• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

BigKaboom2 said:
Pac is clearly the worse for wear, especially after those three brutal uppercuts, but as always everyone orgasms over pointless punch barrages to guys that aren't open for it.

That Clottey defense has me so wet right now

Clottey's a fuckin joke. Why even show up? Any number of stand in sparring partners could have put up a better performance. I can appreciate defensive minded fighters like Hopkins, PBF, Winky Wright, but what Clottey did tonight was not a defensive minded fight because he didn't come to fight.

see5harp

BigKaboom2 said:
Pac is clearly the worse for wear, especially after those three brutal uppercuts, but as always everyone orgasms over pointless punch barrages to guys that aren't open for it.

I agree that this is probably the worst percentage Manny has landed in a long time.

Jackson50

Marvie_3 said:
Clottey barely won one round. :lol
Yes. I thought they would have awarded Clottey two of the earlier rounds when PacMan's punches were being blocked, but the final scores are not surprising.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Pacman again, proved that he's the best fighter on the planet. Clottey couldn't do anything. Seriously, Mayweather won't want any of this. Goddamn, Pacquiao is beastly.

TheCardPlayer said:
Pacman again, proved that he's the best fighter on the planet. Clottey couldn't do anything. Seriously, Mayweather won't want any of this. Goddamn, Pacquiao is beastly.

I don't see how anyone can watch this and decide that Mayweather wouldn't want any. Clottey didn't even try to fight. You might as well have been watching Paq fight a punching bag.

20% connect percentage is ridiculous for the top P4P guy. He's almost certainly just taking advantage of the stupid judges that score based entirely on punches thrown, even though he has the skills to win while still being accurate. Compubox said he landed 246 but I'm pretty sure at least 150 of those were glancing body shots that did minimal damage. He's better than this performance; he's just used to pummeling guys who refuse to keep their hands up.

Marvie_3

Banned
Jackson50 said:
Yes. I thought they would have awarded Clottey two of the earlier rounds when PacMan's punches were being blocked, but the final scores are not surprising.
Well, he won 1 round on 2 judges' cards, so I guess you could say he won two rounds. :lol

TheCardPlayer said:
Clottey wouldn't do anything.
Fixed.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Ninja Scooter said:
I don't see how anyone can watch this and decide that Mayweather wouldn't want any. Clottey didn't even try to fight. You might as well have been watching Paq fight a punching bag.

Clottey is a very good fighter, and he came to fight. But a defensive style against Pacman is just cruising for a beating.

Marvie_3 said:

:lol :lol

TheCardPlayer said:
Clottey is a very good fighter, and he came to fight. But a defensive style against Pacman is just cruising for a beating.

:lol :lol

that wasn't a "defensive style". That was a "i just want to collect a check and not get KO'd" style. Hell he didn't even get a "beating". He just stood there and absorbed shots, with a few of them occasionally landing. Dude looked less beat up than Paq did.

Baby Milo

Ninja Scooter said:
yes im sure may is afraid of someone not being able to get around clottey's defense and hitting nothing all night. worse fighters have done better against clottey.

Ninja Scooter said:

Apparently you don't know anything about boxing. When you have a relentless power puncher pounding on your ribcage non-stop (especially in the opening rounds) you tend not to fight back because your ribcage is on fire.

Body shots demoralize fighters and make them go turtle, nothing new here.

Pac vs Mosely would be a fantastic fight. Shane will come to fight.

Complete turd of a fight from Clottey. I thought he was feeling it out a bit at first, but that was horrible. Off to ESPN2 with you Clottey!

huacst21 said:
Apparently you don't know anything about boxing. When you have a relentless power puncher pounding on your ribcage non-stop (especially in the opening rounds) you tend not to fight back because your ribcage is on fire.

there is a big difference between what Clottey was doing and what somebody like PBF or Hopkins does. Thats what I am trying to say. I don't see how anyone can watch Clottey shit it up out there and draw any conclusions on a potential Floyd/Manny fight from that.

harSon

Banned
Probably one of the worst fights I've seen in quite a while.

Clottey has been running on idle since the second half of the Cotto fight. All of those fist pounds and hugs in between rounds was ridiculous, I wouldn't be surprised if he has Pacquiao posters around his room. And the announcers... I'm pretty sure everyone but Steward wanted to jump in the ring and give Pacquiao a blowjob, the amount of slurping taking place for such a horrific fight was ridiculous.

Having said that, I came away from the fight 100% confident that Mayweather would beat him. While Pacquiao's fight with Clottey was one sided, he was basically unable to touch him. The openings for Clottey were there on a consistent basis, but he was reluctant to take a swing at his idol and isn't fast enough to put together anything more then 1-2 punches without getting hit. Mayweather is the best defensive boxer in the sport and his speed is unmatched, it's a bad match up for Pacquiao imo.

Mobius 1

huacst21 said:

This. Whatever Clottey had in store for this (which probably wasn't much to begin with) was put to rest when Pac fired bodyshots like a demon. The man is legend.

see5harp

BigKaboom2 said:
20% connect percentage is ridiculous for the top P4P guy. He's almost certainly just taking advantage of the stupid judges that score based entirely on punches thrown, even though he has the skills to win while still being accurate. Compubox said he landed 246 but I'm pretty sure at least 150 of those were glancing body shots that did minimal damage. He's better than this performance; he's just used to pummeling guys who refuse to keep their hands up.

I think that says more about Clottey's fight plan than Manny's. If Clottey put his hands down and decided to trade it would be over. If you are making the argument that Manny has only faced tin cans, I'd only give you David Diaz. Pacquiao blocked a ton of Clottey's punches in the 2nd half aside from a few very good uppercut flurries. At what point do you say that the 100 or so body punches (even if glancing) had an effect on Clottey's offensive output? Pacquiao may not be the P4P, but he's going to have to lose big for me to not consider him a candidate at the very least.

Ninja Scooter said:
there is a big difference between what Clottey was doing and what somebody like PBF or Hopkins does. Thats what I am trying to say. I don't see how anyone can watch Clottey shit it up out there and draw any conclusions on a potential Floyd/Manny fight from that.

Well Manny had to fight somebody to keep him from getting ring rusty.

see5harp

Baby Milo said:
yes im sure may is afraid of someone not being able to get around clottey's defense and hitting nothing all night. worse fighters have done better against clottey.

Clottey actually traded with his other opponents though. I do agree than Manny isn't the fastest puncher. I think Clottey and Mayweather punch faster from a standing position. I do, however, think that Manny is a good puncher while moving and from insane positions. People do not let your opinion of fans cloud your judgement of a fighter. If Jim Lampley dick sucking gets on your nerves watch the fight on mute.

see5harp said:
I think that says more about Clottey's fight plan than Manny's. If Clottey put his hands down and decided to trade it would be over. If you are making the argument that Manny has only faced tin cans, I'd only give you David Diaz. Pacquiao blocked a ton of Clottey's punches in the 2nd half aside from a few very good uppercut flurries. At what point do you say that the 100 or so body punches (even if glancing) had an effect on Clottey's offensive output? Pacquiao may not be the P4P, but he's going to have to lose big for me to not consider him a candidate at the very least.

Bingo, finally some real boxing fans here at GAF. Clottey knew if he decided to trade, he would have been KTFO.

Manny even tried to let Clottey trade with him but the man didn't want to. So he turtled and accepted his defeat from the get go from the opening rounds.

Ninja Scooter said:
True, and im not criticizing Manny. He fought a great fight and did what he could against a guy that did not want to fight back.

Clottey was a negative fighter in this fight, no doubt about it but you can attribute that to the hellacious body shots he absorbed from Manny.

Just because a guy doesn't show he's hurt, it doesn't mean he isn't. :lol

see5harp said:
I'm saying Manny intentionally throws flurries that he knows won't land, because he knows the judges will ooh and ahh no matter what. He's perfectly capable of fighting a normal fight where he exploits actual openings instead of just teeing off on the other guy's guard, but he hasn't had to do that since the last JMM fight. Diaz, De La Hoya, Hatton, and Cotto were/are not nearly skilled enough defensively to deal with his barrages, and it's kind of silly that he had no need to try to adapt to Clottey's stellar defense because of the aforementioned judges giving him round after round as his connect percentage plummets further and further.

EDIT: And as said above, anyone who thinks Clottey should have thrown ~1000 punches ("coming to fight") needs to watch some old Pacquiao fights.

see5harp

Usually Manny takes the first round or two to get settled and feel his opponent out. Rounds 1 and 2 were ok to me....at that point I was okay with Clottey shelling up to get his timing down. I think his trainer told him to get active around the midpoint. It does seem like he just didn't want to endure any punishment upstairs. I don't think he took any punishment to the head aside from glancing blows. If you like counter punchers that don't take punishment, then Mayweather is your guy. Manny is a output power puncher that for whatever reason seems to enjoy getting hit...if that's your thing then that's your thing.

Norante said:
This. Whatever Clottey had in store for this (which probably wasn't much to begin with) was put to rest when Pac fired bodyshots like a demon. The man is legend.

Pac did the smartest thing you can do when someone is physically bigger than you, pound on the body and keep pounding.

On top of that, he has power to go with it. I'm sure Clottey is feeling it right now and will tomorrow morning as well.

see5harp

BigKaboom2 said:
I'm saying Manny intentionally throws flurries that he knows won't land, because he knows the judges will ooh and ahh no matter what. He's perfectly capable of fighting a normal fight where he exploits actual openings instead of just teeing off on the other guy's guard, but he hasn't had to do that since the last JMM fight. Diaz, De La Hoya, Hatton, and Cotto were/are not nearly skilled enough defensively to deal with his barrages, and it's kind of silly that he had no need to try to adapt to Clottey's stellar defense because of the aforementioned judges giving him round after round as his connect percentage plummets further and further.

EDIT: And as said above, anyone who thinks Clottey should have thrown ~1000 punches ("coming to fight") needs to watch some old Pacquiao fights.

Ring generalship is part of the judging. If Pacquiao didn't throw 100 punches a round, he wouldn't be Pacquiao. Connect percentage isn't even part of the judging man. Clean effective punching is worth something, but not when you aren't hurting your opponent or controlling the fight. High punch output, regardless of connect percentage, is part of Pacquiao's game. Why do you think Clottey was so defensive the entire fight?

Pacquiao has a great chance of beating Mayweather. DeMarcus Corley and Zab Judah are less than stellar but unorthodox fighters who connected well on Mayweather (Corley hurt him fairly badly and Judah knocked him down) and Jose Luis Castillo downright beat him with pressure in their first encounter. Pacquiao has speed, he has power, he has an extremely unorthodox style and he pressures the fuck out of everyone he faces.

If Mayweather wins it will be an incredibly dull fight. He'll need to potshot and literally run away, being even more negative than usual, single shots all the way. If Pacquiao is able to pressure him into doing the rope thing he's going to get caught badly - certainly, he wouldn't be given the opportunity to recover that he was against the mediocre Corley.

see5harp said:
Ring generalship is part of the judging. If Pacquiao didn't throw 100 punches a round, he wouldn't be Pacquiao. Connect percentage isn't even part of the judging man. Clean effective punching is worth something, but not when you aren't hurting your opponent or controlling the fight. High punch output, regardless of connect percentage, is part of Pacquiao's game. Why do you think Clottey was so defensive the entire fight?
He threw 619 against JMM the second time and 694 against Barrera before that. It's a fairly recent development. Getting 80+ percent of your punches blocked is not part of ring generalship. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't do it, I'm arguing that the judges shouldn't reward him for it.

see5harp

BigKaboom2 said:
He threw 619 against JMM the second time and 694 against Barrera before that. It's a fairly recent development. Getting 80+ percent of your punches blocked is not part of ring generalship. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't do it, I'm arguing that the judges shouldn't reward him for it.

So you think that Clottey won the fight (or more than a few rounds at most)? Come on man, there's a difference between liking a fighter's style and reality. I didn't even look at the punch stats, but its pretty obvious after watching the fight that Pacquiao landed more punches total. It doesn't matter whether he threw 3 times as many punches total.

Top Bottom