• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

ok Boring fight discussion over- lets talk about the REAL FUCKING FIGHT OF THE YEAR which i'm going to btw, PAUL WILLIAMS VS SERGIO MARTINEZ

I hope Sergio tears that ass up. <3

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Baby Milo said:
Floyd-Shane did 1.5 mil im not sure if Pac-Marg can match that though.

wtf, are you for real? What justification could there possibly be for floyd-manny to NOT beat that? Think about it.

Too bad pussy boy floyd don't want no part of manny. The only delusional people are mayweather fans who keep trying to rationalize why floyd won't man up and get in the ring with manny.

harSon

Banned
Why are people gushing over Pacquiao's performance against Margarito? A wins a win, but it's not like Shane Mosley didn't absolutely destroy him just a year prior to this fight. Outside of Margarito's ridiculous chin and toughness factor, he's always been a relatively average boxer.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
harSon said:
Why are people gushing over Pacquiao's performance against Margarito? A wins a win, but it's not like Shane Mosley didn't absolutely destroy him just a year prior to this fight. Outside of Margarito's ridiculous chin and toughness factor, he's always been a relatively average boxer.

Fortified hands came a long way it seems. Heh

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I thought it was gonna end in round 8 or 9, but should have known Margarito agreed to give all 12 before hand.

Manny should say "If you fight me, you better be ready to throw the towel, or the blood will be on your corner man's hands. I'm not holding back.".

He has to fight Mayweather.

VanMardigan said:
wtf, are you for real? What justification could there possibly be for floyd-manny to NOT beat that? Think about it.

Too bad pussy boy floyd don't want no part of manny. The only delusional people are mayweather fans who keep trying to rationalize why floyd won't man up and get in the ring with manny.
At the end of the day Pac was the one that wouldnt sign.

harSon said:

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Margarito suffers orbital fracture in loss:

Antonio Margarito, the Mexican super welterweight beaten badly by Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night, suffered a fractured orbital bone to his face and was expected to stay in the hospital for observation through at least Sunday night, an executive with Margarito's promotions company said.

Margarito, who lost in a lopsided, 12-round decision, was taken directly to the hospital via ambulance after the fight to have cuts to his face examined. That is when the injury to his eye socket was discovered, Top Rank executive Carl Moretti told ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in an e-mail Sunday.

Margarito skipped the postfight news conference at the request of the fight doctor and people in his camp, unusual for a fight of this magnitude.
Manny broke his face, literally.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Roach also believes that Margarito will never fight again, and he said Manny would only fight 147+ from now on.

Margarito's wife looked really pissed off at seeing all this. Must be though for a wife when you have kids and all with the guy.

Esch

Banned
harSon said:

Average boxer? He destroyed Cotto, was a formerly ranked #1 WW, had a 17lb weight advantage over pacquiao on fight night? It was a great win. Don't try and discredit what he did last night.

Certainly more legit than the Clottey fight.

WAR

sergio-martinez-248_3-2-9c977.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Other times I cringe when I see such a bad beating, but in this case it was kind of deserved for cheating and just being a cunt.

see5harp

harSon said:

Styles make fights. Margarito used to throw more than 1000 punches a fight. He almost beat Paul Williams and at some point "he was too big" for floyd and mannie. I know you're dying to take any credit you can take from Manny but you rewriting history.

Chichikov

TestMonkey said:
Much respect to Margarito. Going 6 rounds with a broken orbital bone takes great cajones.
Personal respect for sure, it was nothing short of heroic, but I can't believe his corner (and possibly even the ref) let him keep on fighting in the 11th and beyond.
It was a great fight, but the last couple of rounds were flirting with disaster.

After that fight no way in hell Mayweather is fighting him.
Say what you want about him, but he ain't dumb.

Also, holy shit at the people downplaying that win.
Yeah, the fact that Pac only demolished (really, it should've been a TKO) a 17lbs heavier fighter with one of the best chins in the world is a horrible blemish on his career.
Did we watch the same fight?

skyfinch

Chichikov said:
Personal respect for sure, it was nothing short of heroic, but I can't believe his corner (and possibly even the ref) let him keep on fighting in the 11th and beyond.
It was a great fight, but the last couple of rounds were flirting with disaster.

After that fight no way in hell Mayweather is fighting him.
Say what you want about him, but he ain't dumb.

Also, holy shit at the people downplaying that win.
Yeah, the fact that Pac only demolished (really, it should've been a TKO) a 17lbs heavier fighter with one of the best chins in the world is a horrible blemish on his career.
Did we watch the same fight?

Not only that, but even when Manny was up against the ropes, being hit by someone 17lbs heavier, he still fought back and ended up winning the exchanges.
The fact that he barely had a scratch on him, while Margarito's face looked like hamburger says a lot.

theBishop

Banned
Anyone taking odds on Martinez/Williams II? Comparing their last fights isn't exactly fair, but clearly Martinez looked way better. If I were Martinez, I'd have a model of Pavlik's face above my mantle.

Williams had a rough time of it with that bizarre 4th round disqualification against Cintron, but he wasn't looking dominant in the opening rounds.

Furthermore, Martinez was the underdog against Pavlik while Williams was favored against Cintron.

So I'm picking Martinez for this one.

Chichikov said:

yeah, and it was stupid after the fight when his trainer Robert Garcia said something to the effect of "I never thought about stopping it because Antonio would never let me do that". That is supposed to be YOUR decision, idiot. That is why you are the head trainer. Hopefully Margarito didn't sustain any extra permanent damage from those extra 2-3 rounds of needless headshots. His trainer is an idiot, he and Brandon Rios deserve each other.

Anyway, it was an impressive performance by Manny for sure. Margarito showed he is not as great as people believed him to be. He's on his way to journeyman status. Not only because of the plaster-gate, but also because the other side of the coin is he took beatings in both the Cotto and Mosely fights, and now against Manny. 3 fights like that can take a lot of a fighter. Once it was clear his size was not going to bother Manny, he became a perfect punching bag for a fighter like Pacquiao. A guy who doesn't defend very well and keeps coming forward, but doesn't have the speed to keep up. Perfect type of fighter for Manny to just pick apart.

ANyway there isn't really any more fights out there. Manny will probably pick Sugar Shane apart the same way. Manny/PBF is the only fight to make. HOpefully they both know it, and Floyd's camp and ARum can shut the fuck up, quit playing "who's dick is bigger", swallow some pride and make the fight. And as a consolation prize each of them will probably take home about $50 million.

Chichikov

Ninja Scooter said:
"I never thought about stopping it because Antonio would never let me do that". That is supposed to be YOUR decision, idiot. That is why you are the head trainer.
I don't know how the guy can have a job after saying something so fucking dumb.
That's the whole fucking point of your fucking job, you can't trust the boxer with these decisions.

Ninja Scooter said:
ANyway there isn't really any more fights out there. Manny will probably pick Sugar Shane apart the same way. Manny/PBF is the only fight to make. HOpefully they both know it, and Floyd's camp and ARum can shut the fuck up, quit playing "who's dick is bigger", swallow some pride and make the fight. And as a consolation prize each of them will probably take home about $50 million.
Seriously, people need to understand that Mayweather Pacquiao is the last chance of the sport to say (somewhat) relevant.
There is really nothing to look for after it, nothing.
Isn't organized crime still controls big parts of boxing?
Can't they make them an offer they can't refuse?
Anything?
Do I need to behead Zenyatta to get that fight?
Cause I will.
Fucking horses.

Chichikov said:
Seriously, people need to understand that Mayweather Pacquiao is the last chance of the sport to say (somewhat) relevant.
Anything?
Cause I will.
Fucking horses.

someone new will emerge, they always do, the problem is that boxing always just relies on those 2-3 big moneymakers in each era. Back when De La Hoya was on his way down people feared who would take over, at that point Pacman was more of an unknown to the more casual watchers and Floyd was considered a "boring" fighter.

Chichikov

Ninja Scooter said:
someone new will emerge, they always do, the problem is that boxing always just relies on those 2-3 big moneymakers in each era. Back when De La Hoya was on his way down people feared who would take over, at that point Pacman was more of an unknown to the more casual watchers and Floyd was considered a "boring" fighter.
There is much more competition these days, if boxing goes through another 5 years of nothing, I doubt that next great thing will even have an audience when he emerges.

Not to mention that the stakes are just insanely high, think of what pac had to achieve before people even started to pay attention to him.

I think the chances of getting someone that good are not as good as you think.

Madman

theBishop said:
Anyone taking odds on Martinez/Williams II? Comparing their last fights isn't exactly fair, but clearly Martinez looked way better. If I were Martinez, I'd have a model of Pavlik's face above my mantle.

Williams had a rough time of it with that bizarre 4th round disqualification against Cintron, but he wasn't looking dominant in the opening rounds.

Furthermore, Martinez was the underdog against Pavlik while Williams was favored against Cintron.

So I'm picking Martinez for this one.
Williams looked really good in the fourth round against Cintron. I honestly think Cintron stayed down because he knew he was on his way to losing.

As far as who will win, it's too close to all. They are both excellent fighters. If I had to pick, I would go with Williams though.

oneHeero

What a great fight from both sides. Pac always has his best fights against Mexican fighters.

Lmao at harson downplaying that fight. Pbf is still a bitch, calls himself a prize fighter who only fights for money yet is running from his biggest payday.

segarr

Chichikov said:
I don't know how the guy can have a job after saying something so fucking dumb.
That's the whole fucking point of your fucking job, you can't trust the boxer with these decisions.

Anything?
Cause I will.
Fucking horses.
These men made more than the entire UFC roster makes a year I bet.

oneHeero said:
What a great fight from both sides. Pac always has his best fights against Mexican fighters.

Lmao at harson downplaying that fight. Pbf is still a bitch, calls himself a prize fighter who only fights for money yet is running from his biggest payday.

lol Technically Manny is the one who turned the fight down. Both sides are full of it, you are crazy if you don't think Bob Arum is doing as much posturing as Floyd's side is. It's got everything to do with money and ego, not fear. Both of these guys are world class fighters they have no reason to be afraid of each other.

Just wondering.

Floyd insists that Pac's taking performance-enhancing drugs because he believes there was no way for someone like him to win in 7 divisions (now 8).

Why shouldn't be the same applicable for him? "No way for him to win 41 fights and take no loss without taking steroids" or something.

Wolf Akela said:
Just wondering.

Floyd insists that Pac's taking performance-enhancing drugs because he believes there was no way for someone like him to win in 7 divisions (now 8).

Why shouldn't be the same applicable for him? "No way for him to win 41 fights and take no loss without taking steroids" or something.

I think the charge, specifically, is that Pac moves up in weight class but is able to retain his power, which isn't common.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Floyd fanboys are always so butthurt. Guy doesn't want to fight Pac obviously. Boxers are forced to take blood tests anyway, it's part of the rules. He just wants specific ones. Pac should do them indeed, but why? To appeal to Floyd's little ego? Hell no. Guy just has a over-inflated self-esteem. He's just scared a fighter from inferior weight classes can knock the hell out of him. Oh, and Floyd IS a good boxer, excellent counter-puncher. But he has never faced anyone like Pac. His resume is just full of filler fights.

Oh well. I am just hoping we get this match and he gets a beating ;-)

Relix said:
Floyd fanboys are always so butthurt. Guy doesn't want to fight Pac obviously. Boxers are forced to take blood tests anyway, it's part of the rules. He just wants specific ones. Pac should do them indeed, but why? To appeal to Floyd's little ego? Hell no. Guy just has a over-inflated self-esteem. He's just scared a fighter from inferior weight classes can knock the hell out of him. Oh, and Floyd IS a good boxer, excellent counter-puncher. But he has never faced anyone like Pac. His resume is just full of filler fights.

Oh well. I am just hoping we get this match and he gets a beating ;-)

Yeah because unless you call Floyd a "pussy" you must be a butthurt fanboy right? The fact is if these guys really wanted to fight each other, they would. Getting the fight made is very simple act being made complicated by both sides for reasons that are far more complicated than "hey that guy who is a professional fighter and has been fighting since he was 15 must clearly be afraid of another guy!" People said the same thing about the Sugar Shane fight, that Floyd was afraid and would never fight a bigger fighter like Shane, eventually the fight was made. That's how this shit works.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
segarr said:
All I've seen Floyd do is demolish everyone he has faced with speed and defense unmatched. Fuck Pactards.

Guy ducks fights every time. Floyd will just be an unproven P4P champ if he doesn't fight Pac. He'll be remembered by that all the time. He HAS to fight Pac.

Also, I am not a "Pactard" (what the hell are you 13?). I am just rooting for a nice guy who is really awesome. Only fighters I want to win are mine, puertorrican boxers. The others are just for fun and entertainment because I really like the sport and used to box when I was younger.

Relix said:
Guy ducks fights every time. Floyd will just be an unproven P4P champ if he doesn't fight Pac. He'll be remembered by that all the time. He HAS to fight Pac.

who the hell has he ducked? Only guy outside of Pac that he hasn't fought is Paul Williams, but Pac doesn't want a piece of him either.

and yes you seem like you are 13, considering you are throwing out terms like "Floyd fans get butthurt" and "Floyd's a pussy!" and then get offended at being called a "pactard"

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
segarr said:
This fight will happen. IF Manny isn't busy trying to pull a corrupt country back from the brink.

That's another thing I give props to Pac. He's a politic, the #1 figure in his country, and a great boxer with great heart.

I really want to see this goddamn fight done, I don't care if I have to pay a 100 bucks :lol

IF Floyd were really "afraid" of Pac then why would he speak about him so much? If he really had no intention of fighting him he'd tell his camp to never bring him up, certainly wouldn't enter in negotiations with Pac's people. He'd just ignore him, fight other people and tip toe around the "Why won't you fight Manny questions?". It's what both Manny and PBF do with Paul Williams, a guy who I think neither of their camps wants them to fight, both because he's a terrible matchup and probably not the biggest name out there with casual fight fans.

Esch

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
who the hell has he ducked? Only guy outside of Pac that he hasn't fought is Paul Williams, but Pac doesn't want a piece of him either.

and yes you seem like you are 13, considering you are throwing out terms like "Floyd fans get butthurt" and "Floyd's a pussy!" and then get offended at being called a "pactard"

He never went anywhere near Casamayor or Tszyu. He retired oh so conveniently when welterweight was heating up, let the big boys beat up on each other and then come back and pick up the scraps.

His opposition has always been handpicked. That's why his 0 is still intact. And I guess it looks like it always will be.

Ninja Scooter said:

Floyd was the truth at 130 and 135 but since then he has been guilty of cherrypicking, taking the path of least resistance, ducking Margarito along the way. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you don't claim to be the greatest.

There's a lot of hate out there for both Pac and Floyd on the Boxing boards but most of the Pac hate tends to come from PBF fans which isn't a coincidence. You have a lot of Floyd fans out there who are a bit put out that Manny's getting all the plaudits and destroying everyone in his path* while Floyd is sitting out doing nothing other than beating up on women and spouting racist shite.

I never understand why people feel the need to defend their favourite boxer so desperately. You should be a fan of boxing overall, not one boxer's cheerleader. It's not like football (soccer) where you choose your team and that's it for life.

*Unfortunately at catchweights which limits the plaudits from me.

Ninja Scooter said:
IF Floyd were really "afraid" of Pac then why would he speak about him so much? If he really had no intention of fighting him he'd tell his camp to never bring him up, certainly wouldn't enter in negotiations with Pac's people. He'd just ignore him, fight other people and tip toe around the "Why won't you fight Manny questions?". It's what both Manny and PBF do with Paul Williams, a guy who I think neither of their camps wants them to fight, both because he's a terrible matchup and probably not the biggest name out there with casual fight fans.

Williams is over-rated, lost the first Martinez fight and will hopefully lose the rematch which Williams camp has forced Martinez to agree to a catchweight of 158 despite it being for the linear middleweight title. I find that disgraceful to be honest and am sick to death of catchweight fights.

see5harp

I do think Williams is a little overrated, but his size and length is going to be a problem for anyone. He is a more dynamic and active boxer than Kelly Pavlik though. I think Pac and Floyd could probably get to him with a perfect gameplan, but the effort wouldn't be worth much money. There's even less money with the more interesting alternatives with Berto and Timothy Bradley. I'd really like to see Berto get his ass exposed though by an elite fighter. He is really big and strong for the welterweight division. Tim Bradley is legit at his weight and would also be entertaining just because of the hand speed. Don't know if either can trade bombs with Pac though but Tim is pretty slick at times.

Esch

Banned
Williams is a dumb punching rock, but he is good in rematches and martinez is drained. I'm not putting money down on that one.

Tom_Cody

Wolf Akela said:
Just wondering.

Floyd has already put his money where his mouth is. He submitted to a full drug testing regiment for the Mosley fight. He is just asking Manny to do the same.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I was under the impression that another sticking points of the Mayweather-Pacquiao discussion were:

1. Top billing. I'm not sure why this is, since Pacquiao is the one with 8 belts and has been int he public eye more by, you know, fighting.

2. Gloves. Floyd prefers more heavily padded gloves, which reinforces the rumour of his brittle hands. I didn't even know that could be an issue, not that it doesn't make perfect sense though.

see5harp

I really don't think there's any reason to think that Pacquiao should be questioned. He's never failed a test and really the only thing that's changed since he's come up in weight is that he has a very effective right hand. 10 years ago he was the strongest puncher of the lightweights and that hasn't changed. Look at the slow, flat footed opponents he has been fighting. Floyd wants to call the shots but I think Pacquiao has the support of the majority of casual and hardcore fans as well as his peers like Roy Jones Jr., Evander Holyfield, and Larry Holmes.

I do think Floyd has more to lose even if he has the upper hand in the ring with his boxing skills. If the fight never happens, they are both first ballot hall of famers so whatever. I just hope it happens at some point.

SUPREME1

Banned
Tom_Cody said:
Floyd has already put his money where his mouth is. He submitted to a full drug testing regiment for the Mosley fight. He is just asking Manny to do the same.

Which means absolutely nothing.

Governing body: Please submit urine for testing.
Pacquiao: Okay.
Mayweather: Naw, I want him to do a blood test. I did it, he should to. I also want him to do 100 jumping jacks, just like I did this morning. Also, I had waffles and eggs this morning, so why is only having eggs?

Ridiculous.

At this point, Manny has more leverage imo. He's fought so much more over the last few years and dominated. To be fair, Mayweather has dominated his fights as well, but just hasn't been in the ring nearly as much.

Add to that the fact that Pacquiao is just so much more popular than Mayweather at this point. Pacquiao's a humble guy and it comes across clear as day in pre and post fight interviews. People just like him. Mayweather's persona as 'Money May' is off putting to many people. He's classless in his comments and just doesn't appeal to the casual fan as much.

Then you can get into their personal lives. Pacquiao is now a married congressman. While Mayweather has been charged with a felony which stems from an altercation with his baby momma (don't know any other way to put it) and threats he made to his own children.

Smh... I really don't see how people can think Mayweather has any leverage at all. Pacquiao is making plenty of money without Mayweather. Obviously he could make so so much more, but the point is that he's not hurting for cash. I think they should put their egos aside and split it 50/50 across the board. Plenty of cash to keep everyone satisfied.

Mayweather's legacy is also on the line. He's undefeated, but the perception is that he's not fought anyone. True or not, that's what it is. His style, though seemingly flawless, just isn't nearly as exciting as seeing a little guy liek Pacquiao duke it out with bigger guys. It's just more exciting. I've never seen a group of people at a fight party criticize Pacquiao for running or just not engaging and making the fight boring. Never. But I have seen it a few times at Mayweather fights. And while I know why he' doing it, it's just not as exciting.

In the end, I think Mayweather beats Pacquiao in a fight. But if it doesn't go down in the ring, it'll be Mayweather who takes the loss when it comes to public opinion.

Sorry if it seems like I jumped around a lot... because I did. :lol

Top Bottom