight because of the Haitian earthquake and the toll its taken on him and his family. If Mosley is willing to wait a couple of months he and PBF should set up a fight on March 13 just to fuck over Pacman and his camp. Nobody will be checking for Paq/Clottey if Money/Shane is happening the same day.

I heard Mayweather/Mosley was in the works for May 1st even before Berto backed out, I'd say it's 100% guaranteed now, which isn't surprising considering Mayweather's relationship with Golden Boy.

oneHeero

Ninja Scooter said:
I'd want to see the Pac fight but I'd buy the Mosley fight. To see Mosley beat dat ass. Since I feel he has a good chance to beat Mayweather as well. I wouldnt pay to see Mayweather fight anyone else besides Pac and Mosley.

Tom_Cody

Fuck yeah, bring it on!

I actually want to see Mosley-Mayweather more than Mayweather-Pacquiao. No way Shane turns down the fight. I will be hugely disappointed if Floyd doesn't follow suit.

Mosley vs Mayweather? Fuck ya. Its not even close to the scale of a Pacman vs Pretty Boy fight but ill take it. Id have to root for Mosley all the way though.

harSon said:
I heard Mayweather/Mosley was in the works for May 1st even before Berto backed out, I'd say it's 100% guaranteed now, which isn't surprising considering Mayweather's relationship with Golden Boy.

Yeah, that's what I heard as well. I'm a lot more interested in this than I am Pac - Clottey. I think Mosley is a bit too old now but he'll still be the best opponent that Mayweather has faced for quite some time, possibly ever.

cthoaa

2ymj2uw.jpg

S. Luevano (c, 37-1-1, 15 KOs) v. J.M. Lopez (27-0-0, 24 KOs) - WBO featherweight title
Y. Gamboa (c, 16-0-0,14 KOs) v. R. Mtagwa (26-13-2, 16 KOs) - WBA featherweight title

HBO's BAD doubleheader meant to showcase Lopez and Gamboa, with hopes of matching them sometime down the line.

I only watched Lopez-Mtagawa recently. It was awesome and a close call for Juanma, but Gamboa should have an easier time. Once he's hit hard or dumped on the mat, he's more likely to tighten his offense, using his speed to zip around and box; Juanma fought too uneven a fight vs. Mtagwa, looking for the KO early on and losing his steam at the end.

It's kind of a slow start for HBO this year. I think in the past, they would have had two cards, maybe a PPV this far into the month.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
^^ Shall be watching. I would like a stream but it's unlikely haha. Haven't followed much this fight, not much of a Juanma fan right now and throwing away $60 after so much $$ lately will kill me.

Relix said:
^^ Shall be watching. I would like a stream but it's unlikely haha. Haven't followed much this fight, not much of a Juanma fan right now and throwing away $60 after so much $$ lately will kill me.

its not PPV

cthoaa

Gamboa's handspeed, upper body movement, and confidence is too much. Lopez will need another tune-up or wonderful sparring to stand a chance. If he starts slow, nothing will matter -- Gamboa floods him.

Esch

Banned
Gamboa is probably going to KO Lopez. I can see Juanma maybe coming back with one of his (very) powerful single shots though. Either way I can't see it ending in a decision.

Looks like it's on!

Shane Mosley, the No. 3-ranked fighter in the Yahoo! Sports ratings, has signed his contract to face Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a welterweight megafight on May 1 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Mosley attorney Judd Burstein said late Friday.

Source

Glad it's finally happening, although I think it's come a bit too late in the day for Mosley. Still, nice to see Mayweather in with a live opponent for a change.

May 1st? Not too far away.

Ive completely lost respect for Pacman and dont feel the same way towards him anymore. I wanted him to fuck PBF up badly but now if they ever fight I hope its the other way around.

cthoaa

J Tourettes said:

From above: "Mosley, who said he unknowingly used two anabolic steroids and EPO prior to a 2003 fight with Oscar De La Hoya in Las Vegas, has agreed to the testing Mayweather requested. Both fighters will be subject to random blood and urine testing which will be administered to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency."

Also, PBF-Mosley will do better PPV numbers than Pacquiao-Clottey. (HBO is expected to announce Mayweather-Mosley 24/7; Pacquiao-Clottey is getting a regular countdown show.)

Provided both fighters win, Golden Boy/Team Mayweather is going to have good leverage at the negotiating table against Top Rank/Pacquiao when those talks start up again.

cthoaa said:
From above: "Mosley, who said he unknowingly used two anabolic steroids and EPO prior to a 2003 fight with Oscar De La Hoya in Las Vegas, has agreed to the testing Mayweather requested. Both fighters will be subject to random blood and urine testing which will be administered to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency."

Also, PBF-Mosley will do better PPV numbers than Pacquiao-Clottey. (HBO is expected to announce Mayweather-Mosley 24/7; Pacquiao-Clottey is getting a regular countdown show.)

Provided both fighters win, Golden Boy/Team Mayweather is going to have good leverage at the negotiating table against Top Rank/Pacquiao when those talks start up again.

so even Mosley has no problem with the blood testing? I don't want to believe Paq is roiding but....

The contract is still waiting for Mayweather's sig. For someone who likes to think of themselves as a 'businessman' he's going to miss a golden promotion opp at the Superbowl unless he gets it signed ASAP.

harSon

Banned
cthoaa said:

Pacquiao's camp did themselves a disservice by pissing off Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotion, pretty much anyone worth fighting is under Golden Boy or are buddy buddy with them.

Ninja Scooter said:
so Pacman takes a glorified tune-up fight, and Floyd fights Shane...and PBF is the one that didn't want to fight?

When Pac signed up to face Clottey, he was the best WW available (not named PBF). Don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusion as to which is the bigger fight but Floyd kind of painted himself into a corner where Mosley was the only fight that would be acceptable.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
J Tourettes said:
When Pac signed up to face Clottey, he was the best WW available (not named PBF). Don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusion as to which is the bigger fight but Floyd kind of painted himself into a corner where Mosley was the only fight that would be acceptable.

I'd rather not turn this back in to a whose fault is it debate again, simply put I'm a bit concerned that Floyd hasn't signed the contact yet.

DarienA said:
I'd rather not turn this back in to a whose fault is it debate again, simply put I'm a bit concerned that Floyd hasn't signed the contact yet.

True enough, I was just pointing out that the fight Pac took when the PBF fight fell apart was pretty much the only worthwhile WW fight he could take at the time.

I'd love to fly out and see Mosley - Mayweather, if it takes place but my disposable income is already accountde for, at least until July anyway :(

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
J Tourettes said:
True enough, I was just pointing out that the fight Pac took when the PBF fight fell apart was pretty much the only worthwhile WW fight he could take at the time.

I'd love to fly out and see Mosley - Mayweather, if it takes place but my disposable income is already accountde for, at least until July anyway :(

Alrighty Golden Boy put out a press release saying Mayweather signed... lets get it on!

We're probably going to go see it even though leaving the arena after the Pacquaio/Cotto fight was a HUGE pain in the ass.

see5harp

I think it's a good fight just to set the record straight once in for all. I just don't see Shane having much of a chance with Floyd. Not because he's too old or washed up, I just think Shane really has much besides his chin and his right hand. No defense aside from clinching. I see this as an easy decision for Floyd.

Just saw the Valero fight on youtube. Kid actually showed remarkable heart in getting through those cuts. Thing is...against a Paquiao at 135, Valero has no chance. I think Pacquiao had much more variety, even when he was an unpolished brawler. Good fight from Valero though. Kid sorta surprised me.

cthoaa

see5harp said:
Just saw the Valero fight on youtube. Kid actually showed remarkable heart in getting through those cuts. Thing is...against a Paquiao at 135, Valero has no chance. I think Pacquiao had much more variety, even when he was an unpolished brawler. Good fight from Valero though. Kid sorta surprised me.
The entire package -- long Rambo-like hair, crazy tattoo on his chest, angelic wife, crude fighting style, and sheer power... guy's a cartoon character!

cthoaa

New demands:

-random drug testing with no deadlines
-more $$$ (shocking!)

“I gave him a chance, up to 14 days out. But my new terms are all the way up to the fight. They can come get us whenever, all the way up to the fight, random drug test. That’s what it is,” Mayweather said to The Grand Rapids Press .

“[If the Mosley pay-per-view does better than Pacquiao-Clottey], instead of 20 or 25 [million dollars], he may have to drop to 15, or 17. And you know me, they may have to throw that extra 5 or 10 on mine, and we can rock and roll. Take it or leave it.”
Maybe they'll keep fighting other guys until their respective PPV buyrates are exactly the same.

EDIT: Re-reading it, Mayweather saying "they can come get us whenever" is pretty tactful.

cthoaa said:
New demands:

-random drug testing with no deadlines
-more $$$ (shocking!)

Maybe they'll keep fighting other guys until their respective PPV buyrates are exactly the same.

EDIT: Re-reading it, Mayweather saying "they can come get us whenever" is pretty tactful.
Wow, Mayweather sure likes that fight money.

Pac's camps are morons. PBF/Shane is gonna do huge numbers (especially compared to Pacman/Clottey) if PBF wins he'll have all the leverage in the world.

see5harp said:
I think it's a good fight just to set the record straight once in for all. I just don't see Shane having much of a chance with Floyd. Not because he's too old or washed up, I just think Shane really has much besides his chin and his right hand. No defense aside from clinching. I see this as an easy decision for Floyd.

Valero has actually got under-rated boxing skills but unfortunately he doesn't have to use them too often against a lot of the cans he's been fighting.

Ninja Scooter said:
Pac's camps are morons. PBF/Shane is gonna do huge numbers (especially compared to Pacman/Clottey) if PBF wins he'll have all the leverage in the world.

Yeah, I'm fully expecting the Mosley - PBF numbers to embarrass the Pac - Clottey numbers.

Top Bottom