• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Yeah, from an outsiders point of view it looks like he was probably bi-polar or schizophrenic. His handlers should've taken better care of him.

The poor kids are now orphans, hope they've got someone decent to look after them.

see5harp

His wife was so damn fine. Dude got off lucky by killing himself and it sucks that we'll never see him move up in weight and class.

cthoaa

33ljoeb.jpg

Weigh-In : Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler - Super Six Boxing (YouTube)
Super Six News Update: Carl Froch and Mikkel Kessler in Denmark (YouTube)
Fight Camp 360: Ep 5 - Dirrell vs. Abraham and Froch vs. Kessler (YouTube)

Official weights: Froch 75.9 kg, Kessler 75.8 kg.

The update mentions that Froch arrived via chartered plane on Wednesday, three days later than expected. There were vague reports throught the week that he'll be fighting with an injury; turns out it's an ear infection which may have come about through sparring.

I'm starting to like Fight Camp more than 24/7; without the announcer (who I do like), the show feels a little more real and a little less Hollywood. Funniest part here:

Andre Dirrell's fiancée (to A.Abraham): You're a coward!
esn72d.gif

Andre Dirrell (crying): Who the fuck called me a coward?
ei8tn8.gif

Also Carl first appears complaining about people messing with his car and jokes that it might be a Calzaghe fan messing with him. Then the episode ends with him inspecting a new dent.

cthoaa

It's really big for Kessler. If he drops this one to Froch, he'll be the only one of the six to go 0-2 with only a fight vs. Green forthcoming in the round robin section. Regardless of what happens, Froch will at least have his 2 points and a date with AA next.

Froch was better than Kessler and closer to form in their last fights, but things seemed to be lined up better for Kessler. Establishing his jab should be easier with opportunites for the right hand to follow.

It's starting soon. I completely whiffed on the time difference last fight (Froch-Dirrell, UK time zone) and ended up seeing spoilers before I could correct myself.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I know it's just the first round, but Froch was hitting Kessler rather easily. I remember Kessler being a very good fighter. It's almost like his loss to Calzaghe ruined him. Froch is very relaxed and practically smiling.

EDIT. Round 2 wasn't any better. Froch is beating the crap out of Kessler. Well, there is still time to turn this around for the Dane.

Yeah I think Froch is landing the better shots so far. Strangely he's fighting a bit like Dirrell and Kessler can't deal with speed very well.

Come on Kessler!!

Please continue updating. I'm sitting here in Denmark and there's nothing worth watching in television only a boxing match you have to pay for -_-

Trickster

Metroid Killer said:
Come on Kessler!!

Please continue updating. I'm sitting here in Denmark and there's nothing worth watching in television only a boxing match you have to pay for -_-

Ekstrabladet.dk are doing liveupdating on their website, in danish of course :)

TheCardPlayer

That round was badass. Froch's right hand was absolute perfection. Kessler is starting to answer but Froch isn't falling down, so he's still dominating.

Kessler is starting to headhunt and landing some bombs. This is a great fight.

TheCardPlayer

Kessler lost last round spectacularly...and now he's back! The back and forth was amazing. It looks like Froch is kind of drained a bit. He's not as aggressive.

TheCardPlayer

Damn! This the beginning of the fight in reverse. Now it's Froch getting hammered. :lol They are both wobbly too. This has to end in a KO.

TheCardPlayer

Froch is out of this fight. He's out of energy. Kessler is imposing his boxing here. He turned this around, very well.

Kessler should have had a point deducted for his second blatant rabbit punch but the ref didn't acknowledge either of them.

Froch 6 rounds to 5, I sense a draw. The crowd was going crazy for Kessler's combos in that round but I don't think they were landing.

TheCardPlayer

BigKaboom2 said:
Kessler should have had a point deducted for his second blatant rabbit punch but the ref didn't acknowledge either of them.

Froch 6 rounds to 5, I sense a draw.

The reffering in the Super 6 fights is a disgrace to the sport. This fight is no different.

WHAT A ROUND

TheCardPlayer

BigKaboom2 said:
115-114 Froch for me, had the last round even. Wouldn't be surprised at any scorecard as long it's fairly close though.

Same here. Kessler by one round. Also, is it me, or was Kessler on the verge of falling at the end?

TheCardPlayer said:
Same here. Kessler by one round. Also, is it me, or was Kessler on the verge of falling at the end?
I thought he got rocked at one point in the 12th but then he suddenly looked sure-footed again. Hard to say.

That's about what I expected, I thought they'd all be more like 117-111 though. I'd like to see the punch stats but Showtime doesn't seem to ever release them.

So if Kessler had gotten a point deduction for rabbit punching, and the knockdown credited in round 5, it would have still been a majority decision in all likelihood.

I'm a Brit but kess won that, no doubt IMO. 117-111 is a pisstake though but that was to be expected from the man that reffed the Ottke - Reid fight.

Froch was outworked, fought on the backfoot and had practically no body attack. deserved to lose IMO.

Great tearup!

I had it 115-113 to Kessler, mostly due to being the aggressor throughout most of the fight.

I think there were two rounds (6th and 7th) that were decisively Kessler's, but every other round was really close and hard to score.

Great fight though, the last round was epic, both guys giving 110%, great to see.

Was a great fight and the twelfth was a great finish. Froch only has himself to blame for not being busy enough but I still fancy him against Abraham in the next round.

I don't suppose he can give Calzaghe too much shit anymore.

Atrophis

Very disappointed that Froch lost. Cant complain about the outcome as it was very close but I had it one round to Froch. Not enough when away from home though. Froch didnt really fight the right fight. When he actually followed the game plan coming forward he had great success but was content to stay on the back foot for most of the fight for some reason.

117-111 :lol wtf

cthoaa

Miguel Kessler. :D

I had Froch winning in the final round, but was really surprised at how much Kessler attacked the body and let his hands go, often at the cost of technique.

Froch's jab is tricky. He kinda paws with it as a range-finder, but he's so strong that it's still almost a power jab -- very unfair. Of the S6 fighters, I think he has the best chance to hurt Abraham because of his good uppercut.

Because of his competition going into the tournament, the "last 5" on his resumé should read as one of boxing's best at the end of the round robin stage: Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Kessler, Abraham.

Enzo Mac's latest comeback fight, against Alexander Kotlobay for the Euro title: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5vBxQ3RCeY#t=3m30s

I like Enzo, seems like a decent fella hopefully he'll get a final crack at another world title before calling it a day.

Also, random stream of thought here, why is it only Pac getting shit about PED's? Surely Adamek has to be one of the biggest suspect's out there.

Tom_Cody said:
I can not wait for the fight this weekend. I'm surprised there isn't more hype. Who are you all picking?

I'm such a big Mosley fan I can't help but root for him. Some of my favorite Mosley KOs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHoTb_oXgvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHY1A_KnnOA

Unfortunately I'm expecting a Mayweather win :(

Mosley is very old for the lower weights and has had a year and half lay-off after the extremely Marga win. The tales coming from his sparring in camp don't sound too good either but I tend to take them with a grain of salt.

cthoaa

I posted an event thread for Mayweather-Mosley:

Boxing-age: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs Shane Mosley - Saturday, May 1.

It'd be nice if Mosley could do it, but I have to pick Mayweather.

I can't find it on YouTube but my favorite Mosley KO was vs. Golden Johnson. Mosley had really beaten him up to the body and after Johnson got up off the canvas, Mosley landed another meaty body shot and Johnson crumpled. The fight was gone from Johnson and he took the full count resting on one knee. Mosley walked over, bending down to console him. It was a nice sports moment.

Mosley and Mayweather were crazy at 130-135.

cthoaa

The Super Six current standings from Team Sauerland's Facebook:

vgkkyg.jpg

I think if points are tied, the tiebreakers are something like:

1.) KOs
2.) head-to-head
3.) points (rounds) won

There's supposedly several levels of tiebreakers in the contracts, but I can't imagine there will be a need to go further.

Dirrell would be ahead of the other 2-pointers in terms of rounds, but because of the head-to-head results (Ward beat Kessler beat Froch beat Dirrell) Ward is on top with just one fight recorded and he's on the outside.

Top Bottom