• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

No, Clottey didn't win - but it was fairly close. Clottey landed all the most damaging punches and was never even close to getting rocked, but he didn't land enough to take very many rounds, mostly because Pacquiao was wasting so much time on long flurries of blocked punches. Clottey trying to counter punch those flurries would have gotten him killed though - surely Lampley realizes this but boy, you wouldn't know it from listening to him.

see5harp

That was a close fight? Clottey won maybe 2 rounds...he was taking leather to the ribs. It wasn't the best Pac man I've ever seen. I would have liked to see some uppercuts through the guard to open it up a bit, but I still don't think it was a close match. Even if you are a heavyweight, you cannot win a fight 1 or 2 punches at a time. Clottey did land some clean shots...no one is saying that Pacquiao is a defensive mastermind. I still don't see the match being close....Pacquiao was marked up but to say he was hurt is sorta ridiculous.

At this point, Clottey is done as a contender. He's not good enough to beat any of the elite fighters out there. He can beat Paulie, Zab Judah, maybe Margarito and Cotto.

talisayNon said:
Wow did I seriously just waste my night for that? Absolute piss.
Yup... But hey at least "piss" is good for something.
16m57jn.jpg

see5harp said:
That was a close fight? Clottey won maybe 2 rounds...
It was close because Pacquiao was landing a lot of ineffective punches and Clottey was landing very few somewhat-effective punches. Same story as Hopkins-Taylor I. Even if it's 120-108 it can still be a close fight...doesn't guarantee that every round was a blowout win.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Floyd UD over Pacquiao and it became more obvious today.

Manny landed 245 of 1231 punches tonight. That is under 20% and Floyd isn't going to just stand there. If Clottey can hit Manny at will, we damn sure know that Floyd will. Floyd will keep making Manny reset to punch and Floyd will be there to counter all day long.

I never want to see Clottey in action again after that performance. I didn't give him a round. Yes Pac hit a lot of arm and glove but he also landed a fair few body shots.

I would've rather watched Pac on the mitts for 12 rounds.

Now, on to Mayweather - Mosley and then Mitchell - Katsidis (which I'm going to). May should be a good month.

I can't believe people are acting like Pacquiao last night was any different than Pacquiao in the latter part of his career. He was the same again JMM, Cotto, Hatton, DLH, etc: throwing mad amounts of punches and getting tagged

Yeah Pacman was hitting gloves and elbows, but that's because Clottey shelled up the WHOLE fight. He was hitting Pacquiao, but again this has happened for at least his past 10 fights, he gets hit and it doesn't affect him. The thing about when I and other boxing pundits watch Pacquiao, the one thing that always comes up is his ability to throw unorthodox punches. Punches from counters, from the side, moving to the right with a left straight etc. He was getting hit by a bigger man and he just walked it off, and you think PBF will do more sustainable damage to Manny??

I'm sooo hyped to see Pac vs PBF, if it does happen as I believe you'll see Pacquiao become and all time great when he beats PBF

Agent Icebeezy said:
Floyd UD over Pacquiao and it became more obvious today.

Manny landed 245 of 1231 punches tonight. That is under 20% and Floyd isn't going to just stand there. If Clottey can hit Manny at will, we damn sure know that Floyd will. Floyd will keep making Manny reset to punch and Floyd will be there to counter all day long.

It's really a very different type of fight. You can make a case for both men, but it's interesting to me that Pacquiao brings everything Mayweather has struggled with in the past. In some respects he's actually easier to hit clean than Clottey (although he won't be hit nearly as often because he has more to his defensive game than simply turtling), and that's not because he isn't infinitely more talented but simply that he despite employing a defensive style, he's not usually a negative fighter. I think that would have to be extremely negative to beat Pacquiao though. If he gets caught as much as he did against De La Hoya or even Hatton, forget about it. Pacquiao isn't going to offer the reprieve that Corley did when he had Mayweather hurt.

harSon

Banned
TheDrowningMan said:
It's really a very different type of fight. You can make a case for both men, but it's interesting to me that Pacquiao brings everything Mayweather has struggled with in the past. He's actually easier to hit than Clottey, and that's not because he isn't infinitely more talented but simply that he despite employing a defensive style, he's not usually a negative fighter. I think that would have to be extremely negative to beat Pacquiao though. If he gets caught as much as he did against De La Hoya or even Hatton, forget about it. Pacquiao isn't going to offer the reprieve that Corley did when he had Mayweather hurt.

Mayweather brings everything Pacquiao has struggled with (quick, defensive counter-punchers), except Mayweather is significantly faster than Pacquiao and has a defense that is unrivaled in boxing. It's honestly going to be one sided and rather boring, like most of Mayweather's fights... he's just that good. Mayweather will simply grasp Pacquiao when he attempts to make it an infight, like he did with De La Hoya, dodge most of Pacquiao's other punches and tear him up from the outside.

The dude's speed is seriously unmatched, Pacquiao is quick but Mayweather is abnormally fast and intuitive to boot:
aonvv8.jpg

Realtime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9en6g9JTQ&feature=player_embedded#t=00m32s

http://i34.tinypic.com/33or439.jpg

How many people can counter a jab like this last minute?
28ivp85.gif

http://i38.tinypic.com/23vl4iv.jpg

Mecha_Infantry said:
Yeah Pacman was hitting gloves and elbows, but that's because Clottey shelled up the WHOLE fight.
Or Clottey shelled up because Pacquiao was throwing nonstop pointless combos instead of waiting for openings.

see5harp

There's probably little chance Floyd would ever open himself up for a clean punch for the entire 12 rounds vs. Pacquiao. He's much better than Clottey at actually avoiding punches and I don't think I've ever seen him hurt at the body. I still think that's the most entertaining fight that Floyd has in his future though. Pacquiao will take some of his harder shots and return with punches. I think Pacquiao is also one of the only guys that will test Mayweather's discipline going into round 12 because of his stamina.

Sugar Shane isn't going to last 5 rounds before he's shooting in with punches and going directly into clinch. That's not an easy fight because Shane has a great chin and decent power when he decides to throw...but it's hard to imagine that fight being less than one sided.

harSon

Banned
see5harp said:
There's probably little chance Floyd would ever open himself up for a clean punch for the entire 12 rounds vs. Pacquiao. He's much better than Clottey at actually avoiding punches and I don't think I've ever seen him hurt at the body. I still think that's the most entertaining fight that Floyd has in his future though. Pacquiao will take some of his harder shots and return with punches. I think Pacquiao is also one of the only guys that will test Mayweather's discipline going into round 12 because of his stamina.

Sugar Shane isn't going to last 5 rounds before he's shooting in with punches and going directly into clinch. That's not an easy fight because Shane has a great chin and decent power when he decides to throw...but it's hard to imagine that fight being less than one sided.

That's one of Mayweather's best qualities as a boxer, he never deviates from his game plan.

Agent Icebeezy

harSon said:
That's one of Mayweather's best qualities as a boxer, he never deviates from his game plan.

That and an effective jab would put all of Manny's swinging on hold. FLoyd sticks to the script, always.

see5harp

BigKaboom2 said:
Or Clottey shelled up because Pacquiao was throwing nonstop pointless combos instead of waiting for openings.

I'm still finding it incredibly amusing that you are somehow trying to blame a boring fight on Pacquiao. He followed the script perfectly. Maintain output and keep up the pressure. Clottey may have been waiting for Manny to tire, but he certainly wasn't capitalizing on mistakes or counter punching at all.

I don't understand what some of you are implying Pacquiao should've done. If he let up the pressure, Clottey might've gotten in the fight. It's a sport, and a combat sport at that: you always take a bird in the hand over however many in the bush. If what you're doing is winning you the rounds, you keep at it -- don't change before the opponent does. That's an important guideline.

And of course Clottey's going to catch him with two or three shots. Let's say in a basketball game, one team is only going for 3s and missing most of them, while the other team is comfortably winning. If six or seven times during the game the losing team decides to drive, they'll most likely get through, as the winning team is not focused on the minority play. Winning on the overall strategy is well worth taking that couple of hits.

Both Mayweather and Pacquiao are too skilled for anyone to use previous fights as an illustration of what will happen. They will both adapt to each other and the fight will probably have a few up and downs. Some forget that Manny is a great counter-puncher as well, but his last opponents were too soft to require counter-punching.

just started boxing myself (37). fuck.. it's pretty intensive and hard. But i really like it.
Did some kickboxing nd thaiboxing years ago, but this is something else. i suck at it to.
I have a lot to learn.

Just saw it. After this fight, I'm also even more inclined to pick Floyd.

Pacs defense is probably the only thing that hasn't improved for him over the years and that will be costly against Mayweather. I don't see any reason for Floyd not to make a bobble head out of him. Angles and aggression by themselves aren't going to work against Floyds style.

In fact, I think that Pacs work rate is going to end up bringing out the best in Floyd. He's not going to cower in a cage like Clottey. I'm picturing many an encounter like this : Floyd is up against the ropes doing his shoulder roll defense, Pac throwing flurries and combos, the crowd is amped up but very few punches landing....except the short rights that Floyd throws that seem to come out of nowhere.

Later on in the fight, Floyd starts throwing straight rights and left hooks. By round 10, you would think that he is just landing at will. by round 11 we will all be questioning whether or not he will go for the knockout.

harSon

Banned
I don't know why people bring up Pacquiao's work ethic when talking about a potential bout with Mayweather, endurance is going to have little to do with the outcome of the fight, both boxers are fitness freaks who look the same in the 12th round as they did at the opening bell.

harSon said:
I don't know why people bring up Pacquiao's work ethic when talking about a potential bout with Mayweather, endurance is going to have little to do with the outcome of the fight, both boxers are fitness freaks who look the same in the 12th round as they did at the opening bell.

I don't know if you were referring to me or not but for the record when I said "work rate" I'm not talking about endurance, I'm talking about the fact that he is an active fighter with a high punch output.

I don't expect them to get tired either. I do expect Pacman to bode Floyd into letting his hands go more often and that this won't be in his favor.

I think that many picking Pacquiao seem to have this idea that Mayweather isn't really all that tough, he just needs to be swarmed or something. He can let his hands go when necessary, and I think that we will all see this IF they fight. And I'm confidant that they will now, I'm starting to think that both sides maybe just didn't want it enough in March. They will both eventually want it enough to do whatever it takes to make it happen! Or maybe it's just wishful thinking, I dunno, well see.

Agent Icebeezy

Written by Rey Colon, Special Envoy Sunday March 14,

TEXAS - More than defeated, the Puerto Rican coach Lenny De Jesus face reflected frustration that Joshua Clottey did not meet the agreed plans to face Manny Pacquiao, he strictly got imited to remain upright for 12 rounds and so to show up Freddie Roach.

He had no balls, in spanish, No te tuvo los cojones, De jesus said. The training that was given was terrific but changed when Pacquiao began to throw lots of punches. He was honest with me and said 'Lenny I didnt wanted to give Roach the satisfaction of Pacquiao stopping me in the fight. I wanted to last the 12 rounds. "That's what he told me later in the clubhouse. I would have liked to have taken this fight to Wilfredo Gómez to teach Clottey how a real man fight. Gomez was a real man," revealed the Ponceño trainer.

Between rounds, De Jesus was trying to convince Clottey to be more aggressive but the African refused to follow those instructions and has apparently opted to make his own game plan.

"I told him he had to throw more punches, be creative and open up a bit to throw his own. But you saw, got stuck. No shot. He lost all the rounds. He wanted to last the 12 rounds. I could not put to fight for it. And he did not heed what he explained. He knew and I said it, did not want to open the guard. He threw two or three right uppercuts and not let go. The left stagnant, "he said.

The 160 pounds that Clottey weighted in the fight did not affect him or his performance.

"No, that was no factor. This weight is perfect. Maybe he got into his mind or which was to last twelve rounds to not give the satisfaction to Roach. I wasnt with that mentality. He didnt want to take the chance because most WW's have big power. The little man won, the big one didnt do what was expected.

De Jesus said that following the fight and above the ring, Pacquiao admitted that he came to feel the force of Clottey.

"Manny came up to me and said, Lenny, he hit me several times. He thanked me and I him and I think I will be given the opportunity to work with him. I told him in the ring. I will consider for the next fight, "settlement.

http://www.vocero.com/index.php?opt...-tuvo-los-pantalones&catid=28:boxeo&Itemid=24

Self proclaimed pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr., 33, watched on as Manny Pacquiao blasted his outmatch opponent from the opening bell, Mayweather however maintains that he was not impressed with the performance and claims that despite losing, Joshua Clottey ‘exposed’ the Filipino superstar.

“Personally, I think Pacquiao got exposed in that fight for being one-dimensional. You can have all [the] offence ability in the world but with no defense you’re not going to last long against a good counter puncher such as myself. Look at the way Clottey was getting through, each time he threw something it landed. Then at the end Pacquiao’s was all busted up, when’s the last time you’ve seen my face all messed up like that? That’s the difference between an amateur and a true pound for pound boxer.”

“I think Pacquiao gave the fans a boring fight, he was punching his arms for all 12 rounds. At least when you watch Floyd Mayweather you know you’ll be seeing non-stop action for 30 minutes straight and that’s what you’ll see on May 1st . “

While 51,000 people were in attendance in the Texas stadium, Mayweather claims this number is abysmal compared to the attendance number he would have set.

“The attendance numbers ain’t nothing compared to what I have drawn in the past or what I would have drawn if that was me in the ring that night, everybody knows that. Half those seats were empty in the back and people say Pacquiao is a draw? Let’s not forget who generated a revenue of 2.5 million dollars in one fight alone. The only reason why he's popular is because he's an ethnic minorty and from the Philippines so it's something special. If he was from Africa he would be just another boxer.”

Initially the boxing mega fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao seemed a go for March 13th until the Mayweather camp insisted of Olympic-style drug testing which Pacquiao was not willing to undergo.

“The thing is I am just looking out for the good of the sport, everyone should compete on a fair level but he [Pacquiao ] doesn’t want that. I’m not going to say what he is or isn’t on but lets just say that HGH is one hell of a drug. All roads lead to Floyd Mayweather, we all know that. If he wants to fight me, he doesn’t have to look far. Just look for the biggest mansion in Vegas and that’s me. The matter of the fact is I put the offer on the table and he declined ain’t no two ways about it, he doesn’t want anything to do with a true pound for pound fighter. Once I get [Shane] Mosley out the way then we’ll see what Pacquiao has to say until then I don’t want to hear about him or nothing.”

http://www.cagereport.net/Floyd-Mayweather-I-think-Pacquiao-got-exposed-in-that-fight.html

Damn shame that Clottey was more worried about not getting knocked out.

LOL @ that Mayweather interview.

You can't deny that if Floyd beats Mosley, he is going to have a slight upper hand in the bargaining next time.

harSon

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
“Personally, I think Pacquiao got exposed in that fight for being one-dimensional. You can have all [the] offence ability in the world but with no defense you’re not going to last long against a good counter puncher such as myself. Look at the way Clottey was getting through, each time he threw something it landed. Then at the end Pacquiao’s was all busted up, when’s the last time you’ve seen my face all messed up like that? That’s the difference between an amateur and a true pound for pound boxer.”

That's how I felt about the fight. Mayweather is going to be able to touch Pacquiao a hell of a lot more than Pacquiao is going to be able to touch Mayweather, that's why I think it's going to be one sided. He'll tear him up from the outside and clinch when Pacquiao tries to make it an in fight.

Liara T'Soni said:
I don't know if you were referring to me or not but for the record when I said "work rate" I'm not talking about endurance, I'm talking about the fact that he is an active fighter with a high punch output.

I don't expect them to get tired either. I do expect Pacman to bode Floyd into letting his hands go more often and that this won't be in his favor.

I think that many picking Pacquiao seem to have this idea that Mayweather isn't really all that tough, he just needs to be swarmed or something. He can let his hands go when necessary, and I think that we will all see this IF they fight. And I'm confidant that they will now, I'm starting to think that both sides maybe just didn't want it enough in March. They will both eventually want it enough to do whatever it takes to make it happen! Or maybe it's just wishful thinking, I dunno, well see.

Not you specifically, just in general.

Luscious LeftFoot said:
At least when you watch Floyd Mayweather you know you’ll be seeing non-stop action for 30 minutes straight . “

I'm a PBF fan, but... :lol

Are you surprised?

He plays the heel perfectly. Mayweather is amazing.

thirty

Banned
Pac's defense isn't impressive because dude simply likes to get hit sometimes. He'll take his opponent's best shots just to show that he can't get hurt. It's a strategy to break his opponent down mentaly. PBF however won't go out to hurt Pac, he's out to outpoint him so Pac better improve his defense for PBF.

Agent Icebeezy

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...y-golden-boy-tout-their-drugtesting-plan.html

The head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, Travis Tygart, participated in the call and detailed that Mayweather and Mosley will be subject to random urine and/or blood tests from now "until and after the fight." A positive test, Tygart said, would leave the boxer suspended from the sport for two years, a condition he said both fighters have agreed to.

cthoaa

Agent Icebeezy said:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...y-golden-boy-tout-their-drugtesting-plan.html

The head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, Travis Tygart, participated in the call and detailed that Mayweather and Mosley will be subject to random urine and/or blood tests from now "until and after the fight." A positive test, Tygart said, would leave the boxer suspended from the sport for two years, a condition he said both fighters have agreed to.
This is good, but there were quotes from Keith Kizer saying that USADA doesn't have any jurisdiction over the Nevada state commission and that the proposed penalty won't necessarily be recognized, which is pretty weak.

Still, it would be the basically the dumbest thing ever if either guy tried to get away with something.

Also from the article:
Tygart declined to answer what he thought of Pacquiao's stance, explaining generally that, "If you're clean, you have no problem being in this program. We see thousands of athletes involved in this program. Why should any athlete be forced to compromise his safety?"

Golden Boy's Schaefer added, "This is not about hitting a baseball or cycling up a hill. It's two guys hitting each other in the head. How could we not be for it?"
Absolutely right. But Golden Boy Promotions and esp. Schaefer shouldn't pat themselves on the back too hard.

As mentioned in the comments, they balked when Zab approached them with the idea for additional testing for his scheduled fight with Shane.

cthoaa

1432h0.jpg

Official weights: Klitschko 244, Chambers 209.

There's no tv for this in the North America; HBO, Showtime, ESPN and Versus all passed. The card will be available via streaming video on klitschko.com for $14.95.

cthoaa said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/1432h0.jpg[/IMG

Official weights: Klitschko 244, Chambers 209.

There's no tv for this in the North America; HBO, Showtime, ESPN and Versus all passed. The card will be available via streaming video on [URL="http://klitschko.com/"]klitschko.com[/URL] for $14.95.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch another Wladimir jabfest.

Man, I hate heavyweight fights where one guy's 30 pounds heavier and a foot taller. This was over before it started; every time Chambers get inside he eats three rapid fire jabs. Hopefully they'll put him against Povetkin or Haye next.

Watching the two boring heavyweight brothers makes me appreciate when lewis was atop the boxing world. those days are long gone, and boxing is not that far behind.

BakedPigeon said:
Watching the two boring heavyweight brothers makes me appreciate when lewis was atop the boxing world. those days are long gone, and boxing is not that far behind.

Lewis was just as frustrating as the Bros. Actually, Lewis was even more so, in my opinion.

Wlad is going to be boring as shit no matter what. Lennox would look awesome then go 2 or three fights of sleep inducing crappyness, then look awesome again. I can't remember the last time Wlad didn't try to cure the world of insomnia for 7 - 10 rounds before koing a guy he could have koed 45 minutes earlier.

BakedPigeon said:

Lewis is still criminally under-rated by some. I hope to fuck Haye finally gets in the ring with Wladimir and knocks him the fuck out.

I'm confident of the first, not so confident on the second. One thing for sure is that he'll go in to win rather than just survive.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Lewis was just as frustrating as the Bros. Actually, Lewis was even more so, in my opinion.

Wlad is going to be boring as shit no matter what. Lennox would look awesome then go 2 or three fights of sleep inducing crappyness, then look awesome again. I can't remember the last time Wlad didn't try to cure the world of insomnia for 7 - 10 rounds before koing a guy he could have koed 45 minutes earlier.

I used to think that but after watching his career collection a few years back I revised my opinion.

cthoaa

513itz.jpg

Super Six continues tomorrow on Showtime with Abraham vs. Dirrell. After a postponement, this fight was moved out of California to Detroit's Joe Louis Arena.

HBO's BAD counters with a Golden Boy card headlined by Marcos Maidana's mandatory defense against undefeated Victor Cayo. Funeka-Guzman II is tentatively scheduled as the co-feature. Whether or not it goes forward depends on Guzman making a same-day weigh-in of 150. (He missed the lightweight limit at today's weigh-in, coming in 9 pounds over at 144 pounds.)

cthoaa

Yah, it's going forward. Hope the judging is better this time around.
Weights Part 2: Joan Guzman 148.2, Ali Funeka 143.2

Earlier this morning, the fighters weighed in for a second time in the last 24-hours, and after several stumbling blocks - BoxingScene.com was advised by both sides that we have a fight. Later tonight at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas, Ali Funeka (30-2-3, 25 KOs) and Joan Guzman (29-0-1, 17 KOs) will do battle in a rematch for the vacant IBF lightweight title. Early this morning, Guzman weighed in at 148.2-pounds and Funeka was 143.2.

Friday's weigh-in was a near disaster for Funeka. He made the division limit at 135-pounds, but Guzman, unbelievably, weighed in at 144-pounds - nearly two divisions above the contracted weight. Promoter Gary Shaw [for Funeka] and Golden Boy Promotions [for Guzman] reached an agreement to allow both fighters to weigh in on Saturday morning with Guzman being limited to 150-pounds at most, and Funeka having to weigh no more than 145.

Guzman will be penalized by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for his inability to make weight [said to be 25% of his purse]. Funeka will receive between $20-25,000 additional for moving forward with the contest. The title is only on the line for Funeka. If Guzman wins, the title remains vacant.
EDIT: Unless it was already in the contract, the same-day weight restriction of 145 on Funeka is dumb. Even if it was there, it should have been waived.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Very impressive display by Dirrell so far. Yeah Abraham was off balance but he ran for the rest of that round and the end of the next round. Dirrell sticks to his gameplay and he might pull of a win here.

Jackson50

Yeah, an obvious late hit by Abraham. I am glad that Durrell seemed to be okay, although he still seemed incoherent during the interview.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Jackson50 said:
Yeah, an obvious late hit by Abraham. I am glad that Durrell seemed to be okay, although he still seemed incoherent during the interview.

Abraham just called him a good actor... WTF... man... I couldn't see I didn't realize he was done.

Dood you're full of shit.

Abraham : He's a good actor, not a good boxer.

What a piece of shit. Complaining the whole fight about low blows that aren't low blows, hitting a fighter when he is down and unprotected (And for the record, that was NOT a knockdown, Abraham missed, Dirrell slipped, Abraham threw a cheap shot), and than doesn't even have the decency to give the man his props. Fuck Abraham.

Those are the kinds of punches that can change a fighter forever, and in a fight where Dirrell didn't really take a lot of damage, that leaves even more of a sour taste in my mouth.

Dirrell didn't know what the fuck was going on in the post-fight interview, he probably doesn't even feel like a winner after that. Hope he watches the tape and see's how good he fought.

Jesus Christ that was a blatant foul. Horrible.

Dirrell looked great for most of the fight. Abraham seemed to be getting closer in that last round.

The doctor is worried about about bleeding on his brain....jesus, wtf.......

Top Bottom