• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I did not give Dirrell much of a chance but he fought a beautiful fight moved, used his jab, wend to the body, countered, actually hurt Abraham, I'm very impressed.

I need to see more footage of the punch on the ground but I'm not entirely convinced that Dirrell didn't make a meal out of it. It looked like it barely grazed him to me.

Irrespective of that, Abraham should've been disqualified

cthoaa

16bftq1.gif
13yhrvt.gif

I think if Dirrell is still in "fight mode", he takes that punch. But it looks like he's already moving his weight and right glove to canvas to steady himself and posture upwards. And then Abraham just turns his head.

I think Dirrell also slipped in Abraham's corner earlier. Combination of the advertisement + water.

cthoaa said:
http://i42.tinypic.com/16bftq1.gif[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/13yhrvt.gif

I think if Dirrell is still in "fight mode", he takes that punch. But it looks like he's already moving his weight and right glove to canvas to steady himself and posture upwards. And then Abraham just turns his head.

I think Dirrell also slipped in Abraham's corner earlier. Combination of the advertisement + water.[/QUOTE]

Seeing those reinforces my opinion a bit. If it was a temple shot, I could understand. Dirrell was winning by a landslide on my card but he did look panicked for the last couple of rounds.

I'm still not convinced by his mentality, whether he's mentally strong enough to be mix it with the big boys.

He's got extremely fast reflexes and seems to box very well but he just seems to lose it easily.

I've watched the highlights, and AA definitely was out of order with the late blow - however, I'm dissapointed with Dirrell playacting - the punch barely caught him, and he hesitated for a 2nd then decided to go down.

I think Dirrell pussyied out of going the whole fight - Arthur would have been deducted for the late blow, but IMO Abraham was capable of getting the KO in the last 2 round - he had Dirrell on wobbly-street for most of round 10.

It's a shame because after the Froch fight, it really looked like Dirrell was going to rip up his 'pussy' reputation.

Anyway, onwards to Kessler vs Froch. :D

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Direll acted. He was shaking in the ring and acted like he thought he lost. Confused, my ass, Gary Shaw just confirmed he was tested at the local hospital, and he's completely fine. No concussion, nothing.

He wouldn't be, if he was actually knocked out silly.

On the other hand, Abraham got schooled pretty badly and acted like an ass, so he deserves the loss anyway.

TheCardPlayer said:
Direll acted. He was shaking in the ring and acted like he thought he lost. Confused, my ass, Gary Shaw just confirmed he was tested at the local hospital, and he's completely fine. No concussion, nothing.

He wouldn't be, if he was actually knocked out silly.

On the other hand, Abraham got schooled pretty badly and acted like an ass, so he deserves the loss anyway.

Where/when did Shaw say that? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks.

I just watched the fight... How the hell could anyone at the arena believe that bullshit? It was not believable at all. Pathetic.

Dirrell would have won on points anyway, but he still had to pull something like that. I wish he had been knocked the fuck out.

The DQ wasn't wrong, but Abraham sure as hell didn't hurt Dirrell with that punch.

Just watched the Maidana - Cayo fight. No wonder team Khan & GBP are keeping him away from Khan. One Maidana bomb on Khan's china chin and it's all over, I bet they're disappointed that Cayo didn't win.

Just watched the Haye fight, have to say, for all his bravado, Haye delivered the goods tonight - he was outstanding; Ruiz down 4 times, and his corner threw the towel in in round 9 - quite rightly, he was taking some serious punishment.

Haye caught Ruiz with some bombs that I think would have had either Klitschko on the wobbles; whether Haye would get through their jabs is another question of course.

Credit to Ruiz, he is one hardy man and can take a punch!

For all the bad press the fight was getting, it was a great fight - a bit one-sided, but Haye was spactacular, and is showing a great range of shots and angles.

I wouldn't go so far as saying haye looked spectacular. His stamina was suspect again IMO but if there were any doubts about his punch at heavyweight I think they've now been answered.

There were also a fair few rabbit punches thrown into the mix (although I don't think the one he was penalised for actually connected) but he had Ruiz's number despite that. I don't think he was being dirty (he never really has been before) but more over-excited and eager to put on a show.

If he had hit Wlad with some of thpse punches tonight, it would've been lights out but first of all he would've had to get inside Wlad's jab which is easier said than done.

Hopkins-RJJ is a mess. Hopkins went down for like five minutes from a weak rabbit punch, then got up and started unloading on Jones until 10 seconds after the bell. :lol

TheCardPlayer

If Hopkins was a Robot Master, he'd be Grab Man. What the hell? Close fight. Hopkins should have been penalized for the shitty acting and all the fucking grabbing that went on.

By all accounts I'm glad I didnt stay up late to see the borefest that was BHOP against RJJ.

I wouldn't go so far as saying haye looked spectacular. His stamina was suspect again IMO but if there were any doubts about his punch at heavyweight I think they've now been answered.

Overall I'd agree, I would probably qualify and say that his shot selection and angles were spectacular, however his defence and stamina are still questionable.

Power questions have definitely been answered, definitely - the big question is whether his speed and angles and movement are enough to get through Wlad's jab - Wlad is a much more complete fighter these days than the one that was put on silly-street by Corrie Sanders. I actually think now that maybe Vitali is the better option for Haye, Haye could make him miss all night and look old - hell Vitali has looked very robotic and laboured since his return.

Either way I think there really isn't any other fight for Haye OR the Klits, unless anyone wants thinks that Haye needs a few more fights 1st; he'd KO Chambers and Arreola IMO, and he'd probably put Hopkins in a coma if they fought :( That would be horrendous to come to pass.

cthoaa

2ecd6xj.gif
beynua.gif
20ky5c4.gif

I saw these on another site before catching the fight on YouTube. The first knockdown was as clean as anything, but the second and last knockdowns are pretty bad.

Dropping his left will get him hurt vs. Klitschkos, but I'm a sucker for shooting from the hip and Haye looks really comfortable throwing from down there, esp. with the jab.

cthoaa

Yahoo's Kevin Iole on the business side of RJJ-Hopkins:
The sad thing about the fight is that Jones won’t make anything. Let’s assume for a second that the 6,792 in the building actually paid for their seats (we know that’s not true) and that the seats averaged $300 a ticket (a figure higher than reality). That would mean the gate was $2 million. If the expenses to rent the building and promote the fight were $1 million, that means $1 million is left. Now, let’s figure it sold 100,000 pay-per-views at $49.95 apiece. That’s about $5 million. They have to split 50 percent of that with the cable and satellite operators, so that leaves $2.498 million for themselves. Add the $1 million from the gate and the $2.498 million from the pay-per-view and you have $3.498 million in profit. Given that the contract called for the first $3.5 million in profit to go to Hopkins and Golden Boy, it’s almost certain Jones fought for nothing. Actual revenue will likely be far less than I’ve described above.
Far cry from 60-40.

cthoaa

NSAC's executive director confirms that Mayweather and Mosley have already had at least one random drug test.

Interview on Fanhouse: Shane Mosley's Been Random Drug Tested Five Times
FH: How many times have you done it?

Mosley: I've already seen these guys three times already. I've been blood-tested two times and I've taken the urine test three times. I can't wait for it to come up again. The guy's a part of the team, now. He shows up, drives me to go and get sandwiches and to go bowling or whatever.

He drives me all over the place. He's like a part of the team now, the guy who tests me.

FH: So can you tell me about the testing?

Mosley: The first time it was blood and urine. The first time was like two weeks ago, and then, he came back again the next week, and then he came back three days later.

FH: Did he tell you that you had to be at a certain place or time?

Mosley: They just wanted to know where you wanted to be. If you wanted to do it down the hill, or if you wanted to go and be somewhere at a certain place or time, then you have to notify them, like, by e-mail, to let them know that you're going down the hill or to a dentist's appointment.

Whatever it is, they will go with me.They'll go with me, where ever it is. But I was always here in Big Bear. I was always at my house. I don't really leave my house any way. I always stay here. I don't go nowhere. So he just came to my house, and we'd do the test.

So, anyone else heard the rumours that Shane is getting handled in sparring? I've heard it from several different places now. Think it's time to lump your money on Mayweather.

cthoaa

J Tourettes said:
So, anyone else heard the rumours that Shane is getting handled in sparring? I've heard it from several different places now. Think it's time to lump your money on Mayweather.
There was a quick blurb about this a few weeks ago in Boxing Talk's Q&A. They wrote that this same amateur was also giving Hopkins trouble.

I don't think Bernard and Shane shared camps so Nasim Richardson had to either split time or give total attention to Hopkins for the RJJ fight. At least Mosley now has him to himself. Since Shane is kind of an uneventful person, it's possible his 24/7 segments will focus more on his training and any problems in camp. (Then again, I don't think DLH-Pacquiao 24/7 had any mention of Ortiz busting up Oscar during training or Valero getting kicked out of the rotation.)

Shane was always the underdog, but these early stories of training complications, his awkward or uncharacteristic media appearances, and even trivial details like the new tattoos: these things just don't inspire confidence.

cthoaa said:
There was a quick blurb about this a few weeks ago in Boxing Talk's Q&A. They wrote that this same amateur was also giving Hopkins trouble.

I don't think Bernard and Shane shared camps so Nasim Richardson had to either split time or give total attention to Hopkins for the RJJ fight. At least Mosley now has him to himself. Since Shane is kind of an uneventful person, it's possible his 24/7 segments will focus more on his training and any problems in camp. (Then again, I don't think DLH-Pacquiao 24/7 had any mention of Ortiz busting up Oscar during training or Valero getting kicked out of the rotation.)

Shane was always the underdog, but these early stories of training complications, his awkward or uncharacteristic media appearances, and even trivial details like the new tattoos: these things just don't inspire confidence.

I'm hoping it's just Brother Nazim mind games but who knows?

Bradley is facing Maidana next. GBP are determined to get Maidana out of the picture before he faces Khan. Disgraceful and I'm hoping Maidana can pull off the upset here.

Should be a good fight at least.

harSon

Banned
Berto really needs to get a trainer that can tighten up his mechanics. He has all the tools to be one of the best in the sport, but he's incredibly sloppy in most aspects of his game :/ You can't get by on pure talent vs more capable fighters.

TheCardPlayer

Caballero is damn funny to watch, and damn good. He did amazing against his adversary. I love his style of punching. :lol He's always in exciting fights.

As for Berto vs Quintana, it was a pretty explosive finish for Berto. I knew that it would end by a KO, but this was getting pretty rough to watch. That last punch on Quintana was beautiful. Berto isn't a slick boxer, in any way, but he's damn powerful and he sets up great combinations.

cthoaa

harSon said:
Berto really needs to get a trainer that can tighten up his mechanics. He has all the tools to be one of the best in the sport, but he's incredibly sloppy in most aspects of his game :/ You can't get by on pure talent vs more capable fighters.
TheCardPlayer said:
As for Berto vs Quintana, it was a pretty explosive finish for Berto. I knew that it would end by a KO, but this was getting pretty rough to watch. That last punch on Quintana was beautiful. Berto isn't a slick boxer, in any way, but he's damn powerful and he sets up great combinations.
Totally agree with these. Ultimately a strong finish, but it wasn't like Berto shined throughout. He also complained quite a bit about some borderline stuff, and the ref was quick to appease.

It was messed up, that story about the athletic commission official smiling and walking away when confronted about the need for Caballero-Yordan to continue.

XiaNaphryz said:
So Holyfield's a heavyweight title holder again?
I was going to say 'no way', but I guess so. THough it's just a fringe title. I looked on their website and the WBF's other world champions are super middleweight Les Sherrington (Australia), middleweight Sam Solimon (Australia), and super lightweight Lance Gostelow (Australia).

G, A, or F: where is the WBF is located? :lol

Guys, can you give me a suggestion for a boxing schedule newsletter or something that would keep me updated with the fight calendars please? i costantly get distracted because of my extremely dynamic job and sometimes miss fights i'd really like to watch

god damn Sergio Martinez is styling all over Kelly Pavlick. IM starting to think Bernard Hopkins stole Pavlick's soul. That shit derailed his entire career.

TheCardPlayer

Wow. Martinez is one slick motherfucker. Such an amazing fight. Pavlik did well in the middle rounds, but Martinez rocked his shit for the rest of the night.

cthoaa

Timekiller said:
Guys, can you give me a suggestion for a boxing schedule newsletter or something that would keep me updated with the fight calendars please? i costantly get distracted because of my extremely dynamic job and sometimes miss fights i'd really like to watch
Like auto-notifications? Sorry, not really. The only things I get right now are tweets from @hboboxing and @SHOports and those aren't very useful for keeping track of upcoming dates. @ESPNboxing on twitter isn't good either as they're just links to that section's updates.

I pretty much ctrl+F on ESPN's schedule before the weekend and find whatever. It's more helpful than searching through BoxRec as ESPN is more US-centric and BoxRec doesn't have tv info.

cthoaa

Pavlik's reign as middleweight champ looks so bad: after two and a half years, it's KO Lockett, KO Rubio, KO Espino, L Martinez. (Taylor II & Hopkins were above 160.) It was dumb to go from stationary targets in Rubio and Espino to pretty much the fastest guy between 154-160.

Pavlik was all done after that amazing ninth. I had thought that Loew was trying to keep Kelly from quitting ("Don't say it!"), but it sounds like Pavlik was trying to communicate that he couldn't see while the doctor was possibly within earshot.

Martinez was getting good play on ESPN during highlights. (Though I personally don't find him as handsome as everyone is saying. :lol ) Too much style and confidence. Pavlik was quick to say that he wanted a rematch, but I don't know what could go differently.

I think Mark Taffet was there? Bittersweet for HBO as one of their three 154-pd. prospects broke through, but it came at pretty steep price to them/Top Rank.

theBishop

Banned
I'm posting on the bus home from Atlantic City. Awesome fight last night for Martinez. The energy of the crowd was 100% for Pavlik, but Martinez was playing to the audience in the last half, rolling his shoulders after taking a couple good shots, pumping his wrist, windmills, etc. By the end the audience of Pavlik fans were cheering for Martinez's connects even though they booed the final score.

Has anyone been able to find the round-by-round totals? With Pavlik's questionable knockdown and some close rounds in the middle, I didn't expect such a resounding win on the cards for Martinez even though he clearly owned the fight.

cthoaa

He reportedly admitted to the crime immediately.

[Web translation]The director general announced that Edwin Valero CICPC murdered his wife Yennifer Carolina Viera de Valero and gave police

CARACAS .- Venezuelan boxer's wife of Edwin "El Inca" Valero, Carolina Yennifer Viera de Valero, was found dead in the city of Valencia in the morning today and your spouse is currently detained at the police station in the state of Carabobo.

At present, the general director of the CICPC, Wilmer Flores Trosel, is conducting the initial investigations in the scene.

Advertising
Trosel Flores gave the first official report of the crime to Globovisión at 11:00 am, where he confirmed the death of the girl, who received three stab wounds in the neck.

"Edwin Valero went down to reception and confessed he had killed, so the hotel staff immediately called police, who later confirmed the death in the room," the director general of the CICPC.

During the week, the Inca took his wife home, taunted police custody and had disappeared for 26 hours, according to sources close to the boxer.

"It's good to remember that and a history of these lamentable events of gender violence," Flores recalled Trossel, remembering the steps that the Public Ministry had taken to ensure that the boxer detoxify, including the assignment of two sureties and a measure of presentation regular in the court handling the case.

This applies FACTS
12:00 m (April 17): Valero and his wife embarked on a trip from Mérida Valencia in a van "Machito" rented, introducing the fighter was under the influence of alcohol, unofficially known as sources close to the family.

11:30 pm: Valero and his wife Jennifer arrived at the Hotel Intercontinental Valencia, requesting a room for overnight.

5:30 a.m.: Valero down to the hotel lobby to announce at the reception that his wife is dead, taking the blame.

6:00 a.m.: Troops of the Carabobo Police arrived at the hotel and arrested the fighter, with little resistance.

6:30 a.m.: Valero is transferred to the General Command of Police of Carabobo.

Not yet known if the legal case will be born in the city of Valencia.

LOG
April 12, 2010: The circle near the Valero family, it said the boxer had beaten his wife.

April 9, 2010: The "Inca" crashed his car and tried to escape under the influence of alcohol. I had missed the flight in the morning to Cuba, where he would begin rehabilitation.

March 25, 2010: He was arrested by a commission and prosecutors CICPC Merida state in the Hospital Universitario de Los Andes at 11:00 am, after assaulting his wife.

February 7, 2010: He made his last fight against Antonio DeMarco, maintaining their unbeaten record in the CMB in Monterrey, Mexico. Reached 27 KO

December 19, 2009: He fought for the first time in Venezuela, in the sports José María Vargas La Guaira against Mexican Hector Velazquez.

September 28, 2009: "I've never hit my sister, let alone my mother. This is not just a new challenge, and again the desire to harm. I accept my mistakes but I have not committed any fault, they never stick, "said Valero, when he was charged in Merida of beating his family, including his mother.
I didn't know about all these recent assault charges and the DUI.

I remember when he moved to Japan like three years ago. He, his wife, and kids were living in this small apartment and they were featured on a few segments for the Japanese variety shows. They looked like a normal, happy family.

TheCardPlayer

Filthy fucking piece of shit. Something should have been done dammit. Fucking asssack beat her all the time.

Holy shit on the Valero front. Maybe that motorbike accident fucked him up more than previously thought?

Still despicable behaviour though and an absolute tragedy for th kids.

Top Bottom