• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Khan should be able to stay behind the jab all night against Maidana and win quite comfortably. Unfortunately we'll never know as Khan and his handlers are doing their best to make sure the fight never happens. Khan only fights old, blown up superfeathers/lightweights or non punching Light Welters. I can't see that changing any time soon.

Honestly, I think that the fight will materialize in the fall. I don't think they're as afraid of Marcos as people think they are. I read some quote from Roach about how he didnt think alexander was anything special and about how his prospect Benavidez gave Bradley a hell of a fight in sparring. But who knows, this is boxing...

Anyway, Andre Ward vs. Allen Green tonight! You guys ready to watch this shit? I can't wait for it! I think Green pretty much only has a puncher's chance, but this tournament has been so full of surprises you never know what could happen. Should be fun either way.

cthoaa

I really liked it. It wasn't crowd-pleasing and I could see and hear people getting restless, but I really enjoyed all the infighting from Ward. I am disappointed in the way Green acquiesced: he showed that he could find his way off the ropes only to be pushed right back. No adaptability.

EschatonDX said:
Honestly, I think that the fight will materialize in the fall. I don't think they're as afraid of Marcos as people think they are. I read some quote from Roach about how he didnt think alexander was anything special and about how his prospect Benavidez gave Bradley a hell of a fight in sparring. But who knows, this is boxing...

Anyway, Andre Ward vs. Allen Green tonight! You guys ready to watch this shit? I can't wait for it! I think Green pretty much only has a puncher's chance, but this tournament has been so full of surprises you never know what could happen. Should be fun either way.

That Benavidez is one hell of a prospect though, not just some nobody. I'd probably back him against Khan right now. As for Alexander, Roach never has a good word to say about any potential opponents so I tend not to listen to him about that.

Personally I don't think Khan is afraid of Marcos but his team sure as hell aren't too confident. Paying Marcos off and matching him tough, all the while trying to make fights with lighter and/or older, faded guys or non-punchers for Amir tells me all I need to know.

Amir has tremendous speed but a glass chin and average power. he's going to be KTFO out again as soon as he faces a semi-skilled puncher. Not sure MM is the man to do it but he has a punchers chance.

Benavidez laying the smackdown on Khan, the photographer reckons he's going to upload a vid of the session on youtube at some point.
miguelsalazar20-4.jpg

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
That Benavidez is one hell of a prospect though, not just some nobody. I'd probably back him against Khan right now. As for Alexander, Roach never has a good word to say about any potential opponents so I tend not to listen to him about that.

Amir has tremendous speed but a glass chin and average power. he's going to be KTFO out again as soon as he faces a semi-skilled puncher. Not sure MM is the man to do it but he has a punchers chance.

I wouldnt say he has average power, his KO record doesn't match up with that statement. As for Benavidez.... I like the kid too but I'm gonna see him in a legit fight before I say any more. Sparring doesn't mean that much btw, there's a similar video of Benavidez sparring Pac and he's knocking him around the ring.

EschatonDX said:
I wouldnt say he has average power, his KO record doesn't match up with that statement. As for Benavidez.... I like the kid too but I'm gonna see him in a legit fight before I say any more. Sparring doesn't mean that much btw, there's a similar video of Benavidez sparring Pac and he's knocking him around the ring.

I know there's a difference between sparring and the real deal but I hear nothing but good stuff about Benavidez but as you say, time will tell. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped the sparring after that punch as Khan's frailties in the jaw department are widely known.

As for the Khan power statement, I stand by that. I've been unfortunate enough to see everyone of Khan's fights and I'm telling you for certain, his power is average. Ko'ing the parade of bums that he has doesn't mean shit in the grand old scheme of things.

cthoaa

25kokco.jpg

Showtime updated the Super Six Scorecard to reflect the standings at the end of stage two.

Some funny scenarios:

2lmwfmq.gif

-Sorry for being such a wrestling fan, but Andre Ward's guaranteed a spot in the semis. What if he laid down and let Dirrell through to the next round? :lol

-Froch can advance without a win. If Green loses to Kessler and Ward beats Dirrell, Froch can lose and be tied at two points with Dirrell for the fourth seed of the semis. As he won their fight, Froch would advance over Dirrell.

-The Kessler-Green fight could feature two guys who both fail to qualify for the next round. If Green beats Kessler on points, Dirrell beats Ward, and Froch beats Abraham, then both Green (and the WBA SMW title) and Kessler will be out of the tournament with two points each. (Abraham, the fourth seed, would have three points.)

Esch

Banned
Ward is gonna step it up and win over dirrell. I hope for god's sake that people call him on his butting and holding sometimes. He's like a super black hatton :lol

But weve got some good news. Bute-Brinkley is getting scheduled for FNF(yay!) and this saturday, we've got...

qxlzr5.jpg

Lopez is probably gonna own Bernabe, but it's at least gonna be an awesome fight to watch

Esch

Banned
I dunno if anyone watched saturday's bouts(a shame if you didnt), but Nonito Donaire and Juanma came away with KO's in pretty entertaining bouts.

Donaire-Montiel for the Bantamweight title got announced for november, and Juanma-Rafa Marquez got announced for september 18th.

cthoaa

EschatonDX said:
I dunno if anyone watched saturday's bouts(a shame if you didnt), but Nonito Donaire and Juanma came away with KO's in pretty entertaining bouts.
I watched the main event. Juanma is good, but he took that clean shot at the end of the first. He must have a`weakness opening up vs Filipino southpaws because even though he wrecked old man Penalosa, he ate similar counters several times as he pressed for the finish.

Him vs Marquez will be fun. I like Rafael a lot, even more than his brother, but I think Juanma might be too fresh.

EDIT: Hmm... it bothered me, so I checked. I dunno why I thought Concepcion was lefty.

harSon

Banned
chuckddd said:
Is Mayweather gonna sign or puss out
again
? Time is almost up. (he has until midnight, apparently)

Pacquiao still hasn't agreed to Mayweather's terms. The 14 day cut off was taken off the table after Pacquiao refused to compromise at all within the last negotiation.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
harSon said:
Pacquiao still hasn't agreed to Mayweather's terms. The 14 day cut off was taken off the table after Pacquiao refused to compromise at all within the last negotiation.

Dan Rafael, and therefore, I, haven't heard a word from Mayweather's camp about any sort of terms. Perhaps you have some sort of link?

That being said, fuck Mayweather and his terms, man up or gtfo.

harSon

Banned
chuckddd said:
Dan Rafael, and therefore, I, haven't heard a word from Mayweather's camp about any sort of terms. Perhaps you have some sort of link?

http://w13.examiner.com/x-33584-Cle...s-still-may-not-be-good-enough-for-Mayweather
Last February, after negotiations fell through, Mayweather was adamant that the 14-day window was off the table and that Pacquiao would need to submit to random testing up until the day of the fight. Since then, Mayweather hasn’t backed off that statement but hasn’t mentioned it again either.

I don't blame you for not knowing, the media has been doing a pretty one-sided reporting of the entire situation.

chuckddd said:

mayweather agreed to Pac's terms, I don't see why it's his fault. It's just drug testing, what's the big deal? Pacquiao's gonna drop tens of millions of dollars because he hates needles?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
harSon said:
http://w13.examiner.com/x-33584-Cle...s-still-may-not-be-good-enough-for-Mayweather

I don't blame you for not knowing, the media has been doing a pretty one-sided reporting of the entire situation.

So Pacquiao agreed to the old stipulation, but then Mayweather moved the bar? Is he just going to keep moving it until Manny has to fight with both hands tied behind his back? It definitely looks like he's trying to duck him until he's so old that he'll win easily. It seems to be his formula.

Arum and Koncz have speculated that the legal troubles of Roger Mayweather, Floyd's uncle and longtime trainer, may have caused the fighter to be leery of making the fight.

Roger Mayweather goes on trial in Clark County District Court in Nevada on Aug. 2 on an assault charge stemming from his allegedly choking and assaulting female boxer Melissa St. Vil last year, and could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted meaning that he might not be available for a November fight.

Or that. Damn, that whole family is fucked up.

Oh, and sorry Eschaton, I went to a party instead. I'll catch a replay.

Baby Milo

chuckddd said:
So Pacquiao agreed to the old stipulation, but then Mayweather moved the bar? Is he just going to keep moving it until Manny has to fight with both hands tied behind his back? It definitely looks like he's trying to duck him until he's so old that he'll win easily. It seems to be his formula.
agreeing to old terms 3 months after they have been off table definitely sounds like they wanted the fight:lol. Only one guys is a pussy here and thats the guy that is ducking blood test.fight could have been fought months ago if he agreed the first time instead of 5 months later.

cthoaa

I watched Tua-Barrett off of WBVA. It was much better than expected. Very even fight throughout and with a three-point round in the twelfth (knockdown+point deduction) it seemed like Barrett pulled away in the end. End result was a majority draw, 113-113 twice and a dissenting 115-111 for Tua. Both fighters had an arm around the other while the decision was announced and both were good and professional.

On HBO's BAD, Angulo got a first round KO over Alcine and Bradley won his fight easily. It was Bradley's first fight above 140 in a while and he might stay at welterweight for a fight with Berto.

harSon

Banned
Outside of his ridiculous chin, Margarito is not even that great of a fighter :/ Cotto II would have been an infinitely more enjoyable bout, especially coming off of his last performance.

Esch

Banned
FNF has a good bout on tonight, Shumenov-Uzelkov, guaranteed slugfest for cruiserweight greatness. Tune in bitches.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
chuckddd said:

Or that. Damn, that whole family is fucked up.

Oh, and sorry Eschaton, I went to a party instead. I'll catch a replay.
Well maybe, but May is older than Pac.

They literally will be too old for the fight to be interesting by the time it comes off. May will be at least 34 and starting to decline. Boxing is just a fucked sport at this point when you have only 2 guys left across all the weight classes that are of relevance, and they won't even fight each other.

Joe Q. Public doesn't give a fucking shit about their petty "terms;" they're basically bleeding the sport to death.

Esch

Banned
It would be nice if this thread was actually about boxing and not about pacquiao-mayweather 99% of the time. I'm tired of these two drama queens and these demands. They're not at their ideal weights. They're not in their physical primes(Pac is about to leave his), and the bout is less competitive than the hype would have you imagine. There are more competitive, more interesting matchups in the sport right now, but we can't talk about them because everyone is obsessed with these fucking stupid superbouts, these things ruin the sport.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
EschatonDX said:
It would be nice if this thread was actually about boxing and not about pacquiao-mayweather 99% of the time. I'm tired of these two drama queens and these demands. They're not at their ideal weights. They're not in their physical primes(Pac is about to leave his), and the bout is less competitive than the hype would have you imagine. There are more competitive, more interesting matchups in the sport right now, but we can't talk about them because everyone is obsessed with these fucking stupid superbouts, these things ruin the sport.
It's because that's the only fight that's relevant in a dying sport that's dying partially because top fighters don't ever fight each other.

Your average, non-obsessed fan has no clue there's anyone else, and even less people will ever know if this fight doesn't ever come off, which it won't.

Esch

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It's because that's the only fight that's relevant in a dying sport that's dying partially because top fighters don't ever fight each other.

Your average, non-obsessed fan has no clue there's anyone else, and even less people will ever know if this fight doesn't ever come off, which it won't.

:lol

I'm not denying boxing has it's serious issues and is out of gas in the USA, but if you're here to just post spec about pac-mayweather and talk about boxing dying, what are you contributing? I don't really care about the assorted casual fan that only really has a passing interest. Because they don't honestly care about Boxing. Boxing could benefit from several different reforms far more than another hyped up, overpriced, exclusionary overblown PPV superfight. In a lot of ways this hypothetical bout is an amalgamation of everything that IS wrong with boxing, especially here in the states.

My post also really had to do more with the direction of this thread in general, but at the same time I take it to be a symptom of the state of boxing.

harSon said:
Outside of his ridiculous chin, Margarito is not even that great of a fighter :/ Cotto II would have been an infinitely more enjoyable bout, especially coming off of his last performance.

I have no interest in seeing Pac destroy Cotto again. I agree with your Marga assessment though.

EschatonDX said:
:lol

I'm not denying boxing has it's serious issues and is out of gas in the USA, but if you're here to just post spec about pac-mayweather and talk about boxing dying, what are you contributing? I don't really care about the assorted casual fan that only really has a passing interest. Because they don't honestly care about Boxing. Boxing could benefit from several different reforms far more than another hyped up, overpriced, exclusionary overblown PPV superfight. In a lot of ways this hypothetical bout is an amalgamation of everything that IS wrong with boxing, especially here in the states.

My post also really had to do more with the direction of this thread in general, but at the same time I take it to be a symptom of the state of boxing.

Boxing may not be as popular as it once was but I think the boxing is dying brigade are nothing but a bunch of drama queens.

oneHeero

Baby Milo said:
agreeing to old terms 3 months after they have been off table definitely sounds like they wanted the fight:lol. Only one guys is a pussy here and thats the guy that is ducking blood test.fight could have been fought months ago if he agreed the first time instead of 5 months later.
O yea, Pac being the puss when Mayweather is trying to change rules and add his own in. There is no need for olympic style testing. This match would have been in the bag, but Pac is so good that Mayweathers daddy and uncle scare mayweather into believing Pac is on roids. So when the fight gets close to being made, Mayweather decides he doesnt wanna use the nevada gaming commision, he wants his own olympic style drug test and his reason is because he's decided to help clean up the sport.. This is PBF, the greatest shit talker and one who can back it. He isnt a puss, but he knows he has a legit chance to lose to Pac and he probably is willing to take anything serious when his undefeated record is up for grabs.

Nonetheless, Mayweather proved he is great to me by smacking Mosley up. Even if I think that fight was odd as fuck with Mosley gassing after Rd 2. Just makes no sense that he'd gas by rd 3 when I never recall him having a problem going the distance, especially with where he holds his training camp(helps with stamina). Much preferred to watch Mosley Vs PBF in Mosley prime, but Mosley looked good in his last few fights.

There are ton of good new fighters rising to the top in the nearby weight divisions. Shit is getting stacked imo, there are a lot more fights that I'd be interested in seeing PBF and Pac be in if they dont agree to fight each other. I wanna see the newer guys get cracks at the Margarito, cottos, judah, etc. But its like the top contenders just recycle the older fighters instead of fighting the awesome newcomers.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Boxing may not be as popular as it once was but I think the boxing is dying brigade are nothing but a bunch of drama queens.

It's pretty much really just having real trouble in the USA, if you ask people from other countries about boxing dying they'll look at you real confused. Since the advent of champions like Calzaghe, Haye, Froch and Khan it's gotten extremely popular in the UK. In Cuba, they have Rigondeaux, Gamboa etc. Mexico has Marquez, Montiel, Angulo, etc.. Look at America's performance in the olympics last time around in Boxing and you can see how this has panned out, we did as well as India with a single medalist(deontay wilder). The latin american and asian countries dominate the majority of the lower weights. The eastern bloc countries dominate CW, LHW, and HW. The middle weights are the only foothold the US still really has in terms of true dominance and that is slowly eroding away too. It's sad really.

J Tourettes said:
Berto - Cotto is also being discussed now.

Yep. And Berto is getting his ass beat. Well, everyone has to lose sometime? :lol

oneHeero said:
There are ton of good new fighters rising to the top in the nearby weight divisions. Shit is getting stacked imo, there are a lot more fights that I'd be interested in seeing PBF and Pac be in if they dont agree to fight each other. I wanna see the newer guys get cracks at the Margarito, cottos, judah, etc. But its like the top contenders just recycle the older fighters instead of fighting the awesome newcomers.

yyup. a lot of the bigger fighters view themselves as financially above the contenders(every strap holder these days thinks they're a PPV attraction :lol) and they're pricing them at fights. But what's happening as a result is that contenders are starting to take each OTHER on instead of the guys sitting pretty with alphabet soup titles. A great example is Jacobs vs. Pirog for the WBO title on the marquez diaz undercard.

cthoaa

2zgur1s.jpg

(Click here and enter ZIP code to find nearest theater.)

I didn't know that this was going to be in theaters. I didn't go for the last one in May, but did watch Mayweather-Marquez in the theaters last year and it was awesome: one of the best experiences I've had watching boxing and probably the best experience I had in a theater. Usually I get bothered by the talking, but that time it was perfectly acceptable. There were even built-in breaks to go to the concessions! (ie: everything before the main event! :D j/k, those fights were fine.)

I think this time it's cheaper (I remember PBF-JMM being something like ~$20, but I'm seeing $15 prices at nearby locations), but going by Fandango's site, there's little interest. (3%-97%: 1 Fan Can't Wait, 35 Fans Don't Care)

I'm definitely in the not particularly interested camp for that fight as I feel it's an unnecessary rematch. The fact that Khan's camp are lining up the winner as their next opponent irks me even further.

Esch

Banned
regardless as to what you think of the rematch, the actual card is still great!

jacobs vs pirog is gonna be an incredible fight

bika-mendy will be competitive and good

juares-linares could be great depending on what version of linares shows up

casamayor guerrero will probably be good depending on how casa looks at this point.

EschatonDX said:
regardless as to what you think of the rematch, the actual card is still great!

jacobs vs pirog is gonna be an incredible fight

bika-mendy will be competitive and good

juares-linares could be great depending on what version of linares shows up

casamayor guerrero will probably be good depending on how casa looks at this point.

True enough, although not sure that they'll show all of the undercard in the UK. I may have to find a stream online if I'm still awake.

I've still got some money left in my betting account from the world cup, debating sticking it on the fight ending in a stoppage, which will double my money. May also stick some on Marquez rounds 7-9. I'm just worries that he may get old overnight.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
True enough, although not sure that they'll show all of the undercard in the UK. I may have to find a stream online if I'm still awake.

I've still got some money left in my betting account from the world cup, debating sticking it on the fight ending in a stoppage, which will double my money. May also stick some on Marquez rounds 7-9. I'm just worries that he may get old overnight.

I think Marquez looks pretty damn good right now. looked sharp in training and sparring and he's actually at his ideal weight this time.

bika-mendy etc is supposed to be streamed somewhere legitimately, i can't recall where.

EDIT: the whole undercard will be on The Ring's site.

EschatonDX said:
I think Marquez looks pretty damn good right now. looked sharp in training and sparring and he's actually at his ideal weight this time.

bika-mendy etc is supposed to be streamed somewhere legitimately, i can't recall where.

I thought Marquez looked a bit flabby in the first Diaz fight, his best days were definitely at lower weights. My other worry is that he got caught badly by Diaz in the first fight and looked in trouble but at least he managed to come back.

Think I've talked myself into my bets now :lol

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
I thought Marquez looked a bit flabby in the first Diaz fight, his best days were definitely at lower weights. My other worry is that he got caught badly by Diaz in the first fight and looked in trouble but at least he managed to come back.

Think I've talked myself into my bets now :lol

I saw Diaz at that weigh-in, if anything he's the one looking flabby right now... I just don't think Diaz's focus is where it needs to be right now. All of his interviews have him talking about like, the LSAT and all sorts of shit besides Marquez. Look at Danny Jacobs for a contrast, the guy is obsessed with Pirog, has been watching videos of him apparently for months, he's clearly hungry.

You can't beat Marquez unless you've got that hunger.

Esch

Banned
Definitely nobody besides you and me. Turned out exactly how i thought it would, in regard to marquez-diaz.

:lol @jacobs getting KTFO, i won 200$ off Pirog.

:lol again at diaz getting beaten into a law career

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ bika winning and dqing himself for being an idiot.

Lost my money on the Marquez fight as I went for the stoppage :lol

In other news Martinez - Williams 2 is supposed to be near enough a done deal. Hopefully Martinez won't get robbed this time around.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Lost my money on the Marquez fight as I went for the stoppage :lol

In other news Martinez - Williams 2 is supposed to be near enough a done deal. Hopefully Martinez won't get robbed this time around.

It's good that Williams finally stopped chasing for a superfight with pac or pbf(he will never get a shot at either). FotY contender if it goes down. I had hopes for Montiel-Donaire this year but I don't think Montiel wants to take it, apparently. Wuss :lol

Tom_Cody

I don't care what anyone says, I enjoyed last weekend's fight card.

I can't wait to see more from Dmitry Pirog. I have been curious about him since he was thrown into a 10 rounder in only the 4th fight of his career. It's always satisfying to see a prospect that you've been following breakout onto the world stage.

J Tourettes said:
Aren't their rumours of a super flyweight tournament going around, including Donaire? Unless I imagined it.
Maxboxing has been reporting on this. Check the notes sections from these two articles:

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/promo-lead/finger-pointing-in-youngstown
http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/lateef-kayode-and-the-cruiserweight-conundrum

Unfortunately it looks like Top Rank is ducking the tournament, which means no Donaire. I'm still pretty excited to see Vic Darchinyan, Abner Mares, Joseph Agbeko, and Yonnhy Perez fight each other. What a great group of match-ups.

Top Bottom