• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

A one-punch KO in a top flight matchup...didn't even occur to me that it could happen. I'm speechless.

edit: I'm a Williams fan so obviously heavily biased, but it's so depressing when he was beginning to land clean in that round, and Martinez throws a wild overhand without even looking and knocks him out. Damn.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Weren't they saying that PBF wanted to fight the winner of this fight. I think he may have to rethink it and figure out how to run from this guy. This guy maybe to big for Manny. Sergio can't go that low in weight anymore.

abuC

Ninja Scooter said:
lol Manny or PBF would NEVER fight this guy. And for good reason they would be stupid to do it. He would manhandle them (particularly Manny)

His style and the fact he's bigger than both of them without giving up too much speed is what makes him a bad matchup for both of them.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
abuC said:
His style and the fact he's bigger than both of them without giving up too much speed is what makes him a bad matchup for both of them.

I agree. Where does Sergio go from here if he cant get a fight with either PBF or PAC?

abuC

11-20-2010martinez.jpg

theBishop

Banned
I was there! It was absolutely surreal. The whole crowd was silent for a second and then erupted.

Its kind of a bummer to have a highly anticipated fight end so quickly, but ill never forget that scene. Williams was fucking out. It's tough to say where he goes from here. Id still watch a 3rd fight, but maybe a rematch with Cintron would be more appropriate. Nah who am I kidding, Mayweather would love to fight Williams now.

abuC

theBishop said:
I was there! It was absolutely surreal. The whole crowd was silent for a second and then erupted.

Its kind of a bummer to have a highly anticipated fight end so quickly, but ill never forget that scene. Williams was fucking out. It's tough to say where he goes from here. Id still watch a 3rd fight, but maybe a rematch with Cintron would be more appropriate. Nah who am I kidding, Mayweather would love to fight Williams now.

I don't think Mayweather will fight him, the fact he's a southpaw ontop of being so tall doesn't help.

Paul is going to need a new trainer before he makes a comeback, he hasn't really improved much over the years.

see5harp

Damn Sergio super legit in there. Talking all week like he was going to knock him out and put him away super clean. LOL at catchweight. It didn't matter. Hopefully Sergio can get a following. He looks the part and has now put away "next big american" fighters. He's a little old now to get really huge, but hopefully he gets a following here in states unlike Calzaghe.

theBishop said:

Neither Mayweather nor Pacquaio will touch Williams with a 10 foot pole. Don't count on either fight getting made.

Thinking possibly Williams Cintron II on the horizon.

Esch

Banned
i bet it was crazy in the arena, sensational knockout. Martinez should take on the S6 level contestants, can you imagine what a Dirrell-Martinez comeback would look like?

Man, if Pacquiao could gain about 10 more pounds on fight night a Sergio Martinez-Pacquiao match could happen, but Sergio's just way too fucking big. =/

cthoaa

SSGMUN10000 said:
I agree. Where does Sergio go from here if he cant get a fight with either PBF or PAC?
To Germany!

As middleweight champions, Taylor and Pavlik wouldn't do it. If the bigger fights with Floyd or Manny aren't on the table for Sergio (and after that knockout, they aren't) I think he would be open to going overseas for unification bouts with Sturm, Sylvester. With all the super middleweights (remaining Super Six competitors, Bute) locked up by Showtime for the near future, I don't think there's anything to make him go up.

cthoaa said:
To Germany!

As middleweight champions, Taylor and Pavlik wouldn't do it. If the bigger fights with Floyd or Manny aren't on the table for Sergio (and after that knockout, they aren't) I think he would be open to going overseas for unification bouts with Sturm, Sylvester. With all the super middleweights (remaining Super Six competitors, Bute) locked up by Showtime for the near future, I don't think there's anything to make him go up.
I heard that he's going to showtime after this fight anyway.

MMA, Boxing, whatever, that was one of the most brutal knockouts I've seen in a long time. Never in a million years would I have imagined that ending.

Too bad it didn't come in the a later round -- those guys put on a tremendous show.

BigKaboom2 said:
A one-punch KO in a top flight matchup...didn't even occur to me that it could happen. I'm speechless.

edit: I'm a Williams fan so obviously heavily biased, but it's so depressing when he was beginning to land clean in that round, and Martinez throws a wild overhand without even looking and knocks him out. Damn.
He had hit him with the same punch three times previously in that round, Williams kept leaving himself open for it.

cthoaa

J Tourettes said:
I heard that he's going to showtime after this fight anyway.
I thought Martinez was under contract to HBO, but I guess not. His manager and now promoter say they will be loyal, but for now it seems there's nothing stopping them from moving to Showtime. It'll depend on Showtime's budget and whether there's anything left over for this fight, or if they spent it all on Bute and were only looking to match him vs. their current stable.
"We'll fight anybody, but Sergio is not yet a 168-pounder. Bute is the big guy who generates the big money at 168 pounds, but frankly, Bute has got a three-fight deal with Showtime, and we're sticking with the people [HBO] who helped us to get where we are," said DiBella.

EschatonDX said:
i bet it was crazy in the arena, sensational knockout. Martinez should take on the S6 level contestants, can you imagine what a Dirrell-Martinez comeback would look like?
I have no interest in seeing Dirrell ever fight again, such a waste of talent and a pussy to boot.

Very pleased for Martinez though. Blue corner, announced first, catchweight, smaller purse and he rammed that bullshit back down hbo and Al Haymon's throat with the best ko I've seen for quite some time.

abuC

see5harp said:
Seriously the zoom in on Paul Williams out cold with his eyes wide open is insane. Sergio had his entire body behind that one.

Sergio walked away like he just hit a walk-off homer in the ALCS too :lol

see5harp

abuC said:
Sergio walked away like he just hit a walk-off homer in the ALCS too :lol

The awesome thing is that he was walking to the neutral corner before Paul even his the canvas. Paul was doing alright in the first round, but as someone said earlier, Sergio had already landed the harder shots, and that same left 2 times earlier in the round.

I was surprised when I heard Sergio had been talking all week about KO'ing Williams early, but clearly he did see something from the first fight that made him confident he could land big on Williams.

And he did, he caught Williams a couple times already with that punch before landing it for the kill shot.

Sergio would be a tough matchup for Pacman. Much bigger, but unlike Margarito Sergio wouldn't be moving at half speed compared to Manny. Martinez doesn't come straight forward like most of the guys Pacman has feasted on lately, so Manny's exceptional lateral movement wouldn't play as big a role.

Martinez comes in and out very often, landing then moving away. And if Margarito could hurt Manny, which Manny admitted he did, Sergio could most certainly stop him.

Style wise it's not a great match up for Manny, and the size and speed of Martinez make it a very hard fight for Manny to win, on paper.

see5harp

Size and power is really the only thing I think Pacman would have problems with. I do think Sergio would get touched up a lot in that fight, but the size difference is ridiculous to even consider it. The guy walks around at like 170. If he can get a fight with Bute and beat him, Sergio needs to move up and fight the ample competition like Dirrell, Ward, Abraham, Froch, etc.

Esch

Banned
see5harp said:
Size and power is really the only thing I think Pacman would have problems with. I do think Sergio would get touched up a lot in that fight, but the size difference is ridiculous to even consider it. The guy walks around at like 170. If he can get a fight with Bute and beat him, Sergio needs to move up and fight the ample competition like Dirrell, Ward, Abraham, Froch, etc.

Actually I'd say the biggest thing pac would have problems with is Sergio's speed. The guy is quick on top of the size advantage. He pasted margarito from post to post because he was able to get off first. Would it be the same with Martinez? Probably not, he's harder to hit, faster, smarter, and arguably more powerful at the weight. And he has good counterpunching skills.

Martinez should do work on Bute if he gets the opportunity.

see5harp

EschatonDX said:
Actually I'd say the biggest thing pac would have problems with is Sergio's speed. The guy is quick on top of the size advantage. He pasted margarito from post to post because he was able to get off first. Would it be the same with Martinez? Probably not, he's harder to hit, faster, smarter, and arguably more powerful at the weight. And he has good counterpunching skills.

Martinez should do work on Bute if he gets the opportunity.

Pacquiao would get off first on Sergio or at least throw them first. Sergio may faint and counterpunch like he did with Paul Williams (and score a knockout) but Sergio doesn't have the quickest hands out there. He's obviously one of the strongest guys at that weight class but he's not Joe Calzaghe, Manny or Floyd.

I keep watching the Martinez - Williams fight as it's so short. i feel bad for Williams but there is no way in hell that he was caught by a lucky punch as I've read some people on boxing boards say. Martinez couldn't miss with that punch, he was landing it over and over. The final one he set up beautifully by stepping back, knowing that Williams would come in with his righthand low and BAM! Lights out.

SUPREME1

Banned
jakncoke said:

Came to post this. HBO expects it to rise some as well.

Where's BabyMilo? He asked for real numbers, can't get any more real than HBO. :D

Ties Mike Tyson as the only two fighters to ever draw 1,000,000+ PPV buys, 3 years in a row.

Something, something Mayweather undisputedly more popular something something.

Lol.

PAC is on top of the world. While Mayweather is probably meeting with a defense attorney. His dad's maybe?

smurfx

get some go again
BamYouHaveAids said:
Neither Mayweather nor Pacquaio will touch Williams with a 10 foot pole. Don't count on either fight getting made.

Thinking possibly Williams Cintron II on the horizon.
it will depend on how williams looks in his next match. these kinda k.o's can sometimes ruin fighters. if he comes back and looks like shit then i see both mayweather and pacquiao taking the fight to make themselves look better.

bigfurb

ImperialConquest said:
Came to post this. HBO expects it to rise some as well.

Where's BabyMilo? He asked for real numbers, can't get any more real than HBO. :D

Ties Mike Tyson as the only two fighters to ever draw 1,000,000+ PPV buys, 3 years in a row.

Something, something Mayweather undisputedly more popular something something.

Lol.

PAC is on top of the world. While Mayweather is probably meeting with a defense attorney. His dad's maybe?

But Mayweather, who is facing up to 34 years in jail on felony and misdemeanor charges related to a Sept. 9 domestic violence allegation in Las Vegas, continues to sell better than Pacquiao. The Mayweather-Shane Mosley bout on May 2 sold 1.4 million. Mayweather did nearly twice as well with De La Hoya as Pacquiao did, and his 1 million sales for a September 2009 bout with Juan Manuel Marquez were well more than Pacquiao did in two fights against the great Mexican champion

Quoted from the same article. I think Milo's point still stands, Floyd has proven to be the bigger draw

cthoaa

MZMtF.jpg

Official weights: Marquez 134, Katsidis 135. For Marquez's WBA "Super", WBO lightweight titles + Marquez's Ring Magazine lightweight belt.

Prediction: Marquez comfortable points victory after early bursts from Katsidis.

Wc4k1.jpg

Official weights: Ward 168, Bika 168. For Ward's WBA "Super" super middleweight title. (Ward is the WBA's super champion at 168 pounds; Dmitri Sartison is their regular champion at the weight.)

Prediction: Ward W-I-D-E decision. Messy.

FhfQZ.jpg

Official weights: Abraham 167.2, Froch 166.76. (video - youtube) For vacant WBC super middleweight title. (Title vacated by Kessler - eye.)

Prediction: Carl Froch will knockout Arthur Abraham.

Going to miss at least the Froch fight as I'm out tonight.

Predictions:

Think father time will finally catch up with Marquez tonight, leading to a late tko for Katsidis.

Froch - AA is a pick em for me. If Froch can box the whole fight as he did in the middle rounds vs Pascal he should be able to take it via a close points win or late stoppage. However, if he decides to fight his usual style, I expect AA to catch up with him and take him out in the ninth or thereabouts. Ithink the latter scenario is the more likely so I'm going with AA.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Yes more boxing on tonight. I like Marquez alot but I agree that father time may catch up to him. We will see..still rooting for him in the fight. Don't have favorite in the other fights but I expect Ward and Abraham to win.

Anyone watching Froch vs Abraham at the moment? He's struggling to absorb Froch's punches now, having spent the first 5 rounds with his gloves up.

The ringside entertainment courtesy of Carl Froch's scouse girlfriend is brilliant... although she won't fucking shut up for even a few seconds

"Come on Carl yer doin 'im!"
"Woooooooooooooo"
"Every round Carl! Yer winnin' every round!"

Atrophis

Wow Froch just totally dominated Abraham in every round.

Very impressive from Froch. Stuck to his game plan and showed he can box as well as brawl.

Unanimous decision 120 -108, 120 - 108 and 119 - 110. Pretty funny considering most pundits called it from Abraham.

Top Bottom